The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we have a scythe weapon category?

-NightmareMoon-

Uhm...

latest?cb=20140116153508latest?cb=20140314071744

Are these not good enough? Btw, I don't know if it already happened cause I'm not paying attention to scythes, but they were (are?) a weapon category that got (will be?) scrapped and replaced with heavy blades for simplicity sake. Or something like that. Very helpful, I know.

We definitely need heavy scythes but I don't think they need a whole new weapon type. AFAIK the current plan is to make all scythes bigger and classify them as heavy blades.

12 minutes ago, Iludra said:

Uhm...

Are these not good enough? Btw, I don't know if it already happened cause I'm not paying attention to scythes, but they were (are?) a weapon category that got (will be?) scrapped and replaced with heavy blades for simplicity sake. Or something like that. Very helpful, I know.

these are scythes ? 😕 its more like pickaxe ,I agree and I want big scythes real scythes like big swords w new mods and some special efects 😄 

• Like 1

I personally would not mind if they add long and short scythes even sicles because I like those items in some medieval game. New categories also needs because still there are a lot of weapon ideas what needs to be implemented or needs category. Dual zoren for the example is a dual sword but it is more like an axe and we do not have axe-dual axe category and the clevers also used as sword.

I would like to keep the size of these items as it is but add a variant which is really long and can fit into the heavy scythe category.

As I know and how Pr1A said these items possibly will be merged into the heavy weapon category also machetes will be merged into the swords category if I remember well.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Iludra said:

Uhm...

Forgot some:

latest?cb=20130914111401latest?cb=20161021004947

• Like 1

il y a 5 minutes, Renginus a dit :

these are scythes ? 😕 its more like pickaxe ,I agree and I want big scythes real scythes like big swords w new mods and some special efects 😄 

The difference between fantasy scythes and pickaxe is minimal.

Scythes being more cumbersome (weight balance) and sligthly longer.

They are the équivalent of warhammer so....warpickaxe?

4 hours ago, Serafinia said:

I personally would not mind if they add long and short scythes even sicles because I like those items in some medieval game. New categories also needs because still there are a lot of weapon ideas what needs to be implemented or needs category. Dual zoren for the example is a dual sword but it is more like an axe and we do not have axe-dual axe category and the clevers also used as sword.

I disagree with adding new categories. What's the point of having dual axes as their own category if the animations and the gameplay style are more or less the same as dual swords? Having separate categories for weapons that do not really need one just makes things unnecessarily convoluted. I've never understood why staves and polearms are separate, for example. Their animations are virtually interchangable.

Edited by Guest

Well, we HAVE a scythes category. But that thing is going bye-bye. I am a bit saddened by this but I understand why; it is redundant. Some of those scythe combos are neat but we also have to remember that with melee 3.0, they are reworking ALL the melee combos and making them more uniformly doable and more fitting for the game. This unfortunately means that the weapon category is slated to be phased out as the combos would be far too similar to other, more numerous weapons categories. 

Secondly is the issue of overly large weapons. We have some, mostly due to funny glitches with skins, but they are not so large as to be comically large (except for that one heavy blade one). making scythes larger (they are already relatively large) would create issues with environment clipping and animations as they would look silly at best and painfully "wrong" at worst. This is the reason why we can't use Archwing melee weapons in ground combat, they are just too large and their grips too weird to look functional in anything but archwing. And there is a MASSIVE scythe in the game called the kaszas. It's larger then a Tenno. 

latest?cb=20151002090141

49 minutes ago, angias said:

The difference between fantasy scythes and pickaxe is minimal.

Scythes being more cumbersome (weight balance) and sligthly longer.

They are the équivalent of warhammer so....warpickaxe?

These are kamas ... Its like short sword w different stances i wish a realy big heavy scythe with aoe attacks - faster heavy sword but less  damage

Maybe special attack throw them like boomerang just like neznámy charget chakram

1 minute ago, Renginus said:

These are kamas ... Its like short sword w different stances i wish a realy big heavy scythe with aoe attacks - faster heavy sword but less  damage

Maybe special attack throw them like boomerang just like neznámy charget chakram

That already exists. Look no further then the Reaping Spiral stance for the Scythes weapons. Combo 2 "Abyssal Atomaton" has you throwing the scythes. But what you describe is an oversized glaive. We're getting that too, but only in archwing. 

And again, problem with really big weapons is that they don't look good or work well in ground combat, which is why AW melee weapons are not usable in ground combat, they don't look good while in actual use. 

And just how big must a scythe be for you? Have you actually used or seen any of the linked, actually in game scythes? They are polearms, almost as tall as a Tenno. 

Obligatory Rwby post

Spoiler

iyMB63p.gif

I believe scythes should have thier own category as a faster/longer range alternative to heavy blades just like how Bo staffs are compared to Polearms, but hopelly not useless.

Scythes:

+Atk speed

+Range

+Mobility-oriented stances

-Lower overall damage

This can be expanded on if you wish to discuss.

24 minutes ago, Renginus said:

Kamas are actual Ninja scythes - or rather, sickles - though.

Frankly, if any scythe-like weapon should get new treatment, it's them, as they're as important a part of Ninja culture as the Shuriken. Maybe even the Kasuri-Kama, and retroactively turn the Jat Kusar into one.

il y a 36 minutes, (XB1)calvina a dit :

Obligatory Rwby post

Révéler le contenu masqué

iyMB63p.gif

Scythes:

+Atk speed

+Range

-Lower overall damage

They would be actually slower even if you build them with less metal.

It would do way more damage than heavy blade.

Moveset would be similar to the ones of 2 hand Warhammer.

47 minutes ago, (XB1)calvina said:

Obligatory Rwby post

Reveal hidden contents

iyMB63p.gif

I believe scythes should have thier own category as a faster/longer range alternative to heavy blades just like how Bo staffs are compared to Polearms, but hopelly not useless.

Scythes:

+Atk speed

+Range

-Lower overall damage

This guy know what Im talking about, exactly like that "Archwing" don't count, I want ground terrain long scythes, the ether reaper is pathetic, also the way is handle in the game looks more like an Axe than a scythe and the Caustacyst is more like a throwing weapon =_=

Such words as 'reality' or 'common sense' are absolutely incompatible with what we have now as melee categories system. We have longsword that staggers on hit though the purpose of a sword is to deal large cuts with it's mass being destributed over its blade.

We have dual kamas (which are sickles) counting as one weapon type with dual swords but performing chopping attacks like they are axes.

We have the whole machete category where there are basically all the weapons which apparently didn't fit into the traditional sword or axe look but the attacks with them resemble more of beating someone's face with an enormous dildo.

We have a dagger (regular Silva) and a mace (Silva P) both called swords and having incredibly similar stats. Hell, in his own trailre Oberon P impales an armored marine with Silva P (which is a mace again).

The point of this is that with current categories system you can basically do anything. Add a giant spear and make the attacks animations pretend that it is a toothpick. Make a scythe that fits into heavy blade category. The latter won't even surprise anyone. The devs can basically do whatever they wish as there aren't and never been any rules for how the system works. (Except that doing animation sets takes too much time so new stances added rarely).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, angias said:

They would be actually slower even if you build them with less metal.

It would do way more damage than heavy blade.

Moveset would be similar to the ones of 2 hand Warhammer.

What about a momentum system, the more you swing, the faster you go? (Up until a certain threshold of course, although infinite scaling atk speed would be funny)

Similar to the wind up of the gorgon, etc, but once you get upto speed you'd be tornadoing everywhere.

----

Spoiler

nekros___shadows_of_the_dead_by_rotaken-

Edited by (XB1)calvina

il y a 51 minutes, (XB1)calvina a dit :

What about a momentum system, the more you swing, the faster you go? (Up until a certain threshold of course, although infinite scaling atk speed would be funny)

Similar to the wind up of the gorgon, etc, but once you get upto speed you'd be tornadoing everywhere.

----

Révéler le contenu masqué

nekros___shadows_of_the_dead_by_rotaken-

Completely unrealistic, even by DE standard.

I consider scythe to be deadlier than greatsword because of their weight distribution.

That momentum mechanic would be amazing but also would render every non-heavy weapon irrelevant.

The way i see Giant scythe is like an Halbert shaped like a pickaxe.

I think it would be too big to make controlable momentum but i also think it would shred anything in 1 hit.

The way it could build momentum would allow it to.....meh just say it would have a base damage of 200-300

I would make the blade shorter but larger, making the edge strong enough to take all the beating it would recieve/give.

I also beilieve the handle would be made of a strong alliage so it won't break has soon has you hit something.

It make no sense to believe scythe would have Slash has it's main damage type. You could use it to cut but that would the less effective way to use it.

Edited by angias