Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Story Theory

Helios1414

After the Chains Of Harrow questline we learned that the void is actually a living entity that Rell calls "the man in the wall", the leader of the red veil described it as an timeless entity so if it is truly timeless I was thinking of what influence it could have had in the past.

My first thought was of the sentients, Ballas built them to have a weakness against the void and once they turned on the Orokin they had to come up with something that they could use against it so he made the infestead. at first it was working but the infestead ended up turning on the orokin as well, my thought was that if the infestead where made to battle the sentients they should hold atleast a small amount of void power, not too much to be possessed by it like our operators are so they had to use swarm tactics to take down sentients, after a while I believe the Man in the wall was able to influence their minds just a bit to gain independence and that's where they started turning on the orokin as well forcing the empire to make a new weapon. 

then I started to think, what if the sentients somehow saw the true form of the void as Rell has, they where unique creatures with an immense power to adapt and think so its possible  that the sentients came across the man in the wall trying to find a way around their weakness, once they discovered what the void really was they tried to stop the orokin from further experiments so not to unleash it into the system, but the orokin where greedy for that power and ignored the warnings, so the only way for it to be stopped was for the war to take place and the empire to be destroyed. as far as I can tell the only targets of the sentients are the empire and the tenno, the empire who had so much data and knowledge of the void and the tenno who where the perfect weapons made by the void, it would make sense the sequence Hunhow started was pointed to truly stop the man in the wall from gaining form.

The idea of this theory is that the man in the wall orchestrated the events to create the tenno so he could gain form for some reason, most likely with evil intentions to destroy the system, all the chaos could have been planned to start as soon as humans discovered the void.

its just a theory but if im missing any information that could completely disprove the theory I would love to hear it, I don't really have any access to the comics so there might be something in there that im missing as well

Edited by Helios1414

Well, IIRC the stated reason for the Sentients starting the war had nothing to do with the void but was that the Sentients having grown..... well, sentient, saw that the Orokin would ruijn the Tau system like they did in the Origin System to planets like Earth. This sound be backed up by the Vitruvian logs I think.

• Like 1

Atsia's not wrong, but it's a little more than that.

We still don't know what the Void is. We can interpret that The Man in The Wall (or just Wally for short) is an entity, but whether they are The Void... not clear. We also know that Wally is not exactly on anyone's side.

However, the Sentients relationship with the Void is different, as far as we know. The Void is clearly stated to be a place of chaotic energy that defies the logic and physics of our material system. The Orokin designed the Sentients to adapt and grow, but they did so within limits; if they enter the Void to travel the distances between stars, they lose their ability to adapt and change. That's why we can take the shields off Eidolons with Void Energy, it's specifically anathema to their Adaptation and Regeneration, because it's pure, physics-defying chaos energy.

Hunhow and Natah's Old War against the Orokin was even less connected with The Man in The Wall. The Sentients were dispatched to terraform Tau, and as Atsia said before me, were shown what a pristine and beautiful place a system could be without the Orokin crapping all over it. So in order to protect Tau, the two Sentients, Natah and Hunhow, travelled back through the Void, losing their ability to adapt and grow, or spawn new Sentient life, sacrificing themselves in order to wipe out the Orokin before they could conquer Tau.

It's a little confusing from there, but I'm actually fairly certain that it was the Tenno, little void demons all of us, were turning the tides that Natah made the most devious move yet. She looked for somebody that the Tenno trusted, Margulis, and assumed her form, her general nature, and took the children from their Orokin slavers. In return, the Tenno, who were winning the war against the two Sentients and had apparently defeated Hunhow, crashing him into the seas of Uranus, loved her. It was this twisted love that allowed Margulis to repress the Tenno's true powers, hide them on the Moon and then send the Moon into the Void, while the Tenno in return killed off all the Orokin high command for her.

With the Orokin dealt with, there was no chance they could have taken over Tau, but wiping out the rest of the system would have meant wiping out the Tenno too, and Natah, with Margulis' form, likely couldn't go through with that. Especially not with her Father out of the picture... It's likely that she just let it all lie where it fell and nothing happened until the Tenno started being awakened and harvested by the Grineer and Corpus.

In the grande scheme of things, the Sentients are Hippy Warriors, out to destroy those who would destroy nature, while the Tenno are literally just orphans with bad foster parents telling them what to do with their powers.

Meanwhile everyone else is... well, until we found Cetus, Fortuna, that group of civvies during the Nidus quest... everyone else we knew were just butt-hats or more bad foster parents ^^

Edited by Birdframe_Prime
  • Like 1

it is very possible that the void didn't have any effect or cause for the old war, but it is still possible that it did have an influence twords/in it, if the void itself is conscious and intelligent enough there might be a valid point why Ballas made sentients to be weak against it, he has done countless studies on the void perhaps he got too close to it and it found a way to influence his mind. the way I look at it Orokin creates sentients, sentients kill orokin, void kills sentients, its a simple plan but might have been thrown off by the development of the infestead to combat the sentients

I guess the biggest problem I can see is that theres probably no way he would have expected Natah to defect into the Lotus, maybe when she passed through the void he was able to poison her mind, but going so far to believe that space mom is a puppet of the void is a bit too much.

• Like 1