Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's talk about HUD

(PSN)Station2D-

On 2019-02-10 at 7:15 AM, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

If you think that adding more variety to the game is not a benefit, you are very very wrong because you can easily use the current HUD and let the other players use other types of HUD and, please, for your dignity, do not say no because you know it's true and please open your mind and understand that the HUD I'm suggesting is programmed to follow the players wherever and however and adapting to the movements of the players so that it is readable and understandable...

Get over yourself. Just because you think it's a good idea doesn't mean that you can force us to agree with you simply because you don’t want to accept other people’s opinions. Okay fine, you don't like Warframe's HUD. We get it.  That doesn't mean that your idea is better than what we have in place now. All your explanations and comments berating us for not immediately worshiping you as a god for your (not so) brilliant suggestion will get you nothing but more resistance.  Maybe you should go play Bethesda games where you can download mods and play it your way.

En 15/2/2019 a las 7:09, CaptainJLP dijo:

If anything, I don't mind seeing other HUDs, even if there were player created HUD's take games like PD2 for example where you could 'download' other players HUD's maybe excluding the info HUDS (HUDS that display information not present on the default HUD), though the original HUD would have to stay as is, I don't think many players like the idea of changing HUD. I was kind of thinking about this a while back, but it's really not something I would care too much about.

En 15/2/2019 a las 10:36, Steel_Rook dijo:

No, on all counts. I absolutely despise The Division's UI for various reasons. First of all, interaction labels have a nasty habit of displaying at an angle or even reversed, making them difficult to read. They also have the tendency to fade too quickly to be practical. I'm also not at all a fan of the Dead Space UI because it makes terrible use of screen space, blocking a significant portion of it with my own character's body. I don't like fancy holographic displays because despite being "neat," they're typically incredibly clunky and clumsy to use. While I see the potential of fading UI elements when they aren't in use, that would have to be an OPTION, rather than the mandated only state. Again, that's "neat" but also something I find terribly cumbersome, forcing me to fire or aim my gun just to check my ammo or fire mode status.

You like minimalistic UI design, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd love for there to be an option to retain most of those things. And hell, I'm a huge fan of communicating information to the player via the environment. Payday 2 did a pretty good job of that, requiring you to manually check the LCDs on drills for their timers or watch a cutter head's progress cutting a circle to judge remaining time. SOME of the stuff in Warframe could definitely be done this way, but I have absolutely no desire to have my health, ammo or other important stats either fade or strapped to my back. The less clutter there is around my character and in the middle of my screen, the happier I'll be.

Warframe's camera is already WAY too close to the character on all three axes. The last thing I want is more icons getting in the way.

En 15/2/2019 a las 19:32, Dopekoke dijo:

I don't want any obstructions from viewing my warframe's ass.

I understand that you are used to the current HUD of the game but you have to understand that that type of HUD used in the game is basically a HUD of a game with a first person perspective (which is bad) while the HUD that I am suggesting is programmed for games with third person perspective and games with second person perspective which means that it would fit well with Warframe and other games with the same perspective and also I do not agree with the "problems" mentioned not only because they are minimal but also because those "problems" can be fixed by just moving the camera which means that that excuses are irrelevant but I will not force and therefore I add the option that you can also use the current HUD of the game if you want and YES, this is important because the game has basically been using the same HUD since it was released so it's time for them to update and add new HUDs like what they did with the new UI themes

4 hours ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

I understand that you are used to the current HUD of the game but you have to understand that that type of HUD used in the game is basically a HUD of a game with a first person perspective (which is bad) while the HUD that I am suggesting is programmed for games with third person perspective and games with second person perspective which means that it would fit well with Warframe and other games with the same perspective and also I do not agree with the "problems" mentioned not only because they are minimal but also because those "problems" can be fixed by just moving the camera which means that that excuses are irrelevant but I will not force and therefore I add the option that you can also use the current HUD of the game if you want and YES, this is important because the game has basically been using the same HUD since it was released so it's time for them to update and add new HUDs like what they did with the new UI themes

But as it's already been pointed out, it may work for TPS's like the Division and Dead Space, but it's completely unsuited for Waframe. No other game that uses a body HUD gives you the insane mobility we have. And you still haven't given any practical reason why a body HUD would be better (other than just repeating "it'll be better" or "DE can just fix it"), Or suggested a fix for any of the many issues we've brought up that doesn't make it worse (seriously,  why would you suggest that it flat out disappears during movement?). Why should DE create a HUD that is objectively worse than way we currently have, that they would knowingly have to fix to be up to par and create more unnecessary work for themselves? Yes, Warframe could use some touching up to the HUD, and v singe of your ideas would be pretty nice to have, but making a body HUD is a terrible idea, as evidenced by the rest of the thread. Nostalgia has nothing to do with our arguments, and you can't just dismiss them as such. This is purely about practicality, and your suggestion is incredibly less practical than what we currently have.

6 hours ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

Can you be any more patronising? No, we're not failing to grasp the complexity of your suggestion. We simply don't like those types of UI implementation in any of the games they've showed up in. No, our "excuses" are not "irrelevant" just because you happen to not care about them. And frankly, if you're not willing to even attempt to respect my perspective and work with me, then I have no real motivation to respect your proposal. None of what you propose is superior to what we have, none of your supporting arguments are in the slightest convincing. Unless you're willing to actually address the comments given to you, then I don't see the point in discussing this point any further.

And for the record, there's no such thing as a game with a "second person perspective."

1 hour ago, (PS4)Firebrandd said:

Wrong. There are a very few - such as Mario 64. Granted, I can't find any current titles but I'm sure they are there.

Mario 64 is not a "second person" game. It's a third-person platformer. For it to be a "second person" game, you would have to view it exclusively through the perspective of whatever enemy you're currently engaging. The conceit of the game being seen through the camera of a supporting character is a framing device, not a shift in perspective. Dragon Age 2 is entirely told from the perspective of Varric who isn't the protagonist, but it's still a third-person game because it's seen through the perspective of a third person.

Incidentally, the Giant Bomb article that I think you're referring to is chock-full semantic misappropriations in an attempt to reframe third-person perspective games as "second person" perspective. For it to be a second-person perspective, the perspective would need to belong to whatever or whoever is the object of actions in the game. The first person perspective belongs to the subject of the action, the second person to the object, the third person to everyone else. And while some games do contain limited second-person perspective moments, the cumbersome nature of controls in this situation precludes entire games done that way. While there may be such I've missed, Mario 64 certainly isn't among them.

En 20/2/2019 a las 9:46, Atsia dijo:

But as it's already been pointed out, it may work for TPS's like the Division and Dead Space, but it's completely unsuited for Waframe. No other game that uses a body HUD gives you the insane mobility we have. And you still haven't given any practical reason why a body HUD would be better (other than just repeating "it'll be better" or "DE can just fix it"), Or suggested a fix for any of the many issues we've brought up that doesn't make it worse (seriously,  why would you suggest that it flat out disappears during movement?). Why should DE create a HUD that is objectively worse than way we currently have, that they would knowingly have to fix to be up to par and create more unnecessary work for themselves? Yes, Warframe could use some touching up to the HUD, and v singe of your ideas would be pretty nice to have, but making a body HUD is a terrible idea, as evidenced by the rest of the thread. Nostalgia has nothing to do with our arguments, and you can't just dismiss them as such. This is purely about practicality, and your suggestion is incredibly less practical than what we currently have.

It does not matter if the game is hyper fast or hyper slow the HUD can be programmed to that without any problem and the reasons why that HUD is better are obvious: is dynamic, is aesthetic, is minimalist, is creative, is striking, is legible, is functional, etc... and I know you know it but you do not want to admit it and YES, that HUD is much better than the current HUD of the game,  why you think I'm suggesting it? and not only fits perfectly with Warframe but also with other games (even with first-person perspective games) and saying that this change is unnecessary is like saying that adding new content to the game is unnecessary and that is very very silly and if you do not want to use it then use the current HUD of the game and let the other players use other types of HUD, so you have no reason to be complaining... 

En 20/2/2019 a las 11:21, Steel_Rook dijo:

Can you be any more patronising? No, we're not failing to grasp the complexity of your suggestion. We simply don't like those types of UI implementation in any of the games they've showed up in. No, our "excuses" are not "irrelevant" just because you happen to not care about them. And frankly, if you're not willing to even attempt to respect my perspective and work with me, then I have no real motivation to respect your proposal. None of what you propose is superior to what we have, none of your supporting arguments are in the slightest convincing. Unless you're willing to actually address the comments given to you, then I don't see the point in discussing this point any further.

And for the record, there's no such thing as a game with a "second person perspective."

I'm not disrespecting your opinion I'm just saying that the "problems" that you and others have said are minimal and have solutions (which I already mention) and yes, that makes them irrelevant and yes, the HUD I'm suggesting is superior and much better than the current HUD of the game (for obvious reasons) but if you do not want to use it then use the current HUD of the game and let others use other HUD types, so you have no reason to be complaining... and also if there is games like Siren: blood curse that represent the second person perspective

4 hours ago, (PS4)StationOfDead said:

I'm not disrespecting your opinion I'm just saying that the "problems" that you and others have said are minimal and have solutions (which I already mention) and yes, that makes them irrelevant and yes, the HUD I'm suggesting is superior and much better than the current HUD of the game (for obvious reasons) but if you do not want to use it then use the current HUD of the game and let others use other HUD types, so you have no reason to be complaining... and also if there is games like Siren: blood curse that represent the second person perspective

Well, I guess you COULD be more patronising, dismissive and insultingly arrogant. Good to know.