[DE]Danielle

Classic Controller Config Removal in Update 24.2.9

81ccffe92e5ffa7efb2ebc3c4daf31b7.jpg

We will be departing from the Classic Controller Config in Fortuna: The Profit-Taker - Update 24.2.9 as it has for long presented numerous issues and bugs in testing and on launch of new Quests, features, systems, ect. We’re at a point now where Warframe is at a size that this Config introduces surmounting issues that ultimately slows testing. 

If you are a Classic Controller Config Tenno and you'd like to prepare for the change before the update goes live, you can change to the New Controller Config and start customizing your controller bindings to your liking by going into Options > Customize Controller. When the update goes live, Tenno using the Classic Controller Config will be defaulted to the New Controller Config, but customizing will always be available if desired!  

a74f4b1cef6cb4463bebec9626b1d82a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't know how many people still use the classic controller configuration (I still do), but I guess this was a long time coming...

Now that I'm going to be forced to use it "new controller" bindings, I'd like like to voice my problems with it.

The first time I tried it (years ago when it debuted) there was some kind of crazy bug that locked me into it and wouldn't let me use my weapons at all. I'm guessing that this has been fixed but this highlights the thing I dislike about the "power menu" the most: the only inputs I can access on it are for powers.

I would love it if the power menu at least gave me access to more hotkeys for my gear wheel at least. Right now, if I bring up the power menu, the only things I can do are cast powers, but it's at the expense of turning off all my other buttons. Call it something other than the "power menu" if you need to, or set it up so that you have to opt into the extra bindings, but I would like to have options for other actions when I pull up that menu.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, (PS4)blackbeltdude7 said:

this highlights the thing I dislike about the "power menu" the most: the only inputs I can access on it are for powers.

I would love it if the power menu at least gave me access to more hotkeys for my gear wheel at least. Right now, if I bring up the power menu, the only things I can do are cast powers, but it's at the expense of turning off all my other buttons.

As someone who has played on the “new” scheme since I started back in 2015, this has never been a issue for me. Don’t actually think of the power menu as a menu, as it isn’t really one as such. You already know which power is mapped to which face button very quickly, so it’s just a case of “press R1 & X” or “press R1 & O”. You literally only need to bring up the menu as you press the button for the ability, and since you would only be casting that ability at that point anyway, it doesn’t stop you doing anything in the <1 second that it’s pressed. I believe that you can still move as well when pressing it, but as I said, you literally tap it alongside a face button, it’s not going to interfere with anything you’re doing.

5 hours ago, [DE]Danielle said:

a74f4b1cef6cb4463bebec9626b1d82a.jpg

The New Controller picture still shows the touchpad as useable for casting abilities.  Only that the R1 button is now the Ability menu button.  So I can still swipe the touchpad for abilities?!

Sigh, years of finger muscle memory now needs to be retrained. 😞 . I guess it's partly my fault for not switching sooner, but yeah, thanks for yet another inconvenience..

Edited by (PS4)vinster
Reply shouldn't be in the quoted area.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)doctor_em-15 said:

As someone who has played on the “new” scheme since I started back in 2015, this has never been a issue for me. Don’t actually think of the power menu as a menu, as it isn’t really one as such. You already know which power is mapped to which face button very quickly, so it’s just a case of “press R1 & X” or “press R1 & O”. You literally only need to bring up the menu as you press the button for the ability, and since you would only be casting that ability at that point anyway, it doesn’t stop you doing anything in the <1 second that it’s pressed. I believe that you can still move as well when pressing it, but as I said, you literally tap it alongside a face button, it’s not going to interfere with anything you’re doing.

I get what you're saying, and I'll have to play around with it, but I think that set up will suit some frames better than others. Personally, since my muscle memory isn't used to it, so it's going to feel real clunky to me at the get go.

As far as I know, the new control scheme forces you to use the power menu, while classic didn't. Potentially, I can work around this if I really want to (since touch pad still uses the powers) but I'm pretty sure it makes you assign a button to the power menu no matter what you do. What I'm saying is, if I have to use the power menu, then they should let me do more with it (like letting me assign some more hot keys if nothing else).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, (PS4)blackbeltdude7 said:

As far as I know, the new control scheme forces you to use the power menu, while classic didn't. Potentially, I can work around this if I really want to (since touch pad still uses the powers) but I'm pretty sure it makes you assign a button to the power menu no matter what you do. What I'm saying is, if I have to use the power menu, then they should let me do more with it (like letting me assign some more hot keys if nothing else).

Yeah, it is a shame there’s nothing else you can assign to the power  menu other than the powers, and I definitely understand the issues with muscle memory.

At least you should be able to remap some of the other controls to get it closer to a scheme that suits you.

Since we are getting a controller update can we finally make it so you can airglide and shoot while the wheel is up? Theres no point to making abilities able to be used when shooting if pulling up the menu cancels it! And don't even get me started on how hard it is to use Nova's wormhole while airgliding. A silly nitpick but it will totally be nice.

9 hours ago, (PS4)blackbeltdude7 said:

I don't know how many people still use the classic controller configuration (I still do), but I guess this was a long time coming...

Now that I'm going to be forced to use it "new controller" bindings, I'd like like to voice my problems with it.

The first time I tried it (years ago when it debuted) there was some kind of crazy bug that locked me into it and wouldn't let me use my weapons at all. I'm guessing that this has been fixed but this highlights the thing I dislike about the "power menu" the most: the only inputs I can access on it are for powers.

I would love it if the power menu at least gave me access to more hotkeys for my gear wheel at least. Right now, if I bring up the power menu, the only things I can do are cast powers, but it's at the expense of turning off all my other buttons. Call it something other than the "power menu" if you need to, or set it up so that you have to opt into the extra bindings, but I would like to have options for other actions when I pull up that menu.

As someone who was forced to adapt to a hybrid of classic and new I completely agree and support the quoted suggestion. The power menu should just be a sub menu of hot keys that can be accessed on the fly. The consumables wheel is clumsy at best on controllers and we have very limited buttons for gear hotkey bindings.

As a side note, the fact that some actions can not be bound to the touch pad strikes me as odd and frustrating. The biggest example is opening the consumables wheel. This does not require a held button press so there is no good explanation for why it cannot not be placed on the touch pad. Allowing this would free up one of my d-pad buttons and enhance the ergonomics of my controller layout.

Edited by (PS4)appretice
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

For me the issue with new was making in options that context action is reload as well as I wanted to keep inspect, thus opening or reviving to early ends up triggering reload animation and kinda gets in the way, I know there is the /profile user option but quick press was better. R1 needs to be more than an ability menu, looks weird that you can use pad for powers yet have button access to same powers, changed my pads to gear hotkey 1 - 4 and placed restores, the new gear menu makes it weird to reselect a trap or camera twice, always have to spin similar to an old dial phone, the 5 being show map like how other games use it and put focus in ability menu, use reverse camera option for where focus was on d-pad because I've had moments where it helped but I've also wanted more hotkey or place reload somewhere lol

• Like 1

My powers are mapped to my d-pad. Is that not going to be an option anymore?? And the touchpad needs to be able to be mapped to consumables. Also, I can’t use R1 for melee either?? 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)VaDeR81 said:

My powers are mapped to my d-pad. Is that not going to be an option anymore?? And the touchpad needs to be able to be mapped to consumables. Also, I can’t use R1 for melee either?? 

I think we just have to wait until the update drops to find out. 😕  Not sure if DE's PS4 team or Danielle is even reading these follow-ups.  Maybe they have but haven't responded yet.

I asked a question earlier too about the touchpad and would also like to know if R1 can be remapped to quick melee.

Maybe they don't think this is a big deal because most players are on the new controller scheme.  Well, news flash, quite a few veterans that played the game and supported you when it first came out on the PS4 got used to the old controller scheme and like it, and now will be cursory dismissed.  Sad but that's the truth I guess.

• Like 1

I technically made “Copy & Paste” from Classic to new, R1 for Quick Melee and Abilities on Touchpad included, everything works fine. Not sure how it will be after update.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Onder6099 said:

I technically made “Copy & Paste” from Classic to new, R1 for Quick Melee and Abilities on Touchpad included, everything works fine. Not sure how it will be after update.

I know when it first launched they didn't allow for that configuration so if we are allowed to move Melee/Quick Melee back to R1 and Context Action back to "O" then I should be fine. I have always hated that they were essentially forcing me to not "aim" while meleeing but moving the button off the shoulder mapped ones. Also, I know you may have to use some steps in QA process for the configuration testing but what seriously about keeping a certain configuration around halts progress? 

Hey guys! To clarify because I'm seeing a lot of questions about the removal of the config - We are not removing the ability to re-bind your controller. We are simply doing away with the Classic Controller default binding scheme (configuration). 

2 hours ago, (PS4)VaDeR81 said:

You absolutely can re-map your Abilities to d-pad still and bind the touch-pad to consumables, yup! You can also bind melee to R1.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, [DE]Danielle said:

Hey guys! To clarify because I'm seeing a lot of questions about the removal of the config - We are not removing the ability to re-bind your controller. We are simply doing away with the Classic Controller default binding scheme (configuration). 

You absolutely can re-map your Abilities to d-pad still and bind the touch-pad to consumables, yup! You can also bind melee to R1.

Awesome.  Thanks so much for clarifying, Danellie!

I'll do what Onder6099 posted a few messages back and remap my current classic settings to the new controller config page.

35 minutes ago, (PS4)vinster said:

Awesome.  Thanks so much for clarifying, Danellie!

I'll do what Onder6099 posted a few messages back and remap my current classic settings to the new controller config page.

Absolutely my dude, happy to help 🙂

• Like 1

On 2019-01-25 at 3:15 PM, [DE]Danielle said:

Just to clarify, the fix to map consumables to the touch-pad is coming with this change? As of right now we can not and it's one of the more glaring frustrations I have with playing with a controller.

On 2019-01-27 at 12:58 AM, (PS4)appretice said:

Just to clarify, the fix to map consumables to the touch-pad is coming with this change? As of right now we can not and it's one of the more glaring frustrations I have with playing with a controller.

I double checked on the build we sent to cert to be sure, and I was able to bind gear hotkeys to the touch pad just fine! 

• Like 1

I was worried for nothing R1 has always been my abilities button!!!  Never use the touchpad except 4 transference.   Had no idea you could remap it or the d-pad.

Is it possible to move d-pad functions to touch.  Ps4 dpad is garbage and half the time i try to press left to mark stuff im also pressing up which enlarges map.  Definately gonna try after patch!

I swear...you should see me trying to fit everything on the PS4 HOTAS for Elite Dangerous to hilarious effect when I accidentally did that inside a space station..pro-tip don't ever fire off your weapons in one of those...it doesn't end well for you...I hear the Warthog HOTAS is coming...and it can't arrive fast enough..

I just wish I could at least key bind gear items on a keyboard in Warframe...that would help a ton..but I guess not yet...