Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controversial idea here, hear me out

(XBOX)xJdKxZomBiE

I know we have all been hoping for melee rework and changing around stances and combos,

but then I was talking to my clan leader while we were farming kuva, and we had an epiphany....

What if warframes themselves had innate melee stances?  Some big heavy frames like Atlas and Rhino could have a fighting style that emphasized slower but powerful feeling attacks that played into their mass, because it seems comical that as huge as these two are, that they can zip around like ballerinas on meth.

How would we work something like this across the frames we have? Of the thousands of fighting stances available to learn in the real world, I'm sure we could never hope to run out of ideas for the game.  and that could help set a frame apart from another frame that has similar abilities.

I guess some examples could be used here,  Oberon for example, is our only Paladin type frame in existence right?  Why not a fighting style or stance that focuses on mace usage and shield so people use Ack and Brunt and silva\Aegis (prime or not)  and maybe make a combo of his that includes a exceptionally powerful blow that briefly fortifies health for Oberon and nearby allies?

Let's say Valkyr and Garuda could both specialize in claw type weapons, seeing as we have Venka and Ripkas.  surely there are multiple fighting styles in the world that revolve around bladed weapons as such that would be used.

Our high speed frames, like volt, could maybe specialize in one handed swords like the Rapiers where speed is absolute and strikes are not as powerful as they are legion.

Obviously you could use any weapon on any frame and be successful, but say each frame has a select weapon type that they specialize in with their stance, and as such have special attack combos with have an effect based off of that frames ability.  Ember's weapon attacks could focus on Heat weapons and that they do more damage with Ember than they do with anyone else.  Frost would get Cold.  Saryn/Toxin, Volt Electric..etc etc.

Space Ninja-ing would feel a lot cooler if the frames were different in ways other than ability and looks.  I like to use Khora lately because that damn cat is so good at stripping armor and doesn't perma die like my Smeeta Stank-Ass does.  We need a frame with a Kubrow too come to think of it.

• Like 2

I would say no. One of things that brings charm to WF for me is how I can mix and match builds without limits. 

And it is quite a unique feature since in most of other games you have standard slow tanks, fast DPS, supports sitting somwhere in the middle. While in WF you can do whatever you want. You don't have to be this generic slow, big sworded tank with if you don't want to. Freedom of building however you want should not be taken away imo.

Edited by spyroxion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

Guess you guys missed the part where I said any frame could use any weapon and still be successful bit.

But I get it, everyone wants to be super saiyan strong and fast for every single frame and weapon.  That's boring and lazy.

Surprise, that's also your opinion.

• Like 3

That sounds very limiting. Like, basically, if my frame has a stance I don't like, then I'm basically either forced to change to a frame I may not like, or handicap myself by not using melee. So, no thank you. I prefer to dictate my own gameplay style, rather than have it enforced on me.

1 hour ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

Guess you guys missed the part where I said any frame could use any weapon and still be successful bit.

Except for a small problem: Balance.

Because guess what?  The unique stances and abilities with each weapon will fall into one of three categories:
A) Its on a bad melee class, so no one uses it.  For example if a frame had special stances for daggers, that would go completely unused due to how poorly most daggers perform in most situations and their short range.
B) Its not as good as <insert meta stance> so no one uses it.  Such as trying to compete against crimson dervish on single swords.
C) Its too good so using anything else is effectively gimping yourself by not choosing the "right" weapon on that frame

Take for instance single blades, under-used but proves a point, tell me: What possible "warframe melee stance" could compete with Crimson Dervish which has the first 3 hits of any of its combos at +200% damage.  How could a frames melee stance compete against a such a large damage buff?
And if a frame had an innate melee stance that could compete against that for single swords...why would I ever use anything else unless I want to gimp myself?

All your idea has is the potential to severely limit melee choices, after all if a frame has a very powerful stance for a given weapon type then by not using that weapon type with that frame I'm just hurting myself.  It pretty much forces people into using that one specific weapon class.

1 hour ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

Instead of the crap we have now, where we all different swords, but everybody uses the same damn stance for it.

And your idea wouldn't change much unless the effects were balance-breaking which means that instead of seeing just one stance you would see one warframe that has the good stance using that weapon and that's it.  Why bother using that weapon when you know that your frame simply can't use it as well as another?  Instead just switch to that other frame.

EDIT:
One last problem with your idea: Why would anyone give up the extra capacity points that stances provide to use the innate melee that the frame has?  That would make the idea a non-starter for the vast majority of players.

Edited by Tsukinoki
  • Like 2

sounds interesting at first, but the current system give us choice of what stance we want. Sure, your idea give more identity to the frames like rhino, being a heavy frame should have a heavy attack movement, but it would be very limiting to player choice.

The diversity problem from your idea can be solved though. Frames can have more than 1 stance (2 or 3 perhaps) for each weapon. Problem is, that is a LOT of variety, so DE has to animate a lot of stances making it taking too much work. Not to mention players also might not like it. Like if they use rhino, they are locked to rhino's stances and cant branch out to ash's stances. It's a lot of cost for little to no benefit.

Edited by kingvaldemir
  • Like 2

If the issue is "everyone uses one stance because all the others are bad" then those bad ones should be fixed, don't make more good ones to hide everything else under the rug.

If the issue is "Rhino should be slow and I don't like how he's not slow" then you can focus on style yourself, take off attack speed mods and find weapons and stances that fit better.

I would be more interested in frames getting certain buffs when using specific melee weapon types, based on the concept of the frame. For example, maybe really powerful and tanky frames like Rhino and Chroma would get a melee attack speed buff when using a heavy blade or hammer. It would make sense that they could swing a heavier melee weapon faster than weaker frames, right? Or maybe Nekros would get some type of buff when using scythes. You get what I'm saying. I'm just talking about thematic buffs that wouldn't change too much. 

Edited by BL4CKN0ISE
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, BL4CKN0ISE said:

I would be more interested in frames getting certain buffs when using specific melee weapon types, based on the concept of the frame. For example, maybe really powerful and tanky frames like Rhino and Chroma would get a melee attack speed buff when using a heavy blade or hammer. It would make sense that they could swing a heavier melee weapon faster than weaker frames, right? Or maybe Nekros would get some type of buff when using scythes. You get what I'm saying. I'm just talking about thematic buffs that wouldn't change too much. 

That's kinda what I am getting at.  The frames innate stances wouldn't affect a weapons stance if equipped but changing stances to not give an assload of extra capacity and instead simply flat buff capacity for all melee weapons to counter, it would give each warframe a unique fighting style.

You'd expect big frames like Atlas, Chroma, and Rhino to excel in using heavy weapons and as such get a special buff to those weapons.  Some frames could be really good with Staves.  Others with swords.  Hell, why not have one or two that changes daggers up in a way that they may suck for everybody else, but this frame right here uses daggers like a damn champion, say one of the stealth frames, like Ivara, or Ash with his ult?  These frames could give a frame specific buff to dagger finishers because they both have abilities that open enemies up to insta-kill finishers, but the higher the enemy level, the less chance it is for instant kill, and just a good damage hit, their buff to daggers would change that for them as that is their specialty.

Like why wouldn't our Paladin want to use a shield and weapon combo?  Paladins used swords and shields.  Make it a Oberon passive for that weapon type so that actively blocks or parrying gives off a small healing pulse to compliment his 3rd ability.

Everybody else here is under the impression I want to make it so you can only use some weapons on some frames, you can still use them all, and if you wanted to equip a stance, go ahead and knock yourself out, but with the removal of stances giving capacity increase, there's really no point to use 99% of stances outside of astral twilight and crimson dervish  Outright buffing/increasing melee weapons capacity to make up for removing the increase from stances would hopefully make it easier to try other stances on weapons, but then whats the point.  Everybody wants the Meta.  Only the Meta.  If it doesn't clear level 6000 enemies in less than a swing it's trash and doesn't deserve anything other than mastery rank fodder status.  The idea was that with frame specific stances and fighting styles maybe it would change up the meta, or even give fashion frame players a unique way of swing their weapons, or even opening up new builds to support a frames abilities by using the frames preferred weapon and specific frame stance.

But guess that's not what people want.   Heaven forbid someone want something different than wow a new frame!  Same old weapon....same old stance...same old mods...same old same old...

thanks, but no thanks. I get what you're saying, but there's a few flaws here:

6 hours ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

Some big heavy frames like Atlas and Rhino could have a fighting style that emphasized slower but powerful feeling attacks that played into their mass, because it seems comical that as huge as these two are, that they can zip around like ballerinas on meth.

of course they can, they should: the users of the larger frames have received the same training and while there might be a difference in weight, space magic probably negates it. Warframe is meant to be played at a fast pace regardless of what frame you choose, so limiting mobility or stances based on size would go against this.

Oberon for example, is our only Paladin type frame in existence right?  Why not a fighting style or stance that focuses on mace usage and shield so people use Ack and Brunt and silva\Aegis (prime or not)  and maybe make a combo of his that includes a exceptionally powerful blow that briefly fortifies health for Oberon and nearby allies?

yeah, that wouldn't get spammed to death, like at all. Oberon already has one of the best healing abilities in the game anyway, so this wouldn't even be necessary. Sword & Board is already a strong weapon class thanks to Final Harbinger and the higher damage reduction for blocking.

Let's say Valkyr and Garuda could both specialize in claw type weapons, seeing as we have Venka and Ripkas.  surely there are multiple fighting styles in the world that revolve around bladed weapons as such that would be used.

they already do: Valkyr's Claws are an Exalted weapon, which has it's own stance. Garuda's Claws can substitute a Melee weapon if you don't have one equipped, and uses regular Claw Stances; both are already highly effective.

Our high speed frames, like volt, could maybe specialize in one handed swords like the Rapiers where speed is absolute and strikes are not as powerful as they are legion.

then Volt would be treading on Excalibur, and Volt isn't really a Sword frame: he can just use a Sword equally as good, if he needs to, because he's had the same training.

55 minutes ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

Like why wouldn't our Paladin want to use a shield and weapon combo? 

i dunno.. choice? if i want to use a Dagger on my Rhino, or a Heavy Blade on my Nezha, why shouldn't I? I own the frames, I own the weapons, I can have them both equipped simultaneously. as other have said, this would be implemented poorly no matter what: no one will care if the buffs are negligible, and too many people will care if these stances became the new meta. there isn't really much of a grey area, outside of what we already have: any weapon combined with any frame.

55 minutes ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

Heaven forbid someone want something different than wow a new frame!  Same old weapon....same old stance...same old mods...same old same old...

saying stuff like this just because people don't agree with you is not going to get you anywhere. it's not so much "same old, it's more a case of "if it ain't broke", which it technically is right now because DE are giving us Melee 3.0, but then it will be fine (hopefully).

Edited by (PS4)robotwars7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, (XB1)xJdKxZomBiE said:

But guess that's not what people want.   Heaven forbid someone want something different than wow a new frame!  Same old weapon....same old stance...same old mods...same old same old...

People want new weapons, new stances, new mods, etc.

Just let them use them how they want. Why make a new stance for Atlas when they can make a new stance for everyone? Seriously, what harm is there in letting everyone use everything without penalties?

Oh yeah, and either the buffs are irrelevant and nobody cares, or they're OP and people stick to whatever the frame is best with because it's even more powercreep. It's a bad idea that doesn't add anything good(new stances and stuff are good, but the way you want them added isn't).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PurrrningBoop said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Clickbaited

Reveal hidden contents

On topic ->

Reveal hidden contents

I'd rather not be limited in my weapon choice

you putting spoilers in spoilers in spoilers is as terrible as clickbait titles