Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You call this a living wage, Konzu?

Fiedra

I wonder how pay negotiations work in Cetus:

Tenno: "So, your community is in mortal peril, and you need my help, right?"

Konzu: "Yep!"

Tenno: "And you said you're willing to pay me for my assistance, right?"

Konzu: "That's right!"

Tenno: "Alright, so could you please pay me in Nitain? You said you had it and were willing to give it away if I helped you deal with the Ghouls invading your territory."

Konzu: "Maybe."

Tenno: "... maybe?"

Konzu: "All bounty rewards are random. 🙂 "

Tenno: "... come again?"

Konzu: "Every time you complete a bounty for me, I close my eyes, reach into a bag, and throw the first thing I find in your general direction. It's the Ostron way! 🙂 "

Tenno: "But what if you give me something I don't want?"

Konzu: "Well, Tenno, I guess it wasn't your lucky day."

Tenno: "So why should anyone work for you if you cannot guarantee them they'll be paid the item you promised them?"

Konzu: "Um, uh... early lunch for Konzu?"

Humor aside, RNG rewards to missions also irritate me, because they're fundamentally disrespectful of the player's time. They promise a reward, and make the player spend time and effort working towards that reward, only for that reward to not even be guaranteed to drop: in the case of rare rewards, like Nitain in those Ghoul bounties, the chance is also deceptively tiny, such that even multiple hours of continuous farming may produce strictly no results. It's a psychologically manipulative tactic that gets players to grind, but that incurs significant long-term consequences by burning players out in the long run, and making them dislike the game whenever they don't get the roll they wanted. It turns fun content into a chore, and because Warframe's RNG really is random, without any pity mechanics to avoid streaks of bad luck, engaging in any sort of heavily RNG-based mission ends up bringing this sense of dread, because no matter how many times one tries, one may not get any closer to obtaining the reward one wanted. This needs to change, if only because right now there's a discrepancy between DE being one of the most player-friendly game developers in the industry, and their game featuring some pretty player-unfriendly systems.