Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
(PS4)FriendSharkey

Devstream 122: PVE/PVP RACE: Please add a Indiana Jones mode

Recommended Posts

So the Devs mentioned they are going to try out a PVP/PVE styled MarioKart race through the tile sets....? I would like to point out to De that in their assets they have a giant Planet Earth Statue that has a tendency to get loose and go careening off a cliff on Lua reenacting the famous scene from the original Indiana Jones movie... And after playing years of Halo 3 and Halo Reach on various player made Indiana Jones maps created by their forge world base..If done right these types of "being in peril" races are some of the most fun I've had ever in a game...and this wasn't just dependent on a the pursuit of a instant killball...you would have thousands of giant golf balls, boundary kill timers, to simple timers erasing the flooring pursuing you as well...

Now I'm not sure if they are going to just keep us to racing through a random set of tiles as we all currently do with some new Blue Shell type mechanics you can lob ahead to slow the leader..but, I hope they take the time to make a few new random tile sets and perhaps some actual race course that can accommodate the massive Planet Earth Statue. So it can chase us as we race to the end...with the threat of having it run you over either sending you back to the last check point or just out right kills you taking you out of the race...Hence the "I don't have to out run the bear..I just have to outrun you"...mentality...

Anyways here's obligatory "What do you want to appear in this mode" final sentence that really is a cop out and means I have no idea what else to contribute to my initial idea beyond here we go with the NO POLICE...

 

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honest opinion... I'd rather they didn't waste even more resources on things like this...I already think the intended addition is wasting resources that could have been better utilised on the rest of the game.  

It really feels like the meetings at DE go like this at times:

DE Staff 1: Forums are full of posts about important things like fortuna needs to be improved, the profit taker orb fight has really poor drop tables, the reworked older operator cosmetics are still dodgy and there are numerous bugs that need to get fixed. 

DE Staff 2: Oh that's fine, they're not that important, what can we waste our limited resources on instead of dealing with the issues players keep mentioning...

DE Staff 3: I know... how about a a PvP mode where we run from point a to point b as fast as possible... rest of DE goes great, lets waste resources on this instead of the important stuff...

DE Staff 1/2: Perfect, we'll do that instead of the important stuff...

 

  • Like 3
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 3
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

...and right out of the gate..never change Forums....

Don't worry I will continue to say whatever is appropriate to the topic... especially when the game is in the state it's in at the moment.

  • Woah 1
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fighting, mining, fishing, now racing simulator seems like this game has truly evolved from being a ninja  esque fighter/shooter to your arcade of choice game. whats next a tetris simulator? we already have pong with the lunaro mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ranks21 said:

fighting, mining, fishing, now racing simulator seems like this game has truly evolved from being a ninja  esque fighter/shooter to your arcade of choice game. whats next a tetris simulator? we already have pong with the lunaro mode.

Don't discount tetris being added, it could fit well with 'a wall'.... mind you we already have people calling for komi to be added to go with our flappy bird clone, our street fighter clone and the side scrolling shooter... all of which I've played for all of 5 mins and then never bothered with again...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

So the Devs mentioned they are going to try out a PVP/PVE styled MarioKart race through the tile sets....? I would like to point out to De that in their assets they have a giant Planet Earth Statue that has a tendency to get loose and go careening off a cliff on Lua reenacting the famous scene from the original Indiana Jones movie... And after playing years of Halo 3 and Halo Reach on various player made Indiana Jones maps created by their forge world base..If done right these types of "being in peril" races are some of the most fun I've had ever in a game...and this wasn't just dependent on a the pursuit of a instant killball...you would have thousands of giant golf balls, boundary kill timers, to simple timers erasing the flooring pursuing you as well...

Now I'm not sure if they are going to just keep us to racing through a random set of tiles as we all currently do with some new Blue Shell type mechanics you can lob ahead to slow the leader..but, I hope they take the time to make a few new random tile sets and perhaps some actual race course that can accommodate the massive Planet Earth Statue. So it can chase us as we race to the end...with the threat of having it run you over either sending you back to the last check point or just out right kills you taking you out of the race...Hence the "I don't have to out run the bear..I just have to outrun you"...mentality...

Anyways here's obligatory "What do you want to appear in this mode" final sentence that really is a cop out and means I have no idea what else to contribute to my initial idea beyond here we go with the NO POLICE...

 

I could go for some 

image_crash_bandicoot_n_sane_trilogy-359

while we're at it.

5 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

-snip-

Yah, lets have the artists head on down to the programmers den and get those programming bugs sorted ASAP! Get electricians to do the plumbing while they're at it!

That being said, and in more literal terms: It's like the entire whiteboard shown on devstream listed the completed content that is ready to roll out... The dev team aren't spending their days sitting on their hands.

  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MillbrookWest said:

Yah, lets have the artists head on down to the programmers den and get those programming bugs sorted ASAP! Get electricians to do the plumbing while they're at it!

 

Yeah lets pull the artists off the new warframes, new cosmetics, new maps that they could be making (even just for the starmap), updating the UI or fixing the issues with operator cosmetics.... 

And you do realise that this new 'mission type' will be requiring coding, probably a fair bit in fact, time which could be used fixing those program bugs you're expecting the artists to fix..

 

 

  • Applause 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ranks21 said:

fighting, mining, fishing, now racing simulator seems like this game has truly evolved from being a ninja  esque fighter/shooter to your arcade of choice game. whats next a tetris simulator? we already have pong with the lunaro mode.

"New from DE! IkeaFrame, the Game-Mode! Place objects in the room as fast as possible, and beat your Opponent's Feng Shui score to win!!!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

time which could be used fixing those program bugs you're expecting the artists to fix..

I think you've got this backwards, or the analogy was lost in translation entirely.  

Each department works on their own thing. Artists can't code much (if at all). The 10 (for example) programmers might not even all be the same sort of programmer. Some might be render/gfx tech, other might be low level stuff, some AI, some might be back end etc. etc.

So the idea that DE has wasted resources is borne out of some misplaced idea of how a dev team is comprised. Hence the electrician/plumber.

How are the artists going to help solve the drop tables? Improve fortuna? how? what's the programmer going to do? Change some floats to ints? Is the programmer supposed to fix the old cosmetics? Or should the animation team do that? Keep in mind, these are all people currently working on their own respective projects for the year.

If there are a handful of guys with enough free time to put out a small side project, then why shouldn't they be allowed to do so?

13 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

And you do realise that this new 'mission type' will be requiring coding, probably a fair bit in fact

Will it require coding? Sure.

But it uses existing frameworks within the game. Procedural racecourse generation, current warframe roster, current tile-sets, current rep system etc. etc.

I don't think you understand the significance of addressing "bugs". If they're easy, they get fixed. If they're hard, you find a solution, and finding a solution is hard because whatever it is you are trying to fix ends up touching a multitude of systems, each of which could break the game.

It's by no means free, but it is a little something fun on the side by (arguably) a tiny portion of the Devteam.

As evidenced by this thread, there are people who would find this interesting. So it's obviously not time spent needlessly...

  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Yeah lets pull the artists off the new warframes, new cosmetics, new maps that they could be making (even just for the starmap), updating the UI or fixing the issues with operator cosmetics.... 

And you do realise that this new 'mission type' will be requiring coding, probably a fair bit in fact, time which could be used fixing those program bugs you're expecting the artists to fix..

 

 

Oh please, c'mon year six and this is still coming up?..By year six it hasn't sunk in that De is constantly trying out new concepts...For years all I've heard is..NO PETS...pets show up..NO Flying...Flying shows up...NO Open Worlds..Open Worlds show up..FIX the game..Fix the game..

They do what they can and they add new modes on top of it..you've read the patch notes as much I have...So they go over what can be fixed and what can't and then out of no where we get a giant space ship to fly...

This PVP/PVE mode sounds like a way to get the larger PVE player base into Conclave that they put a fair amount of time and effort into...So in many respects it's addressing a prior game mode.

 

There's always someone saying NO ( in all it's forms) to anything and everything...on the basis of this needs fixing and whatever...You're not the first, nor will you be the last...All I'm pointing out is a really fun mechanic of "the chase" that I've witnessed first hand in other games..they don't even need to use the boulder..they can have a kill barrier..which for developers is used for keeping players out of exploitable areas on their maps..just timing in after everyone in the tile sets they pass through formenting the dread...though it would be visually entertaining to have something terrifying pursuing the racers...rather than your vision turning red or a countdown timer kick in...

They've have numerous youtubers lamenting over fixing the previous gripes from coding to dead modes..we all have at one moment or another on the forums said the same..They know...As for now..they did say they are going to introduce a PVP/PVE race..and with any race..a death race without the death..is not going to sit well with our small Conclave player base that will most likely see this mode introduced to their neck of the woods so the PVE player base can get at the cosmetics and mods they had to slog through other players to get...

 

 

 

 

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

...and right out of the gate..never change Forums....

I didn't see this "no police" you listed.  Someone literally gave you a detailed answer why they disagree.  That's kind of the point here.  Everyone can share their opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

I didn't see this "no police" you listed.  Someone literally gave you a detailed answer why they disagree.  That's kind of the point here.  Everyone can share their opinion.

Oh it was just a nice way of saying no...try reading it with a voice who chagrined and just knows the lay of the lands...of the forums from the polite to not so polite...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Oh it was just a nice way of saying no...try reading it with a voice who chagrined and just knows the lay of the lands...of the forums from the polite to not so polite...

So saying no is against the rules?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, (XB1)Thy Divinity said:

So saying no is against the rules?  

Yes, didn't you read the EULA?...You might want to go do that....(friendly sarcasm...really..not trying to sound awful..Man I wish there was a friendly font.)

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

try reading it with a voice who chagrined and just knows the lay of the lands...of the forums from the polite to not so polite...

 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Yes, didn't you read the EULA?...You might want to go do that....

Interesting.  Well, good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

snip

Well after 6 YEARS they should know by now that PvP just isn't popular enough to be wasting resources on then.... those same resources being used for this mini game could be being used to get MORE done when it comes to an update. 

 

29 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

snip

Considering everything else DE is supposedly working on there is plenty of things for ALL departments to be working on... Also if you'd like to read my original post I never actually made any assumptions about who would do what, you did...   it really does seem like you're trying to white knight by clutching at straws to try and support the notion that this isn't a poor use of DE's time when anyone with an ounce of common sense and non bias can see that are plenty of better things they could be utilising their 'spare time' on. 

It might be interesting for a few runs, but the issue isn't about whether someone will try it, most of us tried the street fighter clone I'm sure, it's about if it's something will the MAJORITY will continue to use.... when was the last time you played frame fighter, myself and most of my clan haven't bothered after the initial release. 

There is no point adding something that will hardly be used after that 'new smell' wears off, it is quite simply a waste of resources. 

 

Like most of the mini games in warframe, there are better FREE options out there, there is no need to clutter up warframe with stuff like this.

Edited by LSG501
  • Haha 1
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PvP is already unpopular, I dont really see why they wanna try a 5th type of it. Hopefully it will just be some side project like frame fighter that doesnt munch on resources and time from the actual game that people enjoy.

And as it was said above me, there are already better and free options out there for whatever they do as mini-games or PvP as whole.

  • Like 1
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Well after 6 YEARS they should know by now that PvP just isn't popular enough to be wasting resources on then.... those same resources being used for this game could be being used to get MORE done when it comes to an update. 

They still have an active conclave forum that fills constantly with suggestion from a player base looking to expand and they are just as important as you...Seems a easy choice in cobbling together some tile sets and putting together a race on the cheap..or actually creating a race course meant to house a race with variations to explore...I don't see them (DE) taking a easy way out because they are gamers as well and want a fun gaming experience...

Quote

 

Considering everything else DE is supposedly working on there is plenty of things for ALL departments to be working on... Also if you'd like to read my original post I never actually made any assumptions about who would do what, you did...   it really does seem like you're trying to white knight by clutching at straws to try and support the notion that this isn't a poor use of DE's time when anyone with an ounce of common sense and non bias can see that are plenty of better things they could be utilising their 'spare time' on. 

I think you're mixing me up with the guy talking about the art teams or I'm mixing you up talking to the other guy...BUT... Common sense doesn't make a open world and a space ship to fly around in a enclosed hallway horde shooter..or we would have seen that in Destiny and other Sci-fi shooters right out of the gate..but, here we are...

Quote

It might be interesting for a few runs, but the issue isn't about whether someone will try it, most of us tried the street fighter clone I'm sure, it's about if it's something will the MAJORITY will continue to use.... when was the last time you played frame fighter, myself and most of my clan haven't bothered after the initial release. 

There is no point adding something that will hardly be used after that 'new smell' wears off, it is quite simply a waste of resources. 

 

Like most of the mini games in warframe, there are better FREE options out there, there is no need to clutter up warframe with stuff like this.

Actually I agree with this one to a point...I've pushed for De in the past to remove dead nodes...like Defection..oh lord what a waste...but you give it a year or two and let the internal numbers dictate what goes and what doesn't, ....

They did say they are coming out with this Race and instead of cutting off the heels at the start..I would rather place in a suggestions for a fun alternatives to the already established race to the finish we all participate at one time or another...plus it might be fun and allow more PVE players to participate in the conclave standing..only there has to be some sort of consequence like a kill ball so not to step on the time the conclave players put into their syndicate...

Quote

 

 

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

PvP is already unpopular, I dont really see why they wanna try a 5th type of it. Hopefully it will just be some side project like frame fighter that doesnt munch on resources and time from the actual game that people enjoy.

And as it was said above me, there are already better and free options out there for whatever they do as mini-games or PvP as whole.

PVP is unpopular because they are trying to cater to your standard Deathmatch PVP player that you can find in every game out there that uses PVP...Beyond Lunaro they've never really explored side by side PVP/PVE like races to engage the larger PVE base for conclave's syndicate...that might be a result of this effort of adding a race....The forums have mentioned and requested racing for years now..and here it is being added to the 2019 road map...

 

Yet Instead it's always like this for some on the forums with the "We already have Archwings...Why do we need hover boards?" Because we're in year six due to them not listening to every "We don't need this" argument...

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

PVP is unpopular because they are trying to cater to your standard Deathmatch PVP player that you can find in every game out there that uses PVP...Beyond Lunaro they've never really explored side by side PVP/PVE like races to engage the larger PVE base for conclave's syndicate...that might be a result of this effort of adding a race....The forums have mentioned and requested racing for years now..and here it is being added to the 2019 road map...

 

Yet Instead it's always like this for some on the forums with the "We already have Archwings...Why do we need hover boards?" Because we're in year six due to them not listening to every "We don't need this" argument...

How will racing attract the PvE crowd? What part of it is exactly attractive to PvErs or have anything to do with PvE?

  • Like 1
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SneakyErvin said:

How will racing attract the PvE crowd? What part of it is exactly attractive to PvErs or have anything to do with PvE?

 

Stick around the forums and pay attention for the occasional Conclave mods and cosmetics rants for their accessibility for PVE players who don't want to engage in PVP conclave...nor Lunaro...

PVE players do race though..everyone of them races at one time or another for the extraction...if not all the time and they are competitive,  just in differing ways....and this has been a discussion for years now intermingled between the Conclave and General forums on the merits of a race being added to Warframe...

If there's a PVP/PVE race added to Conclave they the PVE player base will play it for the rewards...but, that will grate with the Conclave players...so...I can only see it being added to Conclave if there is some sort of peril and or the sole winner takes all...

The guy above is right... it will be dead in less than a year if not a month if it's boring and just phoned in..That's why I'm here suggesting the Indiana Jones race type as one of many options out there from Mariokart to Need to Speed cops and robber with racing ideas..

I've ran Indiana Jones in Halo Reach and Halo 3..and they are a lot of fun if done well...so sure, we can all say don't do it..or we can say do it... so it's fun..I'm on the fun side..and if De wants to try it out..then you read to opening post...I think they should add the impending doom and chase mechanic behind the players...If the No Police win and they win more often than not...we never get anything new..because it's always "no" all the time..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...