Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's the point of Nyx?

Kebast

I finally popped some relics and finished off Nyx Prime. Stuck in a reactor and leveled to 30. After that, I honestly can't find a reason to ever play her again. Skills are fairly lackluster, and don't synergize well, and stats are a bit subpar. What am I missing? 

• Like 1

Just now, Kebast said:

So explain it to me? I don't see anything she does that isn't done better by another frame

- She can mind control 1 enemy Her ability allow her to also increase it's damage output.

- She can Delete Armor and Shield also decrease the movement speed of enemies depend on faction.

- She can use Chaos to confuse enemies into fighting each other. Although you may said killing them would be best. In some situation where you can't kill fast enough, it'll help you a lot.

- She can use Absorb to immune to any damage (depend on how much your energy have). With Augment you can also walk and use melee attack... without taking any damage...

To be honest if she didn't have chaos, she could easily be wukong-tier. But at least she does have chaos. Pairs very well with slowva for the ultimate range CC experience. Useful for interceptions or mobile defense. Sadly, her 2nd ability requires some power strength which is ill-advised for her since chaos is gonna suffer that way.

4 minutes ago, Kebast said:

So explain it to me? I don't see anything she does that isn't done better by another frame

She is a CC debuffer.

Mind Control is made if you want a specific enemy unit to fight alongside you, you have to be selective with those. Corpus Techs are considered best when going against Corpus because their Supra outdamages all their weapons that are not snipers; Grineer has the Heavy Units, but I can reccomend the Napalms and Bombards before the Gunners becsause of their AoE and higher amor; Infested, having an Ancient Healler nearby will increase your survivability considerably. Of all of those, I dont need to say that if you see an Eximus of them, they are a better choice.

Physic Bolts is the debuffer, it lowers the Armor/Shields of enemies that have them or makes them slower (Infested), the problem is that its unreliable on which enemies you want it to pop on and its slow, I still hope that gets changed.

Chaos is made so the enemy stops focusing on you and your team, doesnt mean they wont shoot you if you are close enough, its made to take the heat out of you.

Absorb is a mixed bag for me. It can be a good "OH SH*T!" button or make you a tank with the augment, one of their best uses is to be at top of the objective or a downed teammate while others revive them to ensure they dont go down as well. As it is, its an "Ok ability" for me.

The major problem of Nyx is the same as Loki: you do not appreciate what the full kit can give you unless the enemies are at the point where "Killing is no longer the best form of CC". Sadly, not much use in the Starchart because of that.

• Like 2

1) I barely notice the damage output of mind controlled enemies but its there I guess.
2) Being able to strip armour and shields completely is pretty rad but I don't see a need for this in many gamemodes besides Armour/Shield modified Sorties.
3) Chaos is okay but I would prefer to use Frames such as Khora or Frost if I wanted to CC enemies since they wont be able to attack or hack consoles at all.
4) Without the augment I don't really see anything outstanding for this ability.

As a solo player she is invaluable. I use her, mostly, for Sortie Mobile Defense and Chaos leaves me space to control the outcome. If your object  is being overcome use Mind Control on the strongest enemy and Chaos will sort the rest. I have yet to fail a Sortie with her. (what have I said!) She is the best at controlling the outcome without laying a hand on the enemy.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, (XB1)poodlebingo 65 said:

As a solo player she is invaluable. I use her, mostly, for Sortie Mobile Defense and Chaos leaves me space to control the outcome. If your object  is being overcome use Mind Control on the strongest enemy and Chaos will sort the rest. I have yet to fail a Sortie with her. (what have I said!) She is the best at controlling the outcome without laying a hand on the enemy.

In Mobile Defense missions, low range/high duration Limbo Cat. build is GOAT of all GOATs. I just cast my 73-second cataclysm and AFK lmao. Don't even need stasis, as he can just chill in the rift and divert all fire.

Edited by (PS4)Assassin14435

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Assassin14435 said:

In Mobile Defense missions, low range/high duration Limbo Cat. build is GOAT of all GOATs. I just cast my 73-second cataclysm and AFK lmao. Don't even need stasis, as he can just chill in the rift and divert all fire.

Got to agree but if a Nullifier sneaks 'round the corner you're toast. Nyx can usually see them coming, pop the bubble and convert them. I suppose it's what you're used to using and respect to you.

If you don't get the point of Nyx then she's not for you in terms of playstyle. Which is fine, no one has to like and/or play everything or anything. Mastery speedbump happen with everything.

For me she has always been a reliable frame to take to almost any mission.

• Like 2

IDK why is been so popular to piss on Nyx lately:

She has decent mass persistant CC of all enemies in vast range +entering

Assimilate build is immortal and can be kuva flood farmer +using AoE weapons like zarr with no self damage

Her 1 can be used on eximus enemies /ancient healers to get their bonuses, or on shield /mine ospreys, hyeka masters which will fight+spawn for tenno. 

Few other things

Overall decent frame

23 minutes ago, ThorienKELL said:

IDK why is been so popular to piss on Nyx lately:

She has decent mass persistant CC of all enemies in vast range +entering

Assimilate build is immortal and can be kuva flood farmer +using AoE weapons like zarr with no self damage

Her 1 can be used on eximus enemies /ancient healers to get their bonuses, or on shield /mine ospreys, hyeka masters which will fight+spawn for tenno. 

Few other things

Overall decent frame

I guess it's popular because I just got the prime version from the recent unvaulting, like a good number of other people I'd suspect. 

I have a volt prime and nova prime with forma that I play often, and compared to them, I find nyx very average. I just don't see any way that she stands out. If you like her, then great, no harm there. 

1 hour ago, Kebast said:

I finally popped some relics and finished off Nyx Prime. Stuck in a reactor and leveled to 30. After that, I honestly can't find a reason to ever play her again. Skills are fairly lackluster, and don't synergize well, and stats are a bit subpar. What am I missing? 

Back in the day Nyx was queen for defense and survival. Now she doesn't really have a purpose other than enjoying how she plays.

So you aren't really missing anything. She is an average frame at best. And this is coming from a Loki and Nyx player from back in the day.

There isn't much reason anymore. She used to compete with Loki for best CC in the game... but no longer.

Loki is a better CC frame, plenty of better debuff frames, plenty of better damage frames and plenty of better sponges.

Nyx is lost in mediocrity. Trying to do a buncha things she wasn't designed for and not being very good at any of them. I wouldn't argue against a frame's design from it's creators if it wasn't that DE themselves summed up Nyx as a "Defensive / CC" frame. Not a debuff frame. Not a damage frame. None of this crap they've ruined her with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kebast said:

I don't see any reason to play another 'frame since I have Nyx. 

Unfortunately, the rework was bungled and it hasn't helped her a bit. Very much the opposite. She can still do what she always has done, but...we did expect better from the rework. It puts her in the position of having competing stat priorities and muddles her intended mission. 

She needs another review and rework--and I'd still take her over Loki any day. 

3 hours ago, Kebast said:

Nyx has one job: prevent the enemy from shooting any Tenno

She has never been bad at this job, she is in fact so good at it that she used to be god tier. But power creep is real, and in this age of Maiming Body Rush Overload and Primed Stretch Maimquinox most people would prefer their "prevent the enemy from shooting any Tenno" to be done in a more lethal manner

34 minutes ago, AzureTerra said:

Hardly, also you don't have to pick a Nyx up off the floor every few seconds

Yea you do. Esp when they think Assimilate is going to protect them from a lvl 300 Nullifier. Every time someone says she's immortal I giggle.

Absorb doesn't gain any mitigation benefits from other frames or Specters. Meanwhile Loki is actually immortal long as you know how to avoid crossfire which is minimal because his CC removes enemy weapons, prevents grenades from being thrown and enemies from doing special attacks which are usually AoE.

Hold on.... lemme check something just for the lulz.

Yep... Loki with Trinity and Gara standing next to an Ancient Healer Specter has 1,230,731 eHP. Nyx in Assimilate has 318k at best and won't benefit from any of that mitigation. Meanwhile Loki will keep the team far more safe with his CC. Nyx has more eHP out of Assimilate in that group. That ability is a safety net. A counter to situations you're not sure you have control over. Something that's intensified considerably due to her now sub par CC. Assimilate doesn't hold up when real damage comes your way and RIP if she gets tagged by an Ancient Disruptor who ignores her Absorb completely and one-shots her energy pool.

Loki and Nyx are my two most used frames. I've put a lot of time into them at a very wide level range and Loki is easily the better CC frame and group value frame, oh and better Solo frame. I don't want that to be the case but it's true. They botched Nyx's rework so much it was downright spectacular.

BsTyYxA.jpg

Edited by Xzorn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NocheLuz said:

- She can mind control 1 enemy Her ability allow her to also increase it's damage output.

- She can Delete Armor and Shield also decrease the movement speed of enemies depend on faction.

- She can use Chaos to confuse enemies into fighting each other. Although you may said killing them would be best. In some situation where you can't kill fast enough, it'll help you a lot.

- She can use Absorb to immune to any damage (depend on how much your energy have). With Augment you can also walk and use melee attack... without taking any damage...

- doesn't do enough damage to matter

- other frames can do it better (or aura)

- any hard cc runs circles around this skill and boy are there plenty available

- her best skill and it's niche at best. awful without augment, dull with, and largely not useful in a meta where enemy threat no longer exists, and even in a worst case scenario can be replaced by our panic button iframe that is operators (which every player can have on any frame they have)

Nyx is good in aesthetic alone, functionally she's a dumpster fire

Edited by Cubewano