Sign in to follow this  
(PS4)JCM_Unlimited

Mesa Changes

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone

I'd like to start by saying that Mesa is my favorite frame. With that being said, I know that there are other frames that are in dire need of attention but I don't think that should prevent discussion on how good frames can be better.

The main 2 aspects of her kit that I'd like to talk about are her 1 and 2 respectively. We all know what they do so I'll forgo the explanation of each and instead focus on what they currently lack and changes I would suggest. I feel that by improving these two abilities Mesa can be used for more than just her PM and SS maybe have more overall use diversity.

Ballistic Battery:

As it is - Outside of some niche uses on mid level heavy enemies (70-100), this ability lacks any real depth.

1. It's overly specialized to only really benefit high damage single shot weapons

2. Has zero crowd application

3. An abysmally low damage cap that scales terribly.

Changes - What I'd like to see changed is that ballistic battery gets better synergy with multiple weapons and adds scaling and crowd clear capabilities to improve use.

1. Upon it's second activation, which loads up the stored damage, it instantly reloads the currently equipped weapon and bolsters the entire magazine. The stored damage is evenly distributed amongst all the "rounds" in the magazine. If you reload prematurely before using all of the magazine then you simply lose the bolstered rounds. This would make all weapons potentially viable.

2. Add punch through to all bolstered shots. I'm not sure exactly how much punch through but any amount would make it far better at crowd clearing than it currently is.

3. Cap should be removed entirely in favor of a damage window similar to Nyx's new mind control. The window would start around 5 secs and be affected by duration. Power strength would determine absorption percentage of the damage dealt. So at base about 50% of the damage dealt would be absorbed up to a max of 150% or 1.5x damage absorption at 250 power strength.

Shooting Gallery:

As it is - currently shooting Gallery provides a decent CC and forgettable damage boost. It's not by any means a bad ability but once you turn it on, there's zero interaction with it. It's sole purpose is to protect you from melee enemies while sweeping PM over the map

1. The damage boost even when modded for (250+ power strength) just doesn't feel very rewarding.

2. The enemies affected are not very well shown

3. Once activated, it's just a timer and requires zero interaction

Changes - Shooting Gallery should be the skill that rewards interaction with it's unique traits and keeps the players attention.

1. Instead of another flat damage boost, the skill should adopt the role of a debuff. Enemies affected by the energy lasso (so the entire time their gun is jammed) take increased damage from all sources. The amount of the debuff is determined by power strength and would be similar in that aspect to nezha's blazing chakram.

2. Enemies affected are highlighted with Mesa's energy color to improve visibility.

3. This one might upset some people. I believe the duration should be cut down drastically from what it currently is. At base it's 30 but I think it should be closer to 15 sec unaffected by duration. Instead it should adopt a trait found in harrows covenant augment that killing an enemy (headshots not required) under the effect of shooting Gallery extends the duration by 3 secs. This however can be affected by duration to be a max of 5 seconds added per enemy killed. This means that it has the potential to go on indefinitely as long as you're killing the marked enemies. 

Let me know what you guys think.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think her one shouldn’t be affected by the weapon she’s using. Let it just be a 1 shot ability that isn’t affected by the weapon’s stats, maybe just the mods. Give it decent crit and status 50%-ish and a set amount of damage, since it’s a first ability and doesn’t need that much for what it costs. Also give the shot decent punchthrough

 

the charge up for it is clunky imo, so I suggest that you make it a unique toggle, it’ll drain energy (generously) in the damage storing part, when you reach max damage it’ll stop draining, when you fire it you can store more damage and the energy drain continues, and so on. That way you don’t need to keep using it after every shot which gets annoying.....or just reduce the casting animation by a lot 

 

  For her 2nd, your whole reason is to make her more interactive...I don’t see why she particularly needs that, there’s nothing wrong with timer abilities, so a no from me....though I do like your 2nd suggestion about energy highlights 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was thinking about something similar with Balistic Battery: A damage boost for a limited time instead of a single shot but I think a buff for the entire magazine could work as well. But what about things like Bow´s and her ultimate? They don´t have a magazine size.

For the damage cap I think the way it works currently is fine (when including the changes). Storing this much dps could be overpowered against bosses, eidolon, etc.

Also would the punch through affect her ultimate as well? Might be a bit strong considering the line of sight restriction is one reason Peacemaker isn´t totally overpowered.

About Shooting Gallery: Since Balistic Battery would provide a massive dps increase I don´t think another damage buff (or enemy debuff) would be ballanced. Not sure what to do with this one but I think it should offer utility/cc only. Maybe a bit more consistent though.

However one thing I´d add is the ability to use you 1,2 and 3 during her ultimate.

Edited by Arcira

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

I think her one shouldn’t be affected by the weapon she’s using. Let it just be a 1 shot ability that isn’t affected by the weapon’s stats, maybe just the mods. Give it decent crit and status 50%-ish and a set amount of damage, since it’s a first ability and doesn’t need that much for what it costs. Also give the shot decent punchthrough 

I feel like that wouldn't be at all truly unique you know? Like there are plenty of frames that have a basic damage dealing 1 and none of those (aside from atlas and khora) scale very well. Then you have frames that have their entire kit built around their one like Saryn and Octavia and both of those are insane abilities that still only cost 25 energy. Even outside of those 2 outliers there are frames that just have really solid utility 1's like Garuda or Nova or Ivara. I guess what I'm saying is that flat 1 shot damage wouldn't really make it much better or different than it currently is and if need be an energy increase could be applied for balance.

 

32 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

the charge up for it is clunky imo, so I suggest that you make it a unique toggle, it’ll drain energy (generously) in the damage storing part

Damage storing? I thought you didn't want it to be affected by the weapon you were using at all aside from mods.

35 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

 For her 2nd, your whole reason is to make her more interactive...I don’t see why she particularly needs that, there’s nothing wrong with timer abilities, so a no from me....though I do like your 2nd suggestion about energy highlights 

I can see why you may not agree, timer abilities aren't innately bad at all. I just felt like the buff to her 2 that I propose would be ridiculous if it didn't require some player input to keep it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove the cap from BB but keep it as a single powerful attack because what you suggested would make it 'just another flat damage boost' skill, this way we can store up damage to deal with a pesky Nox or Bombard when needed instead of getting a potentially massive damage boost' only to run into light units for the duration. 

I don't see a problem with her SG but I had a thought of giving it a buff where allies affected by it does increased secondary damage because it would make sense with her gunslinger theme I think. Reducing the duration won't do any good and will just make it a minor hassle of having to recast it more frequently which locks her in place and vulnerable do attacks, they did the same thing for Limbo incase you forgot which changed absolutely nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

Remove the cap from BB but keep it as a single powerful attack because what you suggested would make it 'just another flat damage boost' skill, this way we can store up damage to deal with a pesky Nox or Bombard when needed instead of getting a potentially massive damage boost' only to run into light units for the duration. 

It would be damage boost reliant upon the damage you can deal and have a different firing effect dependant upon the weapon you use. You could still have a powerful shot if you have a smaller magazine size like a sniper. I feel like it just gives the player more options and utility. If theres a crowd then you can count on the added punch through to help get through them.

31 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

I don't see a problem with her SG but I had a thought of giving it a buff where allies affected by it does increased secondary damage because it would make sense with her gunslinger theme I think. Reducing the duration won't do any good and will just make it a minor hassle of having to recast it more frequently which locks her in place and vulnerable do attacks, they did the same thing for Limbo incase you forgot which changed absolutely nothing.

You won't necessarily have to recast it at all if you kill the enemies that it marks for you. That was the whole premise of what I'd suggested. Like yes you have less duration at base but by having a more targeted playstyle you can have infinite duration

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do DE read any of this?

I wish Mesa would stop putting her fingers into imaginary faeces every 30 seconds.

A herd of buffalo did not just pass through the cockpit of our spaceship and even if they did I don't care which way they went anyway.

Further this is a characteristic of a trapper, not a gunslinger, bounty hunter, or cowgirl.

Game designers need to come to terms with the concept of "willing suspension of disbelief", and like movie makers stop ruining their own creations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, .Lazza. said:

Do DE read any of this?

I wish Mesa would stop putting her fingers into imaginary faeces every 30 seconds.

A herd of buffalo did not just pass through the cockpit of our spaceship and even if they did I don't care which way they went anyway.

Further this is a characteristic of a trapper, not a gunslinger, bounty hunter, or cowgirl.

Game designers need to come to terms with the concept of "willing suspension of disbelief", and like movie makers stop ruining their own creations.

I kinda appreciate the little details they add in the frames stances

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-01-12 at 9:20 PM, (PS4)JCM_Unlimited said:

An abysmally low damage cap that scales terribly.

At face value, it certainly looks that way, but it gets added to your base damage after Serration. Which means that elementals and crit mods apply to this damage, and so you can get pretty crazy damage numbers with it. And it’s also used when calculating the damage of any slash procs you might inflict. 

It most likely needs some kind of AoE component and/or a QoL fix to make chaining it easier, but I’d say the damage component of this ability doesn’t actually need much of a change at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

At face value, it certainly looks that way, but it gets added to your base damage after Serration. Which means that elementals and crit mods apply to this damage, and so you can get pretty crazy damage numbers with it. And it’s also used when calculating the damage of any slash procs you might inflict. 

It most likely needs some kind of AoE component and/or a QoL fix to make chaining it easier, but I’d say the damage component of this ability doesn’t actually need much of a change at all. 

The damage that it adds can be good if you get lucky. I run the tenora on my Mesa because of it's ability to Alt fire a single round with increased damage and crit chance and when the stars align perfectly I've seen it one shot a level 200 Heavy Gunner. This however was do to the fact that I got an orange crit slash proc alongside a viral status tick on a 199% power strength fully charged ballistic battery. The odds of that happening with ANY consistency might as well be non-existent not to mention it literally removed the innate puncture that the tenora alt fire normally has. I know you only pointed out the damage aspect of it so I assume you agree with the other two problems but even the damage is way to inconsistent. At least for me it is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this