Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wukong: The rework I would give him

(PSN)Vexx757

Wukong:

Passive: The more enemies he kills the longer the range on his melee weapons.

·       You will have 5 seconds to kill an enemy before it resets.

·       All abilities can be cast on the move.

1st ability

·       Increases the range of the ability cast to 20m with a 10m radius when knocking enemies down which can both be increased by range mods.

·       Holding the ability will cause a 360 swipe to knock multiple enemies down which will also do damage.

·       You can only cast the ability if you target an enemy.

·       Pressing the ability will not ragdoll enemies but instead will either damage them or knock them down.

·       It also can open enemies up to finishers.

3rd ability REWORK

Wukong plucks hairs off his back to produce two clones of himself that will fight with him for a short duration. Upon death the clones will multiple itself all together spawning four clones.

·       It will either use the melee weapon that you have equipped, or it will use primal fury however If you cast it while using guns, the clones will fight with melee weapon.

·       Clones can use whatever stance you have in your melee weapon and stance from 4th ability.

·       The clone’s survivability is based on wukong`s health shields and armour.

·       The damage the clones do to enemies will depend on power strength and melee mods.

·       (Synergy) You can increase it survivability by using the 2nd ability before you cast the 3rd ability. The invulnerability phase on the clone will only work once. 

·       (Synergy) The clones range attacks will be the 1st ability. There is no limit on reach.

4th ability

·       Decrease the attack speed of the first two swings in the stance. OR give him a completely new stance.

·       When blocking enemy damage, it will store up the damage and then can be released by preforming a slam attack.

·       (Synergy) The stored-up damage from blocking can also be used to boost the damage and the striping chance of the 1st ability. Using 1st ability on a surface or an enemy can bring you closer to it.

Fix: When preforming the animation, you can`t see the staff. (this has been like this ever since he was released)

Fix: Make the growing range of the melee weapon noticeable and effective.

With these changes Wukong now has cc, survivability, support and better damage dealing.

7 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I don’t really see any of these changes making him anymore interesting to play or be a practical choice over other frames.

Main thing I don't see is how this is different to the other 5 times they've posted it (I'm not exaggerating), looks like the exact same stuff and I'm not going to pull up side by side tabs to scrutinise to see if there's a difference.

As far as your ideas OP, I absolutely hate the idea of leaving Defy as it is, because it's just... a bad ability.

Clones will have poor AI with melee weapons (and that's not me advocating them having guns). Slap them into a fun little augment or a secondary mechanic to an ability, sure, why not. But basing the effectiveness of an entire ability on them is a big no from me.

Primal Fury needs buffs, not nerfs. And as far as what buffs it needs, in the current state of Warframe damage buffs are not it. It does more than enough damage.

13 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Main thing I don't see is how this is different to the other 5 times they've posted it (I'm not exaggerating), looks like the exact same stuff and I'm not going to pull up side by side tabs to scrutinise to see if there's a difference.

As far as your ideas OP, I absolutely hate the idea of leaving Defy as it is, because it's just... a bad ability.

Clones will have poor AI with melee weapons (and that's not me advocating them having guns). Slap them into a fun little augment or a secondary mechanic to an ability, sure, why not. But basing the effectiveness of an entire ability on them is a big no from me.

Primal Fury needs buffs, not nerfs. And as far as what buffs it needs, in the current state of Warframe damage buffs are not it. It does more than enough damage.

Some of the stuff you said is true however, I still like my ideas and I would like to see this happen.

1. I do like the idea of a 360 knockdown if it has plenty of range, but I think his 1 needs to be changed completely imo.

As for Defy I think it should be left as is like the OP has. While someone above said some people consider Defy to be "garbage" it's not at all. It's an infinite immortality and energy loop. It does not care what level the enemies are. Seeing as DE intends to make the game more difficult it would be silly to not have WUKONG of all frames be immortal like he is now especially with Rolling Guard to recast Defy at any point you choose even in the middle of combat. Keep in mind, when people say he's immortal in this game they actually mean it. Defy despite being a channeled ability also benefits from rage/hunter adrenaline, benefits by NOT having shields or armor, and with Primed Flow can go for about 2 or 3 minutes before needing to take damage again IF you're not already getting energy by something like orbs with 175% duration and 160% range! Mechanically speaking and not practically, if you were constantly taking damage you wouldn't even need duration or efficiency, just to give people an idea of how this ability works. Obviously you'll be killing enemies, meaning they can't all hurt you, so it helps to have duration and efficiency for practicality. The more damage enemies can do, or the higher in level they get, the stronger Defy becomes. Wukong's issue is NOT in Defy, it's in everything else. All 3 of his other abilities can be made to benefit the squad for his rework, but he can remain immortal thanks

3. Can't say I like the idea of clones with Wukong in Warframe really. I think his 3 needs to supply some sort of useful support or buff directly to the squad and needs to be changed completely. Especially since he already has Defy which DE intends to keep and doesn't need Cloud Walker anyways.

His 4th. This is tough. Wukong's staff is pretty signature for Wukong like his immortality. The staff certainly needs major improvements. I think not only having more damage but having some sort of extra effect like cc or something would really help this out. Of course having crazy range on it would be awesome too. If not cc maybe an effect for the staff can be triggered once it hits max range, like having it do 10% scaling damage. Garuda's 1st can kill any an enemy once it's at 40% health or below regardless of armor or level. If 10% scaling dmg on each enemy hit is too overpowered, just make it something that can scale in some way (imo). Obviously that scaling damage wouldn't apply to something like an eidolon or profit taker of course.

Edited by AntiMomentum

6 hours ago, AntiMomentum said:

While someone above said some people consider Defy to be "garbage" it's not at all

It is.

There's literally no engagement nor interactivity in the ability, and immortality isn't even all that useful.

It's not fun, and it's not useful. It's bad. Yes, I'm an arrogant sod, after playing him for as long as I have I can comment on this. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

It is.

There's literally no engagement nor interactivity in the ability, and immortality isn't even all that useful.

It's not fun, and it's not useful. It's bad. Yes, I'm an arrogant sod, after playing him for as long as I have I can comment on this. 

If Rhino just had Iron skin but with the rest of Wukong's abilities other than Defy he'd be just as boring. The issue isn't Defy. It's everything else. The same would go for Nezha or any frame with an ability devoted to solely to tanking. That doesn't make the ability bad. The kit around it does. Or the content it's used for can.  If you want useful, Mesa needs no help and will do just about anything more efficiently and useful than any primarily tank frame or cc frame anyways lmao. As someone who likes to tank, yes, there is no actual need for Iron Skin, Defy, or Warding Halo. But....

That's a content issue as DE has already mentioned in the last Devstream. It's not a tank frame's fault that dps/kps is all that's required for the starchart.

Fortunately, DE has already mentioned they will be making the game "more difficult" so it may not take something like an endurance run anymore for the more tanky frames to actually matter. They already acknowledge that there is not game content that can challenge many frame's abilities. In that sense, there a tons of "bad" abilities that are too OP to actually be useful as they can be in the game's current content. So in that sense I agree with you but DE won't be nerfing all of these abilities to fit your definition of what a "good" ability is, that is, something's that's nerfed to be useful for more current content in this case. Instead they will be trying to create content to make plenty of abilities more useful and maybe even actually needed. Defy or Rhino's scaling ehp Iron Skin just happens to be in a long list of what's not even needed for current content. Shoot even steel fiber, vitality, adaptation is all that's needed on just about any frame for sorties without using any abilities at all. That's a content issue. 

Consider a frame with the tankyness of Rhino but could even be more useful for a squad once the rework happens. That's already sounding good for endurance runs let alone whatever DE gives for more challenging content. Besides, it seems silly to take away Wukong's tankyness when Nezha has scaling ehp as well and in traditional lore, Wukong beat up Nezha and most of Heaven's armies along with surviving anything even more powerful gods threw at him. Wukong has a staff (that certainly needs some changes). Wukong can't die. Without that just change his name to something else and don't call him the last immortal anymore.

Also, "literally" is a strong word even for Defy. It doesn't last forever without interaction. It will also require taking damage like iron skin eventually, just not upfront but rather through ought it's usage, especially with leeches/parasites around. Iron skin/Halo can also last quite a while if modded and used properly before recast, which they even get to be recastable during use while Defy actually is not. Unless the map is getting wiped of course in which case there was no use for tanking with any ability in the game anyways. If there were actually future content besides endurance runs that drops your health quickly after each Defy activation iframe ends, it can be very interactive.

Edited by AntiMomentum

4 hours ago, AntiMomentum said:

Rhino just had Iron skin but with the rest of Wukong's abilities other than Defy he'd be just as boring. The issue isn't Defy.

Please don't. I'm talking about Defy exclusively, not the rest of the kit. The rest of the kit doesn't come into my point at all. Each and every ability should be fun and useful.

That's a content issue as DE has already mentioned in the last Devstream. It's not a tank frame's fault that dps/kps is all that's required for the starchart

I'm talking about Sorties as well tbh. A well modded Wukong can tank a sortie without touching Defy. Activating it would be a de-buff and nothing more. Unlike Iron Skin it would provide literally no benefit, and plenty of negatives.

Instead they will be trying to create content to make plenty of abilities more useful and maybe even actually needed.

This is incredibly naive on their part as far as I'm concerned. Especially when every other attempt to challenge us has resulted in some form of ability nullification, rendering the topic here moot.

Consider a frame with the tankyness of Rhino but could even be more useful for a squad once the rework happens. That's already sounding good for endurance runs let alone whatever DE gives for more challenging content. Besides, it seems silly to take away Wukong's tankyness 

Who said anything about removing it?

If there were actually future content besides endurance runs that drops your health quickly after each Defy activation iframe ends, it can be very interactive.

Correct. If this content existed there might be some sort of interactivity.

But as it stands, there is not. Literally was fine word to use. And it still doesn't change the fact that the ability actually does nothing besides function as an incredibly expensive heal on death. No status immunity, no self budding, no enemy debuffing, nothing. It only has an effect if you die.

How is that fun? The ability basically does nothing right now.

Edited by DeMonkey

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎19 at 2:19 PM, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

And that’s just it. In your opinion, and your opinion alone. Nobody else in this thread agrees with you.

I do like the idea of a 360 knockdown if it has plenty of range - AntiMomentum

Plus ppl in-game that I speak to agree with my ideas.

23 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

It is.

I like defy.

Defy, its useful but not infallible.

Its also no justification for the rest of his kit.

Also i love the idea of cloud walker but hate its execution, i am also on record in saying rework not replace. I would rather the clones be attached to defy as an augment personally. Not to mention melee specters are terrible.

I like the changes to the first, as long as the 360 is fast and does not interrupt movement.

Fury, i have also several times put up a reworked stance but kind of pointless to discuss untill melee 3.0 comes and goes. His staffs range needs to simply have a cap of 10m, which trust me is sufficent for most gameplay and more than any other melee weapon can achieve without a riven. Apart from that give it balanced crit and status.. 25% and 25%.

On 2019-01-21 at 12:14 AM, DeMonkey said:

But as it stands, there is not. Literally was fine word to use. And it still doesn't change the fact that the ability actually does nothing besides function as an incredibly expensive heal on death. No status immunity, no self budding, no enemy debuffing, nothing. It only has an effect if you die.

How is that fun? The ability basically does nothing right now.

I like Defy because while active I don't need to worry about mobility or anything other than using weapons. Just like Iron Skin. As someone who likes to tank among other things, that's fun to me. With Defy, I can go as long as my dps allows me in an endurance run. I've never had issues with needing status immunity while Defy is active. About the only difference between Iron skin and Defy's usefulness or lack of is that Iron Skin can prevent knockdowns along with a few other niche differences like the sortie earth assassination. And that it works better than defy at lower levels if you're new and don't have mods. Shoot even the Iron skin puncture augment is useless. Tanking to me is fun, it's unfortunate that it takes an endurance run to require an actual tank frame sort of for solo. In a squad endurance run you still don't even need tanks whatsoever. That's not Wukong or Rhino's fault. It's content.

Also, I thought you had used rage/hunter adrenaline and rolling guard or actually did an endurance run with wukong. If you had done so, you'd find it's not expensive and that "literally", by it's definition, does not apply. It is an immortality AND energy loop when modded properly. It should be gaining energy for you overall by interacting with it and not be expensive! I'm at 1.25 energy p second. Unless of course, you're not challenging the ability.

I'm talking about Sorties as well tbh. A well modded Wukong can tank a sortie without touching Defy. Activating it would be a de-buff and nothing more. Unlike Iron Skin it would provide literally no benefit, and plenty of negatives.

Again, just about any frame but Loki and a few others with really low armor can actually tank sorties with just mods and no abilities. Shoot, if you move around enough you don't even need to tank much lmao. That's still a content issue no matter which way we try to cut this. That isn't actually an issue specific to Wukong. It's an issue Wukong falls under like many other frames here in this case.

However, if it's not an endurance run and something like Sorties (or arbitrations missions like survival and interception), sitting still for a few seconds like you would when activating iron skin/warding halo to gather damage will fix that for you ironically enough (interaction). Because energy is awesome and a great benefit if you have other abilities worth using.... That's like saying Garuda's ability to sacrifice health for energy has no benefit. Because Defy can already do that, without risk. As already stated, you do NOT want to be using armor or shield mods or you will hold the ability back regardless of enemy level. So I'm not sure what your version of a "well modded wukong", specifically Wukong, is but none of his abilities require shields, armor, or mobility especially with Defy so yeah. Practically speaking, you just dont recast like Iron skin as often (for sorties), but you still want to take the damage like Iron Skin if you want to actually gain energy rather than Iron skin's armor! You can even use other abilities while Defy is active without using up all your energy! In fact, the more other abilities you use the more interactive Defy becomes!

Seriously, try activating Defy and see how long you an spam other abilities before it stops without taking damage to regen energy. It's not that long. You'll actually have to balance Defy, that is, interact with it, if you want to use other abilities worth using that should come with the rework. Wait, you don't think the can't be done or something do you?

Who said anything about removing it?

Ok, maybe I was mistaken. It sounded like you wanted it nerfed into something that wasn't immortal like Wukong is supposed to be. That's what had me worried. What are you actually suggesting for Defy? Just so we're clear. Because anything "more interactive" for the ability tends to be a nerf when it comes to DE, but I'm sure you know that. Just in case you forgot. They've been better about not nerfing recently though and I applaud them for that! Still, with other abilities Defy can be already be interactive as long as you use any other abilities with it. Even at 1.25 energy p second! I have no doubt DE will not only give us a decent to great Wukong rework, but also give us content with something even just slightly more than sortie level gameplay.

Even a decent rework of his other abilities can make him a go to frame, and can even rival Rhino just by keeping Defy as is. I see no reason to change it when simply using other abilities already makes it interactive. It's really not Defy's fault they aren't worth using.

Edited by AntiMomentum

9 hours ago, AntiMomentum said:

I like Defy because while active I don't need to worry about mobility or anything other than using weapons. Just like Iron Skin. As someone who likes to tank among other things, that's fun to me. With Defy, I can go as long as my dps allows me in an endurance run. I've never had issues with needing status immunity while Defy is active. About the only difference between Iron skin and Defy's usefulness or lack of is that Iron Skin can prevent knockdowns along with a few other niche differences like the sortie earth assassination. And that it works better than defy at lower levels if you're new and don't have mods. Shoot even the Iron skin puncture augment is useless. Tanking to me is fun, it's unfortunate that it takes an endurance run to require an actual tank frame sort of for solo. In a squad endurance run you still don't even need tanks whatsoever. That's not Wukong or Rhino's fault. It's content.

Tanking to me is fun as well, I play tanks in every game I can. Defy isn't required for tanking.

Stop contradicting yourself. You talk about how you like Defy, but then immediately admit that it's only useful in Endurance runs. Given Endurance runs are not something DE design the game around, or really intend for us to do, you're admitting the ability isn't useful.

"Defy is great in this content that we aren't actually supposed to be doing, and the game certainly isn't designed around" is not an argument in favour of it being good, and only reinforces how bad it is.

Also, I thought you had used rage/hunter adrenaline and rolling guard or actually did an endurance run with wukong. If you had done so, you'd find it's not expensive and that "literally", by it's definition, does not apply. It is an immortality AND energy loop when modded properly. It should be gaining energy for you overall by interacting with it and not be expensive! I'm at 1.25 energy p second. Unless of course, you're not challenging the ability.

Don't be that guy who makes a bunch of garbage assumptions with the intent to discredit rather than having an honest argument, because I will do exactly the same.

Whether an energy loop exists or not is irrelevant, it's still expensive compared to other abilities in the game. What are you even trying to argue here, except nitpick? Furthermore, the fact that the energy loop exists is not interactivity, at all, unless you have shockingly bad standards for interactivity in a game.

Iron Skin has interactivity, not just in the form of Charge's augment, but in the fact that it absorbs health immediately after casting it. That's something. Defy has nothing.

Again, just about any frame but Loki and a few others with really low armor can actually tank sorties with just mods and no abilities. Shoot, if you move around enough you don't even need to tank much lmao. That's still a content issue no matter which way we try to cut this.

EXACTLY.

There is no content where Defy is needed. You are making my point. There is absolutely no actual content in this game where immortality is required, therefore an immortality button is useless.

However, if it's not an endurance run and something like Sorties (or arbitrations missions like survival and interception), sitting still for a few seconds like you would when activating iron skin/warding halo to gather damage will fix that for you ironically enough (interaction).

Would you like me to make a garbage assumption about you as a player if you're "sitting still" when activating abilities?

As already stated, you do NOT want to be using armor or shield mods or you will hold the ability back regardless of enemy level. 

Lmao. How exactly do you "hold the ability back" when it serves only to heal you on death. If you build tanky, and thus can't die, then Defy is irrelevant.

If you mean "you're holding the energy loophole back" then I can make a garbage assumption, again, about you as a player if that's the only means you've ever found to heal yourself with. The energy "loophole" exists with any form of healing, Defy isn't special.

So I'm not sure what your version of a "well modded wukong", specifically Wukong, is but none of his abilities require shields, armor, or mobility especially with Defy so yeah.

A "well modded Wukong" is one that doesn't require Defy, curiously. 

Look at it like this:

Build for Defy - Reliant on having energy to survive, can't enter nullifier bubbles safely, requires recasting thus wasting time.

Build tanky - No reliance on energy, can enter nullifier bubbles safely, no recasting needed.

As a side note, "none of his abilities require mobility"? I guess I must have imagined that short range staff he's got...

You can even use other abilities while Defy is active without using up all your energy! In fact, the more other abilities you use the more interactive Defy becomes!

This is not interactivity, how long have you even been playing this game, or any video game for that matter?

Plus, if you don't build for and thus use Defy, then you have a ton of energy since it doesn't drain it all, shocking right?

Seriously, try activating Defy and see how long you an spam other abilities before it stops without taking damage to regen energy. It's not that long. You'll actually have to balance Defy, that is, interact with it, if you want to use other abilities worth using that should come with the rework. Wait, you don't think the can't be done or something do you?

^This, this leaves me concerned, it really does.

The fact that you're trying to argue that "you have to sit there and take damage to refill your energy" makes Defy interactive... No it doesn't. This is just nonsense. This is not interactivity.

Ok, maybe I was mistaken

Yes, you were mistaken. Funny isn't it, when you make garbage assumption after garbage assumption that they might not actually be true? Gasp.

Bit harsh? Intended, lets have less of the "I thought you knew how to play", and the "just in case you forgot" stuff, shall we?

At the end of the day, unless you're smurfing (which begs the question as to why you'd post from this account) you're a MR10 who's used Wukong a mere percentage of the time I have. This line of arguing will not work for you. 

And yes, I looked up your profile. I don't do assumptions, I base my reasoning on fact.

I see no reason to change it when simply using other abilities already makes it interactive. It's really not Defy's fault they aren't worth using.

I never said it was Defy's fault that his other abilities aren't worth using, and making his other abilities worth using doesn't even remotely make Defy better. It's still useless, and has no purpose in the game as it currently stands.

As for my suggestion, I created a conglomerate thread for this exact reason, I'll go and grab the gist of my suggestion.

Defy:

"Damage Reduction of 50%, affected by Power Strength.

Health regeneration of 5% per second whilst above 75% health, 10% per second whilst between 75% and 50% health, 15% per second whilst between 50% and 25% health and 20% per second whilst under 25% health. The goal being the closer you get to the death the more Wukong fights to stay alive. Instead of percentage based healing, these numbers could also be replaced with flat healing, it's all the same to me.

25m of heightened threat generation

On ''death'':

Wukong becomes immortal (same effect as before) and heals to full over the duration of his immortality, his immortality then goes on cooldown for a minute. Duration mods will reduce this duration, and kills made with Primal Fury will reduce it further."

I also proposed a self buff on death, although I'm not sure how much I care about it nowadays. There, see? I'm not trying to stop Wukong being immortal, I'm trying to make the ability better.

Edited by DeMonkey
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Defy:

"Damage Reduction of 50%, affected by Power Strength.

Health regeneration of 5% per second whilst above 75% health, 10% per second whilst between 75% and 50% health, 15% per second whilst between 50% and 25% health and 20% per second whilst under 25% health. The goal being the closer you get to the death the more Wukong fights to stay alive. Instead of percentage based healing, these numbers could also be replaced with flat healing, it's all the same to me.

25m of heightened threat generation

On ''death'':

Wukong becomes immortal (same effect as before) and heals to full over the duration of his immortality, his immortality then goes on cooldown for a minute. Duration mods will reduce this duration, and kills made with Primal Fury will reduce it further."

I also proposed a self buff on death, although I'm not sure how much I care about it nowadays. There, see? I'm not trying to stop Wukong being immortal, I'm trying to make the ability better.

i actually like this idea more these days. mostly because it would make his functionality with Adreneline even better than it is currently..

if he had baked in HP regeneration, i wouldn't need to slot Restoration mods on his Staff. I personally don't think we need a frame with builtin threat generation but, it would be nice to have at least one frame that does.

Finally, What do you think of Defy having an augment that also spawned a Duality style Specter when Defys Immortal effect gets triggered?

1 minute ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

I personally don't think we need a frame with builtin threat generation but, it would be nice to have at least one frame that does.

That's fair, although we do have at least Nyx who does. I just feel that he needs something, and what could be more thematic for Wukong than taunting enemies?

2 minutes ago, (PS4)ForNoPurpose said:

Finally, What do you think of Defy having an augment that also spawned a Duality style Specter when Defys Immortal effect gets triggered?

As an augment? Sure. I wouldn't use it on any serious builds, but it could certainly be fun for everything else. I'm only opposed to spectres being a primary part of an ability, as they simply won't perform.

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎21 at 2:17 PM, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Wow, 1 person liked one very specific thing.

It`s still someone and better than no one.

and

"I like the changes to the first, as long as the 360 is fast and does not interrupt movement. " - ForNoPorpose

Edited by (PS4)Vexx757

4 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Yes, you were mistaken. Funny isn't it, when you make garbage assumption after garbage assumption that they might not actually be true? Gasp.

Please stop being in your fellings and arguing. At the end of the day no matter what we say, it`s up to DE what happens to wukong. Me and other player are just giving ideas so DE can hopefully use them.

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Vexx757 said:

Please stop being in your fellings and arguing

No.

Arguing is how I ensure that Wukong gets the changes that he actually needs, not pathetic token changes, and not community inspired changes that don't actually fix anything because people generally haven't actually played Wukong enough to have an educated opinion.

Edited by DeMonkey
  • Like 2