Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's the point of Nyx?

Kebast

I play her for a lot of things, honestly, but largely out of laziness. There's a lot of content she can make trivial without effort, as long as you don't need to, you know, actually kill enemies. Chaos is an ability that tends to function a lot worse in a squad, since its benefit of keeping things occupied for a very long time tends to fall through if the enemies in question are just dying. And while chaosed enemies seem to be VERY reluctant to attack nyx, I've still seen them be pretty ready to attack the other players. Might have to do with weapon noise.

her new 2 would be a nice armor strip, but it's got pretty awkward mechanics, and... also I'm not going to start running power strength on nyx when I was tanking it already for Chaos. Armor strip is for when I want to kill things, and if I wanted to kill things I would not be playing nyx.

3 hours ago, Cubewano said:

Nyx is good in aesthetic alone, functionally she's a dumpster fire

I won't argue with that. Because there are a lot of Frames to play with. Just play with the Frame you're comfortable with. But just siad the Frame is awful just because you don't understand how to use her ability or said that other Frame do better... I would only said that she is good Frame and her ability is good and not great. Still have room for improvement but not awful.

Other things about why she is awful because the game don't really depend on CC. The game depend on killing and other Frames do better then her in Killing...

3 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

It's a vague sentence. I can say the same for Fang Prime too. Understanding her won't make her better. Basically everything of her is written on the description. 

I said the facts. If you don't understand how to ride bicycle and you said what the point of bicycle if you can just ride Car... Understand her won't make her better, yes. But will make you 'USE' her better. If you don't understand her kits, how will you use her then? Just because you don't understand it's value it didn't mean it's worthless.

Pre-tweak, I'd say she was a very powerful frame with some of the strongest solo-ability in the game. There just wasn't any content in the game that required her abilities/strength so she became less desirable by the player base.

Post-tweak, I'd say she's a dumpster fire. Nyx is my favorite frame but she has many contradictions now.

-Mind Control is 25 energy. Who cares if it doesn't do Saryn-level damage?

-Psychic Bolts is a great debuffer in a game where the guns and mods are so massively overkill that it is rendered completely meaningless. This doesn't even take into account how building for it weakens your best ability. This skill was really good before it was changed; especially with the old passive. Nuanced, sure, but strong.

-Chaos is still good, but it was a lot better with her old passive. Without the enemies engaging each other face-to-face, it lost a lot of its utility. How does that level 100 Supra taste?

-Absorb is trash. They made it take-in and spit-out damage types the enemies better resist. Was this fixed? I don't know because Absorb will likely never be good and it probably doesn't matter. Oh, right, they gave a laughable damage buff to it. I forgot how that was thematic to absorbing damage. As for the augment, I have never used it. It was never necessary.

-The new passive is trash. Instead of removing entire guns from enemies all over the field, something that also benefited teammates and better protected objectives, we get a TINY chance to not-die in one hit.

Again, my favorite frame. I gave up playing her. I get better results with Revenant.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kebast said:

Skills don't synergize well

They used to and work really well for survival, not anymore.

10 hours ago, Kebast said:

What am I missing? 

Probably a pure range-duration build and the pre-tweak state of the frame.

15 hours ago, Kebast said:

I finally popped some relics and finished off Nyx Prime. Stuck in a reactor and leveled to 30. After that, I honestly can't find a reason to ever play her again. Skills are fairly lackluster, and don't synergize well, and stats are a bit subpar. What am I missing? 

just press 4 and enjoy god mode.

7 hours ago, NocheLuz said:

I won't argue with that. Because there are a lot of Frames to play with. Just play with the Frame you're comfortable with. But just siad the Frame is awful just because you don't understand how to use her ability or said that other Frame do better... I would only said that she is good Frame and her ability is good and not great. Still have room for improvement but not awful.

Other things about why she is awful because the game don't really depend on CC. The game depend on killing and other Frames do better then her in Killing...

Again, aesthetic is all she is good for. It isn't about learning to use her or not, mastered, unmastered, she excels in nothing and is mediocre in near everything. She's a cc frame with one of the worst ccs, a defense frame with some of the most restrictive of defenses, a debuffer who can barely debuff, and a mock summoner whose summon is pretty much for decoration. 

Even when cc was king Nyx never shined, she's been lackluster since her inception and is still waiting for the day she can be remotely relevant. The shift to dps may not have helped her situation, but it's hardly how it began. 

Edited by Cubewano

15 hours ago, ThorienKELL said:

IDK why is been so popular to piss on Nyx lately:

She has decent mass persistant CC of all enemies in vast range +entering

Assimilate build is immortal and can be kuva flood farmer +using AoE weapons like zarr with no self damage

Her 1 can be used on eximus enemies /ancient healers to get their bonuses, or on shield /mine ospreys, hyeka masters which will fight+spawn for tenno. 

Few other things

Overall decent frame

need to fix these or change at least:

1. Mind control bypass kill requirement in defense mission
2. Psychic Bolts recastable (because even if DE allow the ability to spam, it still cost 50 energy at 100% efficiency)
3. Absorb actually a nuke ability if DE buff it right.

1 hour ago, Cubewano said:

Again, aesthetic is all she is good for. It isn't about learning to use her or not, mastered, unmastered, she excels in nothing and is mediocre in near everything. She's a cc frame with one of the worst ccs, a defense frame with some of the most restrictive of defenses, a debuffer who can barely debuff, and a mock summoner whose summon is pretty much for decoration. 

Even when cc was king Nyx never shined, she's been lackluster since her inception and is still waiting for the day she can be remotely relevant. The shift to dps may not have helped her situation, but it's hardly how it began. 

Let's just say there are people that enjoy using her. I also one that would like to see her rework into a greater kits. I won't argue that she'e great or whatever. But to someone who can you her properly, she's good in her own way. Let's just say that we can never see the days where CC is king. Because as long as there are weapon that kill enemies without really taking Armor or shield into account. CC is never needed.

16 minutes ago, NocheLuz said:

Let's just say there are people that enjoy using her. I also one that would like to see her rework into a greater kits. I won't argue that she'e great or whatever. But to someone who can you her properly, she's good in her own way. Let's just say that we can never see the days where CC is king. Because as long as there are weapon that kill enemies without really taking Armor or shield into account. CC is never needed.

We did ala "aesthetic is all she is good for", she is good so far as if someone wants to play her for her looks/theme but that's about it. She's not functionally good/strong however. And we have seen the days when CC was king, it lasted for several years back when endurance runs were still a thing and raids hadn't yet died.

Edited by Cubewano

6 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

And we have seen the days when CC was king, it lasted for several years back when endurance runs were still a thing and raids hadn't yet died.

Well, CC never needed so she's never needed. Because if you needed CC Frames that's mean other Frames are useless. That the meaning of CC is the King. If CC just there to make it easier it's still not needed. IDK, if your 'CC is the king' have the same meaning but for me. Something name 'King' is something they needed just to have a chance to complete the objective. Meaning without one you will ABSOLUTELY cannot win at all.

But I agree that she's not functionally strong or good for that matter. It's still not wrong that you'll needed to understand how her ability work just to have a chance at using her to that point of 'good'.

2 minutes ago, NocheLuz said:

Well, CC never needed so she's never needed. Because if you needed CC Frames that's mean other Frames are useless. That the meaning of CC is the King. If CC just there to make it easier it's still not needed. IDK, if your 'CC is the king' have the same meaning but for me. Something name 'King' is something they needed just to have a chance to complete the objective. Meaning without one you will ABSOLUTELY cannot win at all.

But I agree that she's not functionally strong or good for that matter. It's still not wrong that you'll needed to understand how her ability work just to have a chance at using her to that point of 'good'.

She wasn't needed even when CC was needed, which yes CC was at a time absolutely necessary to survive stages of content, and was valued even more than damage frames. 

She has no point of good, she's never had a point of becoming good. 

7 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

She wasn't needed even when CC was needed, which yes CC was at a time absolutely necessary to survive stages of content, and was valued even more than damage frames. 

Sure sure, I guess that's why she was called the queen of CC for the longest time, because her CC was never useful. Gotta love the guys who can only express themselves with black-and-white statements. 😄

Meanwhile I'm picking people off the floor of Mot whenever I use her there to enjoy a bit of old-timey Survival.

• Like 1

I never did care about her ability synergy but just how she can my gameplay more chilled. I tend to run her instead of Frost at interception mission with just using 3 and huge range. Another example is Razorback armada. I just use augument for her 4th and 1st skill and i dont have to hack any bursas. Just cast 4, and mind control bursas and job is done. Any kind of bosses like hyena pack also works with her 4th augument. I cannot see a better way to do this kind of bosses than just walk around, shoot and be invincible whole fight. 3 is enough to get through mobs without taking any damage. So she can be really unexpected but such a nice choice for this kind of missions.

Ofc there is nothing that Rhino or Chroma cannot do but it is nice to swap for a change and see it working wonders too.

16 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

Sure sure, I guess that's why she was called the queen of CC for the longest time, because her CC was never useful. Gotta love the guys who can only express themselves with black-and-white statements. 😄

Meanwhile I'm picking people off the floor of Mot whenever I use her there to enjoy a bit of old-timey Survival.

She was never. 

K? (also why are your teammates dying if she's such great cc?)

Edited by Cubewano

3 hours ago, Kimimoto said:

Build that Duration/Efficiency + her 4th augment + 2 arcane energize

Literally unkillable

😔

3 hours ago, -NightmareMoon- said:

just press 4 and enjoy god mode.

😳

14 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Yea you do. Esp when they think Assimilate is going to protect them from a lvl 300 Nullifier. Every time someone says she's immortal I giggle.

Absorb doesn't gain any mitigation benefits from other frames or Specters. Meanwhile Loki is actually immortal long as you know how to avoid crossfire which is minimal because his CC removes enemy weapons, prevents grenades from being thrown and enemies from doing special attacks which are usually AoE.

Hold on.... lemme check something just for the lulz.

Yep... Loki with Trinity and Gara standing next to an Ancient Healer Specter has 1,230,731 eHP. Nyx in Assimilate has 318k at best and won't benefit from any of that mitigation. Meanwhile Loki will keep the team far more safe with his CC. Nyx has more eHP out of Assimilate in that group. That ability is a safety net. A counter to situations you're not sure you have control over. Something that's intensified considerably due to her now sub par CC. Assimilate doesn't hold up when real damage comes your way and RIP if she gets tagged by an Ancient Disruptor who ignores her Absorb completely and one-shots her energy pool.

Loki and Nyx are my two most used frames. I've put a lot of time into them at a very wide level range and Loki is easily the better CC frame and group value frame, oh and better Solo frame. I don't want that to be the case but it's true. They botched Nyx's rework so much it was downright spectacular.

BsTyYxA.jpg

^

Thanks for all of the replies. I've at least got a couple of ideas for situations to build her, even if she just collects dust instead. 

I'll give a high range chaos build a try, but I generally think Nova brings more to a team with her CC, since it also boosts damage. 

57 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

Still not to the point of needed if she's still not that useful. You know something is useful because it's needed right? If she's bad even in that CC is 'absolutely necessary' that's mean it isn't 'absolutely necessary' at all. Let's say there are missions that you'll needed to bring Nyx just to have a chance at completing it. She's useful right? She's needed right? Only in those missions, yes. But it would be very boring if you needed to bring one Frame just to have a chance at winning.

Also, I'll not argue about your opinion of her. Since each one have difference opinion on the matter. For me, she's good but not great. I can even argue about how I don't like the best Warframe in the game (If there are one lol...), and not in the wrong about it. Even if most of the people like it.

19 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

And what point would that be? 

I think he mean that she survive but other died? Also, CC have range. If others died outside of the range it's their fault not Nyx.

27 minutes ago, NocheLuz said:

Still not to the point of needed if she's still not that useful. You know something is useful because it's needed right? If she's bad even in that CC is 'absolutely necessary' that's mean it isn't 'absolutely necessary' at all. Let's say there are missions that you'll needed to bring Nyx just to have a chance at completing it. She's useful right? She's needed right? Only in those missions, yes. But it would be very boring if you needed to bring one Frame just to have a chance at winning.

Also, I'll not argue about your opinion of her. Since each one have difference opinion on the matter. For me, she's good but not great. I can even argue about how I don't like the best Warframe in the game (If there are one lol...), and not in the wrong about it. Even if most of the people like it.

I think he mean that she survive but other died? Also, CC have range. If others died outside of the range it's their fault not Nyx.

Something is useful if it is able to meaningfully contribute to a cause, you are confusing the word with mandatory which is when something is absolutely necessary to accomplish your cause. A frame does not need to be mandatory to be useful, otherwise no frames in the game would be useful since Warframe can presently be done with literally any frame. All that said, I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this line of thinking. Either Nyx is mandatory or the entire games design is flawed? 

And I'm sure Kent can speak for him/herself. 

Edited by Cubewano

33 minutes ago, Kebast said:

Thanks for all of the replies. I've at least got a couple of ideas for situations to build her, even if she just collects dust instead. 

I'll give a high range chaos build a try, but I generally think Nova brings more to a team with her CC, since it also boosts damage. 

Yes, Chaos is still what makes her. Duration can be around 100%, or slightly higher or lower, depends on taste,really. Observe how they behave when under Chaos.

Use MC on Ancients or Eximi and keep half an eye on the duration (you can mark them as allies, which helps, too), or shoot them enough that they die when it runs out. Sometimes Heavy Gunners or Techs can help a bit, too, but don't waste too much time on that. Definitely try the Assimilate augment. Chaos Sphere is an option, too, but is more niche because you have to commit your whole build to range and duration for that.

20 minutes ago, NocheLuz said:

No I meant the other part about black-and-white statements. No point in having a discussion with people like that. But you're right, when 4 Tenno are entering Mot, people run in 5 directions.

• Like 2