Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Three Biggest Problems With Warframe As I See Them.

Aetrion

I have three major gripes with Warframe that are really hurting the fun in the game for me, and I really wish they would be improved. They are:

1. Playing better doesn't help you overcome harder missions because of the ammo system. This is a gigantic flaw in the game. Basically what it boils down to is: if you're in a really difficult mission it doesn't matter if you can overcome the fact that the enemies have a ton of HP and do huge amounts of damage to you by playing smartly and deliberately, because if you take too many bullets to kill a guy the ammo system will shut you down regardless of how well you do. I really hate this. The game basically doesn't let you really challenge yourself, because it insists that you ONLY have enough ammo to finish the mission if you're already at the point where it takes little effort to drop an enemy.

This issue is compounded by the fact that the ammo mutation mods can't be found anymore, so anyone who doesn't have them just gets doubly screwed by the ammo system. Nearly everyone in my clan who plays at a really high level uses them and says they are an essential part of taking on the high end content. The only way to get around that is stocking up on ammo boxes, but that's just idiotic. Why should you have to pay for the ability to give yourself a serious challenge? The fact that different weapons have wildly different rates of ammo consumption without matching rates of ammo gain from drops makes this even more annoying. A gun like the Gorgon is basically completely counteracted by the fact that when you're up against enemies where you actually need to use it as a machine gun you won't have anywhere near enough ammo to finish the mission. If you do enough damage to get through the mission you're also doing enough damage to kill any enemy before it has even spun up to full firing speed.

2. The mastery system punishes you for having favorite weapons and warframes. I love sniper rifles. I played with the Snipetron for a long time, then bought myself a Vulkar, got both of them to 30, and then discovered that my clan had unlocked a new Sniper Rifle, the Lanka. Got myself all the blueprints, got all the materials, including the Forma... And...  Yea, I can't use it until I have worked my way through damn near every other gun in the game. That's just frustrating to me. Why can't I forma the weapons I like and gain more mastery that way? Or more to the point: Why do you not want the money I would pay you to buy Formas to keep using the weapons I like?

I really have no aversion to dropping money on a game. I bought my Frost Warframe from the market with Platinum a while back, because I thought "Hey, here is a frame I like, I don't mind spending money on it so I can use it" - but now my Frost just sits around and I can't use it because the Mastery system says I can never use my Lanka if I keep rolling with the frames I like. This whole act of making weapons and frames disposable by forcing you to switch them out has basically completely turned me off from buying more Platinum. Why should I spend money on stuff that I only use for grinding, and can acquire with just slightly more grinding, which I have to do anyways to level the throwaway item that came before the next thing I grind...  Screw that.

3. The mod system has some really annoying flaws. For one, the mod UI is terrible. I am so sick of clicking through 2 pages of Regenerate every time I want to upgrade anything. Secondly, there are way too many mods in the game that are simply mandatory. Why are things like Serration or Redirection even a mod? It's not like there are any reasonable builds that don't include those. "Oh, I have this special rifle build that doesn't need 165% more damage!" said no-one ever. I really want to see the mod system be a bit more about actually customizing and less about just slotting all the no-brainers.

1. Isn't running out of ammo a challenge.  I don't even run out of ammo unless i'm doing enemies up to level 200.

2. You want mastery quicker, even less challenge?

3.  You mean like how there are 3 savable mod pages for weapons?  Crit build, rainbow build, infested build, energy build, melee build, rush build, etc.  Sounds like there is a reason for mod options.

Edited by Pure

Running out of ammo isn't a challenge when you're not running out because of your accuracy but because the enemies take too many bullets to kill.

I don't think you should be forced to grind every low end shotgun to be allowed a high tier sniper rifle, and I think you shouldn't have to build weapons and frames only to throw them away the second they reach 30. Even if you earned only 50% mastery on things that are already 30 it would still make it a heck of a lot more worthwhile to actually get invested in frames and items earlier in the game, instead of needing rank 7 before you're clear of the disposable item grind where you're punished for using your best stuff.

There are some mod options, sure, but nearly all of the most expensive to max out mods are simply mandatory for anything.

Edited by Aetrion

1. Isn't running out of ammo a challenge.  I don't even run out of ammo unless i'm doing enemies up to level 200.

2. You want mastery quicker, even less challenge?

3.  You mean like how there are 3 savable mod pages for weapons?  Crit build, rainbow build, infested build, energy build, melee build, rush build, etc.  Sounds like there is a reason for mod options.

You must not know what a challenge is.

Running out of ammo isnt a challenge 

Grinding up mastery points isnt a challenge its a grind

This topic is a joke. Sorrie dude, but the game isn't meant to be easy.

If you don't like tossing out weaponry, buy slots.

Ammo is not an excuse to call this game hard. Buy/ or make Ammo Boxes for you to use in emergencies.

And the Mastery Rank system is good, makes you work for the better things in the game.

Did you even read what I wrote? My gripe with ammo is that by the time you can kill things quickly enough to not face an ammo shortage you're basically cruising through the level with hardly a challenge at all. I don't want to be crippled by ammo every time I go up against enemies that can take enough of a punishment to make things difficult.

If they would just allow you to reload your weapon as often as you want it would open the game up to finding enemies that you consider a worthy challenge fighting. Right now you can't do that, because the second you go up against anything that you can't blow through in seconds you'll be out of ammo before you're half way to the first objective. 

The Mastery Rank system is garbage. Making you grind through every piece of gear in the game to get to the higher end stuff is just nonsensical. That's like if an RPG made you level up a Warrior if you want to play a Mage. That just doesn't make any damn sense. You should get better at what you're actually doing.

There should be multiple masteries and they should be based on item, usage, not on item leveling. To unlock the best sniper rifles you should only have to use other sniper rifles. That way if you want to unlock everything you still have to use every item, but individual advancement paths make sense and aren't just a completely pointless grind.

The problem with the Mastery grind is that it takes away my motivation to actually buy Platinum. When I spend money on premium services in a game I want to buy a lasting value, but the entire mastery system undermines the idea of lasting value, and instead says "Don't get too attached to anything". Even if you have an inventory slot for it, what good does it do you just sitting in the inventory? What gives me the confidence to say "This is a purchase that I will enjoy for a long time to come" when the devs seem to think that the reason for adding more weapons and warframes to the game isn't to give me a choice, but to increase the amount of stuff I have to grind through?

That's really the crux of the issue. Instead of giving me a lot of weapons and warframes to choose from so I can use what I like best they turned all the weapons and warframes into a laundry list of stuff to grind. There is no sense that the variety in the game serves to let you define your play style. but instead has been hijacked to serve as a poor imitation of content.

Edited by Aetrion

Don't worry OP, I support ya. Although calling them the biggest problems with Warframe goes a bit far, they definitely are problems.

The ammo thing can indeed be very annoying. If the enemies are strong enough, if you get unlucky with ammo drops or if your weapon simply has a high fire-rate then you will run out of ammo even if you land every shot and there will be nothing you can do against it. This is not a challenge, it's an artificial cap on what content you can and cannot do.

Grinding Mastery points is obviously very boring. I don't even understand how someone can call this a challenge, it's easy as F*** and boring as F***. It just takes soooo long...

This only seems to be a minor problem, but still. Having to scroll through page upon page of mods can be quite annoying. And some mods, such as Serration, are really lame. It's existence automatically makes it a must-have. If it were removed and the base damage of all weapons was increased nobody would even notice the difference.

1) even without ammo conversion, you can still find the Aura Mods.

Also if you equip the converter, you sacrifice potential damage.

But even without ammo conversion or scavenger, i rarely run out of ammo with lanka or dread, even if it is a Sniper with the lowest and rarest ammo.

2) Its fine

3) Seriously? i had a hard time to calculate the best build for my lanka.

Rainbor? Crit? everything can be usefull. I have a Supra with maxed speed and high puncture, but low elemental damage etc...just ake some time to think about different buils. Sure, Serration and Multishot are "most needed" but wayne

3) Seriously? i had a hard time to calculate the best build for my lanka.

If you can calculate a best build then it isn't a choice though, it's just a calculation.

Customization is only really meaningful if you get to weigh options by preference, not by effectiveness.

Edited by Aetrion