Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zenurik popularity vs. the other focus schools. A look at fixing the main problem.

BillyMancer

Hey Tenno!

This is a post I originally made on Reddit, but sharing here based on feedback.

The focus schools, as a whole, are very far from perfect and can do with a lot of love and reworking. The general state of every node in every tree is not what I want to touch on here today. I'll leave that to DE if they decide to do some kind of full focus rework in the future. I want to focus (pun intended) on the reason why Zenurik is vastly more popular than all the other schools.

See Devstream 121 Overview and scroll to the "Focus Earned" chart for clear proof: https://www.warframe.com/news/devstream-121-overview

shj3qmieyr921.jpg

Surprising absolutely no one, Zenurik is far more popular because it gives your warframe a reliable source of energy via Energising Dash. Sure, there are other ways to get energy, some cheaper than others, and not all frames need it. On average though, it far surpasses the other schools in usefulness and versatility, considering all frames and all mission types existing in this game.

If this energy generating component was removed from that tree, Zenurik would certainly still see use, but would be much closer to the other 4 schools in popularity. Likely not even the top school. That is how much this one ability carries the entire school, and the reason why this school is so highly preferred in the community.

Removing the energy generation from Zenurik is however not what I'm suggesting. What I think would be most desirable and useful is giving all school a unique, and different way of gaining energy. I like the fantasy of the operator "fuelling" your Warframe. Some of my suggested effects are really simple and already exist on mods in some form, but should introduce MUCH more options in your build, and motivation to farm focus affinity. Especially now that Focus school can be tied to each loadout slot independently.

My suggestions:

(numbers are only placeholders, and all the sections labelled "Reasoning" is an optional read just to explain my train of thought.)

• Zenurik

• Reduce Energising Dash energy per second from 3 / 3 / 4 / 4 / 5 / 5 to 1 / 1 / 2 / 2 / 3 / 3

• Inner Might gives 0.3 / 0.6 / 1 / 1.3 / 1.6 / 2 energy per second passively.

• Reasoning - This way, the maximum total combined energy per second with Energising Dash and Inner Might is still the same as it is now (5 per sec) but you have the versatility of ALWAYS having a steady 2 energy p/sec generated passively, and also being able to generate the Energising Dash Bubble for non-Zenurik Allies. Also Melee 3.0 is changing/removing channeling, so Inner Might will need reworking anyway.

• EDIT (see notes at end): Seeing as Zenurik looses its energy "niche" if all schools gain energy regeneration, I will propose some ideas on how to give Zenurik a new identity, based around "speed" buffs and debuffs:

• Inner Might slows the movement speed, attack speed, and fire rate of enemies within 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6meters by 10% / 10% / 15% / 15 %/ 20% / 20% in addition to generating 0.3 / 0.6 / 1 / 1.3 / 1.6 / 2 energy per second passively.

• Energising Dash creates a zone of energy for 4 / 4 / 5 / 5 / 6 / 8 seconds. Allies passing through the zone gain 3 / 3 / 4 / 4 / 5 / 5 energy/second for 10 / 15 / 20 / 22 / 25 / 30 seconds, and 10% / 10% / 15% / 15 %/ 20% / 20% increased movement speed, attack speed, and fire rate

• Unairu

• Void spines converts 5% / 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% / 30% of damage on health to energy, and 2% / 4% / 6% / 8% / 10% / 12% damage on shields to energy, in addition to its current effect (5% / 15% / 25% / 50% / 75% / 100% of damage taken is returned to the attacker.)

• Reasoning - We all know how useful damage reflection in this game is (hint: it isn't). This new proposal sticks to the fantasy of Unairu being the "defensive" school. It is a pretty standard "Rage" or "Hunter's Adrenaline" effect, which is far more useful for tanky frames or frames using channeling abilities than the Zenurik effect is. It also adds the unique element that energy can now also be generated on shield damage, which can be amazing on frames like Mesa, Gara or Mag who can generate shields or have damage reduction skills that effects shields. Also frees up a slot for frames who would use the rage effect anyway.

• Naramon

• Affinity Spike grants 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 / 4 energy for each melee attack hitting an enemy, In addition to its current effect (Kills from melee attacks grant 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% / 35% / 45% more affinity.)

• Reasoning - Naramon has always seemed like the "Melee" school, and this stick to that fantasy. Note that this effect can be on Affinity spike or Power spike, it makes no difference. I also intentionally suggested a fixed amount of energy per hit instead of a plain "X% damage done converted to energy" in an attempt to make this more interesting to build around. With this setup, high speed weapons like the Nunchaku, Daggers, etc. can potentially fill your energy pool quite quickly and would be a great school for any melee oriented frame. Possibly broken on Valkyr, but she needs some love anyway 😛

• Vazarin

• Mending unity grants 30% / 40% / 50% / 60% additional Energy when collecting Health Orbs, and additional Health when collecting Energy Orbs to all allies within affinity range, in addition to it its current effect (Increase affinity radius by 10m / 15m / 20m / 25m.)

• Reasoning - This is also a pretty standard "Equilibrium" effect, with the added bonus of granting the ability to allies within Affinity range. What better suits the "Healer/Support" school than giving healing for energy gained and vice versa, and also granting that to allies in a huge area. This effect can also be great on frames who can generate additional health orbs via abilities like Nezha, Nekros or Oberon. Again, this also frees up a slot for any frames that would use equilibrium anyway.

• Madurai

• Phoenix Talons now grants 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% increased elemental AND physical damage. Focus cost to unlock increased from 25,000 / 40,000 / 54,142 / 80,000 to 50,000 / 80,000 / 108,284 / 160,000

• Phoenix Spirit no longer grants increased elemental damage, but instead grants 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 energy every time you kill 5 enemies within 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 second. Kill count and timer is reset after the effect triggers.

• Reasoning - Madurai is the offensive school, so I figured pure murder would suit it best. This effect is all about killing a lot of enemies fast. So while this effect is quite weak in high level enemy/boss encounters or spy missions, it could be very powerful in enemy dense modes with frames like Saryn or low level content (like Void Relic runs) with frames like Ember where kills come fast and often. Phoenix Talons now also has the old effect of Phoenix Spirit cooked in, with double focus cost to compensate for having both effects in one node.

Before any of you shout "OP OP" to any of my suggestions, keep in mind again that not only are the suggested numbers placeholders, but also ask yourself if any of these effects are truly way more universally useful and versatile then Energising dash is.

I understand that Reddit is not the official suggestions sub-forum, but I like posting here and hearing feedback/ideas from my fellow r/Warframe Tenno. I may even shamelessly repost this in the Warframe forums later on, if I feel like it.

Most of all, thanks for reading and feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions 🙂

Cheers,

EDIT: Added suggestions to make Zenurik more useful when all schools have energy generation.

Edited by BillyMancer
  • Like 3

Does it really matter what people are picking for the focus. Its not like your disadvantaged greatly by not being Zenurik (if they had done a full and proper reset of the points when they changed the system i'd have moved all mine into Vaz but they failed to manage that)

• Like 1

Good ideas but might I also suggest reworking focus gains for the daily limit? It's just too slow to reach the daily limit without having that weird feeling like the game is forcing you to use whatever exploit is necessary in order to reach it. It feels completely wrong and anti productive. Talking from personal experience and asking friends around about it I can say that because it is such a slow grindfest people are more likely to go for the obvious fastest, best all around option (Zenurik) because they are discouraged to experiment with other schools. What if after all this grind it would turn out that the schools they are interested in would turn out to be underwhelming? People just don't want to take risks and go for the Zenurik and I'm not talking about Eidolon hunting groups, I'm talking about average players that are still relatively fresh to the game and are probably a majority in that chart. 

Being able to reach daily focus cap relatively fast while doing your day to day routines would probably improve the disparity because people would be encouraged to experiment with schools more while taking less of a risk of wasting their time.

• Like 1

Yay, add Energy to every school so that you can actually remove Zenurik entirely, that's an awesome idea !

They should add melee attacks to the Ignis Wraith too, so that we can avoid switching weapons to slice an enemy in half.

Hint: Zenurik is about Energy/Casting, Naramon Meleeing, Unairu tanking, Vazarin healing, Madurai LOLDAMAGEing. Give Zenurik's only trait to all other schools and congratulations ! You successfully removed 20% of the focuses available.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Yay, add Energy to every school so that you can actually remove Zenurik entirely, that's an awesome idea !

They should add melee attacks to the Ignis Wraith too, so that we can avoid switching weapons to slice an enemy in half.

Hint: Zenurik is about Energy/Casting, Naramon Meleeing, Unairu tanking, Vazarin healing, Madurai LOLDAMAGEing. Give Zenurik's only trait to all other schools and congratulations ! You successfully removed 20% of the focuses available.

That is a pretty close minded way of looking at it. So removing 20% is worse than only 20% being used? I think not. Anyway, I will add some improvement suggestions to Zenurik.

• Like 4

On 2019-01-11 at 9:28 PM, Chewarette said:

Now this is not very constructive.

But back to topic, have you seen many players using Unairu/Vazarin/Naramon/Madurai in regular missions ? I highly doubt it. OP’s suggestions will not kill Zenurik, I’ve seen some usefulness using zenurik outside of energizing dash like void singularity, which basically is a free magus anomaly that I can use to pull enemies. For instance, I can use it to drag enemies to Hydroid’s tentacle for example.

Edited by DrivaMain
  • Like 3

Hmm, 4 energy per melee hit is way too much imo, maybe 6 energy per melee kill? Also, Zenurik will need something extra to make it special, how about a passive that gives maybe 15% efficiency? 

While I really like your ideas for the other schools, I'd have no reason at all to pick Zenurik if those changes happened.

• Like 3

I think the assessment of the issue is correct (Zenurik is more popular because it gives free Energy), the intent of the suggestions is honorable (making every school grant Energy in its own way would definitely help equalize them), and the specifics of the suggestions themselves could be a lot of fun (it'd be cool to let players power their casting in different ways, especially by focusing on melee, tanking, etc.). This could therefore help significantly in bridging the gap between schools, and creating distinct playstyles by tying them to a thing everyone values (i.e. Energy).

Personally, though, I think that still leaves some issues: on one hand, this would create an even more Energy-rich environment at higher levels, where Energy as a constraint is already pretty trivial, and on the other, as an Operator-related feature it wouldn't help at all with newer players struggling to use their abilities. As such, I feel it may be better to simply remove Zenurik's current Energy generation, and instead give warframes passive Energy regen as a baseline. Ideally, the end result should be an environment where newer players would be able to use their abilities reasonably enough to get to actually experience their frame, but where veterans would be at least slightly less able to break the Energy economy (which currently also happens through Energy restores, Trinity, and the piling on of efficiency and max Energy mods on some frames).

• Like 3

I think that the easiest approach - as in minimum programming effort -  without reworks is to just make one additional node of each school way-bound, which would unlock Zenurik`s energy dash to everyone, plus one additional ability from each school. 

I don`t think Zenurik should be nerfed. I heard quite a few voices stating that Zenurik isn`t that good compared to others, and Energy Dash is basically the great magnet. Take it away and Zenurik becomes a dud.

I think energy is too central to the game, it is what fuels the warframes abilities, which is quite the spice that differentiates Warfrme from other games. I compare it to a Vaccuum-level of utility. So, each school should have its own way of getting it.

A more involved approach, is to have each other school have one distinct way to fuel the player`s energy, depending on each one`s focus. like creating eneryg orbs on melee finishers, or having a built-in "Rage" focus node, and so on. Each school would have its own thing. 

I don't thing it would kill Zenurik's specialty, as there is some overlap between schools. Zenurik, for example, has more efficient chanelling, which overlaps with melee. Having a single node with an ability to improve energy regeneration or acquisition on each school would not destroy Zenurik. Zenurik should get an additional node or two to increase its specialty on energy-related stuff though. Like reducing damage suffered inversely proportional to energy stored, and a strength buff directly proportional to energy stored.

Edited by BrazilianJoe

2 hours ago, BillyMancer said:

That is a pretty close minded way of looking at it. So removing 20% is worse than only 20% being used? I think not. Anyway, I will add some improvement suggestions to Zenurik.

Why on earth would I chose Zenurik when one Atterax spin can give me 50 energy, on demand ?

All the other schools have something else to propose. If you put Energy everywhere, Zenurik becomes useless, because you'll never pick "Energy only" when you can have "Energy+Healing" or "Energy+Tanking".

That's why that's better to simply buff other schools, but remaining within their strengthes. Better tanky passives for Unairu and so on.

Edited by Chewarette
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AzureTerra said:

Does it really matter what people are picking for the focus. Its not like your disadvantaged greatly by not being Zenurik (if they had done a full and proper reset of the points when they changed the system i'd have moved all mine into Vaz but they failed to manage that)

Uh yeah you are disadvantaged greatly. Every frame uses energy. What is a frame without energy? Granted, as a veteran with a plethora of energy pizzas and arcane energize, it doesn't bother me, but to newer players, it's a necessity. 

Here's another way to think about it, from my view, your suggestion literally turn zenurik into core of other schools. Which might not be intended.

I would like to suggest turning focus schools into a skill tree like in Path of Exiles. In other words, combining all 5 focus schools into a single tree (if so DE would need to combine/change all focus lenses into a single type tho).

By doing so, we get more freedom ( more theory-crafting which is a bonus) to spec our focus, with some limit of course.

Need damage? Go for nodes on madurai branch

Need energy? Go for nodes on zenurik branch

And so on...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, przemo877 said:

Good ideas but might I also suggest reworking focus gains for the daily limit? It's just too slow to reach the daily limit without having that weird feeling like the game is forcing you to use whatever exploit is necessary in order to reach it. It feels completely wrong and anti productive. Talking from personal experience and asking friends around about it I can say that because it is such a slow grindfest people are more likely to go for the obvious fastest, best all around option (Zenurik) because they are discouraged to experiment with other schools. What if after all this grind it would turn out that the schools they are interested in would turn out to be underwhelming? People just don't want to take risks and go for the Zenurik and I'm not talking about Eidolon hunting groups, I'm talking about average players that are still relatively fresh to the game and are probably a majority in that chart. 

Agreed, though I'd argue it's even worse than you're presenting it. Not only is the Focus grind itself VERY slow, the cost of even having access to that grind in the first - Focus Lenses - is time-consuming and expensive to acquire in the first place, to say nothing of non-removable. So not only does the grind encourage people to stick with just a single Focus School, the cost of "switching" to levelling up another one (and, crucially, switching BACK) is prohibitive. As a result, people just grab whatever they're told is "the best" Focus Tree and don't bother with any of the others. The cost of experimentation is simply not tenable. For most, that means either closing your eyes and picking a Tree at random, picking a Tree because you liked the description of it, or picking Zenurik.

I understand that Focus is intended to be a long-term Investment (even if I don't understand WHY), but I for one would love to be able to upgrade lenses already installed on a weapon and swap to gaining Focus for a different tree without plonking down another 40 Plat for a different Greater Lens.

• Like 1

Zenurik is definitely an appealing focus tree for obvious reasons but I think przemo887 and Steel Rook does a good job hitting on some of the other problems here. A cursory glance online has pretty much everyone telling everyone to take Zenurik as their first tree and given how rough DE has made focus progression without specialization, a lot of people are going to be stuck with their starting tree for a long time. 

Second, the Operator system itself is pretty niche right now. It's an important part Eidolon hunting, but that's a self contained ecosystem and outside of that and one and done story quests they aren't used all that much. Combine that with gear upgrades being part of the aforementioned Eidolon Hunt ecosystem and it means a lot of people aren't going to worry about it much. That means that 8/10 upgrades per tree aren't going to be relevant for those players either. 

That's not to say Zenurik isn't good and some of the other trees aren't pretty bad, but between slow progression, tedious acquisition of upgrades and how much of a walled garden Operator content is, it shouldn't be surprising that a lot of players just throw their first few points into the most ubiquitously useful tree and then never look back.

Anecdotally at least I've wanted to try some of the other trees, only to remember that I'd need to grind lenses, upgrade those lenses, then engage in some cheesy-feeling tactics tangential to the core game in order to efficiently level those things up over the course of a couple weeks and... why would I want to bother with that?

I feel like even without any balance passes if the focus/operator system didn't feel so hostile and disconnected from the rest of Warframe there'd be more variety on that ground alone.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BillyMancer said:

Surprising absolutely no one, Zenurik is far more popular because it gives your warframe a reliable source of energy via Energising Dash.

That is not accurate. It is far more popular because it's is the cheapest way to earn energy.How long is it going to take a player to get their first maxed arcane energized ? You guessed it, some might never ever touch one due to how pricy and rare it is but once you have access to it Zenurik becomes kind of a joke except for some energy hungry frames. Nerfing it over buffing the other schools to reach the values arcanes gives sounds like a very bad idea from my perspective. It's not going to affect players like me who already have access to max arcane energize, it's going to affect a huge majority of the player base who doesn't have access to its basic form or only invested in zenurik (mostly a lot of new players) and it's not going to fix the reason I don't use much of the other schools (no combo duration for naramon, low damage increase for madurai, vazarin being useless because supporting is far more efficient through arcane and inurai not giving enough armor and damage reflected.) 

I would just fix the other schools instead and accept that as of now Zenurik is the excalibur of focus. 

So, here's the thing: You're in the right area, but fundamentally misunderstood the base issue. 

First thing's first: Popularity does not mean imbalance. Even if you could make a game with mathematical certainty of balance it is very unlikely that every choice would have an equal representation. This is extremely easy to demonstrate - colours. Yes, there are a couple of frames that actually interact with colors in Warframe, but even in games where they don't and are 100% aesthetic (and thus "balanced" by their very nature) the popularity is almost always the same: 1st, usually by a large margin, the deepest, darkest, black; 2nd the brightest, purest, white, and then everything else. Again, even in games where neither color grants any benefit whatsoever the trend tends to exist. The reason is equally simple: different things are different attractive, even if they're equally effective. 

So, right off the bat, just seeing Zenurik (or anything else) top charts of *popularity* is, frankly, irrelevant. Neither is there anything wrong with an option being more popular. If people enjoy a thing let them enjoy it. If there are alternative options for people who don't, why should anyone care? This perception of balance as "equal representation" is a fundamental, "form > function", misunderstanding of statistics.

That said, the reason Zenurik is so much more popular than the rest is, in my opinion, equally simple: a base functionality one. 

Using your warframe's skills is fun, and usually the biggest reason you picked your frame to begin with. Running out of energy and not being able to use your skills is not fun.

Now some warframes, like Inaros or Trinity, already achieve infinite (or functionally infinite for any relevant purpose) energy generation. Zenurik allows everyone else to keep up, and removing or nerfing it just means a great deal of "energy intensive" warframes, like Hydroid, to fall further behind in lieu of these frames which don't need the energy school's regen to keep playing the game at high efficiency.

So the real question is: "is Zenurik breaking the game?", to which I don't think anyone can reasonably say it is. The biggest problem design wise in this game is *peak performance achievable*, it's the reason bosses have been such a cluster#*!%, because buff stacking and weapon modding have gotten to a point where you can spike basically infinite damage in a moment trivialising even astronomical health pools. Zenurik doesn't help with this. Zenurik helps with "sustain", with long term fighting. If anything Zenurik is letting "energy intensive" frames solo the game, something they'd otherwise seriously struggle to do. If anything Zenurik is a *necessity*. 

So Zenurik's popularity is not just "Not a problem", it's actually a crutch that significantly *improves* the game for a large majority of the cast. 

Conversely your "fix" is similarly misguided - splitting the energy regen across two traits won't stop people farming Zenurik, the energy need is still there, it'll just make people farm twice as much! For two different traits instead of one! Which, if anything, emphasises the problem. 

The way to "fix the Zenurik problem", if you choose to perceive it as a problem at all which it isn't necessarily, is to either make Zenurik's energy regen baseline, and retool Zenurik for something else, or give other schools similarly efficient ways to regenerate energy in different manners according to their school's "paradigm". 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Xaxma said:

Uh yeah you are disadvantaged greatly. Every frame uses energy. What is a frame without energy? Granted, as a veteran with a plethora of energy pizzas and arcane energize, it doesn't bother me, but to newer players, it's a necessity. 

Yet we all somehow managed before these wretched schools were even a thing. Going by that graph people are using the other schools but at a lesser rate so really what does it matter if people flock to the one with free energy. 

8 hours ago, AzureTerra said:

Yet we all somehow managed before these wretched schools were even a thing. Going by that graph people are using the other schools but at a lesser rate so really what does it matter if people flock to the one with free energy. 

... Barely. 

The era of Warframe was a lot simpler before The Second Dream as well. It didn't explode in popularity until then. 

Don't discredit the mountain of changes since Focus first came. 

• 1 month later...

or, they can make all schools active all the time, something like a skill tree, you keep all the passives and chose between the actives to make a build, instead of being locked to only one school at a time. that way you can feel that you didn't take all that effort just to use it in situational content.

edit: i also agree that farming focus to daily cap should be WAAAAY easier, casuals hardly hit the cap, and they are over 90% of the player base, the orb thingy sucks hard to, even hitting the cap daily it will take a lot of time to max out everything, so content for months granted.

Edited by jibaro87
  • Like 1

Seems to me the smoothest, most sensible, and in-game believable way to get people to start picking other schools is to have every squad member start every mission at full energy.

It's pretty silly that we don't. There's no need to heal, load or sharpen our weapons at start. Why not have full energy?

Edited by (PS4)Mpeach45
  • Like 1

Im not only for the sake of saying it hardly was thought-out on an actual playtrough but almot ALL the option you give to the other schools ar TOO op, except maybe the one on picking energy orbs wich would be the less used except if it works like Arcane Energize and can give energy when you are using an ability that consumes energy over time. 

En 11/1/2019 a las 10:28, BillyMancer dijo:

Void spines converts 5% / 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% / 30% of damage on health to energy, and 2% / 4% / 6% / 8% / 10% / 12% damage on shields to energy, in addition to its current effect (5% / 15% / 25% / 50% / 75% / 100% of damage taken is returned to the attacker.)

Nidus/Inaros would have infinite energy, period. You might have to spam you abilities to make it go down. It can also be noted to any frame with high base HP wich could be builded to have enough HP to handle one or two hits. Add that to [Quick Thinking] and you are, literally, immortal. 

Affinity Spike grants 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 / 3 / 3.5 / 4 energy for each melee attack hitting an enemy, In addition to its current effect (Kills from melee attacks grant 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% / 35% / 45% more affinity.)

Primed Reach + Aterax (pick the high range weapon of choise) + Spin Attack in the middle of a not so big group of enemies = instant full energy
I wont even analize it on top of a frame who can blow the map if dont have to worry about being out of energy. 

• Phoenix Talons now grants 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% increased elemental AND physical damage. Focus cost to unlock increased from 25,000 / 40,000 / 54,142 / 80,000 to 50,000 / 80,000 / 108,284 / 160,000

• Phoenix Spirit no longer grants increased elemental damage, but instead grants 5 / 10 / 15 / 20 energy every time you kill 5 enemies within 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 second. Kill count and timer is reset after the effect triggers

Giving that bonus damage AND, on top of that, free energy. Why dont just we put an "Instant finish" button on the top right corner of the missions to skip to the exit while achieving victory? 
If you think im being toxic, think in why people brings Trinity to ESO and not 3 DPS. Now, to make it on normal gameplay, imagine Equinox having 20 extra energy instant every 5 enemies. Now, do the same with any AoE nuker frame who can kill with skills (Saryn, Volt). And, to make things even better, give 25% more damage to whatever you imagined.
Killing enemies is an easy task to do, also this would make energy orbs a non-sense

also ask yourself if any of these effects are truly way more universally useful and versatile then Energising dash is.

Are somethings that you probably ALWAYS will do in warframe:
 - recive damage
 - farm spaming melee
 - Kill enemies
So, what are you sugesting is giving free energy without even having to use your operator.
"But you, Sarus, you are only here to criticize, Zenurik is more OP that it"
Zenurik have a downfall that any of this suggestions have: it doesnt gives energy, it gives energy regen. Energy regen might help you to keep you from having to use Energy Siphon, but with an Energy hungry frame you cant keep up. Almost every on thoose options are infinite energy for some group of frames. You CANT give them energy directly cause it bypass the energy regen cut from regen drain abilities and also can become too much energy in the right situation. 

I agree in something: lot of focus talents are lackluster or even haves no sense at all to choose over some energy regen. Madurai have good pasive bonuses, but you are over the requiered damage in almost all situations, so isnt needed. Similar with Naramon, using finishers is slow in almost every situation, loosing combo is something you can work over and not requiered except for very long runs. Vazarin and Unairu have a similar issue, healing or reducing enemy damage when in the most cases killing the enemies is a better and faster way to avoid death. 
How to fix them? I think a lot of the posible solutions were used to make Arcanes, that why out there are a lot of expensive and very usefull arcanes but using them also as talents can be broken and also will overlap the sense of using one or the other. 
Chance to heal when hitted, used. Give attack speed on hit, used. Extra armor (real extra armor, not unairu joke), used. Chances to avoid elemental effects, used. 
I didnt want to look agresive, but i also want to make other schools more usefull, but this isnt the way.