Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

“Breath Weapon”...A Chroma “Spectral Scream” rework/Augment

(PSN)Silverback73

Easy to implement and useful throughout the game:

Chroma breaths “fire” onto the ground in front of him and walks through it, igniting both himself and his Melee.

The slow animation is removed.

Enemies Who Strike Chroma have a % chance equal to a maxxed Retribution Mod of activating the appropriate status effect with damage.

Melee receives the appropriate elemental buff in damage. 

Tweak as necessary.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73
  • Like 1

Well from my point of view  would I rather remove the ability and exchange it for elemental cycling. This is mostly becasue if it doesnt provide more dmg then other weapons or anything special, it wont be used by most of the playerbase. Also Chroma doesnt need more dmg buff, utility debuffs and cc is what he needs.

3 hours ago, BlachWolf said:

Well from my point of view  would I rather remove the ability and exchange it for elemental cycling. This is mostly becasue if it doesnt provide more dmg then other weapons or anything special, it wont be used by most of the playerbase. Also Chroma doesnt need more dmg buff, utility debuffs and cc is what he needs.

I would make it to a single fired elemental projectile( like his augment is at the moment) with the ability to swap elements

2 minutes ago, Dark_Chroma_Prime said:

I would make it to a single fired elemental projectile( like his augment is at the moment) with the ability to swap elements

Ohh okok, I myself had the same idea, though with mine enemies hit by the blast would get a debuff in form of higher chance of getting a status proc from projectiles / melee attack, the added status chance would be a flat +5% which scales with powerstregth. It would work with the cycling, holding the ability would fire the projectile and using it normally would cycle through his four elements.

1 minute ago, BlachWolf said:

Ohh okok, I myself had the same idea, though with mine enemies hit by the blast would get a debuff in form of higher chance of getting a status proc from projectiles / melee attack, the added status chance would be a flat +5% which scales with powerstregth. It would work with the cycling, holding the ability would fire the projectile and using it normally would cycle through his four elements.

I would say hitting with the projectile just procs the element. A fitting augment is to shooting it at you allies to give them an elemental buff(Oberon has a similar with radiation)

1 minute ago, Dark_Chroma_Prime said:

I would say hitting with the projectile just procs the element. A fitting augment is to shooting it at you allies to give them an elemental buff(Oberon has a similar with radiation)

Ok if the buff is bound to an augment mod its ok, though I wouldnt put it higher then 50% (which scales with power strength). Also what do you think about the debuff idea?

2 minutes ago, BlachWolf said:

Ok if the buff is bound to an augment mod its ok, though I wouldnt put it higher then 50% (which scales with power strength). Also what do you think about the debuff idea?

Since it is only a first ability it's a bit to much. 

The first ability of the most Frames shows the theme of it or how to categorize it. In Chroma's case it is his mastery of the fundamental elements.

5 hours ago, Dark_Chroma_Prime said:

Since it is only a first ability it's a bit to much. 

The first ability of the most Frames shows the theme of it or how to categorize it. In Chroma's case it is his mastery of the fundamental elements.

Depending on the frame, 1st powers are incredibly versatile and useful throughout the game and some get zero use.

Gone are the days of Warframe powers being a “coming of age” game mechanic.

Lesser, throw-away skill-tree type progression still works with certain weapons...but not Warframes.

The New Paradigm is Synergy.

Chroma’s plodding gate with his current “1” hamstrings him, almost literally, with the speed, range, power, and pacing of the current Warframe build.

Could it be tweaked so as not to be overpowering?  I said as much.

But my version of Spectral Scream scales in an interdependent way with Mod Maturity and Melee Weapon Maturity within the game.

A newer player isn’t going to be Overpowered adding my version to a Skana.

Look at Volt’s 1.  It’s a one-handed action (continuous, stealth reload) that stuns, electrifies his 3 (Shield) for added benefits and is nearly hitscan with LoS range.  

I can accept it if DE says they simply don’t have the time and resources to revisit Chroma, but please don’t tell me his 1 is effective or relevant in the current build beyond being flashy, indulgent animation at this point for anything but the beginner.

Thanks for responding!

6 hours ago, BlachWolf said:

I’m open to any and all ideas. A debuff also is a nice way to make it relevant within his kit.

You could single out tougher enemies and increase damage via Chroma’s other abilities.

I just had the idea that a dragon warrior would breath his elemental attack on himself and his Melee to make him/her a terror in combat. 😀

These aren’t really effects that make sense for what Spectral Scream is. These are effects you put on a timer ability, not on a channeled attack. 

The changes it should receive are the changes that would make it more useful for AoE damage/CC. He’s already pretty much purely a timer management weapon buffer, so what he doesn’t really need is more timer management and weapon buffing. 

21 hours ago, BlachWolf said:

Well from my point of view  would I rather remove the ability and exchange it for elemental cycling.

The problem with that is that you end up with an ability that has zero effect or impact on its own. It’s also just not a particularly interesting idea on Chroma, because then you’re only picking which duration based self buff you’re using, since the elements don’t meaningfully change how Chroma is played at all. 

Reworking each of the elements to have a unique, distinctive identity would be better than element swapping. 

8 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

These aren’t really effects that make sense for what Spectral Scream is. These are effects you put on a timer ability, not on a channeled attack. 

The changes it should receive are the changes that would make it more useful for AoE damage/CC. He’s already pretty much purely a timer management weapon buffer, so what he doesn’t really need is more timer management and weapon buffing. 

I completely disagree.  Everyone uses him as an Eidelon/Boss Super Sniper for the most part.  Hardly Dragonesque.

If you stay true to his theme throughout, with a twist on Melee per my suggestion, it incentivizes “Melee vs Mob” style play that works with his other 3 powers.

You can have a single, dominant theme with Synergy when it broadens combat styles.

I say it makes for a more powerful dragon.