Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Io 2.3.1 (New planet) Order of Frames, Skyfire Protocol, Unity

BlackDiamondAce

On 2019-04-01 at 7:11 PM, HugintheCrow said:

Daily reminder that Uranus has no ocean of water and no breathable atmosphere.

Daily reminder that there is no terraforming coolant towers on Venus.

Daily reminder that none of that matters in Warframe.

Titania and oberon are moons of Uranus and scientist believe these moons may have water.

3 hours ago, (XB1)Nightseid said:

Titania and oberon are moons of Uranus and scientist believe these moons may have water.

Cool, I know that though and it's irrelevant to my post.

Read what I said again:

On 2019-04-02 at 1:11 AM, HugintheCrow said:

(implied IRL) Uranus has no ocean of water 

Meanwhile, in the Warframe universe...

Submerged deep below Uranus’ (not it's moons) oceanic surface, and hidden from prying eyes, is a research facility for cloning and reproduction. Water pressure at these extreme depths put massive strain on the glass and steel structures housing these operations, but as freshly sprung leaks remind of the impending crushing force surrounding them, the Grineer forge ahead with their experiments.

—Uranus Fragment

If you look at posts above the one you quoted, you'll see a guy arguing that this concept's Io shouldn't be a jungle because IRL Io is not a jungle. My comment was showing how it is fallacious to use the IRL argument when it comes to Warframe's world.

Edited by HugintheCrow

On 2019-04-01 at 6:11 PM, HugintheCrow said:

Daily reminder that Uranus has no ocean of water and no breathable atmosphere.

Actually, Uranus does likely have a mantle of liquid water and ammonia under the outer layers of water vapor, ice crystals, and methane gas, and that this produces its magnetic field. Pressure from the gas above and dissolved minerals would make the water more difficult to freeze and allows the water to conduct electricity in order to produce this magnetic field. It even likely has a small rocky core, likely composed of denser material the gas giant has accumulated over its life in the outer rings.

Edited by xZeromusx

16 hours ago, xZeromusx said:

Actually, Uranus does likely have a mantle of liquid water and ammonia under the outer layers of water vapor, ice crystals, and methane gas, and that this produces its magnetic field. Pressure from the gas above and dissolved minerals would make the water more difficult to freeze and allows the water to conduct electricity in order to produce this magnetic field. It even likely has a small rocky core, likely composed of denser material the gas giant has accumulated over its life in the outer rings.

Look at my above comment and stop derailing.

5 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

Look at my above comment and stop derailing.

I'm simply countering your misinformation. Your above comments, you make the case that Warframe doesn't take into account the real world environments of the celestial bodies in our solar system when nothing could be further from the truth. It also derails the post, since this was about Io, not Uranus or Venus. Venus absolutely has a tumultuous atmosphere that could be used to fuel a massive storm on its surface, which is more or less what it appears the corpus are doing with the coolant in the environment. Uranus most likely has an ocean as well. Your argument that Warframe doesn't take the real world environments of these planets into consideration, that it doesn't matter in Warframe, is what is fallacious here, and not really supported by the evidence thus far in the game. The real world environment matters, and the OP has addressed Io's real world environment with their post already.

I think Io could work well as a jungle themed planet due to Orokin Terraforming. It's a working concept, but first, you'll need to address the electromagnetic field of Jupiter, which is what rips apart Io's spotty atmosphere. The power generators are a good start, but I wouldn't focus on making them geothermal power generators. Instead, I would suggest electromagnetic power generators that protect Io from Jupiter's electromagnetic field while creating sustainable electricity for the people living on its surface. That's going to be the first hurdle to tackle in creating any kind of atmosphere on Io that doesn't get ripped away by Jupiter. Geothermal energy created by tidal forces in the case of Io would be beneficial to creating and maintaining any kind of atmosphere. The reason that Io makes a great jungle location is also because of its rich mineral resources. It has vast plains of sulfur dioxide gas and frost. This is extremely corrosive. A frozen hell scape of corrosive ice is what the poles are most likely to be, and fitting that the game already has corrosive damage in it. However, where the lava flows is where you're most like to find vegetation. Io's volcanoes produce lava flows of basalt silicate, which is perfect for growing foliage. The goal of the terraforming shouldn't be so much to reduce the volcanic activity, but to reduce the electromagnetic stripping of Io's atmosphere by Jupiter and to control the lava flow in a way that is beneficial to the growth of new plant life in barren areas.

This is why you don't just ignore real world physics. This is why a lot of the environments that Warframe has created have not actually been completely unreasonable. Sci-fi isn't just do whatever and write it off as scientific make believe. The best sci-fi often first starts with a significant amount of what science already knows, then filling in some of the gaps between what is real and what we're imagining.

Edited by xZeromusx

11 minutes ago, BlackDiamondAce said:

could the OP request you guys keep discussion relevant.  This is space-magic that makes the everything have the roughly same amount of gravity.

I was giving you suggestions to your OP when your friend decided to jump down my throat in PM, but whatever. I am making a suggestion for Io that rather than geothermal, you use electromagnetic generators to maintain the terraforming of Io. Most everything else fits believably well for making Io into a volcanic jungle type area. It's a pretty good idea so far. The power generators are my only critique of it. Yeah, the gravity is altered, seemingly by technology, such as in the case of creating our gravimag deployable weapons. That's a pretty common technology used in sci-fi. However, this game seems to have magnetism, corrosion, and damage from a lack of atmosphere. So this minor change to the generators would make your idea fool proof from those issues that faces Io in the real world. You'd have a more scientifically believable environment this way which would lead to your desired results. However, geothermal power generators, in reality, would almost lead to the exact opposite, with less volcanic activity, a thinner or no atmosphere, and a barren landscape. I know you're operating on the suspension of belief, a lot of the game does. However, a relatively minor change would literally make your concept much more believable and closer to the realm of reality with very little need for the suspension of belief.

2 hours ago, xZeromusx said:

I was giving you suggestions to your OP when your friend decided to jump down my throat in PM, but whatever. I am making a suggestion for Io that rather than geothermal, you use electromagnetic generators to maintain the terraforming of Io. Most everything else fits believably well for making Io into a volcanic jungle type area. It's a pretty good idea so far. The power generators are my only critique of it. Yeah, the gravity is altered, seemingly by technology, such as in the case of creating our gravimag deployable weapons. That's a pretty common technology used in sci-fi. However, this game seems to have magnetism, corrosion, and damage from a lack of atmosphere. So this minor change to the generators would make your idea fool proof from those issues that faces Io in the real world. You'd have a more scientifically believable environment this way which would lead to your desired results. However, geothermal power generators, in reality, would almost lead to the exact opposite, with less volcanic activity, a thinner or no atmosphere, and a barren landscape. I know you're operating on the suspension of belief, a lot of the game does. However, a relatively minor change would literally make your concept much more believable and closer to the realm of reality with very little need for the suspension of belief.

A) its space ninja magic, who cares about realism, I wanna slice and dice with reckless abandon.

B) I understand the science, I spend a lot of my free time trying to learn new things about literature, dialects, and the sciences.  World building is a hobby for me.

C) Hugin is a bit of an arse tbh.  a friendly one if you spend the time, but he got the axe for taunting and breaking rules in a "special" discord I cant talk about here.

Regardless, I understand the science, but since we have fun space magic.  Why not have a fun melancholy Io bathed in rain?

1 minute ago, BlackDiamondAce said:

A) its space ninja magic, who cares about realism, I wanna slice and dice with reckless abandon.

B) I understand the science, I spend a lot of my free time trying to learn new things about literature, dialects, and the sciences.  World building is a hobby for me.

C) Hugin is a bit of an arse tbh.  a friendly one if you spend the time, but he got the axe for taunting and breaking rules in a "special" discord I cant talk about here.

Regardless, I understand the science, but since we have fun space magic.  Why not have a fun melancholy Io bathed in rain?

It's all cool. Io bathed in rain? Absolutely. You want a jungle type of setting, right? You're definitely going to need weather patterns, and rain is actually a common occurrence with volcanic activity. Known as cloud seeding, volcanic gas and particulate launched during eruptions help trigger the formation of water droplets in the Earth's atmosphere. Nothing would make more sense on a volcanic moon that has been terraformed than heavy rain.

Just now, xZeromusx said:

It's all cool. Io bathed in rain? Absolutely. You want a jungle type of setting, right? You're definitely going to need weather patterns, and rain is actually a common occurrence with volcanic activity. Known as cloud seeding, volcanic gas and particulate launched during eruptions help trigger the formation of water droplets in the Earth's atmosphere. Nothing would make more sense on a volcanic moon that has been terraformed than heavy rain.

lets completely ignore the Orokin's attempt to freeze Io like Venus, and that failed leaving a massive amount of water that was seeded with life, cause that's the Orokin for ya.

2 minutes ago, BlackDiamondAce said:

lets completely ignore the Orokin's attempt to freeze Io like Venus, and that failed leaving a massive amount of water that was seeded with life, cause that's the Orokin for ya.

Yeah, you'd need massive amounts of water too, as Io is expected to be very dry, or worse, covered with Sulfur Dioxide in various states. A massive amount of water can be created from the Sulfur Dioxide on the planet by introducing Hydrogen Sulfide. This is known as the Claus Process in oil refining. You end up with elemental Sulfur and Water. Terraforming Io is not as sci-fi as people might think. It's been seriously considered before, still is. Also, I think you're not off base either with using geothermal energy. One method that has been seriously considered is in fact using geothermal energy to create an electromagnetic field for Io to protect it from Jupiter's equivalent of the Van Allen radiation belt. So, stick to your original idea. You're definitely on the right path there too.

2 minutes ago, xZeromusx said:

Yeah, you'd need massive amounts of water too, as Io is expected to be very dry, or worse, covered with Sulfur Dioxide in various states. A massive amount of water can be created from the Sulfur Dioxide on the planet by introducing Hydrogen Sulfide. This is known as the Claus Process in oil refining. You end up with elemental Sulfur and Water. Terraforming Io is not as sci-fi as people might think. It's been seriously considered before, still is. Also, I think you're not off base either with using geothermal energy. One method that has been seriously considered is in fact using geothermal energy to create an electromagnetic field for Io to protect it from Jupiter's equivalent of the Van Allen radiation belt. So, stick to your original idea. You're definitely on the right path there too.

I mean, its fine as is.  needing some descriptive tweaks more than anything, not massive scientific and reality obeying laws.  this is SCIENCE FANTASY!  

It is Sci-Fi, and that's cool. I also think the idea is excellent and that you really have something here from a realistic perspective as well. Well done. That's all I'm saying. Your idea isn't just believable in a Sci-Fi theme, but there are real world concepts that support it as well. I always find that to make some of the best Science Fiction. Like Alien is my favorite franchise for Sci-Fi, because they're so heavily based on animals that actually exist. This would be an awesome addition to the open worlds we have because Io is a prime location for a fantasy terraformed terrain AND because it's a scientifically justifiable candidate for terraforming if one had the technology to pull it off. Yeah, you don't have to get into the nitty gritty details with your descriptions. But, a science nerd like myself would be happy to defend its candidacy and viability with real world concepts as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2019-04-01 at 5:14 PM, OcyrusGaming said:

damn just after writing a boss concept my self i stumble upon this treasure 

very unique and good use of describing the Ioans Life on Io

would very much like to see something like this!

you know i never thought to ask what the boss was.  oof

I need some second opinions, the current cycle is wet/dry, but I want to consider the possibilities of a blackout storm and normal weather, where the blackout renders light absent like night and the heavy storm makes non-sheltered outdoors hazardous... with the Wendigo coming out to be a raid fight.

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondAce said:

I need some second opinions, the current cycle is wet/dry, but I want to consider the possibilities of a blackout storm and normal weather, where the blackout renders light absent like night and the heavy storm makes non-sheltered outdoors hazardous... with the Wendigo coming out to be a raid fight.

First thought coming to mind is different time cycles based on what eco-zone you're in. Normal-ish day/night (or wet/dry) on the savannah, drasticly different calm/floor-is-lava in the volcanic zone etc.