Let's talk about HUD

(PSN)Station2D-

Hello ladies and gentlemen!

Today I will tell you my ideas to improve the game

said that we started!

This time I would like to share my ideas to improve the HUD in the game:

Hud (suggestions):

Concepts:

I would like to change the concept of the HUD and UI in the game for something that is more attractive and enjoyable for all being replaced by something like this:

https://imgur.com/QiBRi5T

https://imgur.com/Vy9AJag

Note: I show you these concepts because I think they are some of the best HUD I've seen in video games and I think they could fit well in the game

https://imgur.com/kMNmbO7

Note: This image does not belong to me since I took it from STUDIO QUBE and I show it to them because I think it looks great and I think it could fit well in the game

Additions:

I would like you to add new details to improve the performance of the HUD that I will comment on below:

• HUD will be fully customizable
  • Adapt the new UI themes with the HUD
  • Add a distortion effect on the screen when players take damage
  • Players can choose between several types of aiming reticles
  • That a meter is added to increase or decrease the screen movement effect
  • Improve the approach and distance of the angle of the camera
  • Improve the angle of the camera when players aim
  • That now the icons in the missions show information of the missions or other things when it is pointed towards them
  • Players can choose between different types of HUD concepts (the current one, the one I'm suggesting, etc.)
  • That now the HUD can be temporarily hidden in the game (in any type of HUD) and that the players can activate and deactivate that option
  • That players now have the option to deactivate and activate the effects of the screen

I hope you liked it

Thank you for your attention!

Edited by (PS4)StationOfDead

16 minutes ago, Dark_Lugia said:

it will be pain to keep track of a hud thats constantly moving..
warframe ist fast has bulletjumps, rolls etc.
having the hud in a fixed place is much better than one moving around

Yeah, this is the problem I see with a hud attached to your warframes back.
Oh you're doing a bullet jump or glide?  Good luck reading your info on health or shields.  Or if enemies crowd around you?  Good luck reading the hud through the enemies.
The games that OP is citing aren't games with tons of fast movement, they are slower and more deliberate so a hud like that works well.  In a faster paced more twitchy game?  I just don't see it working.

28 minutes ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

Add a distortion effect on the screen when players take damage

Please god no.
People already get headaches and visual fatigue from the constant screen shaking and flashing effects, we really don't need more random flashes and distortions when we take damage from the dozens of enemies around us or a damage tic from a proc.

This would stand to make the game drastically more annoying to drive people away because it would cause actual pain to have your view constantly getting distorted.

Also good luck keeping track of your ammo, or your weapons affinity, in a floating bar like that that is somewhere on your screen and constantly being blocked by enemies...
And if enemies get behind you?  Good luck seeing your new hud through them.

At least with the current hud I can always read it, regardless of what is happening in the masses of enemies.  I can easily tell my health/shields/ammo...and I would lose that with the mock-up you show.

Edited by Tsukinoki

1 hour ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

something that is more attractive and enjoyable for all

Speak for yourself.  I by far prefer Warframe's HUD to either of the examples you showed.  I wouldn't mind a bit of customizability, but other than that I'd say it's good the way it is.

Also, as several people mentioned, having any part of the HUD attached to the 'Frame would be impractical given the nature of the game's movement.

Edited by xXRampantXx

hace 57 minutos, Dark_Lugia dijo:

it will be pain to keep track of a hud thats constantly moving..
warframe ist fast has bulletjumps, rolls etc.
having the hud in a fixed place is much better than one moving around

hace 40 minutos, Tsukinoki dijo:

Yeah, this is the problem I see with a hud attached to your warframes back.
Oh you're doing a bullet jump or glide?  Good luck reading your info on health or shields.  Or if enemies crowd around you?  Good luck reading the hud through the enemies.
The games that OP is citing aren't games with tons of fast movement, they are slower and more deliberate so a hud like that works well.  In a faster paced more twitchy game?  I just don't see it working.

That is not a problem since some parts of the HUD may disappear when the player is in constant movement and reappear if the player receives damage

hace 58 minutos, Tsukinoki dijo:

Please god no.
People already get headaches and visual fatigue from the constant screen shaking and flashing effects, we really don't need more random flashes and distortions when we take damage from the dozens of enemies around us or a damage tic from a proc.

I understand you but that would be optional

hace 59 minutos, Tsukinoki dijo:

Also good luck keeping track of your ammo, or your weapons affinity, in a floating bar like that that is somewhere on your screen and constantly being blocked by enemies...
And if enemies get behind you?  Good luck seeing your new hud through them.

At least with the current hud I can always read it, regardless of what is happening in the masses of enemies.  I can easily tell my health/shields/ammo...and I would lose that with the mock-up you show.

Honestly I do not see what the problem is

8 minutes ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

That is not a problem since some parts of the HUD may disappear when the player is in constant movement and reappear if the player receives damage

That just exacerbates the issue.  This is essentially saying "The solution to it being hard to see the HUD some of the time is to make it impossible to see almost all of the time".

4 minutes ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

The aesthetics

Maybe in you're opinion, but aesthetic is a very subjective thing, and I tend to think most Warframe players (including myself) prefer the current aesthetic over the one you are suggesting.

Edited by xXRampantXx

hace 12 horas, Dark_Lugia dijo:

and which hud elements do you want to hide?

The holographic parts attached to the player but as I said previously those just only disappear temporarily if the player has no interaction with them (use of weapons, healing or reduction of health, use of skills and energy, etc.)

hace 12 horas, bad4youLT dijo:

I guess you never seen the old HUD

I had already seen it and with all the respect that the developers deserve I think that the old HUD looks unattractive and very loaded and if you look closely they continue using the same concept with the current HUD of the game

hace 12 horas, xXRampantXx dijo:

Also, as several people mentioned, having any part of the HUD attached to the 'Frame would be impractical given the nature of the game's movement.

That just exacerbates the issue.  This is essentially saying "The solution to it being hard to see the HUD some of the time is to make it impossible to see almost all of the time".

I think you did not understand what I meant...

The idea is that the holographic parts attached to the player disappear temporarily when the players do not interact with them

Man, Old HUD is still best HUD, nostalgia>practicality/aesthetics any day.

Are you serious??

Please think about what you said

Speak for yourself.  I by far prefer Warframe's HUD to either of the examples you showed.  I wouldn't mind a bit of customizability, but other than that I'd say it's good the way it is.

Maybe in you're opinion, but aesthetic is a very subjective thing, and I tend to think most Warframe players (including myself) prefer the current aesthetic over the one you are suggesting.

I think the problem is that you (and other players) are very used to the current HUD in the game

3 hours ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

The idea is that the holographic parts attached to the player disappear temporarily when the players do not interact with them

So the HUD disappears...and what happens if I want to know my energy levels or health levels outside of say the boss room in an assassination sortie?  I just have to cast an ability or somehow take damage so that I can check it and see if I should drop a restore?
That would be incredibly annoying to have to do that every single time I want to check on any of my statuses; and as mentioned it would be near impossible to check on said status in the middle of combat as you're flipping and jumping around making it really annoying trying to track how much energy you have left, or if your overshields are nearly out, or if you're near critical HP.

One important thing that players need to know is "What is my health/shields/energy level" even in the middle of combat where you can't just sit there trying to get your character and camera to co-operate with each other so that you can read some small thing that is on your frames back that is more likely than not clipping with any Syandana you may have equipped or the numerous effects going on around your character.

Which that is another problem with said idea: It would clash horribly with syandanas and other frame decorations that people use.

Another problem is how would a support frame keep track of ally health/shields/energy if the hud is attached to their frame and constantly being obscurred by enemies/effects/the frame itself/your camera not cooperating/or just not being visible?  Its kinda important to see that information at all times.

Another problem: What if someone is using the full screen map?  Now you have the map ontop of your hud making it even harder to see when added in with everything above.

15 hours ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

Honestly I do not see what the problem is

So you're telling me that you don't see what the problem is not being able to read your ammo counter if the enemy density is too high or you're moving and shooting too quickly?
Because that was the problem I was pointing out.

Get a lot of enemies together, namely infested, and good luck locating that floating bar and numbers let alone read them with enemies everywhere.
With the current HUD the ammo counter is in one location; and is always readable.
With your mock-up neither of those would be the case; and for some limited ammo weapons it's nice to have a consistent way to check your ammo count at any time.

Imo there is no stat fich feels unnecessary:
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Heads-Up_Display
Map: always nice to have, so yoe know which tile you are on and will be facing
Mission Target: needed to, especially if you join late
Chat: already is reduced if noone is writing
FPS counter/ping etc: you can turn it of, I like it so i know if the connection is bad
crosshair: no doubt that´s the most important thing
buffs/debuffs: well i don´t want to guess why i´m slow, invis etc
life bar: randomly dies <- didn´t see that coming
squad bars: can be turned of, but i like to know if  they are alive/loaded in
ammo: needed, cause i want to know how often i can shot
and energy/abilities are one of the key things in warframe

14 hours ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

Are you serious??

Please think about what you said

Guess you don't understand the concept of "jokes".  Sorry, but I don't have the time to educate you.

I think the problem is that you (and other players) are very used to the current HUD in the game

Then you clearly think wrong.  I (and, based off of the responses you've gotten here it would seem, the vast majority of Warframe players) prefer a static HUD in any game.  The issue here if that you are pushing yous belief that this freakish monstrosity of a HUD that you prefer as being objectively better that the static HUD Warframe has when the reality is that both from a technical perspective and the opinions of Warframe players besides yourself, it is undoubtedly worse.  As for your examples images, I don't play Dead Space so I can't speak to the effectiveness of it's HUD, but there has not been even a single time I've played The Division and not wished it had a static HUD, not because I'm "used to it" but because it is better, functionally, visually, and technically.

I think you did not understand what I meant...

That's exactly the problem!  Just because you're not actively interacting with them doesn't mean you don't need to see them, in a game like Warframe every piece of pertinent information needs to be immediately accessible at all times.

Edited by xXRampantXx

No, for the love of Hunhow no, your proposed idea is HORRIBLE and would in no way work in our game. I always hated a hud that is attached to my character, or one that moves around and shakes, especially don't want it to disappear in a game like this.

Your idea is bad, you should stop trying to argue for it.

hace 22 horas, Tsukinoki dijo:

So the HUD disappears...and what happens if I want to know my energy levels or health levels outside of say the boss room in an assassination sortie?  I just have to cast an ability or somehow take damage so that I can check it and see if I should drop a restore?
That would be incredibly annoying to have to do that every single time I want to check on any of my statuses; and as mentioned it would be near impossible to check on said status in the middle of combat as you're flipping and jumping around making it really annoying trying to track how much energy you have left, or if your overshields are nearly out, or if you're near critical HP.

One important thing that players need to know is "What is my health/shields/energy level" even in the middle of combat where you can't just sit there trying to get your character and camera to co-operate with each other so that you can read some small thing that is on your frames back that is more likely than not clipping with any Syandana you may have equipped or the numerous effects going on around your character.

hace 10 horas, xXRampantXx dijo:

That's exactly the problem!  Just because you're not actively interacting with them doesn't mean you don't need to see them, in a game like Warframe every piece of pertinent information needs to be immediately accessible at all times.

I will repeat...
The holographic parts attached with the players will hide if the player moves abruptly but will reappear or stay there if the player has some interaction or if the player does not move abruptly so what is the problem? and please do not come with that excuse that the HUD is hard to see because if it is easily distinguished

Which that is another problem with said idea: It would clash horribly with syandanas and other frame decorations that people use.

There should not be any problems because that part of the HUD consists of holographies

Another problem is how would a support frame keep track of ally health/shields/energy if the hud is attached to their frame and constantly being obscurred by enemies/effects/the frame itself/your camera not cooperating/or just not being visible?  Its kinda important to see that information at all times.

The statistics of the allies will be there but the difference is that these statistics will be attached to the allies in the form of holograms (even if they are far away) and not to the screen

Example: https://imgur.com/DDRDBuQ

Another problem: What if someone is using the full screen map?  Now you have the map ontop of your hud making it even harder to see when added in with everything above.

I never mentioned that the minimap would not be there and please look at the images again and there would be no problems with the full map since that can be deactivated and activated when the player wants is very simple

So you're telling me that you don't see what the problem is not being able to read your ammo counter if the enemy density is too high or you're moving and shooting too quickly?
Because that was the problem I was pointing out.

Get a lot of enemies together, namely infested, and good luck locating that floating bar and numbers let alone read them with enemies everywhere.
With the current HUD the ammo counter is in one location; and is always readable.
With your mock-up neither of those would be the case; and for some limited ammo weapons it's nice to have a consistent way to check your ammo count at any time.

hace 11 horas, xXRampantXx dijo:

Then you clearly think wrong.  I (and, based off of the responses you've gotten here it would seem, the vast majority of Warframe players) prefer a static HUD in any game.  The issue here if that you are pushing yous belief that this freakish monstrosity of a HUD that you prefer as being objectively better that the static HUD Warframe has when the reality is that both from a technical perspective and the opinions of Warframe players besides yourself, it is undoubtedly worse.  As for your examples images, I don't play Dead Space so I can't speak to the effectiveness of it's HUD, but there has not been even a single time I've played The Division and not wished it had a static HUD, not because I'm "used to it" but because it is better, functionally, visually, and technically.

I said that because you are basically complaining and giving excuses for things that can be read and memorized easily and I sometimes play without the HUD enabled and the only problem I have is that I can not see the map so it would be very irrelevant and unfair that this new concept of HUD is not added by those simple failed attempts of excuses (that even have solution that I already explain) so the only problem I see is that you are very used or do not know how to adapt to new things or can not even understand the concept and also I can not believe you still prefer the current HUD but I already came up with a solution for that I hope you like it

Note: sorry if I'm being rude

hace 19 horas, Dark_Lugia dijo:

Imo there is no stat fich feels unnecessary:
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Heads-Up_Display
Map: always nice to have, so yoe know which tile you are on and will be facing
Mission Target: needed to, especially if you join late
Chat: already is reduced if noone is writing
FPS counter/ping etc: you can turn it of, I like it so i know if the connection is bad
crosshair: no doubt that´s the most important thing
buffs/debuffs: well i don´t want to guess why i´m slow, invis etc
life bar: randomly dies <- didn´t see that coming
squad bars: can be turned of, but i like to know if  they are alive/loaded in
ammo: needed, cause i want to know how often i can shot
and energy/abilities are one of the key things in warframe

I also do not like the idea that some parts of the HUD are temporarily hidden but if necessary you have to do it and also all those points that you mentioned are going to be there in the HUD that I am suggesting:

• Map: that part will be in the upper left corner
  • Objectives: it will also be there
  • Chat: it will also be there but with the option to deactivate and activate
  • FPS: it will also be there
  • Crosshair: it will also be there
  • Buff and debuff: those parts will be attached with the player in the form of holograms
  • Health bar and shields: those parts will be attached to the player in the form of holograms
  • Squad: those parts will be attached to the allies in the form of holographic bars
  • Ammunition: those parts will be attached with the player in the form of holograms
  • Energy and skills: those parts will be attached to the player in the form of holograms