Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

*UPDATED* DE Steve tweet: Melee incremental upgrade phase #1. Melee Rework. New Fx and Melee 2.9 Dev Workshop Friday.

(XBOX)YoungGunn82

15 minutes ago, (XB1)Skippy575 said:

I guess I need to see it in action before I make any judgement about it.

14 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

I'm not really certain, I'd have to see it in action.

It sounds like it would need a new button to make it work seamlessly imo.

7 minutes ago, Tricky5hift said:

Sounds pretty cool to me, can't wait to try it out.

Will definitely improve the flow of gameplay by streamlining weapon swapping.

5 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

We’d have to see it in action, like everybody says, but it sounds rad af, to be perfectly honest. Cautiously optimistic.

Why not just rebind melee channeling to the alt fire key, seeing as that’s not used by any other melee functions?

Maybe a demo this week. 🤞🤘

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

God.

Oh Steve. 

You were doing so well.

Channeling is not useless, it’s tied irrevocably to some of the strongest melee sustain builds in the game, and what I smell now is that Life Strike is toast. I have the worrying feeling that if you said to Steve “Hey, what’s gonna happen to Life Strike?” his first response might just be “Life Strike? What’s Life Stri-oh! Right, yeah, Life Strike.”

Seems pretty good. One of my main gripes about the current melee system is how slow and clunky it is to switch between melee and guns.

I hope they'll also make switching between primary and secondary more fluid.

30 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Channeling is not useless, it’s tied irrevocably to some of the strongest melee sustain builds in the game, and what I smell now is that Life Strike is toast. I have the worrying feeling that if you said to Steve “Hey, what’s gonna happen to Life Strike?” his first response might just be “Life Strike? What’s Life Stri-oh! Right, yeah, Life Strike.”

It will be either bound to the new "devil trigger" channeling or charge attacks, either of those won't be as effective as the current Life Strike. But we'll see, they might come up with something. Would be nice to have a workshop on the melee changes.

Edited by Genitive

7 minutes ago, Genitive said:

It will be ether bound to the new "devil trigger" channeling or charge attacks, either of those won't be as effective as the current Life Strike. But we'll see, they might come up with something. Would be nice to have a workshop on the melee changes.

Yeah, we’ll have to see. It’d be a pity if DE broke something cool while trying to redo the melee system. My main concern is that they might rework melee to look cooler but be significantly less functional.

EDIT: That’s a little negative of me, so I will note that otherwise, this preview does sound pretty good, especially with how these days the extremely slow switch from ranged to melee and back is aggravating.

’sides, Healing Return still exists, although it too is less good and only works on Status builds.

Edited by BornWithTeeth
  • Like 1

I... don't like this.

I loved being able to fully swap to a melee weapon so I could attack/block with M1+M2. This is a big part of what players wanted back in the old days when Melee 2.0 wasn't even out yet, and this "Sword Alone" mode was a major design goal of Melee 2.0 (among numerous other things). And now DE is... getting rid of this option?

I get that swap speeds are an issue, but that can be addressed without destroying "Sword Alone" mode, can't it? RIP the ability to swing a sword with M1.

EDIT: Also worth noting:

• Gunplay mode and "sword alone" mode also have slightly different movement mechanics when it comes to rolling+blocking+sprinting (especially combinations of the three-- this is especially apparent for those who have "Toggle Sprint" enabled). Is DE ever going to address this, or are players just going to be yanked back and forth between two movement systems whenever they swing their sword?
  • If we want to melee something and then shoot a faraway target... how the hell are we going to aim at the target without throwing 1 ammo away first?
  • Is the M1 button just going to sit there uselessly whenever Excal/Valkyr/Wukong/etc presses 4, since melee attacks can no longer be bound to it?
Edited by SortaRandom

Just now, TARINunit9 said:

I'm seeing a problem: so the ONLY way to switch back to guns is to spend a bullet? Probably not, but when you press the "switch guns" button will you go back to the gun from before you melee'd or to your other gun?

They might just also keep the alternate weapon switch controls, which by default on PC is the F key I think?

44 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

God.

Oh Steve. 

You were doing so well.

That's because he has already moved on to DA POWA of Healing Return.   Mwuhahahahahahaha

• Like 1

If I understood correctly the tweets and some things they showed in past devstreams, the way it works is: you're shooting enemies normally, press melee and you instantly go straight to full melee with combos, blocking and everything active right away. While in melee you press fire and go back instantly to the last weapon you used and start shooting right away. If this is how it works, I love it. The only thing is we'll need to rebind channeling to a different key, which honestly it's not much of a hustle. 

Personally I have melee and quick melee bind to the same button and I never had any problems doing that. In fact with this change both should be merged together (some people seemed worried about that).

Overall I think it's a very positive change. 

The thing that actually worries me about melee 3.0 is what will the combo system become and what will happen to bloodbrush, weeping wounds, etc. 

Edited by Amhiel
Grammar
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

We’d have to see it in action, like everybody says, but it sounds rad af, to be perfectly honest. Cautiously optimistic.

Why not just rebind melee channeling to the alt fire key, seeing as that’s not used by any other melee functions?

I'm worried about keybinds too. I'm already struggling with some actions.

Currently I have Channeling bound to 'R'. Same button as reload. No reloads during melee so the game recognizes the dual bind. Works great for me.

My concern is that channeling becomes more useful, we feel forced to use it and end up fighting with keybinds. Currently channeling isn't super useful on most builds so it doesn't get used often. 

Let's face it. Energy isnt abundant enough to support long term channeling usage. Energy is almost always better spent on abilities. I think the damage modifier for channeling would need a significant buff to make the decision to use it more worthwhile.

Or perhaps better scaling content where enemies become tough enough to justify wasting energy on channeling. Why waste energy on channel kills when you can kill from range with a gun? What's the tradeoff? What's the reward for the extra risk (melee range/energy consumption)? 

5 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

That's because he has already moved on to DA POWA of Healing Return.   Mwuhahahahahahaha

Life Strike > Healing Return

4 minutes ago, IIDMOII said:

I'm worried about keybinds too. I'm already struggling with some actions.

Currently I have Channeling bound to 'R'. Same button as reload. No reloads during melee so the game recognizes the dual bind. Works great for me.

My concern is that channeling becomes more useful, we feel forced to use it and end up fighting with keybinds. Currently channeling isn't super useful on most builds so it doesn't get used often. 

Let's face it. Energy isnt abundant enough to support long term channeling usage. Energy is almost always better spent on abilities. I think the damage modifier for channeling would need a significant buff to make the decision to use it more worthwhile.

Or perhaps better scaling content where enemies become tough enough to justify wasting energy on channeling. Why waste energy on channel kills when you can kill from range with a gun? What's the tradeoff? What's the reward for the extra risk (melee range/energy consumption)? 

I take it you’re not familiar with my patented Incredibly Stupid Berserk Pants On Head Damage Reactor Melee Ember build?

6 minutes ago, Amhiel said:

If I understood correctly the tweets and some things they showed in past devstreams, the way it works is: you're shooting enemies normally, press melee and you instantly go straight to full melee with combos, blocking and everything active right away. While in melee you press fire and go back instantly to the last weapon you used and start shooting right away. If this is how it works, I love it. The only thing is we'll need to rebind channeling to a different key, which honestly it's not much of a hustle. 

Personally I have melee and quick melee bind to the same button and I never had any problems doing that. In fact with this change both should be merged together (some people seemed worried about that).

Overall I think it's a very positive change. 

The thing that actually worries me about melee 3.0 is what will the combo system become and what will happen to bloodbrush, weeping wounds, etc. 

I agree with this.  It seems like it will be smoother transitions over all.  Especially on controllers which I use.  Changing the keybind of channeling should be too much of an issue.  

edit: @BornWithTeeth. NEVER!!!! 😁 

Edited by DatDarkOne