Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Acolyte's mods drop rate...

Thelk641

So, the acolytes. I've been farming them for hours now, Based on the mods I have, I have killed Angst 21 time and Malice 16 time : I've yet to get a single rare mod. Talked to a guy, said he had done 40 runs today, not a single rare either. We're talking about Pressurized Magazine and Narrow Barrel here, not the best mod ever, quite the opposite in fact. Can anyone give me a good enough argument to justify these particular mods being gated as a 4% drop on a boss that you can only fight when he wants to during an event that happens twice a year ? I mean even Argon Scope isn't worth a full day spent looking at a website that tells you where and when the boss is gonna be available for your (if you're lucky) brainless 2min long rush or (if you aren't) headache inducing 8 to 10min of running around a level because nobody checked the tiny room (that's not even marked on the map) that you have to access by going backward from the spawn so how in the world are these two worth it ?

Who thought this was a good idea !? You either are insanely lucky or have to buy them with plat, there's no middle ground, I have more free time then the average player, how in the world is an average player supposed to get them through playing the game ? it's just absurd. And it isn't even justified by lore : why do these NPCs have this mod ? Why do these mobs only spawn twice a year ? Because the spirit of previous Christmas says so apparently. 

I'm tired and pissed of and the worst thing is I know tomorrow will be the exact same thing but even more painful. Why DE, why.

Edited by Thelk641

Can anyone give me a good enough argument to justify these particular mods being gated as a 4% drop 

to get you to keep playing.
that's what all Randomization or XP bars or 'progression' schemes of any sort are for. to get you to keep playing. making it take longer to have ticked all of the boxes, no matter what the boxes are.

Edited by taiiat
  • Like 2

Acolyte rare mods have a 4% drop rate, so doing 40 runs gives you a 20% chance to not get a rare mod. Also, when acolytes were first a thing, the drop chance for rares was 2%. Also, the only rare acolyte mod worth getting is maiming strike and maybe argon scope. The rest only have completionist value. As such, you aren't missing much. You decided to do a thing that has a 4% drop rate, so don't be surprised that you don't get it after X runs. If they were such that the "average" player could just get them, they wouldn't be rare, let alone valuable. It might not be "fair", but such is the nature of the beast that is a game who's reward system is based on RNG.

Also, missing that one small room is your fault, not the games. You know how the spawn mechanic works, and every player that has played more than a couple hundred hours should have memorized all the tilesets and their connections. As for limited time events, those aren't really that bad. The only other relevant one is plague star, and if you happen to miss a limited time event for whatever reason, you can just buy the relevant things while the price is down. 

• Like 3

Poor fellow, you totally missed the point of this "event".

You see in games that know how to do events, good events are supposed to add some fresh air for players. Something else to do. Reward players for participating.

DE however sucks major ass at making events. This thing is platinum-trade-boosting to live up the economy. And that's about all.

If anything you should focus on farming plat in other ways, like void trader or trading and just buy all rare mods from others. And maybe, maaaaybe try to get yourself maiming strike from the acolyte.

That, or GL wasting whole week in hopes maybe that 80th acolyte will actually drop something good for once. 

Edited by deothor
  • Like 3

Significant lessening of RNG drop rates in most cases would be antithetical to WFs design and marketing strategy. It's a F2P action looter after all. That is mainly why you grind. Not because it's the most fun design choice. The rare mods in this case are supposed to be.. rare. And that's one of the main reasons these acolyte mods have bee worth 100s of plat.

• Like 2

Il y a 8 heures, taiiat a dit :

That's what all Randomization or XP bars or 'progression' schemes of any sort are for. to get you to keep playing. making it take longer to have ticked all of the boxes, no matter what the boxes are.

Then this is failing to reach its goal. I spent hours on this game, what's the result : I'm so burned out by this "experience" that I'm probably not gonna spend as much time as I would have during the next weeks, and it will never be an argument to keep me looking at the game for the next 9 or 10 months just to know when they'll come back. This is just there to boost the economy and kick players out of the game.

Il y a 6 heures, torint_man a dit :

You decided to do a thing that has a 4% drop rate, so don't be surprised that you don't get it after X runs.

Doesn't stop me from 1) being salty and 2) thinking that this drop rate is absurd.

And to the people think "well it's rare", okay, then why 4% ? Why not 0.0001% and only 100 credits if you don't get it ? Wouldn't that be even better for the "design and marketing strategy" ? This is absurd, period.

• Like 3

A lot of players seem to agree that the acolytes/mod drop rates are fine for what they are. Yes burning out does happen, taking a break is fine. 

I disagree with: 

1 hour ago, Thelk641 said:

This is just there to boost the economy and kick players out of the game.

Yes it might boost the economy. No, people still play. The numbers are still high. According to steamcharts.com, an hour ago, there were 76,868 steam/pc players. That doesn't even include console. IMO that's a great amount of people!

Doesn't stop me from 1) being salty and 2) thinking that this drop rate is absurd.

And to the people think "well it's rare", okay, then why 4% ? Why not 0.0001% and only 100 credits if you don't get it ? Wouldn't that be even better for the "design and marketing strategy" ? This is absurd, period.

Your saltyness is leaking into your other arguments. It's not 0.0001% because they decided to set it at 4%, and 0.0001% is way too low of a chance for a time limited event. 

No it would not, and I strongly disagree.

Il y a 3 heures, GrayFrequency a dit :

Your saltyness is leaking into your other arguments. It's not 0.0001% because they decided to set it at 4%, and 0.0001% is way too low of a chance for a time limited event. 

And if they had decided that it would be 0.0001% you'll be saying exactly the same thing, "it's good enough". 4% is way too low of a chance for a time limited event that happens once to twice a year.

I finally got Angst's rare... after 27 TRIES ! For a mod that isn't even good ! This event is not fun, it's not even a game, it's a literal skinner box and nothing else.

Edit : I got Malice's rare. Finally. Guess the number of tries ? 27 as well. Seems to be a lucky number for me today, no clue why. Still a badly designed event that has no lore justification whatsoever and tomorrow it restarts again, but at least, I'm done for today.

Edited by Thelk641
  • Like 2

And if they had decided that it would be 0.0001% you'll be saying exactly the same thing, "it's good enough". 4% is way too low of a chance for a time limited event that happens once to twice a year.

I finally got Angst's rare... after 27 TRIES ! For a mod that isn't even good ! This event is not fun, it's not even a game, it's a literal skinner box and nothing else.

Actually if it was 0.0001% I would agree with you, but it is not. 

I still disagree, since they give everyone a week. Just think how invaluable those rare mods would become if they increased the chances. 

Just remember I tried all day on the 25th(Several hours + countless tries), and got nothing, but the next day I was rewarded. 😉

Hey you got the mod, nice! Well I think it's a decent mod, and it's awesome we get to participate in such a rare event! 

Just my opinion though 😉

So wait you're telling me that Angst and Malice will stay for an entire week ? If yes, then I take back most of my critics, I still thinking asking players do to 10+ hours of a farm in a single week is absurd but not as absurd as I thought. Thing is, as far as I see it, tomorrow they'll be gone for at least 6 month, probably more than that, and their mods with them.

Just now, Thelk641 said:

So wait you're telling me that Angst and Malice will stay for an entire week ? If yes, then I take back most of my critics, I still thinking asking players do to 10+ hours of a farm in a single week is absurd but not as absurd as I thought. Thing is, as far as I see it, tomorrow they'll be gone for at least 6 month, probably more than that, and their mods with them.

I did not say that, the acolytes themselves stay 3-4 days each. I think that is plenty of time to get at least one good drop. 

This is an MMORPG game. There is going to be grinding.

The acolyte event ends on February 1st. 

il y a 4 minutes, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru a dit :

All mods should be free.

That's not what I'm saying and you know it. There's a huge gap between corrupted mods, lua mods or nightmare mods and these ones, which isn't justified by anything.

@Gray : There is going to be grinding, yes. Well then I'm back to my absurd argument : why not make it 0.001% ? I mean, this is an MMORPG after all and compared to other MMORPG we don't even have to find 20+ people and go through an entire multi-hour raid to fight them so why give them away by making them so easy to acquire ?

Just now, Thelk641 said:

That's not what I'm saying and you know it. There's a huge gap between corrupted mods, lua mods or nightmare mods and these ones, which isn't justified by anything.

@Gray : There is going to be grinding, yes. Well then I'm back to my absurd argument : why not make it 0.001% ? I mean, this is an MMORPG after all and compared to other MMORPG we don't even have to find 20+ people and go through an entire multi-hour raid to fight them so why give them away by making them so easy to acquire ?

You are missing the point. It is simply set at a rare grindable percentage of 4%. No one would try if it was 0.001%. That is an absurd percentage, and DE knows that. Rare items, should be a bit of a challenge to acquire. 4% is fine if you ask me.

They aren't easy to acquire, but they are possible to obtain. If everything was easy then nothing would be fun.

Adios, I'm designing something

il y a une heure, GrayFrequency a dit :

No one would try if it was 0.001%

If we consider Warframe like any other MMO, I disagree. I've seen MR 8 fighting acolytes today and even people coming with frames of weapons level 10 or 15, doing barely any damage and getting chain-killed, safe to say, it's one-click away, 3 to 10min of waiting and you roll the dice.

I played WoW a long time ago, I remembered one mount I tried to get for a long time (but never could get sadly) and looked for it : 1% drop on the first boss of Karazhan, a lvl 68 to 70 10 players raid that required at least one player to have done a long quest chain to get the key (or to have someone being able to get through, but the intended way was the quest chain). I remember that I wasn't the only one farming Karazhan for that horse, even though he was just cosmetic and nothing else. And then there was Kael'Thas phoenix, a 1.7% drop on a lvl 70 25 players raid. Still, there were a lot of people farming this raid.

So based on the fact that this is a one-click try, would there be a lot of people actively farming for hours like I did ? No. Would there be a lot of people at least giving it 5 or 6 tries ? Yes, because that's clearly what the standard MMO player is used to doing. If this is supposed to be super rare, then I don't see how making it even rarer would be a bad thing.

19 minutes ago, Thelk641 said:

If we consider Warframe like any other MMO, I disagree. I've seen MR 8 fighting acolytes today and even people coming with frames of weapons level 10 or 15, doing barely any damage and getting chain-killed, safe to say, it's one-click away, 3 to 10min of waiting and you roll the dice.

I played WoW a long time ago, I remembered one mount I tried to get for a long time (but never could get sadly) and looked for it : 1% drop on the first boss of Karazhan, a lvl 68 to 70 10 players raid that required at least one player to have done a long quest chain to get the key (or to have someone being able to get through, but the intended way was the quest chain). I remember that I wasn't the only one farming Karazhan for that horse, even though he was just cosmetic and nothing else. And then there was Kael'Thas phoenix, a 1.7% drop on a lvl 70 25 players raid. Still, there were a lot of people farming this raid.

So based on the fact that this is a one-click try, would there be a lot of people actively farming for hours like I did ? No. Would there be a lot of people at least giving it 5 or 6 tries ? Yes, because that's clearly what the standard MMO player is used to doing. If this is supposed to be super rare, then I don't see how making it even rarer would be a bad thing.

I am ONLY talking about Warframe when considering the drop percentages.

Yeah I've played other MMORPGs too, like OSRS(still do), some Warcraft, etc. Each one is it's own game, and has it's reasons for their drop rates, which I think is fine. There are drops in OSRS that are 1/4,000+ chance of dropping. I've tried for many rare drops myself.

I've seen players die too. It just means they need to change their strategy(different weapon, level mastery, etc). I remember when I was at a lower level of mastery, and I would die. Then I realized I needed to increase my MR, and try out new weapons, new frames, do quests, and then I was able to defeat more enemies. Especially solo.

It's as rare as it should be. I don't see DE changing it, and I don't see a point in DE changing it. 

There are plenty of people grinding on end, and plenty who are not. It's just how you want to play. 

Edited by GrayFrequency

2 minutes ago, Thelk641 said:

And I still think they either need to be game-breaking level of good or way easier to get, because having bad mods being stupidly hard to acquire doesn't make any sense.

Agree, for me this is the big problem.  With the exception of maybe 4-5 all the mods are pretty trash and will just gather dust.  

I like the idea of having an event to get mods, personally I  don't like the mechanic of the acolyte apearing at random locations for only a few mins.  Puts you off doing anything else as you don't want to miss the next spawn.  Do a 20 min survival and you'll likely miss the next appearance.