Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Endless 'Scaling' Rewards

(PSN)BJwobbleDix

I understand this has been brought up before and I have read some of those posts. I apologize if this exact suggestion has but I did not find one.

I wholeheartedly agree that you shouldn't scale rewards with increasing difficulty--some posts talked about having practically double rewards after a couple rotations and then triple a couple after that which seems ridiculous (though maybe fun for a short event? lol).  But I do believe there needs to be just a minor incentive to wanting to keep going that makes doing the first rotation then resetting strat a little less efficient vs still moving forward imo.  And of course, people simply care about more of the rewards after completing a round (ie relics) vs grinding enemies.

So here is my potential suggestion with "rotation rewards":

Rotation 1 (AABC):  Stays the same.  Nothing changes whatsoever.

Rotation 2:  AABC + the choice of 1 reward out of 3 options where each option is pulled from each rounds' loot pull--i.e. first option is from A, second from B, and third is from C.  In essence, this is seen as a 'bonus' reward.

From here on out, the rest of the rotations are the same as rotation 2.  To clarify in case I didn't make it clear, this extra reward is ONLY given once you complete the rotation.  In other words, every time you beat C, you get 2 rewards.  So every rotation from the second and on is a total of 5 rewards.  Someone could correct me, but I would think this is like a bonus reward every 20 minutes or so? 

This actually is not a true "scaling" reward with enemy difficulty because the rewards don't get better after Rotation 2.  But the concept here is to make things more efficient than Rotation 1 so it's a little better to just stay and keep fighting vs resetting constantly.  Plus, if you get through Rotation 2 but decide to bounce and reset, then your efficiency drops since you now have to get back through Rotation 1 which only gives 4 rewards.  Does it have to be designed as I have stated?  No.  Things can be balanced of course.  If having the reward after 4 rounds is too much, then maybe make it every 5 rounds.  Or another way is make it where there is an 'Invasion' mission that has this type of reward design for a limited time then moves on to another mission.  Hopefully that makes sense.

1 hour ago, (PS4)ImTooHungover said:

Plus, if you get through Rotation 2 but decide to bounce and reset, then your efficiency drops since you now have to get back through Rotation 1 which only gives 4 rewards.

In other words, unless you want/are able to go more than 20 minutes, you are at a disadvantage.

This is what DE isn't interested in making happen.

Edited by peterc3

Il y a 2 heures, peterc3 a dit :

In other words, unless you want/are able to go more than 20 minutes, you are at a disadvantage.

This is what DE isn't interested in making happen.

A fairly small disadvantage.  1 extra reward every 20 minutes (roughly) is not that much.  Honestly.  Someone who grinds an hour for 3 additional rewards LET ALONE you're still messing with RNG, its just enough to actually make it worthy without making it busted depending on what you need. And of course, not every endless mode would incorporate such a system.  That or it would be different.  Excavations for example are fine the way they are imo.  This style is more towards the Defense mode or maybe even Interception.  Things where time is a bit longer and more static  And as mentioned, there's a ton of ways it could be tweaked to offer a balance so efficiency just barely leans towards pushing further vs doing constant resets.

The AABC rotation being the standard is a very clear indication that they aren't really interested in rewarding staying for longer than 4 rounds at all. People can propose all the different methods of making endless runs more rewarding that they want, but it's wishful thinking. It would mean basically remaking the entire rewards system from scratch, and the rewards are the game.

If I had to guess, endless reward scaling is NEVER going to happen in any form; it's bad for their business model, it's bad for player interactivity in so many different ways that it warrants a thread of its own, and I'm inclined to say it's even outright bad design for a game like Warframe where the only thing keeping you from accumulating all the power you can possibly have is time invested.

Edited by ebrl