Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why people want more Umbra?

JackHargreav

il y a 8 minutes, BL4CKN0ISE a dit :

You said upgrade, but Excalibur Umbra is also "different" from a gameplay perspective. You didn't mention that. Excalibur Prime is just an upgrade to Excalibur. Excalibur Umbra behaves in a different way which lets us know that DE is comfortable being more creative with Umbral frames.

No. Not really. Umbra Excal plays the exact same way. Just because umbra has that little extra against Sentients that doesn't mean he "behaves differently". (and remaking a frame is hardly anything creative.)

I honestly see each Umbra Variant as an opportunity for more Lore.

We witnessed the horror of a Dax that became Excalibur Umbra...

What about the other Warframes? Ballas did say "We took our Best and Brightest, Volunteers or not.." Maybe some DID volunteer. I'd be interested to see the genesis of a few warframes, such as Mirage, Mesa, Loki, and Limbo

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

No. Not really. Umbra Excal plays the exact same way. Just because umbra has that little extra against Sentients that doesn't mean he "behaves differently". (and remaking a frame is hardly anything creative.)

Yes. Yes really. What does Excal do when you're in operator mode? This isn't a debate. DE made Excal Umbra "different". Unless you think other frames have their own agenda when you're in operator mode. Just pay attention next time. Other frames just stand there and do nothing. Have you actually used Excalibur Umbra yet?

Anyways, it shows DE is down to try different things with Umbral frames. I'm always interested in frames with different mechanics. If you haven't played him yet, watch this video. Skip to 7:11 to see what I mean.

• Like 1

...Because Excalibur Umbra’s wikia page has said that he is the first frame of the Umbra “series” and it’s been saying this for the last three years up until his global release. I’d expect information that’s been upheld this long to stand true at least in some degree. 

DE isn’t obliged to put out more Umbra’s, but speculation/theories of more frames have been postulated by many over time that it’s almost “destined” for there to be more. 

Edited by (XB1)A Excal Umbra
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

Oh yeah. Radial Howl I didn't even mention. Basically one more thing that I'm also against is warframes getting changed abilities. Since Radial Howl makes the Sentients' damage adaptation to reset. There is a huge possibility that ppl would want every umbra frame to have a similar mechanic. And that would make the primes even more useless.

Or they could use Umbra frames to make a twist on the classic frame? So for example give "Umbra" Mag Push instead of Pull. Make "Umbra" frames a side grade to Primes.

A bit of creativity can go a long way, think about how something can be implemented beyond the basic obvious before you write it off. The amount of people in this thread that just dismiss more Umbras as "people just want more shiny and more OP" are just making themselves look ignorant (I know some meant it as a joke). 

Edited by DrBorris
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

Or they could use Umbra frames to make a twist on the classic frame? So for example give "Umbra" Mag Push instead of Pull. Make "Umbra" frames a side grade to Primes.

A bit of creativity can go a long way, think about how something can be implemented beyond the basic obvious before you write it off. The amount of people in this thread that just dismiss more Umbras as "people just want more shiny and more OP" are just making themselves look ignorant (I know some meant it as a joke). 

This is my thinking. It's not about them being more OP. I definitely think Excal Umbra is more of a side grade. He's just different in certain ways. I'm just more interested in Umbras because DE has already shown they're okay with changing aspects that are normally left unchanged with Primes. That's just an interesting place for Umbras IMO. Basically they have a lot of potential IMO.

Edited by BL4CKN0ISE
  • Like 1

il y a une heure, BL4CKN0ISE a dit :

Yes. Yes really. What does Excal do when you're in operator mode? This isn't a debate. DE made Excal Umbra "different". Unless you think other frames have their own agenda when you're in operator mode. Just pay attention next time. Other frames just stand there and do nothing. Have you actually used Excalibur Umbra yet?

Anyways, it shows DE is down to try different things with Umbral frames. I'm always interested in frames with different mechanics. If you haven't played him yet, watch this video. Skip to 7:11 to see what I mean.

So you showed me nothing. Since I already knew all of this. And as he said he's a terrible fighter. (Which I'm aware of also.) Not only that but you are forced back into him if he gets too damaged. (Which will happen) So basically you get totally useless mechanic that makes you weaker.

1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

So you showed me nothing. Since I already knew all of this. And as he said he's a terrible fighter. (Which I'm aware of also.) Not only that but you are forced back into him if he gets too damaged. (Which will happen) So basically you get totally useless mechanic that makes you weaker.

I showed a video and told you the differences. You even mentioned some differences. I didn't say I like the differences. I personally don't like my Excal running around when I'm in operator mode, but that's not the point. The point is Excalibur Umbra is mechanically different from the normal and Primed version. You don't need to like the differences, but it doesn't change the fact that some people literally have unique builds specifically based on the differences.

All I'm saying is that means DE is willing to change other aspects other than basic stat buffs and that allows for more creative builds. I don't understand why it's hard for some players to see the potential in that, but to each their own. If DE makes more Umbras and they all have the exact same differences when compared to other versions of the same frame, I'm right with you. I just don't think DE will do the same thing for every Umbral frame if they release more. That's all. 

Edited by BL4CKN0ISE
  • Like 3

For me, the reason is pretty simple: I don't like Excalibur at all, and I want to be able to play with Umbra's activeness while in Operator mode in a frame I like. Give me Valkyr Umbra, Nidus Umbra, or one of several others and I'll be happy. But as it stands, Excal Umbra is just a frame I'm not allowed to sell.

10 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

And also we have primes. Is that not enough of an upgrade?

For me the issue is lore

Primes don't give us lore, especially now that DE discontinued the Prime Access trailers

But Umbras, Umbras are essential to quests, Umbras are part of the story. Umbras give us new lore

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

For me the issue is lore

Primes don't give us lore, especially now that DE discontinued the Prime Access trailers

But Umbras, Umbras are essential to quests, Umbras are part of the story. Umbras give us new lore

They haven't actually. They just got put on the backburner while Fortuna was being worked on.

Just now, TARINunit9 said:

Sauce?

One of the previous Devstreams(I can't remember which one specifically). It was mentioned that they were being worked on, with Hydroid Prime's being described as "Needing someone to write some line for Ballas to say"(although, Steve did say this was an oversimplification).

Just now, Kerberos-3 said:

One of the previous Devstreams(I can't remember which one specifically). It was mentioned that they were being worked on, with Hydroid Prime's being described as "Needing someone to write some line for Ballas to say"(although, Steve did say this was an oversimplification).

I seem to remember that line from Steve too... like a year ago, when they were doing crunch time for Cetus, not Fortuna

3 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

I seem to remember that line from Steve too... like a year ago, when they were doing crunch time for Cetus, not Fortuna

I remember hearing it more recently. December or November perhaps. I think Sheldon was the one that mentioned Hydroid Prime's trailer being nearly done.

EDIT: It was Devstream 121, in fact. And it was Geoff, not Sheldon.

Edited by Kerberos-3

On one hand, Umbra being the only one of his kind gives him more significance and I’d hate for the time, effort, and money I dumped into my Primes to be put ultimately to waste.

On the other, I’d love for Frost Prime to get a visual revamp, but since that doesn’t seem to be on the table I’d settle for a neat looking Umbra variant instead.

Edited by OmegaZero633

7 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

There's nothing special about Umbra anyway.... he's just another Excalibur that you have to start the Endo Grind all over again for.... I wish I never did that quest. 

But, there is? He isn't a useless statue when in Operator form and his 2 removes Sentient resistances.

6 minutes ago, Kerberos-3 said:

But, there is? He isn't a useless statue when in Operator form and his 2 removes Sentient resistances.

What good is that if he dies just as fast as Regular Excalibur and you have to kill Sentients anyway to get the Frame in the first place.... alot of them infact. So if you can get him you literally just proved you never needed him in the first place.

And seriously who wants to start the Endo Grind all over again for Umbra Mods ? Especially if they're only good for Umbra. 

Edited by Lutesque

3 hours ago, Lutesque said:

And seriously who wants to start the Endo Grind all over again for Umbra Mods ? Especially if they're only good for Umbra. 

A lot of high MR-s do, some having more endo than they can spend.

DE gave this small upgrade which might mean they don't ignore long time players completely.