Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban rework's rework

(PSN)LeonidasxGGG

Hi DE,

I can't say I am a Vauban main, but I have been playing a lot with Vauban Prime latelly and I really thing his abilities excel in Vallis because of his CC and electric damage. So, I decided to provide some constructive feedback on how he could be better.
Let me start by saying this first:

He needs WAY better armor - even with Maxed Steel Fiber he still gets killed by level 30 enemies.
He need faster casting animation - because some of his grenades can stick to enemies and allies AND do damage on contact, but it takes him too long to throw them and I miss the mark many MANY times.
All grenades should explode on impact (on structures, ground or enemies, not on allies) and the default Blast damage should be increased.
Visible area of each grenade(s) - so when we lauch a mine we can clearly see the range of its effect (Bastille and Vortex, excluded mind you).

Now about his abilities, and I must say that this is/was a very difficult one to tackle because it has (way) to many stats for each one of them. But, here I go:

Tesla, passes to 2nd. And Minelayer is now his 1st. There is a reason for this change, I will explain further ahead.

Minelayer allows you to select between 4 grenades, same duration for all, similar range for all, each with its how color matching (similar) elemental damage (over time, not ticks):
Electric - is "visually" a true Tesla Coil. It can stick, and a electric bubble appears around it.
Fire - this would do a circular Fire Wall (lk Ember's World on Fire). It can also stick. OR it can do a Wall of Fire on the ground (lk Trip Laser), but in this case it wouldn't stick, o course.
Gas - typical gas cloud (lk Lesion). Definitelly needs to stick everywhere.
Cold - creates an area on the ground with Ice that slows down enemies. This could be a straight line (lk Frost's Ice Wave Impedance), or and angle (lk Oberon's Hallowed Ground).
The Aug for Tesla, can still be applied here.

[Concerning Casting Minelayer: (this is just for PS4) tapping R1 should release the grenade and not rotate them. Holding R1 should do that. This way we can select the grenade we want at beguinning of mission (depending of enemy faction) and just tap it whenever we need to use it, just like we do with any other Warframe abilty.]

Tesla (might need a name change)
Creates a area that pushes back enemies by ticks per second and deals Magnetic damage (a bit of a merge between Bounce and Consuss). Strenght mods would determine just how hard that push would be. At 100% the enemies would get pushed to the edge of ability range (lk Eidolon Stomp), but: above that they could be ragdolled (lk Wyrm does), bellow that they would just stumble to their knees. This does NOT affect you or your allies (no more Bouncing around, we don't need it and it's more annoying than helpful).
These should also stick, creating a globe (lk Corpus Comba) that makes enemies get pushed back. If they do not stick, they should then create a "visible" area on the ground (lk Leech Osprey).

[Concerning Magnetic: because it is only useful with enemies that have shields I really think DE should rethink what Magnetic damage does. If Radiation can do a bit of CC by confusing enemies, mayne Magnetic could have a similar inbued effect like "deaf" (or similar) maybe?... Just a thought]

Bastille
Remains as is because it is beautiful, BUT now also does Corrosive damage and depletes armor (like Shred before).
The Aug still applies.

Vortex
Remains the same, BUT now does Radiation damage (like Concuss used to do, I mean, after all that spinning they have to be a little confused, am I right?). However, it does need a buff in damage. The Aug could still apply, but...

[Cencerning Perpetual Vortex: why waste energy to cast the same ability to only lasts 70% more, when you could wait until it ends and use the same energy to do one that lasts 100%?... I think you it would make more sense: casting the same ability while the first is still 'on' would reduce your energy cost by 70% or 30%]

Now: why did I put Minelayer 1st? Well, because you can use those elemental grenades to "sinergize" with the remaining abilities. Launching and combining the grenades in range of abilities 2,3 and 4, you can increase they damage by up to 200% (each elemental grenade would +50%)

Also, 2,3 and 4 now do the 'trifecta' push, trap or pull; and they can all be charged. Not to do more damage, but to increase the initial blast damage AND if you maxed the charge, upon finishing ability duration, the grenade would unleash another bigger and stronger Blast explosion.

So... This is it. It was hard work to compose all this, trying to be "fresh" but still maintaining his identity, but I hope it helps all Vauban players in the future.

They need to swap that charge/tap to throw/swap stuff because the current setup sucks.

they need to get rid of the limit on the rings.

they need to buff the armor on the poor dude.

i actually played with a vauban the other night in a interception mission and was like this dude is on point, but honestly he needs some love.

17 hours ago, Dabnician said:

They need to swap that charge/tap to throw/swap stuff because the current setup sucks.

i actually played with a vauban the other night in a interception mission and was like this dude is on point, but honestly he needs some love.

I've mentioned is casting too, and I agree that it seems to work backword. And yes, he excels at Interception (unless there are Nullifiers).

14 hours ago, Potadoesitagain said:

Minelayer ability needs to go away entireley

I almost never it use because the "balls" (lol) are all bad. But I do think that it is kind of his trademark.

However, I wouldn't oppose to have his 1st with just the electric ball I described (basically just a tweek of Tesla), and his second ability be like I described by pushing enemies away... So, no more ball selection.

I have not gotten Vauban yet (damn alert system to get him is never in my favor when I am on) but have been wanting to use him and have seen many videos explaining his abilities and why they are lackluster at present time, so take my idea with a grain of salt. Since he is an engineer, I thought maybe one of his abilities (likely replacing his 1 or 2 since they seem to be the ones people find most useless) could borrow from Final Fantasy 14's Machinist. In that game, the Machinist can summon one of two types of flying mobile automated turrets. One of them is focused on single target damage and the other is focused on AOE damage. Additionally, at any point the Machinist can sacrifice those turrets and manually destroy them, each granting a different buff to the party whose strength is dependent one how much health the turret has left at the time of being sacrificed. 

For Vauban, instead of those two his new ability could cycle between 3 types of Sentinels to summon that does not take a pet slot (similar to Khora with Venari). The first can focus on offense, attacking enemies with strong damage that can be modded. When sacrificed, it restores health to the party proportional to how much health it had left when Vauban chooses to detonate it. The second Sentinel could be crowd control, stunning all enemies that approach it's line of sight. When sacrificed, it restores energy to the party proportional to health left. The last one is focused on defense and has high armor and shields drawing aggro from all enemies so they attack it instead of the party or something/someone being defended in a mission. When sacrificed, it provides overshields to the party proportional to the health it has left. 

Not sure if that would work in-game but it would fit in with his engineer motif and gives him variety with support options. Of course there should be recast cooldowns or something so he can't just spam all those buffs.

Let me know what you think.  

• Like 1

On 24 de janeiro de 2019 at 4:47 AM, (NSW)SantCruz said:

Let me know what you think.  

I LOVE IT! I would love to see that instead of all those useless "balls" in Minelayer... Although, that would probably be better suited for a new frame altogether. Cuz reworks don't really change "core" abilities like that. Still, definitelly something DE should take notice.

• Like 1