Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

blocking is useless

Genesix6

I have been playing this game for quite some time, and I come to realize that blocking with melee weapon is kinda useless. Because the enemies that use melee Is very small compared to the ones that use guns. Not to mention most of the enemies that uses melee use machete, only 1 that use a dual weapons, a hammer and a fist. They're also slow as well, making them vunerable for you to have a time to attack them, while also making the parry function useless as well

Enemies should be able to use weapon from the clan research. Like a grineer that uses jat kusar,  a corpus using arca titron. They should be able to move more faster as well as they focus on getting closer and able to use their own stance that fits their bodies structure

Edited by Genesix6

I will state for the record that Melee only sorties have some use for blocking, since you can't shoot them first you may want to use your weapon to mitigate damage if you're forced to only use it.

But I agree, blocking feels somewhat pointless when you can evade damage completely most of the time.

I dunno. I see some point in it. It lessens damage types from guns and melee, blocks knockback effects (won't get knocked on your bum...) and I mean, no one says you cannot block while you move so...you can even combine darting around like a ninja with blocking effortlessly if you are feeling the ouch. If you like to time your blocks and enjoy channeling with melee weapons you can even deflect damage entirely. 

You could also use the mod Reflection to reflect damage taken back while blocking. 

I mean, I can certainly agree that blocking feels underwhelming, but it helped me out a lot when I was newer, and certainly has plenty of uses outside of versus enemies with melee weapons. But I won't complain about a boost or tweak. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, McGoodGreen said:

I dunno. I see some point in it. It lessens damage types from guns and melee, blocks knockback effects (won't get knocked on your bum...) and I mean, no one says you cannot block while you move so...you can even combine darting around like a ninja with blocking effortlessly if you are feeling the ouch. If you like to time your blocks and enjoy channeling with melee weapons you can even deflect damage entirely. 

I would think that most of the issue such bullet damage and melee knockback can be avoided with rolling or dodging. The problem is not that the blocking is bad, it just has no use in the game, where the enemy that use melee has slow movement, you have to wait for them to come to you.

19 minutes ago, McGoodGreen said:

You could also use the mod Reflection to reflect damage taken back while blocking. 

The reflection has only some use to certain faction. Corpus might work, but grineer won't work because they have armor that reduce the damage. Tbh DE should turn into a passive for melee weapon instead of being a mod

31 minutes ago, McGoodGreen said:

I mean, I can certainly agree that blocking feels underwhelming, but it helped me out a lot when I was newer, and certainly has plenty of uses outside of versus enemies with melee weapons. But I won't complain about a boost or tweak. 

It also resists the pulling effect of ancients/scorpions. Those two things combined make the block decent imho. Being knocked around/pulled is on my top 10 of things I despise the most in warframe so...no, definitely not useless.

Blocking also deflects a percentage of incoming bullet damage. we may argue that scaling obscene damage makes it less efficient in high levels but the anti smack thing is still there

Edited by Olphalarepth
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Olphalarepth said:

It also resists the pulling effect of ancients/scorpions. Those two things combined make the block decent imho. Being knocked around/pulled is on my top 10 of things I despise the most in warframe so...no, definitely not useless.

Blocking also deflects a percentage of incoming bullet damage. we may argue that scaling obscene damage makes it less efficient in high levels but the anti smack thing is still there

Oh yeah! Totally forgot about blocking canceling out the hookshots from Scorpion enemies and stuff. That sort of thing really slaughtered me when I was newer. I think DE has given an honest effort into making blocking useful. Some melee weapons are better for it than others, obviously. But again, I wouldn't turn down more options/mods. I wouldn't call it useless by any means though. 

2 hours ago, Genesix6 said:

Because the enemies that use melee Is very small compared to the ones that use guns.

you do know you can block bullets too, right? it's always smarter to block the moment you see a ranged enemy aiming at you, it'll reduce some of the damage you take anyway. not being hooked by Ancients and Scorpions is also pretty nice. it also looks kind of cool.

blocking definitely isn't perfect though, hopefully melee 3.0 will bring some much needed changes.

edit: also, deflecting bullets is one thing, but I'd love animations where we actually cut bullets out of the air. it always looks amazing IMO.

Edited by (PS4)robotwars7

From personal expirience, blocking is quite underwhelming but I did find it to be usefull in at least a few instances where I needed to build up energy as I run the traditional Vampire-Rage build for my Excalibur. I can't say for sure it will do you any real good in mobs above lvl 100 but overall it hasn't been bad. 

Blocking can also help when you can't evade a knockback AOE too but it's very situational and you way better off with Handspring too. 

Still, I'd prefer it gets some improvement/changes when 3.0 arrives too, right now its more of a after thought then anything actualy worth considering.

Edited by Henji

4 minutes ago, Genesix6 said:

You memeing strike? Isn't that gonna get nerf when melee 3.0 came

Yes i meme strike 24/7 what is the point is doing anything else when i can clear a room in second with my ranged weapon.. Seriously who knows what will happen when 3.0 arrives, if they nerf range i'll just move on to another game...

Melee is beyond atrocious.

Edited by DanteYoda

18 minutes ago, DanteYoda said:

Yes i meme strike 24/7 what is the point is doing anything else when i can clear a room in second with my ranged weapon.. Seriously who knows what will happen when 3.0 arrives, if they nerf range i'll just move on to another game...

Melee is beyond atrocious.

Found the Ignis/Arca Plasmor kiddo.

The whole Melee system is more or less Useless... I don't block, I don't channel... I don't switch to Melee at all... guns work way too well and in more situations so I don't bother with it.... my melee weapon is for Smashing Open loot. :p 

Now if the Melee was as good as something like DmC or Furi then I might reconsider.

My only issue with blocking is that reflex Guard is bugged to not work when your primary or secondary is out.  Rather..it visually works but doesn't apply the block DR. Not sure why this bug has never been addressed but maybe with the new melee changes it'll finally get fixed.

Keep in mind different weapon block bullets damage at different percentage. And blocking with melee if done correctly and modded correctly will lead to a finisher attack.

... We need 1000 cuts event to be back.

As for knock back, ancient or scorpion hook... ever since i got prime sure footed, i’ve build an immortal brawler oberon to bring to derelict survival with this mod equipped. And so far it has been fun