(NSW)jja209

Nihilism is an objective truth that humanity refuses to believe in

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, (NSW)jja209 said:

Dude if I was a snowflake you wouldn’t be here commenting.

Is that so?

Just now, (NSW)jja209 said:

Your comments would have been deleted.

You have that power, do you?

1 minute ago, (NSW)jja209 said:

But guess what your still here.

Oh thank you, almightly jja209, however will I repay you? bows.

Would you perhaps like me to kiss your shoes? Maybe let you use my back as a stool or coffee table? May I worship the ground you walk upon?

Or, better yet, maybe you'd like to lounge on a sofa whilst I fan you? Can't have you melting can we. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Is that so?

You have that power, do you?

Oh thank you, almightly jja209, however will I repay you? bows.

Would you perhaps like me to kiss your shoes? Maybe let you use my back as a stool or coffee table? May I worship the ground you walk upon?

Or, better yet, maybe you'd like to lounge on a sofa whilst I fan you? Can't have you melting can we. :wink:

Your hatred for me is unreal but ok then whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, (NSW)jja209 said:

Your hatred for me is unreal but ok then whatever.

:crylaugh:

How on Earth have you arrived at the conclusion that it's hatred? I don't know you, I don't care to know you. I don't have enough information to justify such an emotion.

My response is based on rationale. I read your posts, I think either you're mistaken about how you feel, or you're using a fancy word to sound cool, hence my usage of the term bombast earlier.

You asked for a debate on the matter, this is my response.

Furthermore, may I point out that if you really were a nihilist you wouldn't care about my responses to you. Certainly not enough to respond after an 8 hour pause, and certainly not with so much emotion (It can be argued that your accusation that I hate you is a form of projection, which is emotional). You're really rather reaffirming my opinion that you're just a pessimist passing it off as nihilism if I'm honest.

This is fun though, me retorting, you cowering, accusing and threatening. Keep trying, please.

Edited by DeMonkey
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

:crylaugh:

How on Earth have you arrived at the conclusion that it's hatred? I don't know you, I don't care to know you. I don't have enough information to justify such an emotion.

My response is based on rationale. I read your posts, I think either you're mistaken about how you feel, or you're using a fancy word to sound cool, hence my usage of the term bombast earlier.

You asked for a debate on the matter, this is my response.

Furthermore, may I point out that if you really were a nihilist you wouldn't care about my responses to you. Certainly not enough to respond after an 8 hour pause, and certainly not with so much emotion (It can be argued that your accusation that I hate you is a form of projection, which is emotional). You're really rather reaffirming my opinion that you're just a pessimist passing it off as nihilism if I'm honest.

Well maybe you got a point. I am a pessimist instead idk.But what I am doesn’t matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, (NSW)jja209 said:

But what I am doesn’t matter.

Of course it matters, especially when that's the basis you make the thread under. Nihilism is... basically an existential crisis from what I can see, and frankly I wouldn't know where to begin with it. Ever seen or read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Marvin is, from what I recall, a textbook nihilist, although is never referred to as such. Instead he's referred to as incredibly depressed.

Pessimism is much more benign, and whilst it's largely unhealthy (imo) it's certainly something that is worth overcoming.

Because at the end of the day, no matter how rationally you look at things, happiness is good, objectively speaking. We all feel it, there is no merit in discussing whether such a feeling exists or not, as even if such a feeling is but a figment of our imagination... so what? It's still a good feeling. You have limited time on this Earth, and yes, chances are nothing you do will be of any ultimate value, personal gain is obviously temporary so why not just focus on personal enjoyment?

You play video games, you do that because you enjoy them, essentially you are already working on personal enjoyment, you already have a goal/meaning in life. Continue doing that, "waste" your life if you want to (waste being an arguable term ofc, given, as stated, we're unlikely to do anything "meaningful"), just enjoy it whilst it lasts. That is the truest meaning of life as far as I'm, and frankly everyone else, should be concerned.

It took me many years to realise this.

  • Like 2
  • Satisfied 2
  • Applause 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Of course it matters, especially when that's the basis you make the thread under. Nihilism is... basically an existential crisis from what I can see, and frankly I wouldn't know where to begin with it. Ever seen or read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Marvin is, from what I recall, a textbook nihilist, although is never referred to as such. Instead he's referred to as incredibly depressed.

Pessimism is much more benign, and whilst it's largely unhealthy (imo) it's certainly something that is worth overcoming.

Because at the end of the day, no matter how rationally you look at things, happiness is good, objectively speaking. We all feel it, there is no merit in discussing whether such a feeling exists or not, as even if such a feeling is but a figment of our imagination... so what? It's still a good feeling. You have limited time on this Earth, and yes, chances are nothing you do will be of any ultimate value, personal gain is obviously temporary so why not just focus on personal enjoyment?

You play video games, you do that because you enjoy them, essentially you are already working on personal enjoyment, you already have a goal/meaning in life. Continue doing that, "waste" your life if you want to (waste being an arguable term ofc, given, as stated, we're unlikely to do anything "meaningful"), just enjoy it whilst it lasts. That is the truest meaning of life as far as I'm, and frankly everyone else, should be concerned.

It took me many years to realise this.

you can say all this stuff but we all deny the objective truth that hitting people with factual arguments doesnt matter cus pessimism is nihilism and everything is nihilism and not nihilism at the same time. and why would you listen to facts when you can listen to a dude who talked about killing the god? psssssh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

you can say all this stuff but we all deny the objective truth that hitting people with factual arguments doesnt matter cus pessimism is nihilism and everything is nihilism and not nihilism at the same time.

Are you okay? :clem:

2 minutes ago, Zeclem said:

and why would you listen to facts when you can listen to a dude who talked about killing the god? psssssh

Tbh, facts be damned. We should all just nominate me forum president.

That way I get to decide what is actually fact and what isn't, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

Are you okay? :clem:

im afraid not, mr monkey main. the game i want to play is still under maintenance and i am hungry, therefore, i am not okay.

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

Tbh, facts be damned. We should all just nominate me forum president.

That way I get to decide what is actually fact and what isn't, right?

i'd support that. i even have the slogan ready:"Time to show them the Monkey Business!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

Of course it matters, especially when that's the basis you make the thread under. Nihilism is... basically an existential crisis from what I can see, and frankly I wouldn't know where to begin with it. Ever seen or read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Marvin is, from what I recall, a textbook nihilist, although is never referred to as such. Instead he's referred to as incredibly depressed.

Pessimism is much more benign, and whilst it's largely unhealthy (imo) it's certainly something that is worth overcoming.

Because at the end of the day, no matter how rationally you look at things, happiness is good, objectively speaking. We all feel it, there is no merit in discussing whether such a feeling exists or not, as even if such a feeling is but a figment of our imagination... so what? It's still a good feeling. You have limited time on this Earth, and yes, chances are nothing you do will be of any ultimate value, personal gain is obviously temporary so why not just focus on personal enjoyment?

You play video games, you do that because you enjoy them, essentially you are already working on personal enjoyment, you already have a goal/meaning in life. Continue doing that, "waste" your life if you want to (waste being an arguable term ofc, given, as stated, we're unlikely to do anything "meaningful"), just enjoy it whilst it lasts. That is the truest meaning of life as far as I'm, and frankly everyone else, should be concerned.

It took me many years to realise this.

Wow I think you have managed to convince me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

tenor.gif

I was enjoying my snickerdoodle coffee and you have to go a write this. 

you are welcome. so am i.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Life can have meaning, even if there is no intrinsic meaning to it all. What drives you forward? That can be the meaning for you. For me, it is SPITE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Xirka said:

Life can have meaning, even if there is no intrinsic meaning to it all. What drives you forward? That can be the meaning for you. For me, it is SPITE!

What if nothing drives you forward?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, (XB1)peachfarmers said:

What if nothing drives you forward?

Then you've invented an inertialess drive, and you derive satisfaction from giving physics the middle finger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, (XB1)peachfarmers said:

What if nothing drives you forward?

Choose to let spite drive you then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xirka said:

Choose to let spite drive you then.

Spite is the disire to hurt and cause pain.Why would I want that? Well I used to feel that way when I was in high school.Then I found someone special that I deeply care about on warframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was kind of enjoyable to read this topic 🙂

I know it's not really interesting but I once hear a sentence like this:
" Life is a dream we're living in; [one of] our purpose is to pass it to the next generation "
With such statement, we're following the rule/order given by Life itself to give a chance to our specie to survive this universe. Doing so, it is placing us on some paths where we should be more or less free (while still limited by Univers' rules & or own limits) to shape this world into what we want - and we would like a better place, for both the future & ourselves, because it's a dream to cherish.

So yeah... we're litteral "star child" / "stardust", but able to play around in a sandbox for two main reasons: our own pleasure & a wish for the future.

That's why I'm a bit curious about the Warframe Universe; where I truly find our (Tennos) actions as unrequired, adding difficulty for everyone & not constructive. I made theories about the New War seeking different ways for the Solar System to be a "better place" where Life could flourish without Corruption (infestation) and/or Poison (grineer - corpus) - the main issues being the Tennos able to make every situations even worst & the Sentients most likely supposed to look for a genocidal way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, (XB1)peachfarmers said:

Spite is the disire to hurt and cause pain.Why would I want that? Well I used to feel that way when I was in high school.Then I found someone special that I deeply care about on warframe.

You can always choose to spite those who have wronged you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Pessimism is much more benign, and whilst it's largely unhealthy (imo) it's certainly something that is worth overcoming.

I don't see Pessimism as unhealthy. At least not on its own.

In the classic glass half empty, glass half full situation for example. Glass half full might mean that you're appreciating what you've got, but glass half empty means you go find more to drink. Which, depending on the situation, might be the better option. For example - survival. Reckoning that you've still got half your supply of water left in a desert and not prioritising finding more can, in that extreme scenario, be very unhealthy.

The same's true of modern life. Assuming everything's going to turn out OK can lead to you not trying (by virtue of an overconfident devil-may-care attitude) just the same way as pessimistically assuming you can't succeed and not bothering to try.

Neither is inherently unhealthy, there's a balance to everything. It's the lack thereof that's unhealthy, not Pessimism or Optimism themselves.

  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I don't see Pessimism as unhealthy. At least not on its own.

In the classic glass half empty, glass half full situation for example. Glass half full might mean that you're appreciating what you've got, but glass half empty means you go find more to drink. Which, depending on the situation, might be the better option. For example - survival. Reckoning that you've still got half your supply of water left in a desert and not prioritising finding more can, in that extreme scenario, be very unhealthy.

The same's true of modern life. Assuming everything's going to turn out OK can lead to you not trying (by virtue of an overconfident devil-may-care attitude) just the same way as pessimistically assuming you can't succeed and not bothering to try.

Neither is inherently unhealthy, there's a balance to everything. It's the lack thereof that's unhealthy, not Pessimism or Optimism themselves.

I'd class that as realism more than pessimism tbh. :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

I'd class that as realism more than pessimism tbh. :tongue:

Maybe. But it does involve seeing the worst aspects of things. Looking at something and expecting the worst outcome. Which is what the internet seems to define pessimism as. Though I would still agree with you that it's realism. To me, that's further evidence that Pessimism and Optimism are only unhealthy in isolation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realism is the only healthy way to think. Optimism and Pessimism are both unrealistic perceptions of the world around oneself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now