Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does one mod?

___DragonFlame___

Question

So I had posted previous threads asking weather I am behind on weapons and MR. Turns out that those don't really matter, because people say it's not about the weapons and MR, but how you mod them. But what I don't understand is how people complete the entire star chart at MR 6, but when I try to do so with cataclist-installed weapons, I am outplayed by the npc's every time.

13 answers to this question

35 minutes ago, ___DragonFlame___ said:

what I don't understand is how people complete the entire star chart at MR 6

I mean, you said it yourself, MR means pretty much nothing, Mods are where the real power comes from.

(Also, I guess at least a good number of 'em got carried through much of the game, heh.)

37 minutes ago, ___DragonFlame___ said:

when I try to do so with cataclist-installed weapons, I am outplayed by the npc's every time

Having lots of Capacity is one thing, but yet again, what you do with it is what matters.

Could you give us an example loadout, complete with Mods, that'd let us point out possible flaws?

start with your damage and multishot/attack speed. if the weapons has 15%+ crit chance then use the crit mods. then start with the elements, if it has 15%+ status chance then use dual stat element mods, if not then the 90% ones will do

that's just the bare basic to get by, experiment with others or look up builds to know more

• Like 2

MR do so much things but, you need Forma and orokin reaktor 😄
more forma stronger warframe (weapon) + mods that is true 😄

and you need to know what mode's do to warframe or weapon 😄

some mode do bug and some mode you do not put on things 😄 you can pick from raven to corrupted modes to have something special to use 😀

Edited by VPVulpes

How to mod weapons 101:

Something I recommand to check is your mods rank, you can have an amazing build but it will mean nothing without ranks. I saw so many people fall for not ranking up mods.
The order of what I say is by proirity. The top of the list will be your first mods to put in, the buttom are your last mods.

1. Damage.
The very first mods to add are damage mods, more spesificly Serration for rifles and bows, Point Blank (Primed if you have) for shotguns, Hornet Strike for secondaries and Pressure Point (Primed) for melee.
More damage is always good and you have no reason not to use them.

2. Multyshot.
Doesn't apply to melee because it doesn't use it.
Multyshot says how many bullets/pellets are launched with every shot. For example, a bow with no multyshot mods will always shoot one arrow at a time because it have 0% multyshot, with maxed Split Chamber it will give you 90% multyshot which mean you have 90% chance to shoot two arrows instead of one, without wasting ammo. 100% multyshot you will shoot two arrows all the times, 200% for three arrows, you get the idea.
Multyshot also give more damage and status chance. There is alot of math behind the status chance multyshot give but don't let it bother you how it works.
With that said, it's like another damage mod, mo reason not to use it.

3. Attack speed and fire rate.
Faster shooting and faster swinging, just applying damage faster. Not much need to explain more, you're smart enough.
Do watch out with weapons that already have high fire rate, the consume a lot of ammo and more fire rate means you will run out of ammo faster. My recommandation is to not give more fire rate for weapons with 15 fire rate or more.

4. Critical and Status
This is the complicated one and what will make your weapons good.

• Critical:
    Most weapons have some chance to land a critical hit. For example, a weapon with 10% ciritical chance will have 10% chance to land a "critical hit" with every swing/bullet, a little more complicated with shotguns but nothing to worry about and for you it's the same.
    The amount of damage a critical hit will do is determend by the critical multyplier. For example, a critical hit from a weapon with 100 base total damage and 2.3 critical multyplier will deal 100 x 2.3 = 230 damage.
    For basic modding: every weapon with 20% critical chance minimum is worth modding for critical hits, 15% is the bare minimum to be able to do it but not always worth it. Add critical chance mods and critical multyplier mods to increase the chance to lande mroe powerful hits and make these hits more powerful.
    For melee, its worth to replace Fury (attack speed mod) to Berserker (increase attack speed with critical hits). Don't worry if you don't have it, you use what you got.
    Status chance is the chance you got to proc a status condition with every hit. This one is a little more complicated to talk about here but what you need to know for now is that it weakens the enemies you hit in some way or another depends on the damamge types the weapon have. 20% and above is good for a status build.
    The popular types of damage people use in the meta are Slash, Viral and Corrosive mostly, more spesific reason to use the rest but these three are good for most cases.
    Slash cause bleeding, dealing damage over time to enemies.
    Viral reduce the maximum health of the enemies by 50% for a short amount of duration.
    Corrosive reduces current armor by 25% permanently (for 8 seconds if you got this proc).
    A weapon with 100% status chance will always proc a status effect.

5. Elemetal Damage
Yes, it's a damage mod which I listed at the top of the list but this time you need to be smart about it. You can't just put all of the mods and jump into a mission, you need to know how to combine them right because you will get different results with how you put them on your weapons.
Elemental Damage are more spesificly those that give Heat, Cold, Electric and Toxin damage. You can ignore most of the IPS (Impact, Puncture, Slash) mods in most cases, there are some cases the Slash mod worth it but you can ignore it for now.
Enemies have weaknesses to damage types so you can mod your weapon to be good against a spesific types of enemies. Most armored enemies (yellow health bar) are weak to Corrosive damage or Radiation damage, Shielded enemies (red bar and a blue bar together) are weak to Magnetic damage, those without any defenses (just a red health bar) depends on faction and type of enemy.
The most importent thing to know when modding an elemental damage is how you combine them into a secondary damage type. The mods are applied from the left slot, runs on all the row going right, and do it again on the row below (left to right, top to buttom). The elemental mods will give you a new damage type depends how you added them: for example I put Cold damage on the top right slot and a Toxin damage on the buttom left slot, I will get Viral damage instead of Cold and Toxin. For more information about how to combine and what is the proc each type deals, see this: https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage
Now, it's usually enough to use the 90% damage mods (all are uncommon), but a weapon with a good status chance will do better with the dual status mods (rare mods, have only 60% of the damage but also give 60% status chance). Two mods are enough (one secondary damage type), add a third one if you have space and if you think it's worth it, 4 is usually too much.

Some more mods worth checking out for more melee builds:

• Body Count
  • Blood Rush
  • Weeping Wounds
  • Argon Scope
  • Maiming Strike
  • Reach / Primed Reach (worth it on long reach weapons).
  • Like 2

Does the weapon have a base critical chance of 20 or more? Riven > Damage > Multishot > Critical chance and Critical damage > 90% lightning and 90% Toxin (makes corrosive) > 90% cold > fire rate

If the weapon doesn't have 20% base critical chance, it's probably a status chance weapon. Riven > Damage > Multishot > 60%/60% lightning and fire mods (60% damage and 60% status) > rate.

All weapons have a generic damage mod, multishot mod, critical mods etc, but you should also look out for other mods that have similar properties. For instance, with rifles you can get: Damage - heavy caliber, Critical - bladed rounds, Crit/status - hunter munition, Fire rate - vial acceleration.

If you're looking for suggestions on all around good weapons, I like ignis wraith, staticor, arca plasmor, pyranna prime and Lanka.

For warframes you need to play their strengths.

Does the warframe have high base health? Vitality and hunter adrenaline are good mods to use.

High base shields? Redirection

High base armor? Steel charge

Low health, shield and armor? quick thinking + flow

Think about what skills you need to use on a character and fuel those skills.

If a character doesn't need range, but you want duration? Narrow minded

If a character doesn't need strength, but you want range? Overextended

If a character doesn't need efficiency, but you want stength? Blind rage

If a character doesn't need duration, but you want strength or efficiency? Transient fortitude and fleeting expertise respectively

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ___DragonFlame___ said:

So I had posted previous threads asking weather I am behind on weapons and MR. Turns out that those don't really matter, because people say it's not about the weapons and MR, but how you mod them. But what I don't understand is how people complete the entire star chart at MR 6, but when I try to do so with cataclist-installed weapons, I am outplayed by the npc's every time.

2 hours ago, FrostedMike said:

How to mod weapons 101:

Something I recommand to check is your mods rank, you can have an amazing build but it will mean nothing without ranks. I saw so many people fall for not ranking up mods.
The order of what I say is by proirity. The top of the list will be your first mods to put in, the buttom are your last mods.

1. Damage.
The very first mods to add are damage mods, more spesificly Serration for rifles and bows, Point Blank (Primed if you have) for shotguns, Hornet Strike for secondaries and Pressure Point (Primed) for melee.
More damage is always good and you have no reason not to use them.

2. Multyshot.
Doesn't apply to melee because it doesn't use it.
Multyshot says how many bullets/pellets are launched with every shot. For example, a bow with no multyshot mods will always shoot one arrow at a time because it have 0% multyshot, with maxed Split Chamber it will give you 90% multyshot which mean you have 90% chance to shoot two arrows instead of one, without wasting ammo. 100% multyshot you will shoot two arrows all the times, 200% for three arrows, you get the idea.
Multyshot also give more damage and status chance. There is alot of math behind the status chance multyshot give but don't let it bother you how it works.
With that said, it's like another damage mod, mo reason not to use it.

3. Attack speed and fire rate.
Faster shooting and faster swinging, just applying damage faster. Not much need to explain more, you're smart enough.
Do watch out with weapons that already have high fire rate, the consume a lot of ammo and more fire rate means you will run out of ammo faster. My recommandation is to not give more fire rate for weapons with 15 fire rate or more.

4. Critical and Status
This is the complicated one and what will make your weapons good.

• Critical:
    Most weapons have some chance to land a critical hit. For example, a weapon with 10% ciritical chance will have 10% chance to land a "critical hit" with every swing/bullet, a little more complicated with shotguns but nothing to worry about and for you it's the same.
    The amount of damage a critical hit will do is determend by the critical multyplier. For example, a critical hit from a weapon with 100 base total damage and 2.3 critical multyplier will deal 100 x 2.3 = 230 damage.
    For basic modding: every weapon with 20% critical chance minimum is worth modding for critical hits, 15% is the bare minimum to be able to do it but not always worth it. Add critical chance mods and critical multyplier mods to increase the chance to lande mroe powerful hits and make these hits more powerful.
    For melee, its worth to replace Fury (attack speed mod) to Berserker (increase attack speed with critical hits). Don't worry if you don't have it, you use what you got.
    Status chance is the chance you got to proc a status condition with every hit. This one is a little more complicated to talk about here but what you need to know for now is that it weakens the enemies you hit in some way or another depends on the damamge types the weapon have. 20% and above is good for a status build.
    The popular types of damage people use in the meta are Slash, Viral and Corrosive mostly, more spesific reason to use the rest but these three are good for most cases.
    Slash cause bleeding, dealing damage over time to enemies.
    Viral reduce the maximum health of the enemies by 50% for a short amount of duration.
    Corrosive reduces current armor by 25% permanently (for 8 seconds if you got this proc).
    A weapon with 100% status chance will always proc a status effect.

5. Elemetal Damage
Yes, it's a damage mod which I listed at the top of the list but this time you need to be smart about it. You can't just put all of the mods and jump into a mission, you need to know how to combine them right because you will get different results with how you put them on your weapons.
Elemental Damage are more spesificly those that give Heat, Cold, Electric and Toxin damage. You can ignore most of the IPS (Impact, Puncture, Slash) mods in most cases, there are some cases the Slash mod worth it but you can ignore it for now.
Enemies have weaknesses to damage types so you can mod your weapon to be good against a spesific types of enemies. Most armored enemies (yellow health bar) are weak to Corrosive damage or Radiation damage, Shielded enemies (red bar and a blue bar together) are weak to Magnetic damage, those without any defenses (just a red health bar) depends on faction and type of enemy.
The most importent thing to know when modding an elemental damage is how you combine them into a secondary damage type. The mods are applied from the left slot, runs on all the row going right, and do it again on the row below (left to right, top to buttom). The elemental mods will give you a new damage type depends how you added them: for example I put Cold damage on the top right slot and a Toxin damage on the buttom left slot, I will get Viral damage instead of Cold and Toxin. For more information about how to combine and what is the proc each type deals, see this: https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Damage
Now, it's usually enough to use the 90% damage mods (all are uncommon), but a weapon with a good status chance will do better with the dual status mods (rare mods, have only 60% of the damage but also give 60% status chance). Two mods are enough (one secondary damage type), add a third one if you have space and if you think it's worth it, 4 is usually too much.

Some more mods worth checking out for more melee builds:

• Body Count
  • Blood Rush
  • Weeping Wounds
  • Argon Scope
  • Maiming Strike
  • Reach / Primed Reach (worth it on long reach weapons).

Damn, nice job i was going to add some advice but you said literally everything in one post.

13 minutes ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

High base shields? Redirection

tenor.gif?itemid=5938426

Does the frame has a DR (Damage Reduction) Skill then Redirection is viable...but it is almost never recommended.

Volt Prime and Frost Prime do have one of the highest shields ingame...Completely relying on Redirection makes them drop like flies...I have seen so many players so it is definitely not an uncommon issue

14 hours ago, ___DragonFlame___ said:

Finished the whole startchart at MR5

On 2019-02-03 at 2:19 PM, GnarlsDarkley said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5938426

Does the frame has a DR (Damage Reduction) Skill then Redirection is viable...but it is almost never recommended.

Volt Prime and Frost Prime do have one of the highest shields ingame...Completely relying on Redirection makes them drop like flies...I have seen so many players so it is definitely not an uncommon issue

Volt with redirection and capacitance does pretty well.

6 hours ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

Volt with redirection and capacitance does pretty well.

But that's super redundant, though.

Capacitance should keep your Overshields up (and regen-ing further) all the time,
adding Redirection instead of, say, Vitality, to gain a buffer against Toxin damage / Slash procs, kinda makes no sense.

10 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

But that's super redundant, though.

Capacitance should keep your Overshields up (and regen-ing further) all the time,
adding Redirection instead of, say, Vitality, to gain a buffer against Toxin damage / Slash procs, kinda makes no sense.

Except that redirection gives you a much bigger pool to fill back up with capacitance.

51 minutes ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

Except that redirection gives you a much bigger pool to fill back up with capacitance.

My point is, Capacitance should keep you filled up most of the time,
whether or not you have those extra 660 Shields, there'll be 1200 Over- and 450 base Shields already,
that little extra margin of error allowance you'd gain from Redirection I'd much rather replace with e.g. Vitality or Adaptation.

(Also, yay Umbral Vitality & Intensify.)

Edited by NinjaZeku