Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is "stat bashing" or trolling a common occurence?

VieuxPappy

I tend to play a TON of WF, then leave and comeback months later to binge-play WF again, then leave then come back etc.
Because of that, and the fact that I hate to grind for the sake of grinding (aka I don't play with weapons that don't interest me just for lvling up my rank) and therefore I only have a profile rank 17. For a founder, from what I heard, it is quite low (I guess we are expected to play the game nonstop since it came out?).  

So yeah, all that to say I just recently came back from a decently long break and encountered some dude/dudette playing limbo, spamming his banish on teamates, looking up my profile (I guess) and started trash talking about my rank, how I wasn't rank 26 and that I had only lvled 2 factions blablabla. Reported the dude for harassement and ignored him. Just wanted to know if this kind of behavior is common practice nowadays and if reporting for harassement is the way to deal with it (or to point out to DE that a certain individual is not welcomed in the community unless they stop being childish/toxic). When you're about to report it says "false reports will be held against you blabla" so, even tho I did report him, wasn't sure if I did the correct thing. Also, I know rolling out of a banish is a thing but what do you do against a spammer limbo or loki that is just there to troll, beside just leaving the game? 

Thanks, and have a good weekend!

Well that's a first for me as well.

I honestly don't know who would bother pausing the game mid-mission, move the cursor over to player profile, and proceed to read off your stats in freaking Warframe of all games.

This is pretty common in games like League of Legends where you're always alt-tabbed to see the match history of your teammates and opponents.

Just sounds like a rude dude.

If it were me, I wouldn't jump to report the guy for trashtalking in chat but if he started spamming Banish then I'd probably report him.

Edited by Tricky5hift
  • Like 1

Literally never had anyone do that.

I can remember a single time when a guy posted "sigh" or something to that effect in chat, cause we were waiting in extraction for a pretty long time for the last dude. That' the most "toxic" thing I've witnessed.

TBH, most people (me included) don't use chat very often at all. The game's too fast for that in most occasions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VieuxPappy said:

Just wanted to know if this kind of behavior is common practice nowadays

I have not ever encountered anything like this, but there's always a rotten apple ready to prove that your trust in humans is misplaced.

il y a 6 minutes, Tricky5hift a dit :

Well that's a first for me as well.

I honestly don't know who would bother pausing the game mid-mission, move the cursor over to player profile, and proceed to read off your stats in freaking Warframe of all games.

This is pretty common in games like League of Legends where you're always alt-tabbed to see the match history of your teammates and opponents.

Just sounds like a rude dude.

If it were me, I wouldn't jump to report the guy for trashtalking in chat but if he started spamming Banish then I'd probably report him.

Yeah, it's one of the main reasons I stopped playing League of Salt. 
Oh and he did spammed his banish on me non stop through the whole 10 waves of defense I could endure with him before I said (to myself) F him, I'm out. 

à l’instant, (XB1)Cubic Clem a dit :

Like I said, playing limbo wrong and negatively affect the team just proves that someone has issues in the mind lol so I'm not surprised the guy attacked you.. ^^

Oh thought you said because he plays limbo, it's to be expected he's a troll 😛 My bad lol

Usually the most toxic thing I encounter is people expecting high level play, or a specific kind of run from public matchmaking.  If I could, I'd just respond "Welcome to public matchmaking, get used to it."  Especially endless missions.  Prepare for the long haul (my friend and I regularly go to Pluto for 20 excavators), but don't be surprised if people run one round and then bail.  The latter happened last night when I was helping a friend complete his starchart.  Forgot to put it on friends only for the Kuva Fortress survival.  Dude was not happy when we left after 5 minutes.  Sorry, buddy but "Welcome to public matchmaking."

Some players see MR as a metric of skill and they grind it just so they can behave like elitist and be toxic to players of lower MR ranking.

I myself am a MR26 player and that number says that I obtained and leveled a ton of equipment, it says that my lvl0 weapon has lot of capacity, it says that I have larger daily standing limit, large void traces capacity, it's says that I'm not a newb... etc.

But since grinding MR standing doesn't require any special skill (all MR tests can be cheezed with the right load-out, leveling equipment doesn't require any particular skill) that number doesn't say anything about my skill, I could be the biggest n00b in the entire game and still be MR26.

There is really no stat in the game which could be a reliable metric of players skill, so any kind of "muhuhu my X is bigger then yours so I'm better player" is just wishful thinking.

• Like 2

No, this is not a common occurrence; MR bashing is usually reserved to close knit groups as a sort of playful banter (sort of how calling someone's face ugly is extremely rude, unless that someone is your best friend, and he knows it is a joke.)

There are are two types of people I could understand this Limbo being:

1. Intentional troll, playing Limbo badly, just to get on people's nerves, throwing out insults to seal the deal. When he saw your glyph, you became a target.

2. Selfish, self-appointed "Squad Manager", he has an idea in his head how the squad should function, revolving around himself of course, and when something didn't go according to "plan" he lashed out at someone he thought "really ought to be playing better".

These are both understandable responses,but there is no question, he was in the wrong.

• Like 2

vor 29 Minuten schrieb VieuxPappy:

[...]

there are people who believe the misconception of simple numbers mattering. they need to compare themselves with others and draw conclusions to boost their own ego and more often than not these people tend to "stat bash". personally i do also have a bit of experience with it in warframe but usually thats the fastest way to get on my ignore list. dont pay attention to such behaviour or ignore list them, thats the easiest and best advice in my opinion. u wont correct their way of thinking and luckily there are not a lot compared to other games so ignore them and move on~

• Like 2

Well when I came back into WF, I was around MR14-15? I didn't even know anything about Operators and only around to actually doing anything about Operators just before Focus 2.0. 

In that time between then and now I've also encountered other Founders, one being MR9 and another being MR10. Some of my friends, who on and off play and are also founders are from MR4 to MR11.

I'm MR22 at this point and don't really care to increase cap further unless somehow I go insane and make a ton of items. I've had a couple of people ask why I don't go further and I give them my reasons: I just want to play the game and actually do things. MR16 is literally as far I need to go when it comes to MR locked content and MR20 is a good enough number for the minimum amount of mods we can equip. 

I've seen a few incidents of 'Stat Bashing' and found it's not just related to Founders. One that literally happened half an hour ago where some MR21 was yelling at another for being slow, being MR9 and being a newbie to the game. I told him it doesn't matter and to stop and he did. (Though I know many when they don't stop.) 

There will be people who act like that, whether it's Stat Bashing, Founder Bashing or even those Founders who feel entitled and bash others for not being on their level (I've encountered many of them also), but I can assure you within the time I went from MR14 to 17 to 22, I've never had anyone be negative about my MR. Curious about why it's not higher, yes. But not outright bashing me. 

• Like 1

Well basically he looked up your profile and talked S#&$ about you throughout the mission. That is exactly harassment. Though I would never bother with ppl like these. I had a kuva farming session where some guy was constantly calling the other one noob constantly cause he went down with Rhino a few times. It was interesting to watch them talk to each other so I didn't interfere.

• Like 1

I only saw once where a certain player who was MR26 decided to harp on a low level MR12 Slova in Hydron.  (To be fair I understand his frustration, but he took this too far.)

First he made a rude snide like "f'n noobs with their slova" to which I actually responded that he doesn't need to talk that way and while I understand his frustration he could just explain.  I proceeded to explain in chat why he didn't like Slova in that mission - the Nova actually complied.

That didn't stop this player though - he started going on about how it's a "noob female streamer" to which I then replied, "well now you're going too far"

I was then called out "Hey look at lagrue this feminist ****"  To which I responded, "I'm not being a feminist - just anti a-hole"  That pretty much shut the guy up then and there.  

The best part was when the mission finally ended and this poor MR12 Nova had 40% of the squad damage and this MR26 who had been losing his mind was at 7%.  I thought it was deeply funny to see this so called "noob female streamer" completely outscore this guy.   I don't even know to this day if it actually was a girl gamer, nor do I care, frankly - there's no reason for anybody to act like that.  Vets could easily explain themselves without losing their minds.  

You find an a-hole every now and again, it just happens.

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

I've been playing six years myself. I've put a lot of time and effort into the community and was present for very nearly every important event in Warframe's early life.

I'm also only MR19 and in no particular hurry to raise it. There is nothing in particular I'll unlock the ability to do being a higher rank so the MR ultimately isn't incredibly important.

Basically, it's cool OP. You met a guy, or guys, who were acting like a tool over nothing. MR isn't hugely important. Play the game at your pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VieuxPappy said:

Reported the dude for harassement and ignored him. Just wanted to know if this kind of behavior is common practice nowadays and if reporting for harassement is the way to deal with it

Good job. It happens, but yes: report/mute, move on.

il y a 9 minutes, TheRealShade a dit :

Nah, never seen someone do that, altho I guess I can see some players enjoying to rub it in the face of Founders when they are not max MR and everything completed.

Why the need to rub it in Founders' faces though? I never understood why some would like to be toxic toward Founders... The game would not have been where it is atm without them in the beginning to jump start it...

Edited by VieuxPappy

It is common among the low tier players as players often gravitate towards a quick reason to be right in an argument, mastery is the easiest one available so they use that.

It used to be worse, players asking for a specific MR players to join or players stating the MR to forcefully enter into a squad (often raids) was common, however some players know this is irrelevant and so when the MR is brought up, we already know the player can't be taken seriously, not when joining, not when hosting.

Don't let that take you down, it will happen from time to time afterall many want the highest MR so they can be taken seriously, but many things give the player away ingame and so one of them remains the mentioning of MR, if that is brought in an argument, consider your team with 1 less player and keep playing, those are lost causes and that's the way they will continue to play the game because that's how they have fun.

Don't worry, most of us want to play, have fun and enjoy what the team does

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VieuxPappy said:

Why the need to rub it in Founders' faces though? I never understood why some would like to be toxic toward Founders... The game would not have been where it is atm without them in the beginning to jump start it...

I know that, you know that, most of us I believe know that, the problem is that some of the founders also liked to "rub it in" to other players with their exclusives and that line right there. Personally, I couldn't care less about founders flaunting their "superiority", but I can see others not liking it, thus why some will take any chance to downsize a founder if they can, regardless of who it is. I know, it's sad, it's downright pathetic from both sides and it only serves to drag down the other members of each, but thankfully it's rare and isolated.

il y a une heure, TheRealShade a dit :

I know that, you know that, most of us I believe know that, the problem is that some of the founders also liked to "rub it in" to other players with their exclusives and that line right there. Personally, I couldn't care less about founders flaunting their "superiority", but I can see others not liking it, thus why some will take any chance to downsize a founder if they can, regardless of who it is. I know, it's sad, it's downright pathetic from both sides and it only serves to drag down the other members of each, but thankfully it's rare and isolated.

I'm sorry that that line feels like rubbing it in, I wasn't trying to do that. I mean it's cool to be proud to partake in a (what would become) a succesful and one of the best (IMHO) free-to-play games but to rub it on newer players in a condescending way (at least from what I understand from your description) is only gonna instigate toxicity. I mean... now I can understand why some people, if they were on the receiving end of founders that acted in a condescending manner, would be toxic toward me just because I happen to also be a founder. Good thing, as you say it's a rarety. Happy to hear that!

il y a une heure, (PS4)death404 a dit :

I stopped taking tests at 16, might get around to it, might not. I've met others who are doing the same, including my MR15 coworker who has been playing for 3-4 years. 

I've also played with many terrible high MR players. 

It means nothing.

Indeed. MR only serves to show how long you are ready to grind weapons just for the sake of MR. I mean, I could grind some just to increase my daily cap on standings but beside that... once you've reached a comfortable amount and you can use all weapons in the game, what's the point unless it's to boast/show off or because you are a completionist. I'v had people turn down my help (was asking if said individual wanted a good build for his nidus as he was struggling a bit, I was really trying to help and I wasn't condescending or anything, I even gave him a free faction mod for his nidus) and he turned me down saying he would rather only listen to his friend who was MR 26 insinuating that I'm just a "lowly" MR17 therefore I knew less. 😕

Edited by VieuxPappy

3 hours ago, VieuxPappy said:

So yeah, all that to say I just recently came back from a decently long break and encountered some dude/dudette playing limbo, spamming his banish on teamates, looking up my profile (I guess) and started trash talking about my rank, how I wasn't rank 26 and that I had only lvled 2 factions blablabla. Reported the dude for harassement and ignored him. Just wanted to know if this kind of behavior is common practice nowadays

It's not.... But some cat calling themselves a "Limbo Main" did the same thing to me here a couple/few weeks ago so it might be a growing trend.

It's a fairly dumb trend imo.

MR tells you very little and the profile stuff is pure crap...Still has my most used weapon as the Flux Rifle and I don't think I have used one since before dmg 2.0.

• Like 1