Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prisma Dual Cleavers - Is Range Worth It?

Kemenril

Question

So the biggest drawback to Prisma Dual Cleavers is the range. It's piddly. 

Is it worth taking up a mod slot with Primed Reach to improve this? From what I understand, higher base range benefits more from % increases than lower base range. (Range seems very poorly explained, even by WF standards.) 

Anybody with experience to suggest it's worth building this stat up, or just focus in on other stats?

14 answers to this question

Weapon Reach is an entirely conditional damage output stat.

It's not realistic to give a certain answer and would require some serious math involving all mission types, enemy spawn rates and enemy AI.

Yes numerically weapons with higher base Range get a higher bonus from Reach but there's also diminishing effect based on enemy placement and more recently terrain. There's really no way to tell you if it's worth it long as Reach allows the weapon to hit an enemy you normally wouldn't hit because the moment Reach allows that, it's one of the best Damage mods on the weapon and any other time it's a wasted slot. I've seen this with all weapons of every type.

It comes down to preference, whether or not you use melee auto-target and the mission at hand. There are even special build case scenarios. Dual Swords have a very mean ground finisher and Reach works on that ground finisher. A frame capable of clumping enemies together would benefit more from Reach on dual swords than others.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (XB1)Pugs Xbox said:

Noob here, just bought the duel prisma cleavers, why would range matter on a weapon like this?

First off: congrats! They are a brutally vicious weapon.

All weapons have an innate range, which bridges the gap between your model and the target. Longer range, the further away you can be from your target. So a whip will have a longer range than a dagger, for example. 

Longer range means potentially being able to hit more enemies at once, or being able to hit enemies at longer range. It's one of the reasons polearms and staves are so popular. 

Range mods extend these base ranges. So the bigger the base range, the bigger effect a % increase will have. (10% of 100 is more than 10% of 50, for example.) 

1 minute ago, Kemenril said:

First off: congrats! They are a brutally vicious weapon.

All weapons have an innate range, which bridges the gap between your model and the target. Longer range, the further away you can be from your target. So a whip will have a longer range than a dagger, for example. 

Longer range means potentially being able to hit more enemies at once, or being able to hit enemies at longer range. It's one of the reasons polearms and staves are so popular. 

Range mods extend these base ranges. So the bigger the base range, the bigger effect a % increase will have. (10% of 100 is more than 10% of 50, for example.) 

Did he just act like I have no idea what range is? I get it. But I would not imagine cleavers having much range anyway. 

Cleavers goes from ~2m to ~4m with Primed Reach.

Nothing else to really say I didn't mention in my previous post except I would suggest trying with and without Melee auto-target as Melee auto-target diminishes the performance of weapon reach on majority of weapons, not just Dual Swords. I only use it on Hysteria because she's otherwise uncontrollable.

Edited by Xzorn

Not worth an entire mod slot, 

However if you get it as an additional stat (along other good stats) on a riven then I wouldn't complain. 

Something like + range, + CD, +status, - infested damage would be very good. 

I have a riven with range and the difference though not very large is nice to have. 

On 2019-01-11 at 5:16 PM, (XB1)Pugs Xbox said:

Did he just act like I have no idea what range is? I get it. But I would not imagine cleavers having much range anyway. 

• identifies self as noob, asks for advice
  • receives advice, identifies self as 1337
  • story checks out 

5 hours ago, Kemenril said:
  • identifies self as noob, asks for advice
  • receives advice, identifies self as 1337
  • story checks out 

Range is not just from Warframe

Also, not a noob in terms of progression, I'm MR 14. But I've only been playing for 70 days so I don't know how all the systems work.

40 minutes ago, (XB1)Pugs Xbox said:

Range is not just from Warframe

Also, not a noob in terms of progression, I'm MR 14. But I've only been playing for 70 days so I don't know how all the systems work.

Lol I've been playing for like a year and a half and I'm mr15 or 16. And no range mods for cleavers, the only weapons that really benefit are the staff type things because they have lots of range to begin with so adding another 100% becomes huge. Something like cleavers with 1-2m of range there's no point in trying to double it when there are other mods that give DPS etc.

29 minutes ago, hooperinius said:

Lol I've been playing for like a year and a half and I'm mr15 or 16. And no range mods for cleavers, the only weapons that really benefit are the staff type things because they have lots of range to begin with so adding another 100% becomes huge. Something like cleavers with 1-2m of range there's no point in trying to double it when there are other mods that give DPS etc.

It's the only game I've played since I began. But as of two days ago I'm returning to Destiny. 1 not 2. But I will continue to play Warframe.

Also to your point, I agree. Cleavers shouldn't have range and 1-2m is not worth it. There is no difference. 

Edit: Tomorrow will be my 70th login day

Edited by (XB1)Pugs Xbox