Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raskol

Negative impact on impact based shotgun riven - is it really worth it?

I assume we all know the basics so ills skip to the point

Got some truly godly riven for a sobek lately with -impact as negative and this got me thinking

Is having a lot more chance to proc corrosive on armored targets rly worth loosing your main dmg type (assuming its over -100%)? Not only youre loosing 75% of the dmg in case of sobek but also theres a matter of overstripping. 

So is there some hidden math that i dont know proving that its better to sacrifice even the majority of your dmg for consistent corrosive procs?

What are the stats of your Riven? The -Impact won't make it amazing in of itself. You can mod for something like Gas and hit quite hard with a Riven like DMG MS SC -Imp or DMG MS CD -Imp.

I understand Snipetron Vandal is a Sniper Rifle and not a shotgun, but the negative IPS interaction can be shown.

Riven:

8355001dd5b86360fd410fedc9e4c600.png

Stats:

2db7a1fc213d636ff309cdebff693189.png

Notice the removal of Puncture and the weight of Gas. Remember that the base status chance of Snipetron Vandal is 16%. Here it is in action:

Negative IPS is never 100% better than another negative on a Riven Mod. However, with even a small amount of status chance, you can manipulate your elemental choice. Corrosive may overstrip, but Gas, Viral + Slash, and more can be interesting on many weapons. For shotgun weapons, Sobek (-Imp), Strun Wraith (-Imp), Pyrana (-Slash), Kohm (-Slash), Astilla (-Imp), etc can be quite powerful. The damage loss from removing the main IPS is minimal compared to your overall damage.

Just now, Voltage said:

What are the stats of your Riven? The -Impact won't make it amazing in of itself. You can mod for something like Gas and hit quite hard with a Riven like DMG MS SC -Imp or DMG MS CD -Imp.

Its dmg, ms, toxin -impact (sold it for a lot of plats already :P)

But im most curious about the -impact

Overstripping with corrosive is a possibility, but for the most part the loss of impact as a raw damage type won't make a huge difference. 

Though TBH, what really makes a difference for rivens for shotguns that can reach 100%, is enough status chance to free up (at least one) slot from what would usually be a status/ele mod, which allows you to dedicate some mods slots to more damage or crit stats. If you pair THAT with a -impact neg, then you've really got something that will kill before ever having the chance to overstrip.

20 minutes ago, Raskolnikow said:

is there some hidden math that i dont know

Physical status types have higher chance to trigger than elemental status types. You would intuitively expect that a weapon which is 100 impact and 200 corrosive damage, to trigger corrosion twice as often as impact....But that is not the case. Removing physical damage types, especially impact and puncture which do not stack and are kind of bad, can make your elemental status output MUCH better.

Though status based shotguns are really only a thing if you can get to 100% status. Strun Wraith, for example, can delete all  armor off high leveled enemies in one or two shots.

It should also be pointed out that you are not really sacrificing the majority of your damage with these mods, because the majority of your damage is most likely from elemental mods. Much like the amount of damage they add is not increased by any of the +IPS mods, it's also not reduced by any -IPS penalties. It could still be a noticable chunk of your damage, but certainly nowhere near half. Especially if you do go for the mass gas proc route and include both toxin mods or something.

2 minutes ago, Momaw said:

Physical status types have higher chance to trigger than elemental status types.

I consider this the basics :P

My main concern was that loss of the 3/4 ips dmg but i guess thats nothing compared to multiple corrosive procs where each will remove 25% of the dmg resistance resaulting in much higher dps

5 hours ago, Raskolnikow said:

I assume we all know the basics so ills skip to the point

Got some truly godly riven for a sobek lately with -impact as negative and this got me thinking

Is having a lot more chance to proc corrosive on armored targets rly worth loosing your main dmg type (assuming its over -100%)? Not only youre loosing 75% of the dmg in case of sobek but also theres a matter of overstripping. 

So is there some hidden math that i dont know proving that its better to sacrifice even the majority of your dmg for consistent corrosive procs?

My Riven-based -impact Sobek does 29K elemental damage with high status.

I might try to push damage even higher and go with radiation for Grineer and even Terry Hunting with Volt Shield buff for kicks.

I had a -impact sobek with damage and reload speed. It was fun to spam with shotgun spaz but kinda weak. I know it looks crappy, but I wish I never rerolled off of my damage CC -CD riven. I was able to get CD back up to 3.2 and it was stronger than my damage SC with -infested. 

However, I got a -impact Kogake and Dehtat that absolutely destroy. Guess it depends on the weapon.

Consider a couple of things:

- most of your damage comes from your elements, partocularly versus armoured targets

- dot procs tend to do a lot of damage if you can make them consistent 

- the -phisical dmg modifier doesn't impact the calculations of your total elemental damage

Depends on the gun. On the sobek, if the riven is excellent (stuff like +dmg +multi +toxin etc) it can be good even with neg impact. 

I have a huge +dmg +crit chance latron riven with almost -90% puncture and it still bumps up my damage hugely and makes my latron competitive with a sniper as far as damage per shot goes (before combo).