Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe mention on Penny Arcade today

motorfirebox

Today's news post at Penny Arcade mentions Warframe as possibly "instructive" to Bungie in its newfound freedom. I thought it was a nice tip of le old chapeau.

I don’t know what happens from here.  Is Warframe instructive?  Possibly; I’d say that’s something like the optimal outcome: a game that becomes an unapologetic version of itself with continuous additions of labor and communion with its audience.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2019/01/14/survivors-guilt

• Like 3

well, at least now Bungie is free to go their own way. if they ended up making more profit now than they did under Activision's nose, that would be hilarious. 

I think a lot of developers could learn a thing or two from how DE does things, but we're still in the age of greed, where games are designed more for Shareholders than actual gamers. all dynasties must come to an end eventually though..

• Like 2

Just another thought:

If this goes well it might lead to other studios going independent. It could lead to a snowball effect where companies reject buy-outs or possibly even publishers crashing. Activision's already staring down the barrel of a class-action lawsuit. Of course, this is conditional on it actually going well, but we could be on the cusp of an Indie revolution.

• Like 2

Il y a 6 heures, (PS4)robotwars7 a dit :

well, at least now Bungie is free to go their own way. if they ended up making more profit now than they did under Activision's nose, that would be hilarious. 

Actually, i believe Bungy has signed up for five Destiny game. You know here this lead...

8 minutes ago, Marekthejester said:

Actually, i believe Bungy has signed up for five Destiny game. You know here this lead...

Pretty sure the new deal (Bungie is free to leave and is permitted to take Destiny with them) over writes the previous deal (Bungie sold their souls on a ten year contract to make Destiny for Activision.)  Which is part of why some of the investors are currently having a rage-induced stroke.  Not only did Activision let go of a profitable studio, they let them *keep* the valuable IP they'd created.  The investors are imagining all their intangible future profits fluttering out the window.  Which is probably why a bunch of them are screaming "Lawsuit!"

Personally, I can't read Penny Arcade.  Half the comics read like private jokes between the two of them.  Most of the time I'm not even sure what game they're referring to.  And the text blog doesn't help.  The writer is striving so strenuously to sound erudite that it increasingly feels as though he's tossing in words just to push the syllable count up.  (My own weak attempt at parody of his style of prose.)  I'm sure his writing is very competent and artistic.  But 90% of the time, I have no clue what the hell he's talking about.  😞

8 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Just another thought:

If this goes well it might lead to other studios going independent. It could lead to a snowball effect where companies reject buy-outs or possibly even publishers crashing. Activision's already staring down the barrel of a class-action lawsuit. Of course, this is conditional on it actually going well, but we could be on the cusp of an Indie revolution.

While I'd like to see that, Bungie was in a special position. Activision only had publishing rights to Destiny and Bungie technically still owns the IP. Other companies won't be so lucky and will have to essentially start from scratch when leaving their big daddy producers.

3 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

While I'd like to see that, Bungie was in a special position. Activision only had publishing rights to Destiny and Bungie technically still owns the IP. Other companies won't be so lucky and will have to essentially start from scratch when leaving their big daddy producers.

True indeed. It'd have to go very well to seriously flourish for this to happen.

But, hey, I'm an optimist.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

Who do you think hosts Pax? Aka the Penny Arcade Expo.

Pfffttt.

I never put that together.

Penny Arcade was this nerdy website with goofy comics. Never thought about it after highschool.