Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 - Your most pessimistic predictions?

VanFanel1980mx

Sometimes is an interesting way of guessing what can possibly go wrong, what do you think? I am not exactly thrilled about the combo counter mechanic, let's say Blood Rush and those kind of mods work more or less like they do right now, yes, melee weapons will get buffed but the trade-off with heavy attacks consuming the combo counter makes me think we will try to stick to light attacks and barely if ever touching the heavy attack unless DE forces it on us by nullifying any critical/status bonus we get with said counter somehow.

What do you think will happen? with melee 3.0?

• Like 3

It's hard to imagine how it could be any worse than the current system.

So my most pessimistic prediction is that it doesn't really change things at all, the meta will still revolve around a rather limited set of weapons and mods and the forgotten weapon classes (machetes, dual daggers...) will remain worthless.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Pr1A said:

It's hard to imagine how it could be any worse than the current system.

So my most pessimistic prediction is that it doesn't really change things at all, the meta will still revolve around a rather limited set of weapons and mods and the forgotten weapon classes (machetes, dual daggers...) will remain worthless.

Something that also kind of worries me is how Reach and Primed Reach will work with a flat amount of range, depending on the fractions which I presume won't go over 1.55m (assuming Primed Reach is converted from +155% range to +1.55m) polearms and staves will still be kings for good melee while the smaller weapons will only be marginally better, furthermore, certain weapon stances that use more thrusts instead of swings won't get any better, and speaking of forgotten weapons it will be RIP Scythes stances, well, maybe they will be incorporated into heavy blades which will make things weird like using Reaping Spiral with a Galatine (ie, throwing it like a boomerang.)

From what I've seen its a lot smoother with the animations matching the motion and speed of the Warframe along with its attack animations and its attack range.

. I guess the pessimistic prediction is basically its a nerf to what we have but tbh I rather it be a nerf and it much nicer feeling of using the Melee instead of it like swinging around paper that cuts through anything with ease.

Edited by TheFinalEpic
  • Like 2

Just now, Makunogo said:

i think there was talk of a base range on melee weapons? im not sure if that is still a thing.

Some weapons seem to have less range than they should currently, the general weapon buff will have to be quite significant if you ask me, melee should be a high risk - high reward mechanic.

• Like 1

Most pessimistic?

DE fails to properly address the core problem of Melee, that most melee weapons aren't powerful enough at higher levels to offset the inherent risk of melee, making the majority of them unsustainable and not fun with a majority of frames.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Raskolnikow said:

My 15m range Guandao and blood rush nerf :/

Crit chance for a lot of weapons (if not all) would need to be changed to compensate, otherwise I can already guess how it will be changed, something like "+ X% Crit Chance on the next charged attack = combo multiplier" which basically means reduced dps for all those weapons.

8 minutes ago, HellVOps said:

pessimistic to others but optimistic to some, the death of memeslide~fingers crossed~😒

Sadly I think spin2win will remain almost the same, no blood rush maybe but meme strike still gives you a crazy amount of crit chance, as I mentioned above, unless DE forces us to use heavy attacks we will only rely on stuff like True Steel and other static crit chance buffs, there is no reason to go out of our way and optimize for heavy attacks to MAYBE 1-shot a big enemy when we are surrounded by a dozen other big enemies.

My most pessimistic predictions?

the damage buff to counter the loss of the combo multiplier being gone not being enough.

The mod reworks gets funneled into the heavy attack making melee worse as you’ll have to wail on an enemy for a minute just to maybe kill it with a heavy attack.

Atlas and Khora get nerfed due to the loss of Combo multiplier.

Crit becomes worthless and we move to using status only builds.

The stances rework making stances worse than before.

Yeah, there’s a lot that can go very wrong with Melee 3.0.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

Eh, I wouldn't worry about that, there are too many "thanks for existing DE" zombies around to balance that out.

And just as many on the other side of the fence.

The rational middle seems to be getting smaller by the day.

• Like 1

Not really pessimism, but more-over an observed universal constant of warframe over these last 6 years -

- Current META instigated changes bring about a "Best" or "Most Effective" paradigm shift and newer ever petty complaints/stagnation, thus starting the cycle all over again

not once has any change brought about/yielded those perfect results, but at best become a newish shiny thing to briefly explore before swiftly finding faults to take issue with once again.

so for most players that persist in playing the game, as long as there has been some purposed filled in doing the change, they'll adapt and keep playing.
where as the rest likely drop the game for some time or permanently, out of frustration, exhaustion or contempt.

• Like 1

My pessimistic view is the special melees will get nerfs, the range and combos will be nerfed while the damage will be boosted in some cases. Those weapon categories which better than others will be nerfed to the level where the scythes, dual daggers sit.

The optimistic way they add more synergy, they revisit the weapons and weapon families which urgently needed tweaks and hopefully they will rethink the whole priming methods.

That is not a great way to balance weapon if the original left behind while the prime version be much powerful. 

In this case I can use examples like orthos v orthos prime, nami skyla and it's prime version and the aegis vs aegis prime. 

Other mentions the forgotten weapons like mire, plasma sword, pangolin, jaw sword, old ones like ether-heat series, dual daggers beign weak, normal daggers needs more range while the hammers and axes needs an own category. Also they could buff weapon fmailies like scythes, make longer versions and also do something with the kama and matchetes with it. Nami solo should become a sword also the pangolin needs a dual version and the skyla dagger a solo-dual variant.

The combo system needs changes to encourage to use chanelling instead of quick melee because the quick melee is much more better sometimes than the slow combos. Also many combo needs changes and speed buffs to be viable on higher levels where you mostly one shot target for the mobs.

Mods like maiming strike and other newly added mods which adds procs, grants combos needs some revisit while other mods needs to be integrated into the melees.

• Like 7

Spin to win no longer exists and nothing added comes come close to a equal alternative to horde clearing.

Or

Spin to win still exists and makes everything done for the last 8 months pointless... But your weapons are still shorter. So it's a net loss.

Edited by Firetempest
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, HellVOps said:

pessimistic to others but optimistic to some, the death of memeslide~fingers crossed~😒

only way this will stop is if DE remove spin attacks from melee stats/mechanics all together so you can stop hoping because it's not gonna happen.

so far in summary and what has been proposed in the changes, for those who adores the melee side of the game its a big nerf. for others that hates to take risks melee-ing  it's a victory for them because they were vocal with their hate for spin to win knowing it is part of the core mechanics and they forced DE to change it up to please them. truly a sad move on their part. lets hope melee will still be viable when the change happens and not like it was in charged attacks days of past.

if anything is to be learned and improved upon from the current system is that it works. what needs to be abolished  channeling and wall attacks both are useless. what needs to be improved upon is better stances with a wider moveset and get rid of the "locked in animations" when doing combos.

Edited by ranks21
  • Like 1

Based on what I've seen in devstream, the biggest issue will be getting used to the changes and how much of a nerf we end up getting from it. 

Some of the proposed changes will be welcome, such as the weapon switching, but I sure don't want any nerfs to melee (including loss of range) when enemies aren't being touched.

• Like 3