Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anthem and what Warframe can learn from it

_Urakaze_

*goes on to Shy's twitch and everyone is talking trash about anthem since they have been playing it for the past week*

I guess I'll be happy with Warframe but it would be nice if raids were back.

Yes I know they were announced t obe coming back in some form but until that happens I am not holding my breath.

Oh and Raids need decent rewards. The prospect of getting Energize or Aegis was enough to make some people do JV over and over and it is the reason why eidolons are still being done all the time. Meanwhile Profit-taker is literally only done to get standing. there is no reason beyond that to do it and as such you see people on twitch have thigns like 4x3 5x3 or 6x3 in their description while not one does anything with profit taker.

2 hours ago, (PS4)bighugesumo-king said:

Looking back on this thread, how the hell we thought warframe could learn stuff from Anthem while its really the other way around. Judging from every review and streaming i watched Anthem did not learn a whole lot from warframe. Of course at launch a game as service will lack the depth of a older game like warframe but it literally has no waypoints, no chat, weapons all feel the same just with different stats, missions are all samey, story is thin. I almost feel sorry for thinking warframe could learn something from Anthem. I wish devs can improve the game before Ea pull the plug on em but warframe in my book remains the best looter shooter BY FAR.

Yeah. I've been watching some streams and it's absolutely depressing to see Bioware in this state.

I bet EA are already discussing whether they should be buried next to Visceral or Westwood. Or Bullfrog. Or Origin, Pandemic, Maxis...

47 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

Not all reviews were "bad".  There are many streamers that love the game. Anthem will have a select following much like Warframe does. And with the Anthem schedule this year there will be many updates to Anthem. Oh look Anthem actually will have dates for said releases...wink wink..where are the release dates for the actual content in WAITframe, New War? How bout Rail Jack?.....oh yeah soooon.tenor.gif ...#amiright.. LOL

The initial release schedule isnt something impressive yet. It all depends what they actually deliver and how needed those things could have been in the initial 1.0 release. Maybe those releases simply take it up to a 1.0 worthy level, much like Dest2 Forsaken did. Difference is that the Dest2 expansion did cost extra. I mean this isnt the first game to pull a "shell" or "husk" release in order to look generous shortly after.

18 minutes ago, --END--Rikutatis said:

What? Your description there is incredibly biased. Destiny 1 and Division 1 both actually improved quite a lot from their original launch state and had a really strong following, specially Destiny. What "killed" the Destiny franchise was actually Destiny 2, Destiny 1 was loved by a lot of people. In fact Warframe wasn't even on anyone's radar until Destiny shot themselves on the foot with that second game. 

Except that all you say is BS. Yes Destiny and Division improved, but I dont think your sense of strong following really gives a just view. Neither has near the following of WF, nor did either pick up players at such a rate that WF did. WF has lasted for soon 6 years with a very strong playerbase after the initial bumps were ironed out. The second part of your BS is the "In fact Warframe wasn't on anyone's radar until Destiny shot themselves on the foot with that second game." That is so very far from a fact that it isnt even funny. The whole PC playerbase very much had WF on their radar because Destiny was console crap only. Not until Dest2 did Bungie decide to go PC aswell. WF was also out 1 and ½ year prior to Destiny 1. WF also had roughly the same concurrent player numbers during 2017 and 2018, which is both before and after Dest2 released.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pr1A said:

Yeah. I've been watching some streams and it's absolutely depressing to see Bioware in this state.

I bet EA are already discussing whether they should be buried next to Visceral or Westwood. Or Bullfrog. Or Origin, Pandemic, Maxis...

In what state, though? I feel this is the best Bioware has been since EA bought them. Yeah they were better in the days of Baldur's Gate, because they were pretty much the best developers at the time. ME1 and Dragon Age: Origins were good. Everything after, not so much. Anthem is honestly the most fun I've had with a Bioware game since ME1, so I for one am glad to see them in this state. Maybe there's hope for them yet, if they keep improving.

8 minutes ago, rune_me said:

In what state, though? I feel this is the best Bioware has been since EA bought them. Yeah they were better in the days of Baldur's Gate, because they were pretty much the best developers at the time. ME1 and Dragon Age: Origins were good. Everything after, not so much. Anthem is honestly the most fun I've had with a Bioware game since ME1, so I for one am glad to see them in this state. Maybe there's hope for them yet, if they keep improving.

I completely agree. I find Anthem to be one of the most enjoyable games I have played in the last 5 years. I easily see myself exceeding the 3k hours I have in Warframe in the world Bioware has developed. Luckily Steve and the other devs constantly look at the industry to get ideas for Warframe and are not like those who claim Warframe is perfect as is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brucifer1 said:

I completely agree. I find Anthem to be one of the most enjoyable games I have played in the last 5 years. I easily see myself exceeding the 3k hours I have in Warframe in the world Bioware has developed. Luckily Steve and the other devs constantly look at the industry to get ideas for Warframe and are not like those who claim Warframe is perfect as is.

They really don't look at similar games in the industry, though. They're always pulling ideas out of left field, from games that aren't much like Warframe. Examples include Zone of the Enders, Rocket League, Breath of the Wild. They aren't drawing examples from games like Halo, Battlefront, or Anthem, games that are sci fi, feature gun and melee gameplay, and are shooters. I don't know why they don't look at games that are similar to Warframe. I wish they would. I wish they'd look at the industry just so that they could recognize the areas where Warframe lags behind, like graphics, sound design, animations, and open world design. If they looked at the industry, Warframe could be better. It doesn't have to try to copy their ideas, but it could see some of the technical areas where others games are doing well and where Warframe could improve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rune_me said:

I doubt it is a coincidence that I haven't loved a Bioware game since ME1 and DA:O which were the last two games they made before being bought out by EA. I guess to be fair, ME2 was okay, but I credit that to the few years of development they had before EA.

Edited by IntheCoconut

Games learning/copying from other games has been a tradition as old as gaming itself.  I’m sure DE will lift a number of things from anthem as will BioWare from Warframe.  It’ll be fun to see what squeaks in. I personally would love to see some traditional mmo dungeon style games with bosses that require a bit of strategy and not just bullet sponges.  

14 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

They really don't look at similar games in the industry, though. They're always pulling ideas out of left field, from games that aren't much like Warframe. Examples include Zone of the Enders, Rocket League, Breath of the Wild. They aren't drawing examples from games like Halo, Battlefront, or Anthem, games that are sci fi, feature gun and melee gameplay, and are shooters. I don't know why they don't look at games that are similar to Warframe. I wish they would. I wish they'd look at the industry just so that they could recognize the areas where Warframe lags behind, like graphics, sound design, animations, and open world design. If they looked at the industry, Warframe could be better. It doesn't have to try to copy their ideas, but it could see some of the technical areas where others games are doing well and where Warframe could improve.

Actually in an interview at the first Tenno con, Steve mentioned that Destiny has taken some things from Warframe and they have implemented some things from Destiny. He specifically mentioned that they are constantly looking at what other developers do well and assessing if they can be adapted to improve Warframe. Just as importantly, what problems other games have and how to avoid them. He didn't give specifics but I assume that type of analysis is still going on.

• Like 2

No matter what Warframe will keep evolving with more and more weird ideal.. Steve is like a mad scientist with ton of weird ideal. Anthem in the end will go through what Warframe had been go through for the past 6 years and come to end as a Grindfest. Just hope Warframe and Anthem can stand peaceful and humble together. Warframe is a weird unique world with ton of stuff we never seen before in game industry, DE had keep insert ton of unique and weird stuff that why i love Warframe world because u never know what will come next as for Anthem now i only can wish all best to it. 

4 minutes ago, Gnlstorm said:

No matter what Warframe will keep evolving with more and more weird ideal.. Steve is like a mad scientist with ton of weird ideal. Anthem in the end will go through what Warframe had been go through for the past 6 years and come to end as a Grindfest. Just hope Warframe and Anthem can stand peaceful and humble together. Warframe is a weird unique world with ton of stuff we never seen before in game industry, DE had keep insert ton of unique and weird stuff that why i love Warframe world because u never know what will come next as for Anthem now i only can wish all best to it. 

Of course they can exist together. People are just being way too tribal about this, thinking you can only play one game at a time, and that there can't possible be room for Destiny, Anthem, The Division and Warframe in the same world. Personally I'm tired of Warframe because I've done all the content in it and don't really feel like logging on just to rank up half a dozen more weapons. So Anthem comes at a great time, where I can shelve Warframe for a while and play some Anthem. But eventually I'll get tired of Anthem as well, and then I can come back to Warframe and try out all the new frames that's been released in the meantime or play the new story quest, or whatever. And then I'll tire of that and go back to Anthem, or play The Division, or something else. The more games we have to choose from and play, the better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

Of course they can exist together. People are just being way too tribal about this, thinking you can only play one game at a time, and that there can't possible be room for Destiny, Anthem, The Division and Warframe in the same world. Personally I'm tired of Warframe because I've done all the content in it and don't really feel like logging on just to rank up half a dozen more weapons. So Anthem comes at a great time, where I can shelve Warframe for a while and play some Anthem. But eventually I'll get tired of Anthem as well, and then I can come back to Warframe and try out all the new frames that's been released in the meantime or play the new story quest, or whatever. And then I'll tire of that and go back to Anthem, or play The Division, or something else. The more games we have to choose from and play, the better.

All i want peace between 2 game without compare because in the end people can play between Warframe and Anthem but for me i will still stay at Warframe because of Effort and ton of cash i spent on Warframe. Main reason of staying in Warframe is i want to follow Warframe pathway 100% without miss anything

4 hours ago, brucifer1 said:

Actually in an interview at the first Tenno con, Steve mentioned that Destiny has taken some things from Warframe and they have implemented some things from Destiny. He specifically mentioned that they are constantly looking at what other developers do well and assessing if they can be adapted to improve Warframe. Just as importantly, what problems other games have and how to avoid them. He didn't give specifics but I assume that type of analysis is still going on.

Yeah, I guess that's the one exception I forgot about. The way enemy spawning happens in PoE and Orb Vallis is based on Destiny and Destiny 2. And the Fallen and Scorn tech does look like Grineer tech. If they're making that kind of analysis regularly, then I wish they'd be smarter about it. I say that because part of the problem with PoE, Orb Vallis, and even Destiny, is that they're open world done wrong imo. Games like GRW, AC Origins, HZD, and Marvel's Spider-man are much better approaches to open world design than Destiny. As well, DE is drawing gameplay ideas from some other games, most of which haven't been related to Warframe's genre. And, they might look at gameplay ideas, but they don't seem to look at the visuals/graphics of other games.

What I would like DE to draw from the industry would be to look at the environment design/ambient atmosphere, game mode design (including infantry and space-based gameplay), gun play (how the player moves and shoots with guns), and animations of Battlefront 2, the flight model of Anthem (and, particularly, how the Javelins turn and control their speed), the melee functionality in For Honor, the open world design of GRW and AC Origins and the way exploration of the world occurs naturally through story progression, and the narrative storytelling and dialogue of Bioware games.

On 2019-01-29 at 8:02 AM, zNightWolfz said:

there is nothing in anthem that WF needs ...

played the demo and to be honest the game is what it is its nothing like WF so no need to compare it

Anthem far to long load times harder to get into a game the game crashes way to often...

its a different game to WF and in no way will it affect players on WF at all....

i play all sorts of online games and single player and still come back to WF in the end daily

ofc there is, anthem might not be the greatest game but it has some features where warframe lacks in. Dont be a fanboy and defend something blindly, we all want warframe to suceed we are not against warframe alright. for instence take warframes visuals. its very outdated, and the engain warframe is running on is really old too so that difenetly needs and uppgrade. that how should a open world game should feel like. we have peo and fortuna but they dont feel like a open area. it feels like a sandbox and another of those tilesets. it should be more imerssive like anthem. I am not saying or defending anthem idc how anthem is. I am talking about warframe, where fan boys are defedning it as if it is the perfect game without any flaw. every game has flaws where they should try to minimize it. Like I said I want warframe to suceed as much as u do. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Darknightsszz said:

ofc there is, anthem might not be the greatest game but it has some features where warframe lacks in. Dont be a fanboy and defend something blindly, we all want warframe to suceed we are not against warframe alright. for instence take warframes visuals. its very outdated, and the engain warframe is running on is really old too so that difenetly needs and uppgrade. that how should a open world game should feel like. we have peo and fortuna but they dont feel like a open area. it feels like a sandbox and another of those tilesets. it should be more imerssive like anthem.

Have you played Anthem.  I did, in the open demo.  Setting aside the fact that the "open area" was fenced off so that we couldn't explore... the "open world" in Anthem is a bunch of vaguely jungle-themed trenches.  You can't even fly up and over the walls that are everywhere.  (Probably to hide the fact that the engine is designed for console limitations and can't actually render the entire Freeplay map at once.)  It was a nightmare to navigate, because you can't set waypoints.  World events and other players didn't show up on your HUD, not even as a tick mark on the compass.  I died several times attempting to do world events.  After the second time, I had to just treat World Events like Arbitrations - if you die, you're done.  Because there was basically *zero* chance that I'd be able to find my way back to them before the event concluded or failed.

I'm also not sure what you're talking about when you say Warframe's visuals are dated.  But since that's just, like, your opinion man, I see no reason to argue with you about it.

4 hours ago, EmberStar said:

Setting aside the fact that the "open area" was fenced off so that we couldn't explore... the "open world" in Anthem is a bunch of vaguely jungle-themed trenches.

The open world and level design is infinitely better than in Warframe, though. Which isn't saying much, since Warframes "open worlds" (we've really stretched the definition of that term applying it to Warframe) are pretty much a case study in how not to do it and about as bad as it gets.

You can't even fly up and over the walls that are everywhere.

There's a max height you can fly to, then you'll get pushed down to "allowed" height. But other than that you can fly anywhere.

It was a nightmare to navigate, because you can't set waypoints.  World events and other players didn't show up on your HUD, not even as a tick mark on the compass.

You can always see exactly where other players in your session are in your HUD, even through walls or if they're half a map away.

Edited by rune_me

Anthem is definitely a flawed game, and is very shallow in terms of content. That being said, Anthem is actually fun to play until boredom sets in. That's because the movement is smooth and combat is engaging, unlike Warframe's get stuck on every corner and ledge movement and brain dead AI. It was refreshing to play something else that was similar to Warframe but more enjoyable because of the two points I just mentioned. (I also still get lost in certain dilapidated tile sets, which isn't fun)

The combo system is nice in Anthem until you realize the very limited amount of combos there are, shallow content again. It's basically synergy with two skills, and Warframe has that with select warframes, like Gara, but it's not blatantly labeled as in Anthem (although I need to use a chart to see which abilities are primers and which are detonators lol). I do wish all the Warframe abilities had more synergy/combo effects because it feels good to do them with increase impact on the enemy. 

Customization and fashion is usually the main source of monetization for a free to play game, and Warframe is technically free to play, so that's okay. Anthem is a $60 dollar game base price, unless you sneaky people buy EA premiere for $15 for a month access/early access. Microtransactions in a paid game is a no-no, at least it's not Ubisoft where they sell cheats in single player games (long ago cheat codes were free lol). But Warframe main revenue is from selling gear (weapons, frames, pets, prime access and prime vault packages), materials (forma, potatoes, and all the other materials in game), and slots (sold separately: weapons, frames, rivens, pets, sentials, archwings, archwings weapons). The list of cosmetic vs list of non-cosmetic items are insanely different amounts. In a looter game like Warframe, I wonder if people would deny buying gear is "winning." 

Anthem is definitely worth a play, if you don't mind a lot of loading screens, don't care about the terrible story, don't get upset with tons of bugs, and expect to experience most of the content in a short time. When Warframe was new, it was a troubled game, with many many flaws, but gotten better with time and constant updates. I the only thing Warframe doesn't do enough of is accept mistakes and roll back/remove aspects no one likes (remember having to pay plat for revives?)

There are definitely somethings both games could improve upon, and things both games do better than the other. My two cents.

There is at least one thing warframe could learn from anthem:

never, NEVER E-V-E-R market one cool move aspect that will get boring or common routine after a while if the rest of you have to offer is a mediocre, shallow mess. Think of what warframe would be for a new player if after having fun bullet jumping all over the place there was nothing to do and with a boring gameplay. Sure, warframe took years to become what it is now but DE never had the budget that was used for anthem. A few things to keep in mind is that once you get downed in anthem you have to Alt+F4 unless someone resurrect you, like, really? It's going to be patched but nobody but seriously??? Nobody thought of that? One of the most basic things a game should have and, in years of development, and was not implemented. After the downgrade in graphic, and thank goodness for that, considering how performance related lag is still an issue for some very respectable GPU can you even imagine how could it have been?

Players were promised a seamless world - NON. The world has loading screens and they seem to be very long.

No downgrade from what was shown in dev workshop. Again, didn't happen (and this is actually a good thing considering what i wrote above)

Personally I think that, after the demo, a failure was pretty much guaranteed. One thing is to see a video of a dev playing and another to lagfest in the demo with a game that, apart from fancy flight has very little to offer

Where is the hardcore Anthem love club at now? Yes I was sooooo wrong lol not! EA will never change sorry some have got their hopes up for no reason. I should just make a thread called "Warframe and what Anthem can learn from it" you know because EA could use some advice...

Edited by (XB1)Skiller115
  • Like 1