Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo causing players stress (thread migration)

AshenBaroque

Limbo is an amazing frame with one major drawback, the people you're with.

The issue lies in it not being clear enough for non limbo players whether or not they or their target is in the rift. This leads to frustration and in turn causes people to have a general distaste and discomfort around limbo players. (among other more player specific issues i'm sure)

I would like to suggest making the rift look more obvious, possibly with a MUCH more obvious particle set, give it that 'Silent Hill as night arrives' look. force it to add decals or some kind of effect beyond just cell shading and a filter. We need to make it painfully obvious that they aren't in Kansas anymore.

I love limbo, i love his abilities, i hate the stigma.

This is really true

I am not a Limbo player but every time I have had a Limbo on my team, I am usually put into the rift and I don't know that. I start attacking and attacking and I am doing nothing. Only then I realize I am in the rift and I was wasting by time instead of taking advantage of that fact. The same goes for enemies. I am wasting my time attacking them instead of doing something more helpful

The biggest issues for me was the accidental falling into the rift via bullet jump behind a limbo (from his passive). Wish there was a way players could force themselves out of the rift rather then just wait for it to pass, such as letting players go back threw the rift they came in. I can tell when I am in it but as far as I know there isn't an easy way for me to leave it outside of waiting for the timer to count down or for limbo to pop his 4, enter it and leave it.

Sadly the Stigma stems from pre-update limbo. I know players who still drop squad upon seeing a limbo. I think too many people (myself included) had too many negative experiences with other players using limbo. That said it is possible that the stigma will fade over time and people will drop less and less when playing with limbo.

Edited by (PS4)wintersfrozen

2 minutes ago, (PS4)wintersfrozen said:

Wish there was a way players could force themselves out of the rift rather then just wait for it to pass, such as letting players go back threw the rift they came in. 

I must ask if you're aware the rolling forces you out of the rift.

Si tienen el problema de que la grieta de Limbo no les deja ni respirar 😄 usen a Frames con exaltada y obviamente usen la exaltada ejemplo: [Espada Exaltada de Excalibur, Histeria de Valkynucha, Viento Desértico de Baruuk, etc, se los traduzco a su idioma con Google Traductor así que espero entiendan 😄

If they have the problem that the Limbo crack does not let them breathe, use Frames with exalted and obviously use the exalted example: [Excalibur Exalted Sword, Valkynucha Hysteria, Baruuk Desert Wind, etc., I translate them to your language with Google Translator so I hope you understand 😄

Agreed. Even as someone who plays Limbo, I shouldn't be spending time squinting my eyes at targets to see if they're in the rift or not. This is the same for rescue missions.

Second, targets affected by 4 and 3 shouldn't stay in the rift after Cataclysm is down, this always causes more issues than does good. The only targets that should ever stay in the rift, are the ones I use 1 on. How this could be fixed is by making 3 usable outside of the rift, but making it less efficient if used that way, 50% fall outside and full power inside the rift, that way 3 doesn't have to glue enemies and be glued by itself to the rift.

Edited by toxicitzi

Glad this got moved to its proper place and I'll reiterate my beliefs regarding it.

This needs to be a thing in one form or another. It's not helpful for Limbo's, it's not helpful for teammates, and is probably the main reason I don't feel safe to use banish in any setting with more players even when I'm a mile away - because it's way too easy for me to miss them, so I can't clean them up, so they stick around. Better not to use it at all. Or, better still, have that fixed so I can do my job.

16 hours ago, AshenBaroque said:

The issue lies in it not being clear enough for non limbo players whether or not they or their target is in the rift.

This is cause limbo's are allowed to pick what colors the rift will appear in, if they used black/white energy its more clear who is and isnt in the rift at anyone point in time.

2 minutes ago, Dabnician said:

This is cause limbo's are allowed to pick what colors the rift will appear in, if they used black/white energy its more clear who is and isnt in the rift at anyone point in time.

I have experimented with many rift colours, i can assure you that changing this certainly does not help many people. There are other clues beyond colour (sound and a cell shading) but very few notice them, and when they do they typically become frustrated. 

The subtle nature of the current rift is insufficient from a game-play standpoint. 

1 minute ago, AshenBaroque said:

and when they do they typically become frustrated. 

The subtle nature of the current rift is insufficient from a game-play standpoint. 

Because its so hard to suddenly notice that everything is in black and white and the sound becomes muted?

6 minutes ago, Dabnician said:

Because its so hard to suddenly notice that everything is in black and white and the sound becomes muted?

People seriously don't notice. I've been actually yelled at through voice chat for playing limbo. 

Many people listen to music while they play, completely removing all audio cues for them. Another group plays on low graphics settings or with contrast turned down.
The number of positive interactions I've had while playing limbo are countable on one hand. 

Tldr; It's hard to notice.

I checked this thread expecting more Limbo hate speech. I was pleasantly surprised by the topic and responses.  Good on all of you.  And you're absolutely correct that it should be far more obvious.  It's just like Nekros's 4 having enemies that look only slightly shaded differently from the enemies.  They went through several iterations to fix that annoyance.  Rifted enemies deserve the same treatment.

13 minutes ago, SixDimensions said:

I checked this thread expecting more Limbo hate speech. I was pleasantly surprised by the topic and responses.  Good on all of you.  And you're absolutely correct that it should be far more obvious.  It's just like Nekros's 4 having enemies that look only slightly shaded differently from the enemies. 

I got hate text by a player because my Nekros had red energy in an infested mission. I have since changed him to use the angelic skin and blue energy... ive had to adjust because frankly a lot of (not all) players are stupid.

Edited by Dabnician

31 minutes ago, Dabnician said:

Except it's not in black and white. There's a slight desaturation filter, which normally makes everything seem a bit darker. But, sometimes, it doesn't really change the brightness and sometimes it is, in fact, brighter. It makes it inconsistent. I've lost track of which realm I'm in whilst out on the Vallis, in the Derelict or in a few other settings enough times for it to be annoying.

20 hours ago, Atsia said:

I must ask if you're aware the rolling forces you out of the rift.

19 hours ago, AshenBaroque said:

Yes winters, you can exit the rift by dive-rolling. 🙂

As someone who doesn't use the rolling mechanics I was not aware of this. I will have to try it out nest time I game with a limbo. 

I still say that I would like to see the rift open point as an exit as well as I am sure I am not the only person who has experienced the "stuck in the rift".

Not that it matters at all but I made a thread earlier specifying some Limbo related issues and it'd help if we'd consolidate our opinions as I think we are all in agreement that some bugs still need patching and some visual indicators are completely missing on most entities: 

Besides the whole rift state being really hard to see, I think it's also a good idea to mention that enemies in the rift far away from limbo should de-rift automatically, its annoying for both the limbo and teammates to find enemies taking up spawn slots because they ended up in the rift underneath a staircase 150 meters away from the limbo, but right in front of other teammates.

Making the radius something like 30-40 meters I think is generous enough, it means anything outside this range between it and limbo will automatically de-rift, making it so limbo doesn't have to come back and either unbanish or cataclysm and collapse immediately on the target so it can be killed.

Edited by birdobash