Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chat Moderation Changes and Additions Report!

[DE]Rebecca

For context, check out our thread from a month ago:

Greetings Tenno,

Back in December, we started implementing several new processes to make our Chat Moderation Program more robust. We have gone through several stages of this process, and we are finally at a point where we have been able to monitor these changes and see the effect. On the whole, we have been pleased with the changes made and want to give you a brief rundown on what is different and the kind of activity we see.

On December 5th:
We changed kick and ban notices to System Messages, making them more visible.
We improved our logging of Moderation Actions.
We added internal staff members to overlook Chat Moderation and provide resources to maintain the program.

On December 18th:
We restructured our Volunteer webpage (https://www.warframe.com/community/volunteers) with information about Chat Moderation, and a Chat Moderator Code of Conduct, along with a way of reporting issues with Chat Moderation should you feel it is in error.
We hired a professional team of external Chat Moderators, and trained them to adhere to the Code of Conduct, helping maintain a constant presence.
We have been watching and reviewing Chat Moderator actions in conjunction with support, and giving guidance, training and warnings when appropriate. This part of the process is ongoing and will continue with the program.

As of today, we have reviewed the last month to see how moderation has changed, as well as taking a much closer look at some of the common bans, the actions of our Moderation Team as of the program change and the results of actions occurring. While we abide by policy and will not release names of offenders or players, we wanted to give you a snapshot of how moderation tasks are broken up between the various systems.

Right now, moderation has looked like this (all actions on all platforms combined):
82% of moderation action came from Kickbot
17% from volunteers and hired staff

After review, we are seeing a lot of the same actionable reasons. While it is against policy to give you named examples, much of our manual kicks and bans (actioned on by volunteers and staff), are the result of users trying to circumvent KickBot by using reordered or changed characters in an effort to evade the filter, and the rest of the kicks and bans are for inappropriate topics, threats to other users, volunteers or staff, or continued use of inappropriate channels to advertise, trade or recruit.

Our professional team is able to provide weekly snapshots into bigger picture moderation needs:

moderationexample.jpg

In summary, the changes we have added to the system have had an effect that we find to be positive and functional. When mistakes are made (usually from simple, human error), they are corrected and reverted. In all, the changes to the program have put it in a place that we are happy with, and we are seeing a much more structured response to the various issues that can arise with in-game chat. And of course, based on that screen shot, you can see why we need to Moderate chat in the first place and what type of stuff we're focusing on.

Thanks but region chat will remain disabled for me and I will continue to stay away from guides of the lotus, and chat moderators alike. There was clear evidence of double standards among members of both of these groups and nothing was ever said about it by any DE staff and it was never publicly addressed or condemned.

4 minutes ago, notbydesign said:

It seems you're unfamiliar with the concept of "context."

Me? No, the bot however? Yea, theres no such thing as context. It will ban you no matter what if you dare combine a frame and the word trap in a sentence.

1 minute ago, Shadow-Spawn said:

Freedom of speech is much more important than this kind of chat moderation.

And with freedom of speech, comes a sense of responsibility to be mindful of what you say, even if it is intended to be humorous 

5 minutes ago, Shadow-Spawn said:

Freedom of speech does not grant freedom from punishment. You are accountable for what you say or type. If you cannot communicate on DE platforms within the guidelines or code of conduct, you will be punished.

Just now, Voltage said:

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from punishment. You are accountable for what you say or type. If you cannot communicate on DE platforms within the guidelines or code of conduct, you will be punished.

think he is talking about the abuse that went on not too long ago by some of the "Chat Mods".

3 minutes ago, Stoner said:

Me? No, the bot however? Yea, theres no such thing as context. It will ban you no matter what if you dare combine a frame and the word trap in a sentence.

2 minutes ago, BeardBlade said:

The bot would ban indiscriminately regardless of "context."

Maybe you people use the word trap too much or perhaps making assumptions because I can think of two or three occasions where I've said it in a non-offensive context, even had people in chat say "inb4" etc, and I've not been booted. I'm sure it happens but how often do you honestly say "i'm setting a trap"??

8 minutes ago, Shadow-Spawn said:

Uhg.

Freedom of Speech definitions vary from nation to nation, plus, DE isn't a Governmental agency.  They have provided the platform as part of their business, they are capable of moderating the chat as they see fit, within the confines of their nations laws.

Please take the time to reread your nations Freedom of Speech before trying to use it as a platform to preach from. 

28 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

For context, check out our thread from a month ago:

Greetings Tenno,

Back in December, we started implementing several new processes to make our Chat Moderation Program more robust. We have gone through several stages of this process, and we are finally at a point where we have been able to monitor these changes and see the effect. On the whole, we have been pleased with the changes made and want to give you a brief rundown on what is different and the kind of activity we see.

On December 5th:
We changed kick and ban notices to System Messages, making them more visible.
We improved our logging of Moderation Actions.
We added internal staff members to overlook Chat Moderation and provide resources to maintain the program.

On December 18th:
We restructured our Volunteer webpage (https://www.warframe.com/community/volunteers) with information about Chat Moderation, and a Chat Moderator Code of Conduct, along with a way of reporting issues with Chat Moderation should you feel it is in error.
We hired a professional team of external Chat Moderators, and trained them to adhere to the Code of Conduct, helping maintain a constant presence.
We have been watching and reviewing Chat Moderator actions in conjunction with support, and giving guidance, training and warnings when appropriate. This part of the process is ongoing and will continue with the program.

As of today, we have reviewed the last month to see how moderation has changed, as well as taking a much closer look at some of the common bans, the actions of our Moderation Team as of the program change and the results of actions occurring. While we abide by policy and will not release names of offenders or players, we wanted to give you a snapshot of how moderation tasks are broken up between the various systems.

Right now, moderation has looked like this (all actions on all platforms combined):
82% of moderation action came from Kickbot
17% from volunteers and hired staff

After review, we are seeing a lot of the same actionable reasons. While it is against policy to give you named examples, much of our manual kicks and bans (actioned on by volunteers and staff), are the result of users trying to circumvent KickBot by using reordered or changed characters in an effort to evade the filter, and the rest of the kicks and bans are for inappropriate topics, threats to other users, volunteers or staff, or continued use of inappropriate channels to advertise, trade or recruit.

Our professional team is able to provide weekly snapshots into bigger picture moderation needs:

moderationexample.jpg

In summary, the changes we have added to the system have had an effect that we find to be positive and functional. When mistakes are made (usually from simple, human error), they are corrected and reverted. In all, the changes to the program have put it in a place that we are happy with, and we are seeing a much more structured response to the various issues that can arise with in-game chat. And of course, based on that screen shot, you can see why we need to Moderate chat in the first place and what type of stuff we're focusing on.

Any chance Support will be able to look into the chat bans and help people who were kicked due to contextual misfires?

19 minutes ago, (PS4)FLamin_UniKorn said:

Out of curiosity as an alliance owner there are times we have disruptive players that are at Warlord rank in there clan and unable to kick them from the chat. In addition to all the good things you have done to clean up region any way we can have the alliance owner able to kick warlords from alliance tab?

Why dont you just kick the clan out of the alliance?

6 minutes ago, notbydesign said:

Maybe you people use the word trap too much or perhaps making assumptions because I can think of two or three occasions where I've said it in a non-offensive context, even had people in chat say "inb4" etc, and I've not been booted. I'm sure it happens but how often do you honestly say "i'm setting a trap"??

Maybe they fixed it then, idk. If you knew the reason behind why its banned, you'd know it is pretty disturbing.

8 minutes ago, Seinerweisen said:

think he is talking about the abuse that went on not too long ago by some of the "Chat Mods".

30 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

It sounds to me like DE is addressing that concern. I'm not saying that past actions were acceptable, but going forward, it seems DE is monitoring the players in question.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

INB4 players say:

1) This isn't good enough.

2) Too little too late.

3) MOAR TRANSPARENCY

4) Muh rights!

5) Gib banned word list!

*sigh*

Atleast they are adding more than a meta complaint to the topic at hand. Constructive requests for stuff like transparency isn't inherently bad.

37 minutes ago, Voltage said:

This is a great step in the right direction. The Warframe Forums have seen a noticeable decrease in ban related threads, and I hope more changes are made to directly or indirectly benefit this platform.

Ditto.

Thanks for the update, I’m glad that the new system is doing a lot better than what it was before all the changes.

Archived