Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 - Your most pessimistic predictions?

VanFanel1980mx

I don't think it would be that bad. The worst scenario for me would be the removal of quick melee because I most of the time using the quick melee. That is faster than the combos and most combos are slow as hell and in a game where the speed matters it is a bad sign if you can only kill enemies with lowered speed while they are shooting you from distance.

Other than what I know about this the gameplay won't change drasticly and I am not bothered with any focus schools and ocmbos at all so these stuffs not really bothers me. The weapons which needs tweaks and nerf is in my mind and mostly they need to revitalize the unused or weak weapon families which really lacks of anything. Possibly they will nerf the range on some weapon but honestly they could just remove the reach if they wish to other than that I don't think it needs a nerf. In the reality also works the same and logically a polearm is longer than a dagger but the daggers less in weight so easier to use them and faster usualy but in video games the logic and reality not always goes together, " looking at you mount and blade warband ".

Whips are already in the position where they does not strong enough only combination of mods can make these weapons so deadly and disgustingly efficient. Same goes to most weapons but nowadays polearms and whips dominate the melee segment while others are less dominant. Each weapon family needs their marks which distinguish them from other weapons and has the ability what needs to decide what I want, what is the goal and why I use that weapon. Options.

Combo mods and crit-status mods maybe will get some changes but these needs in other weapon families not just melee. I think that this changes won't be that drastic changes what the community partly wanted and feared in the same time. Just like before release of khora everyone waited for weakspots-shield gating-damage changes and noone of these stuffs happend. They also not buffed the auras which needed to be buffed to be pair with the few commonly used ones.

So I am not worried about it the game will survive these changes and if something goes wrong still there is the option for feedback or revert changes what devs actually doing sometimes and hopefully DE is a similar company.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VentiGlondi said:

Maiming strike still existing

this either change it so it is CM not CC or make it CM blood rush or change it to be air attacks instead of slide attacks

1 hour ago, Sziklamester said:

Possibly they will nerf the range on some weapon but honestly they could just remove the reach if they wish to other than that I don't think it needs a nerf.

the proposed change to reach was to make it a flat +1m which is a buff to anything that is not a whip, polearm, and heavy blade.  

I don't think it would be that bad. The worst scenario for me would be the removal of quick melee because I most of the time using the quick melee. That is faster than the combos and most combos are slow as hell and in a game where the speed matters it is a bad sign if you can only kill enemies with lowered speed while they are shooting you from distance.

the combos will now have gap closers and cancelable animations.  the speed attack speed is the same in QM and it is for combos in most stances the problem comes from being locked in an animation and the default QM for some stances having perfect momentum conservation while the combos have forced stops see the polearm stance bleeding willow (twirling spire is the opposite)

Same goes to most weapons but nowadays polearms and whips dominate the melee segment while others are less dominant.

this is range and attack speed they have the best of both making them very good (while most whips need meming a few do not) for heavy blades it is damage and range that makes them metta (the newer ones at least)

Combo mods and crit-status mods maybe will get some changes but these needs in other weapon families not just melee

the non-rifle crit mods are all bad (not counting the primed CC mod but sacrificial steel is still trash) blood rush is going to need change if they change how combo works

Edited by spirit_of_76
  • Like 1

Worst outcome would be the change that they were working on that delayed it even further is that all melee attacks are quick time events. Press the key as the prompt pops up for instant kill, or fail and the enemy will counter and embarrass you.

Edited by Rythiman
Typo
  • Like 1

• Removal of scaleability from Combo counter bonuses (Because 'normal' attacks won't be applied to them, and heavy attacks will also consume the stacks).
  • Unnecessary nerfs to range of polearms & longer weapons overall, to make other weapons 'viable'. (Except, that's a wrong way to address this)
  • Not fixing the actual problems - ie. lack of fluid movement & being locked in long, pointless animations, making you a target - a lot of weapons suffer from this.
  • 'Flat' damage buff to the weapons themselves in no way will be enough to justify removal scaleability of melee we have now.

I could go on, but these are the most jarring things. I generally praise DE for their work, but in case of Melee 3.0, I say - toss the entire thing out of the airlock and never look back. As a pure melee player, I find literally nothing that seems like an improvement, but rather, nerf across the board. I don't want biggest part of fun in Warframe to me, to be ruined, and unviable in high level content. (Those claiming melee is not viable on high levels, please don't. If you seriously think that, here's one for you - You know nothing, Jon Snow.)

Edited by CrazyValkyr
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, spirit_of_76 said:

this either change it so it is CM not CC or make it CM blood rush or change it to be air attacks instead of slide attacks

the proposed change to reach was to make it a flat +1m which is a buff to anything that is not a whip, polearm, and heavy blade.  

the combos will now have gap closers and cancelable animations.  the speed attack speed is the same in QM and it is for combos in most stances the problem comes from being locked in an animation and the default QM for some stances having perfect momentum conservation while the combos have forced stops see the polearm stance bleeding willow (twirling spire is the opposite)

this is range and attack speed they have the best of both making them very good (while most whips need meming a few do not) for heavy blades it is damage and range that makes them metta (the newer ones at least)

the non-rifle crit mods are all bad (not counting the primed CC mod but sacrificial steel is still trash) blood rush is going to need change if they change how combo works

Thanks for enlighting me. Now I know this better. Glad to see then this will be an improvement. Especially for shorter weapons and weapons which have a bad animation lock in the combo. 

Melee 3.0 making some melee warframes even more redundant. Wukong and Valk in particular. They only exist as Warcry and defy bots.
Sure, it's nice to have stuns and melee based abilties. But why would i ever use Valk's hard hitting but short claws over, say, a long and hard hitting regular melee weapon?
99% of all enemies can't kill a fully modded valkyr anyway. So the invincibility doesn't really do her much good either. 
Valk and Wukong just feel like one trick ponies. The moment the one trick they have becomes irrelevant, then why should they even exist?

Edited by maxedpotato

19 hours ago, Pr1A said:

It's hard to imagine how it could be any worse than the current system.

So my most pessimistic prediction is that it doesn't really change things at all, the meta will still revolve around a rather limited set of weapons and mods and the forgotten weapon classes (machetes, dual daggers...) will remain worthless.

Or just imagine some fun games that we all playing just because they have amazing combat and we dont care for anything else,for example games like god of war dmc and more hack and slash games... and then imagine that warframe have that combat sistem.

20 hours ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

Sometimes is an interesting way of guessing what can possibly go wrong, what do you think? I am not exactly thrilled about the combo counter mechanic, let's say Blood Rush and those kind of mods work more or less like they do right now, yes, melee weapons will get buffed but the trade-off with heavy attacks consuming the combo counter makes me think we will try to stick to light attacks and barely if ever touching the heavy attack unless DE forces it on us by nullifying any critical/status bonus we get with said counter somehow.

What do you think will happen? with melee 3.0?

Can't be worse than the spammy spin2win we have now.

12 hours ago, Rythiman said:

Worst outcome would be the change that they were working on that delayed it even further is that all melee attacks are quick time events. Press the key as the prompt pops up for instant kill, or fail and the enemy will counter and embarrass you.

(?) Lvl.10 Grineer Butcher will remember that.

So far melee 2.0 and damage 2.0 made wonders for the game.

I think melee 3.0 will be even better, in the long run.

I say in the long run because with such major implementation, there are bound to be some errors. But they'll polish it in time.

As now of, I'm pretty pessimistic about combo counter effecting only charge damage and oversimplifcation of the combo system.

edit : 

1 hour ago, ChaosSabre said:

Anything that required Blood Rush to be dead after the change.

Thats pretty much everything except for very low crit high status chance weapons.  

Edited by White_Matter
  • Like 1

Well, I haven't read up on this update, but so far, I've been using melee a lot... and it has only ever been Quick Melee, assigned to mouse wheel rotation. Only times I actually equipped a melee weapon was just to see what difference it makes (and to complete Uranus junction). 🙂

I'm pretty eager to see how it will turn out. So far I just never saw the point of putting the gun away.