Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

*UPDATED* DE Steve tweet: Melee incremental upgrade phase #1. Melee Rework. New Fx and Melee 2.9 Dev Workshop Friday.

(XBOX)YoungGunn82

1 hour ago, Amhiel said:

If I understood correctly the tweets and some things they showed in past devstreams, the way it works is: you're shooting enemies normally, press melee and you instantly go straight to full melee with combos, blocking and everything active right away. While in melee you press fire and go back instantly to the last weapon you used and start shooting right away. If this is how it works, I love it. The only thing is we'll need to rebind channeling to a different key, which honestly it's not much of a hustle. 

Personally I have melee and quick melee bind to the same button and I never had any problems doing that. In fact with this change both should be merged together (some people seemed worried about that).

Overall I think it's a very positive change. 

The thing that actually worries me about melee 3.0 is what will the combo system become and what will happen to bloodbrush, weeping wounds, etc. 

Same, it would be unfortunate if blood rush got killed and condition overload was the only way to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Pity we might not be seeing that Devil-trigger like mode though.

People are way more onboard than I am about this. Devil trigger would take the place of channeling from discussion. So you'd have to work up some combo counter esque resource to activate it, like baruuk's exalted I'm guessing. Channeling for me is life strike and exodia brave. Both are infrequent use abilities to full heal in 1 swing or to start some energy regen with a 5 energy channel strike to regain 20 energy over the next 4 seconds. I woudn't want to activate them for 15 or so seconds at a time, just for 1 swing. Also I don't want to have to stand still to activate channeling with whatever preview animation they showed back in July. I just wanna stab stuff, heal, and get energy, while sacrificing energy if it doesn't kill the target.

2 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Why not just rebind melee channeling to the alt fire key, seeing as that’s not used by any other melee functions?

For controller alt fire is clicking the right thumbstick. Quick melee is B button. Can't press both at once. For PC makes sense though.

1 minute ago, Lewtenant said:

People are way more onboard than I am about this. Devil trigger would take the place of channeling from discussion. So you'd have to work up some combo counter esque resource to activate it, like baruuk's exalted I'm guessing. Channeling for me is life strike and exodia brave. Both are infrequent use abilities to full heal in 1 swing or to start some energy regen with a 5 energy channel strike to regain 20 energy over the next 4 seconds. I woudn't want to activate them for 15 or so seconds at a time, just for 1 swing. Also I don't want to have to stand still to activate channeling with whatever preview animation they showed back in July. I just wanna stab stuff, heal, and get energy, while sacrificing energy if it doesn't kill the target.

Well, on further read this doesn't seem to be the full melee 3.0 - more like a 2.5.

So I suppose this is still up in the air.

29 minutes ago, Lewtenant said:

For controller alt fire is clicking the right thumbstick. Quick melee is B button. Can't press both at once. For PC makes sense though.

I'm appreciating my Elite Controller more and more.  Because doing just that is possible with it.  😁 

• Like 1

I am partly optimistic but have some concern about it.

I am mostly using the quick melee because it is fast enough to kill hordes so fast and easier to press the E button than using different moves as combo.

For me the ¬ button before the 1 is the chanelling but I binded this also to Z button which is a close enough if needs to kill something bigger but in a heavy fire with many enemies around the best option the quick melee or run away if there are too much. I personally feel the chanelling a slow and energy wasting option so any changes can speed it up is a welcomable addition but I personally feel the chanelling should not use energy but it could be useful to integrate a new system into it like the stamina was a thing.

If the chanelling using a different " energy " which regenerate itself " you rest " is a much better option because you can use it without fear to deplete your normal energy.

The speed on the weapons needs to be adjusted so the chanelling animations would not be slow and stop your motion so if I understand it right then Steve and the team working on to make it more fluid which is a nice addition but personally the binding is not bothers me because it was not a major problem for me at all.

What I would like to see in the phase 1 too some qol changes on the weapons " not nerfing the range " because each weapon type has a normal range on it's own kind so logically a dagger cannot be as long as a staff but the dagger could be faster and you could use better finishers with that etc.

I guess that will be the phase 2-3 but I hope they will do it right because I mostly use melee. We will see in action but we should wait with the judging.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Sounds like quick melee is dead, so guess I won't be using melee anymore then.

I believe what'll happen is you quick melee which pulls out your melee instantly, and then you can shoot to go right back to whatever gun you had instantly. Instantly is the word he used on twitter, so it should still be quick enough.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lewtenant said:

I believe that the way devil trigger works is pretty much exactly what I said I was afraid of: a melee system which looks cool but is overall just much less functional.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolDudeMcCool said:

I believe what'll happen is you quick melee which pulls out your melee instantly, and then you can shoot to go right back to whatever gun you had instantly. Instantly is the word he used on twitter, so it should still be quick enough.

Then I hope they figure out the bindings better, cause I only had quick melee on E, normal melee attack was on left click, just like shooting, and that sounds like it will conflict.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

I believe that the way devil trigger works is pretty much exactly what I said I was afraid of: a melee system which looks cool but is overall just much less functional.

Since I don't use Life Strike, my channeled attacks don't heavily drain my energy even while in Prowl. Which has lead to me using channeled attacks in a somewhat similar manner to devil trigger in a way.  

I'm saying this only because it won't be a problem for me at all, but I can see how those that use Life Strike might be affected.  Looks to me like the "meta" is going to change.  😁 

2 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

Since I don't use Life Strike, my channeled attacks don't heavily drain my energy even while in Prowl. Which has lead to me using channeled attacks in a somewhat similar manner to devil trigger in a way.  

I'm saying this only because it won't be a problem for me at all, but I can see how those that use Life Strike might be affected.  Looks to me like the "meta" is going to change.  😁 

Not just that, but having to stand still for a second and 'power up' to activate it at all?

Again, dude, sounds it won't be a problem for you, but...I'd kinda hate to see the melee system built around the idea that in a situation where you suddenly and seriously need to hit harder in melee, the first thing you do is stand still and take a moment to power up.

Like I said, a melee system designed to look cinematic and cool but which is actually just clunky and less effective to use is....not great.

Let's hope they prioritise gameplay over aesthetics.

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Well, let's think about it as a Devil Trigger.

It might be that once you get past a certain threshold you can turn it on and turn it off whenever - just like DMC's Devil Trigger. Which means it might wind up working similarly to now, just not costing energy.

The 'DT' isn't showing up in this update and we have no information. Hell, we don't even know if it's going to appear at all right now.

20 minutes ago, CoolDudeMcCool said:

believe what'll happen is you quick melee which pulls out your melee instantly, and then you can shoot to go right back to whatever gun you had instantly. Instantly is the word he used on twitter, so it should still be quick enough

So sounds like a huge buff to gun blades? Being able to use your secondary then to charge shot, charge shot and right back to secondary sounds like a nice little buff..

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

1 minute ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Not just that, but having to stand still for a second and 'power up' to activate it at all?

I doubt it will be that way.  So far I have been satisfied with changes and ideas that Steve himself have added.  I say this because his past streams have shown him actually play testing them in game to see how things flow.  

14 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

Then I hope they figure out the bindings better, cause I only had quick melee on E, normal melee attack was on left click, just like shooting, and that sounds like it will conflict.

same

and i really don't like the sound of it by what i understood from those tweets... when i click M ( for me ) i switch to full melee and the primary fire i use for guns etc is used for melee attacks since they don't conflict now

30 minutes ago, Lewtenant said:

You can already do this with gun blades. They're the only melee that can charge attack from a quick melee.

You can instantly go from secondary to charged shot but there is a bit of hesitation between switching back from melee charge shot to your secondary for example.

Edit: Just sounds like the holstering or little flip with the gun blade before holstering will be cancelled. A seamless transition. 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82
  • Like 1

I notice people forgetting one exceedingly cool thing they got going: pistol-glaive combos. And the faint promise of rolling it out for other weapons like daggers. 

I love using that on basically everything I can because it's just extra compared to all the rest. I just wish thrown glaives at the very least restarted the countdown timer to combo counter reset. 

But again, how will the new Melee system interact with the weapon combos? Will those be removed? And as others have pointed out, what about those who have rebound their melee attack key in Melee to the actual fire key? 

Possibility for the later is that it does nothing. If you have them set up in a way that the standard fire key is your melee attack and thus you can sort of keybind yourself out of that "fire to switch to weapon" system. 

The community: We want faster weapon switching. Why can't it just be instant?

Also the community: wow, that's too fast. Also why are you making it harder to channel, a system being retired because it has literally no use for most people outside Life Strike?

20 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

The community: We want faster weapon switching. Why can't it just be instant?

Also the community: wow, that's too fast. Also why are you making it harder to channel, a system being retired because it has literally no use for most people outside Life Strike?

I see someone else has also noticed the fickle nature of the forum denizens as well.  Congratz fellow Tenno.  😈 

• Like 1