Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anthem and what Warframe can learn from it

_Urakaze_

3 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Funny thing is that there are plenty of complaints about Anthem's "open world". A game designed and marketed as being OW yet still kinda failing on that whole part by invisible walls/ceiling that restricts how you can traverse the "open world". Also, who in their right mind would compare the open world of an intended open world game with the open world zones of an otherwise instance/mission based game? The answer would be someone looking for straws.

I think DE have made a good choice with their open world zones. They are big enough to fit well into the game without being overwhelming or feeling too small.

Open world is open world. Just because a game is instance-based doesn't mean it's excusable for that game to have a shoddy open world. And that's what PoE and Orb Vallis are. They're open world done wrong. And no, Anthem's open world isn't perfect, but it's much more intriguing that Warframe's because of it's verticality and because it's designed for you to explore it, discover new locations, and find hidden secrets in the world through its story. Neither PoE nor Orb Vallis are designed with this in mind, because there are no secrets to uncover, there are no interesting locations that provide insight on the lore and history of these places. They're just designed for farming.

On 2019-01-29 at 7:33 AM, Olphalarepth said:

not let devs waste time and resources on something completely useless

They do it anyways. Look at those "ephemera" and "peculiar mods"....   

Personally I would love some animation polishing instead of this sht....Besides, Terrain adjustment for Legs is ingame already. Profit-taker uses it.

41 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

Personally I would love some animation polishing instead of this sht....Besides, Terrain adjustment for Legs is ingame already. Profit-taker uses it.

Personally I would love content and technical improvements, weapons, skins too if they are cool why not?

I'm not much into cosmetic stuff that doesn't actually add to the game. That of the PoE (path of exiles, not the eidolon) footsteps wasn't something I liked but I get the point. I still don't like the idea but I get it, cosmetics are necessary to sell. I don't know how viable custom animations are for each frame and I'm not counting the idle ones. We'll see with Wisp since she should be the first one with a custom running animation

11 minutes ago, Olphalarepth said:

Personally I would love content and technical improvements, weapons, skins too if they are cool why not?

I'm not much into cosmetic stuff that doesn't actually add to the game. That of the PoE (path of exiles, not the eidolon) footsteps wasn't something I liked but I get the point. I still don't like the idea but I get it, cosmetics are necessary to sell. I don't know how viable custom animations are for each frame and I'm not counting the idle ones. We'll see with Wisp since she should be the first one with a custom running animation

I just want those conclave skins but unfortunately Pvp is so extremely fast paced and brokenly annoying that it's just not worth it slugging it with the high gods of pvp even worse with some clowns with extreme egos that love to add insult to injury by berating you and teabagging your corspe for no other reason than to annoy you!

2 hours ago, Kainosh said:

Different teams do different things though. Very unlikely that the ephemera and peculiar mods people would handle the other stuff. Terrain adjustments for legs would be a cooperative project between the world designers, programmers aswell as riggers most likely.

8 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Different teams do different things though. Very unlikely that the ephemera and peculiar mods people would handle the other stuff. Terrain adjustments for legs would be a cooperative project between the world designers, programmers aswell as riggers most likely.

Getting Inverse Kinematics to work is apparently some really tricky rigging and programing.  You need to set really specific limits to the joints so that they don't do unexpected (and painful looking) things.  Without really strict limits, a basic IK setup doesn't see any difference between bending the leg "normally" and folding the knee backwards as the hips and ankles jut out sideways at a 60 degree angle.  Afterall, both result in the IK chain reaching the ground, and the backwards-and-sideways one is probably the optimal solution mathematically.  It's completely a human problem that they think it looks horrifically broken.

1. Combo system

admittedly this would be nice if only for a way to get people to branch out with there aura mods and stop being overly reliante on  CP 

2. Customization

we already have this. textures are just called skins in this case.

3. Movement animation

limbo and the two new war frames say hi.

On 2019-01-28 at 11:33 PM, Olphalarepth said:

1. We hardly need any more damage creep. Pay attention to the meta and see how NOTHING can stand against us

2. Meh, don't care

3. Hell no. I'd rather the game focus on it own identity and not let devs waste time and resources on something completely useless. Not very helpful, not marginally helpful, useless

EDIT: to be clear about point 1. It's better to revamp status effect all together instead of another flashy system copied from another game and adapted to wrframe.

Yeah this.

Anthem:  Let’s push a graphics engine to the limit and adopt some of the combat pacing that has made Warframe popular for almost a decade.

DE:  “HOLD.  My.  BEER.”

(Graphics/settings/animation overhauls followed by cutting-edge, game-changer/revolutionary  “Melee” 3.0 Dev workshop incoming...guns as well as blade).

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

51 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

id investigate new and info of google to clarify 

Alternatively, you could spend a whole two sentences to give people a summary of what you're referring to.  It's kind of hard to "just google it" when no one has the slightest clue what you are talking about or what to search for.  (And just to make the point, if you respond explaining why it's too much effort, you'll have spent three entire posts *not* just telling everyone what the heck you're talking about.  Instead of just one doing so.)

• Like 3

So I kind of went and did google it after seeing this reach 23 pages out of random curiosity.

Summarizing what I've read/watched in almost a dozen reviews since YouTube keeps recommending it to me ever since I clicked on Shy's review if it helps anyone... 

Some of this might be out of date but most\all should be for early Full Game release version (Feb. 15th), whatever that means.

Spoiler tagged for space:

Spoiler

'Flying looks and feels amazing.  The graphics are some of the best in the genre.  Has real potential for something in the future.'  Sums up the recurring good things I've heard and now for the recurring bad...

Lack of mission variety.  Basically there are only 3 recurring mission types in Anthem: Defense, Fetch, and Exterminate.

Lack of endgame content.  People say it's just running the 3 Strongholds over and over again forever, one of which is the last story mission.

Lack of weapon appearance customization.  Weapon appearance cannot be freely customized and almost/all sub-types of each entire weapon class use the same basic model from Normal -> Legendary grade quality.

Lackluster gunplay for a looter-shooter.  Weapons were seen to generally be lacking in appearance, sound, upgrades, and performance.  (Several said weapons are completely useless endgame relative to abilities.)

Story is shallow and weak, on top of being very short and linear.  Entire storyline is estimated to be 10~15h with 2~4h of that being an annoying quest that everyone hates, Bioware are patching it out though(?) for 'non-early' release.  'Falls far short of being a Bioware game' sums up what almost every reviewer I saw says about the story.

Lack of variety in the environment.  There is only one major play zone and in that there are only two main terrains (Forest and Cave), everything in them blend together to the point where everything looks the same.  The town and NPCs in it also feel dead and lifeless.

Lack of content period, pretty much every reviewer I've seen has repeatedly has said that the game in 'Full Game' state is very incomplete\content poor and two said that it even fails to even measure up to Destiny 1 at its own release.

Bad flow, lots of breaks in action.  If someone goes down they cannot do anything except wait for rescue (which may never come) or alt+f4, not even observe other party members; further compounded by having no way of letting people know they are downed.  Loading screen between every screen, sometimes several;  also if stuck in a loading screen for too long people get another loading screen to get warped over to the group after getting warped to them since they can continue the mission while the person was loading.  (Loads are up to a minute long even with SSD and top end PC apparently)

Lacking basic features of the genre like waypoints and ingame chat.

Pricing is unclear, its not clear if there will be a difference in price for Masterwork/Legendary skins in the shop and no way to tell until they show up due to them playing the artificial scarcity card.  Coins are also frontloaded so its easy to get the first 100~200k but then they dry up since gaining them outside of one-time achievements is difficult.

Failure to meet expectations/advertisements, in the past they've shown videos of 'gameplay' only for those characters/zones to be completely stripped down or non-existent in the final release.  Also this was supposed to be made by the legendary Bioware's 'A Team' not the Bioware that made ME:Andromeda.

Game is riddled with bugs still, some that were in the original VIP demo.  Though I've heard plenty of people saying that they have encountered no bugs too so maybe they are rarer now.

I'm personally surprised the reviews are so negative since EA was literally going as far as blacklisting people they thought would give them negative reviews in the run up to release.  Though this just means no free copy for the blacklisted it puts pressure on reviewers to give them a good review and implies they would also not also be above buying good reviews from people.

Basically the reviews I saw made it sound like Anthem could be just a couple steps short of Fallout 76'ing if they don't pick everything up fast.

3 minutes ago, rune_me said:

EA has made tons of good games, actually. Anthem is one of them. To be sure, they've made plenty of terrible games as well.

sports games bleh, generic FPS they release yearly. bleh, like i think the only games they had going for them were the mass effect and dragon age games. and mass effect is dead. anthem is boring and a mess.

Edited by hazerddex

Just now, hazerddex said:

sports games bleh, generic FPS they release yearly. bleh, like i think the only games they had going for them were the mass effect and dragon age games. and mass effect is dead. anthem is boring and a mess.

Only the first Dragon Age and the first Mass Effect is good. The rest are trash and would in fact be some of those terrible games I mentioned. Anthem is head and shoulders aboove Mass Effect 2 (never played the 3rd honestly, because the 2nd was so bad) and Dragon Age 2 & 3. Which isn't really saying much, though.

Titanfall and Apex Legends are great, though. Deadspace is great. I never played The Sims, but a lot of people do and seem really into it. I also never play sports game, but Fifa is by far one of the most successful game franchises ever made.

10 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Only the first Dragon Age and the first Mass Effect is good. The rest are trash and would in fact be some of those terrible games I mentioned. Anthem is head and shoulders aboove Mass Effect 2 (never played the 3rd honestly, because the 2nd was so bad) and Dragon Age 2 & 3. Which isn't really saying much, though.

Titanfall and Apex Legends are great, though. Deadspace is great. I never played The Sims, but a lot of people do and seem really into it. I also never play sports game, but Fifa is by far one of the most successful game franchises ever made.

Don't forget Crysis! Crysis was way ahead of it's time and fraking awesome I might add. I also got a lot of play out of Battlefield 3 and 4. And I still play Star Wars the Old Republic. Mirrors Edge was vary cool as well. Don't know what hazzerddx is talking bout. 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

4 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

Don't forget Crysis was way ahead of it's time and fraking awesome I might add. I also got a lot of play out of Battlefield 3 and 4. And I still play Star Wars the Old Republic. Mirrors Edge was vary cool as well. Don't know what hazzerddx is talking bout. 

Mirror's Edge were great. The second one not so much. It wasn't bad, just sort of meh.

8 hours ago, rune_me said:

You do get that it's possible to like two games, right? It's not a choice between Warframe and Anthem. I have them both. I can play both. Here's a shocking concept: I might even get Division 2 as well. Then I have 3 games to play.

3....Games?????

”OMGZ WHAT IZ HAPPENING!!!!”

*Running around on fire*

42 minutes ago, rune_me said:

mass effect 1 was without the story the worst one for me. having to spend hours driving around all day in a badly controlled slow as hell vehicle is bleh. and the fights were all repetitive. but to each there own.

never played titan fall because i stopped buying ea games by that point.

i enjoyed mass effect 2 the mst story and gameplay wise. and mass effect 3 strictly game play wise.

only can speak for inquisition and that one was enjoyable.

dead space 1 and 2 were good, buuut.  again that was because of the dev team not ea.

you  know the dev team EA killed.

Apex legends generic battle royal esports money grab. 

the sims was boring for me. spore had some good stuff in i sadly ea greed ruined a lot of its potential.