Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vacuum robots for dojo?

NotSoUnHappy

Hell, I'm NotSoUnHappy and i am here on behalf of my clan The fellowship of the thing, we are greatly invested in our believed dojo, but we find that we are struggling to keep the place clean, which is why we wanted to bring up this great idea we had and share it with the community.  

In the most recent dev stream#123, a single tile from the gas city was shown and in this tile was a small robot cleaning the floors, and at that exact moment we all thought the same thing i want one of those, So we wanted to ask other people do you also want a vacuum cleaner robot in your dojo if so tell us below, and tell DE on the next dev stream. 

Edited by NotSoUnHappy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

Would love to see a few of these 'NPCs' wandering around our dojos but how will their pathfinding work considering the different dojos with different sized rooms and obstacles all-over the place and such? From what I saw, that drone had it's own square piece of floor to move around in 

My guess is that the solution would be that they would be restricted to whatever room they were placed in. Not sure if each room would have to have a static path for them to roam or if they could be more dynamic like other NPCs (especially on the plains/vallis). If they made static paths perhaps they could be made link-able, in the sense that the "rails" of the path in one room would circulate by all doors and automatically link up if there was a room with a static path built on the other side of the door.

Edit: Also, as for decorations/objects in the way, the path/rail could be treated like a physical object with dimensions covering the largest NPC intended to follow it. Objects intersecting with that space could be flagged as such and disallow placement of an NPC until the intersecting objects were moved. That's my best guess, off the cuff.

Admittedly, that last bit is quite a bit of work to do for a roomba, but it could help set things up for other NPCs in dojos, which I've always hoped for.

Edited by Axtremulus
Forgot to mention something.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Axtremulus said:

My guess is that the solution would be that they would be restricted to whatever room they were placed in. Not sure if each room would have to have a static path for them to roam or if they could be more dynamic like other NPCs (especially on the plains/vallis). If they made static paths perhaps they could be made link-able, in the sense that the "rails" of the path in one room would circulate by all doors and automatically link up if there was a room with a static path built on the other side of the door.

Edit: Also, as for decorations/objects in the way, the path/rail could be treated like a physical object with dimensions covering the largest NPC intended to follow it. Objects intersecting with that space could be flagged as such and disallow placement of an NPC until the intersecting objects were moved. That's my best guess, off the cuff.

Admittedly, that last bit is quite a bit of work to do for a roomba, but it could help set things up for other NPCs in dojos, which I've always hoped for.

As yeah I can see a invisible 'train track' kind of thing working here that the decorators can place in horizontal, vertical or slanted lines either in one room only or able to go through doors as you mentioned, and the cleaner not will follow those lines over and over, would be fun to watch lol