Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Eject! Stalker Mode Needs Serious Work

ssh83

The stalker mode seen in the recent prime time is perfectly fine as a meme that DE staff can use for cheeky hilarity.  But it needs a bit of rework before it should be released to players.  Here's why:

1. Stalker player choose where he spawns:  All those weird nooks and crannies in the map?  The super dark spots in maps that you can't see without turning brightness up?  Yeah. They all become exploit targets when you do this.   I get why the designer might feel this is necessary to make up for Stalker's defense, but see #2.
  2. Stalker Stats:  Stalker's low stats is compensating for stalker player's ability to jump, dodge, hide, etc.  Sounds "balanced," until you start to evaluate the fun factor involved.  Is it fun for the stalker player to get one-shotted before he gets a chance to do something?  Is it fun to fight a non-stop jumping Stalker when you only have slow projectile weapons?

Stalker must not be a simple Conclave + skin.  It should be a especially designed encounter with proper reactive gameplay and counter play.

Here's what I think would be an interesting stalker fight.  This may be just one of many types of stalker, but the idea of fair/fun challenge should apply in general:

Stalker spawns with the same algorithm as AI stalker and his movement is limited to the same as simple running as AI.  Stalker uses exalted blade with slow swing speed but has magnetic+corrosive proc.  Exalted blade will also cancel warframe abilities so every frame needs to respect the danger of these energy waves.  The slowish travel speed of exalted blade allow players can see it coming and they can dodge it.  On the other hand, stalker player has to aim smart and predict player movement.  This is skill shot vs dodging gameplay that works regardless of loadout (unless Hobbled, so be mindful on where you allow stalker to invade...).  

Secondly, stalker get invulnerability while exalted blade is active for 10 seconds.   Then he loses exalted blade, becoming vulnerable with only a skana for 10 seconds.  The VFX on stalker should clearly indicate the change, and stalker health bar is no longer grayed out.  After the 10 seconds of weakness, stalker can reactivate exalted blade again.  So it works like Pac Man.  Stalker chases the players.   Then player gets their chance to fight back.  Repeat until resolution.

Edited by ssh83
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Players are always asking for a real challenge in warframe, but when something challenging comes up, they say that it's trash & not fun

Asking for a challenge does not mean asking for PvP. Otherwise those players (Including me) would be playing at the Conclave.

We're not.

Your example is akin to asking for food and being given dirt. Sure you can eat it, but that's a bastardization of what you asked for.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 11

31 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Asking for a challenge does not mean asking for PvE. Otherwise those players would be playing at the Conclave.

Because it's PvP doesn't mean Stalker Mode is the same as Conclave

Edited by Xenox_Ilz-ot
PvP, not PvE ><
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Because it's PvE doesn't mean Stalker Mode is the same as Conclave

It's a PvP mode. You succeed or fail based on your ability or inability to kill another player.

Since it's a PvP mode, I expect an opt-in or an opt-out option or I'm going to complain if there isn't one. I do not wish to get involved with other players in PvP or PvP-styled or PvP-oriented or PvP-derivative modes in Warframe. I had enough of Conclave.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

It's a PvP mode. You succeed or fail based on your ability or inability to kill another player.

Since it's a PvP mode, I expect an opt-in or an opt-out option. I do not wish to get involved with other players in PvP or PvP-styled or PvP-oriented or PvP-derivative modes in Warframe. I had enough of Conclave.

So your like the rest, "never tried it (even tho it's not even out), but I still don't like it"

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Asking for a challenge does not mean asking for Pv'P'. Otherwise those players (Including me) would be playing at the Conclave.

We're not.

Your example is akin to asking for food and being given dirt. Sure you can eat it, but that a bastardization of what you asked for.

I fixed for you.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

So your like the rest, "never tried it (even tho it's not even out), but I still don't like it"

I don't have to try it: I don't want another player to interfere in any shape, way or form in a mission I am playing at even if I'm not the target and I don't want more PvP-styled or PvP-oriented or PvP-inspired modes in Warframe. Period.

Even if they only took 1 year to make this it could have been time spent polishing melee 3.0, or making the flying Eidolon, or reworking frames, or making new quests, or fixing the trials sooner.

A PvP mode taking away resources and manpower from a PvE game is not something that gets me excited to try. If I wanted PvP I'd still be at the Conclave or playing CoD.

Good if you want it. You do you, but I don't have to and don't want to be a part of it. I'm going to complain a lot if there's no opt-out or opt-in option.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 7

The major problem is many players hate by heart the pvp but they want to be challenged but they does not realize the best challenge is a living person who can think, use tactic. 

The AI won't be as smart and tactful as pve players want and DE does not capable to add more and interesting enemies only sponges. This game is a hordeshooter and the conclave and every other non pve game mode exists because they hoped we will use it to be challenged. 

Lunaro could be a challenge if there will be larger teams, attendance, tournaments and a stable server host.

Conclave can be fun if more people play it and there would be an option to match you with similar level / skilled players.

Dark sectors were interesting but it was buggy and not many clan liked to capture and defend sectors.

Frame fighter added in purpose to make some fun yet players not use it.

The list goes on and they never will able to please us because the replayability and challenge is mainly come from pvp not pve. The pve is sadly limited.

PS : I do like pve and pvp in games and a healthy balance would be nice but they need to change ideology and fix halfbaked stuffs before adding bone dry content.

Edited by Serafinia
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Serafinia said:

The major problem is many players hate by heart the pvp but they want to be challenged but they does not realize the best challenge is a living person who can think, use tactic. 

The AI won't be as smart and tactful as pve players want and DE does not capable to add more and interesting enemies only sponges. This game is a hordeshooter and the conclave and every other non pve game mode exists because they hoped we will use it to be challenged. 

Lunaro could be a challenge if there will be larger teams, attendance, tournaments and a stable server host.

Conclave can be fun if more people play it and there would be an option to match you with similar level / skilled players.

Dark sectors were interesting but it was buggy and not many clan liked to capture and defend sectors.

Frame fighter added in purpose to make some fun yet players not use it.

The list goes on and they never will able to please us because the replayability and challenge is mainly come from pvp not pve. The pve is sadly limited.

Come up with interesting horde shooter PvP and I'll try that. But PvP is generally small teams or even solo players against other teams or solo players, which has nothing to do with the fun genocide that Warframe typically offers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

I don't have to try it

That's exactly what I said, if I make you a pie, but you hate the taste, next time I give you a different pie, even tho it's different, if it's still a pie, you won't eat it?

8 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

it could have been time spent polishing melee 3.0, or making the flying Eidolon, or reworking frames, or making new quests, or fixing the trials sooner.

DE have teams, because one work on something doesn't mean everyone at DE is doing the same thing as well, you can even see it, Melee 3.0 is coming together, the Flydolon is pretty much finished from what we've seen, like what Steve showed us on twitter, reworks are also being done, we got Nyx not so long ago for example

Edited by Xenox_Ilz-ot
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Serafinia said:

Finally! Someone actually understands that! Damn

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolDudeMcCool said:

Come up with interesting horde shooter PvP and I'll try that. But PvP is generally small teams or even solo players against other teams or solo players, which has nothing to do with the fun genocide that Warframe typically offers.

Natural Selection come into my mind if I want some horde shooter like game but that mainly focus on team play, cooperation and strategy from the person who leads these teams.

PVE can only be fun if they can add content which gives :

1. Replayability

2. Challenge ( better AI)

3. Exploration

4. Rewards.

5. Story

One of these missing from the table and then you have an incomplete game. Not all game use equal these but mainly these things determine a game fun. Some person enjoying the simply fun to kill stuffs but others want hardcore battles and last minute saves. PvP in other hand gives the second " because thinking beign is your opponent ". The others in this game are different and some are non existent while others exists but in a lower amount.

Edited by Serafinia
typo
  • Like 6