The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Chesa Kubrow AI breaks when reviving

CrossVs

Chesa kubrows can revive fallen masters:

• A Chesa kubrow is capable of reviving his fallen master if he enters bleeding out mode with Retrieve equipped.
  • The revive process only starts when the Retrieve mod becomes active with health orb(s) in range.

The problem(s):

The problem here is that players usually only die under combat, and Retrieve only activates outside of combat. Therefore your Chesa kubrow will not in any unregulated environment revive the fallen player because of what counts as "Out of combat".

Because of this behavior, the kubrow AI goes into a stuck state between trying to revive you and waiting for alerted enemies to go away.

For example: If an alerted enemy is nearby as you are bleeding out (either by dying to that enemy or getting yourself killed), your Chesa kubrow will just stand there doing nothing and wait for all the alerted enemies to die before taking any other action. The most likely outcome is you and your (broken state AI) kubrow die together. Your kubrow will just stand there with the Retrieve mod equipped, doing nothing until he himself falls or you get revived by another player. (scenarios showcased in the clips section below)

Another issue: next to the one mentioned above is, the most useful case here would be to get revived by your kubrow when you are alone in a solo match. However, if you're the only person in the session, you do not enter the bleed-out state, and instead die instantly while never giving the Chesa kubrow a chance to revive you.

Reality:

• My first kubrow was a Chesa, and I brought him on many adventures. Not a single one of those adventures did he have the conditions to be "out of combat" with health orbs nearby to revive me. The most common thing that would happen is my Chesa would freeze for a second. and then stand next to me waiting for his demise because of his stuck AI
  • Even if this behavior was solved, with the new Fetch mod it will be very unlikely to be downed with health orbs nearby because of Retrieve's low range compared to Fetch

Solutions:

• Make the Chesa kubrow do anything when you're bleeding out:
  1. continue attacking enemies until his last dying breath
  2. force him reach for health orbs to revive you (the expected behavior with Retrieve)
  • Make the player enter bleed-out during solo sessions if he has a companion with Retrieve mod equipped

Clips during testing:

• Killed all nearby enemies with health orbs within reach. Revive was successful
  • Waited with killing all nearby enemies, Kubrow AI got stuck until last enemy died. He tried to revive me right after the enemy got removed, but was too slow: 
  • More realistic scenario of Kubrow AI getting stuck in the battle field when there are nearby health orbs, preforming no further actions until his death