Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Raiding Zones (not simple dungeons, zone scale raiding content)

toxicitzi

Since everyone's been talking about it and I threw an abstract of, make it progress based, here's a more concrete idea of my figurative, throwing of the hat in the ring.

Raiding zones.

Like Raid dungeons, the general idea of a raiding zone and how it's different in scope from simple raid dungeons, is that it's both that and a hard mode microcosm of PoE/Fortuna mission, the dungeon type parts of it being for tough boss-like fights (meaning, not everything necessary needs to be A boss, or Any boss at all), yielding rewards and the smaller scale areas of PoE/Fortuna, to be there as the grind much of higher and better graded loot, which we'll need in the upcoming raid objective, or in another raid zone all together.

As for bosses, the way it would work is to be tied to the progress through the area of each boss, with the faction either staying the same people as where you started this, or adding a few new characters each iteration, other twists, but those are bigger ideas for another time. It's basically layer based, like taking on a fortress, slowly inching your way deeper and keeping the siege going.

Right now it could even be just the same old enemies we've seen, just as long as we can see how this will play out, but the idea is to not end this as soon as the first boss and be done with it, the reason for raiding / endgame content to exist, is for the raids you complete to play a part in a progression for the next broken up several parts of each one to follow suit and expect you to yield the rewards of the prior ones, that's raiding progression and it could be its own separate thing, but preferably in a polished state where it doesn't confuse players or encumber them with excessive UIs, something very similar to say, a combination of Syndicate + Clan progression.

As for something like resets and restarting the raid, I know it's taking Blizzard's example, but they had a good point in either 3-7 days automatic resets and I'd hinge harder on the 7 days one, because with more Raiding zones, you can easily get overwhelmed by the sheer frequency of the resets.

As for that last point, the part about Clan progression is a little intentional, because that's how I see this one working. This kind of content should likely be for organized clans who have nothing to do right now, as I don't see a way to make it work otherwise. The main idea is that, to progress is the hardest part, until the place becomes something of a farm mode. Again, this is like WoW for anyone already initiated, but it is a good model and it works, it serves both the purposes of the game as a game, as well as the MMO side of the RPG, with the repeated attempts.

I know it sounds like I'm asking for grind, but the thing is that grind isn't the problem, the problem with grind is how excessive is it and if it is, to what ends the grind is put in there? One thing I'd much rather see is grind that takes us somewhere, rather than grinding to collect the next couple pieces of items for advancing our MR just a tiny little bit, but holding us far away from that tiny trickle of progress, which also goes to the Focus system..

In fact, even Focus system could be reworked into something very cool with this, by tying its greatest and much needed unlocks to Raiding rather than just, grinding anywhere and getting some very underwhelming upgrades, but that's an idea within an idea, so I'll stop here. 🙂 

As for why I kept the idea short, because it's mostly just the idea laid out and explained in an example that can fit any faction on any layout, placed quite literally anywhere in the game. Anywhere on the Star Chart, PoE, Doesn't matter, but if it were to be considered at least to expand zones for elite levels, that would be a good start to thinking about content that goes further from where we are right now.

Edited by toxicitzi