Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

*UPDATED* DE Steve tweet: Melee incremental upgrade phase #1. Melee Rework. New Fx and Melee 2.9 Dev Workshop Friday.

(XBOX)YoungGunn82

3 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

I block all the time.

I would find a style like @Loza03 has mentioned completely un-engaging...That's just me though.

I'm one of the few who doesn't like this new change at all. But it's so obvious most of these people here and on Twitter rarely equip their melee. They didn't even realize that animation in the video was old. That's how little they pull out their melee weapons. I don't like spamming E to swing my melee weapon, and I don't like using guns in Warframe, mainly because I'm use to shooters where your gun is always pointed forward. I also don't like many of Warframe's guns. I'm definitely one of those players that prefers a dedicated melee mode. But I can't say I'm surprised. Ever since Reb mentioned changing quick melee, I had a suspicion that they were basically reworking melee around quick melee and gun play. And that's basically what this is.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

blocking by looking at your attacker. hmm could be a nice QoL could be a absolute nightmare.

Personally, from my personal experience of a similar system, it's... neither. It's helpful sometimes but in a fast-paced action game there's rarely much cause. Especially not right now where it's not a 100% block

I also happen to block a fair bit, but mostly when bearing down on a target. It'll be a force of habit shift at first I'm sure, but I'm equally sure I'll get used to it sooner or later.

44 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

Blocking is now an automatic cone - aim at the attacker and you'll block. There is no separate 'melee mode' with all its separate button meanings. Our goal is to merge the power/gun/blade, to bring them closer."

Ah just like Excalibur's Exalted Blade. As with all new changes like these, I eagerly anticipate its arrival considering how juicy the effects are.

8 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I'm gonna assume the auto-block only happens when the melee weapon is drawn.

That aside, I don't know whether I should be hyped or indifferent. I hardly use dedicated melee, so...

Maybe slightly concerned. Some stances actually move faster/fluid with quick-melee instead of dedicated melee. Let's hope the full version of Melee 3.0 could change that.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

blocking by looking at your attacker. hmm could be a nice QoL could be a absolute nightmare.

Melee is a complete snoozefest now without interplay imo. Blocking allows me that interplay.

I won't know until I have tried it out of course but I am not digging what I am hearing so far.

...That also means Parry is gone then too right?

Just now, Gamma745 said:

Some stances actually move faster/fluid with quick-melee instead of dedicated melee. Let's hope the full version of Melee 3.0 could change that.

From what we saw of the full melee 3.0 (AKA the part where they actually start changing combos, stats etc.) way back when, that does seem like it will be addressed (Movement combos didn't seem like they'd inhibit movement at all).

Of course, blocking going away throws a lot of that out the window since we don't have block to initiate that gap closer combo chain, so full melee 3.0 will almost certainly be dramatically different when we finally do get it.

I am still wondering how this mode would be able to fit on controllers. As far as I can tell this doesn't seem to be addressed, and from my own experience Controller buttons are prime real estate and even now, with a system that features more frugal utilization of buttons to control assignments, it can be hard to make them fit without compromises.

• Like 1

my main concern about this faster weapon switching is that, are the going to remove charge attacks or something. i enjoyed the idea they had with heavy attacks and if they did it right then you could save those heavy attacks for the big enemy units and have small attacks for most of the general enemies. where is the heavy attacks going to be since they switched from having the idea of having heavy strikes as mouse 1 to instant switch from melee to gunplay? 

anyways i know people didn't like the idea of the charge attacks consuming the combo duration and only having heavy attacks effected by it, but providing it was one of those it turned out ok to good imagine how satisfying it would be to getsuga tenshou (figuratively speaking) a group of enemies with a powerful swing.

12 minutes ago, Urlan said:

I am still wondering how this mode would be able to fit on controllers. As far as I can tell this doesn't seem to be addressed, and from my own experience Controller buttons are prime real estate and even now, with a system that features more frugal utilization of buttons to control assignments, it can be hard to make them fit without compromises.

How so? its using fewer buttons and stance combos shown in dec was already being demoed on a controller. And with 3 console builds Im sure controller real estate has been a factor in stripping complexity and combining systems.

Gap closing combos could be swapped to crouching start since blocking is going away.

But is also why they are doing in is stages so if anything drastic needs changing, they wouldnt have sunk all that time into everything at once.

Edited by Firetempest
  • Like 1

Try it to load up your current controller build  @Firetempest the combos are being stripped down yes, forward combo, standstill combo, and lunge (Block + attack) which is going to have to get a new assignment per this information of course, but that was per the previous video yes. The problem is that when you are using a controller, assignments like say block or channel might be assigned to buttons that for melee mode - which is swapped to active with holding the singular button for swapping weapons currently - maybe the trigger buttons for example. Now, per that video the channel - which at the time was being removed - was instead swapped to heavy strike, a new type of attack sharing animations with Charge Attack. The problem comes when we factor in that we are not just changing a few buttons but pulling active melee from the swap buttons and making it always active as gun or quick melee currently - this makes it so we can't share buttons that are context sensitive like before, and we still have to take into consideration Channel - which is currently still staying - and heavy strike being added on! Now, as far as I can figure it, this leaves you with having to narrow powers down to a toggle through one way, say on the D-pad; while having reload and activate on the same shared button to get the heavy strike on there if we keep channeling and just keep controllers as is. With the additional buttons that can't share on the triggers, due needing to be active during both gun and melee modes, one would need a controller with additional assignable buttons not normally available; perhaps the Xbox One Elite if someone made custom drivers for it,  but for now the extra paddles just act as 'shortcuts' for certain button presses or combinations rather than unique button assignments themselves. Perhaps the tough pad on the PS4 controllers? I don't think I have made use of that in a unique non-shared configuration but would love to know if that was possible as an option for users going forward.

30 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

From what we saw of the full melee 3.0 (AKA the part where they actually start changing combos, stats etc.) way back when, that does seem like it will be addressed (Movement combos didn't seem like they'd inhibit movement at all).

That is good news.

31 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Of course, blocking going away throws a lot of that out the window since we don't have block to initiate that gap closer combo chain, so full melee 3.0 will almost certainly be dramatically different when we finally do get it.

Well, we haven't got all details yet after all. But I suppose it doesn't sound bad so far.

7 minutes ago, Urlan said:

perhaps the Xbox One Elite if someone made custom drivers for it,  but for now the extra paddles just act as 'shortcuts' for certain button presses or combinations rather than unique button assignments themselves.

There's already a program that does that.  I just never bothered to get it as the normal elite config tool works just fine for me.

2 hours ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

No seriously, I forgot we could. 

The reason most people forget about blocking is because outside of maybe Exalted Blade or a Silva/Aegis prime modded for it, the overall damage economics of it are still strictly worse than bullet jumping around like a madman to avoid getting shot in the first place.

With blocking being a passive trait of Melee 3.0 it will have a greater measure of impact since it can catch bullets that might hit you while dodging and also won't force you into a glide as mid-air blocking does currently.