Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What about iron sight for assault rifles?

sorcer3r

In a game like Warframe where visibility is already a problem in many cases (too much stuff exploding at the same time), *cough* Eidolon *cough*, and where dozens of enemies spawn for all sides and axis, forcing you to be as mobile as possible, an FPS option would only be detrimental to the gameplay (and the players' health), imho. 

So that's a no from me capt'n.

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16
  • Like 4

vor 36 Minuten schrieb sorcer3r:

IMO iron sight = more gunplay fun 

This is subjective opinion.

vor 32 Minuten schrieb Blade_Wolf_16:

In a game like Warframe where visibility is already a problem in many cases (...)

And this is objective fact.

Then there are also facts like for example but not limited to:

- The intense zooming whould cause a lot of motion seckness for people prone to the problem.

- Ironsights only make sense in games with recoil patterns, in games with cone-of-fire mechanics like Warframe they loos every bit of actual usability and are reduced to a mere aestetic.

• Like 1

Rewarding and gratifying results make shooting fun.

Pretty sure games like Doom 2016 have proven the old school methods are still the best when done well.

Shooting in Warframe feels less gratifying due to it's horde nature and the results not being very different from a good or bad shot.

• Like 1

On 2019-02-05 at 5:03 PM, sorcer3r said:

As a melee main I could imagine I would use rifles more often with the option to have iron sight.

In a 3rd person game? That only makes sense in a 1st person shooter, in a 3rd person game you have to switch viewpoint.

Is there another 3rd person game that does this?

On 2019-02-05 at 5:03 PM, sorcer3r said:

IMO iron sight = more gunplay fun

It makes sense with realistic weapons. I'm not sure how it will work with most of Warframe's space guns.

It's also a lot of work for the devs - in games with iron sights it's an integral part of the weapon. Changing the sight can make all the difference to the effective range and so on, with lots of games offering alternate sights as upgrades.

It's the kind of feature you either start with and build around or that just doesn't fit.

Reminds me of this one old topic (which I took way too literally back then, haha):

I don't think that «true» ADS in the current game's flow will be well-accepted and implemented:

1. switching from 3rd person to 1st person's ISs with high mobility is gonna be an issue,
  2. FoV settings' interaction with mods changing WF's version of «ADS» is definitely gonna be an issue - just smile and say «Riveeeen!», for example EFT:
    Spoiler

4BUbF6D.gif

50 FoV:

7DvLDiF.jpg

75 FoV:

7SxRcTg.jpg

3. guns will need either 2 models (3rd person/1st person) or just one high-poly model, so it wouldn't look awful when aiming down the sights,
  4. some guns don't have ISs and some guns, in fact, will even obstruct the view if there would've been ADS mechanics: Soma Prime, Akstiletto, Burston, Kraken, Gorgon, Zenith, Opticor etc.

These are the ones that came to my mind.

Optional? Sounds good, but something tells me it's still time-consuming to implement such feature, because you still have to address listed issues 🤔

I feel like a full fledged First Person mode would be really cool, but it's far from necessary. If First Person were to ever be implemented though, I can't help but think of Dying Light or Mirrors Edge, on how they did a very good job at having a parkour centered mobility system in First Person.

The main issues that come with this are:

1) The game's FOV would have to be adjusted in a way that the player had a very good sense of space and depth while jumping around at the speed of sound without getting lost in the mayhem, while not hindering the perception of the player;

2) The guns in Warframe are not designed with First Person in mind, so the implementation of something like Iron Sights would mean redesigning every single gun in the game, and that's a lot of work, not to mention how expensive it would be;

3) Melee as it is(and will be in 3.0) would be kinda screwed up in First Person, due to the way the characters strike with most weapons.

So, yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing that in the game anytime soon. And I won't lie, one of the facts that attracted me to Warframe in the first place was the fact it was third person, but I don't think we can ever have too many options.