Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone know how copyright works for WF fan stuff?

Sarklor

Hallo, I have a question someone might be able to answer. Searching the forums revealed nothing similar, DE didn't respond when I contacted them over a month ago, I figured if anyone else knew it would be folks in here who create WF art and stories all the time.

I started up a little Soundcloud project last year, just narrating short stories for the fun of it. I made sure to use only public domain stuff, or if it was copyrighted I got permission before doing anything. And because everyone does it these days I set up a Ko-fi so if anyone likes, they can send a little donation my way.

I'd love to narrate a Warframe short story or two, but I'm finding it a challenge to confirm whether what I'm doing would be covered by the Youtube/streaming guidelines DE have. The general gist of it seems to be "Go nuts, as long as you don't hide it behind a paywall, and credit DE and anyone else involved". I'm leaning towards thinking this would cover me, but I'm not *certain* of it.

Anyone able to confirm or deny whether the same rules apply for me doing bad impressions of Grineer on Soundcloud on a not-explicitly-for-profit-but-you-can-give-me-money-if-you-like kind of basis?

Honest answer, it basically depends on where you are (some countries have fair use policies) and how much DE wants to 'protect' their property. 

IMO though, considering how much DE pushes 'fan art' in twitch prime and on twitter I don't see why they'd have too much issue with fan fiction (I'm assuming they'll be your own stories) if you don't go trying to make huge profits from it etc and include information/links to warframe. 

I don't think DE will be like nintendo/paramount and go after anything that even remotely mentions their property....

Edited by LSG501
  • Like 1

As long as you're not selling or profiting from Warframe related content without DE's permission, you're fine to do whatever; make music, art, write (or narrate) fiction, etc--in fact this is encouraged. 

The issue only arises if you try to profit from or make money off of DE's intellectual property. For example, some people make T-shirts with fan-art or Warframe images--if they make it for themselves and their friends (as gifts), it's fine, but if they sell the T-shirt without obtaining permission from DE first, they are violating the law.

• Like 1