Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Closing threads due to misinterpretation of language, claiming "not constructive" by default

CazadorDeWulf

Title, self-explanatory. Can't seem to speak out on the narrative of how we, the players, should report bugs, or how we expect the developer to respond. There is vicious strawmanning that any narrative of this kind is bashing the developer, or somehow provoking a flame war. Worst of all, is interpreting these kinds of narratives as "they never do anything" when it is of the contrary, they are doing too much and can't seem to get around to the little things. That's not at all a disparaging remark and I am scared that I will receive some sort of disproportionate punishment for even creating a thread halfway critical of DE, perhaps because the title was not to their liking or suggested something that was not real.

I am just frustrated, because people seem to intentionally misinterpret what is written in order to attack, argue, or in this particular case, entirely lock down a thread. Sorry if I offended anyone writing this, but there is absolutely no offense intended or bias on my part for "muh bug not fixed!!1". It's just a fact that we are sloppy on the bug report forums and don't make it very easy, most of the time, and that leads to some small bugs not being addressed/acknowledged. I understand fully, 100%, that not every bug will get fixed in every patch, that is not the point of starting this narrative, and I am afraid that is what moderators see whenever anything is spoken about the subject. As a matter of fact, it is exclusively that you can find several examples of a reported bug that was reported poorly, and perhaps as a consequence received no response, or even further was not a part of subsequent patches. That's ok and I really have nothing else to say.

If you read this and you think I'm bashing anyone(besides the mods who are either discriminating or targeting specific narratives), I urge you, read again, understand the point of this. Venting frustration. Off-topic. DE is fine. You are fine. Please, relax with the closure of threads....

8 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

If you have a problem with the locking of your thread, contact the moderator. It's between you and them.

I don't agree with censorship. I know I'm not the only person who has ever said something that was taken the wrong way, and reacted to disproportionately.

3 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

I don't agree with censorship. I know I'm not the only person who has ever said something that was taken the wrong way, and reacted to disproportionately.

Whether we agree with censorship or not is irrelevant.

I've explained how you should proceed.

• Like 2

As if there is a problem with the way I already have? What is the point of doing things your way?

I wouldn't be surprised to find that you are an extension of the very issue which is driving this censorship to be. I don't suppose you've reported this topic for being non-constructive, as well, despite being in the only subforum it is appropriate to be off-topic in? And I also suppose that venting frustration is looked down upon, even when it is formed into a rational set of paragraphs, rather than the typical forum-rage response? I just can't even. Don't even want me to vent....

Edited by CazadorDeWulf

11 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

As if there is a problem with the way I already have?

Correct, I have already outlined the problem. The issue is between you and the moderator.

What is the point of doing things your way?

It's the correct way, as it's the only way that will help your situation.

Don't even want me to vent....

Not particularly.

10 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

You are only presenting options you feel I should have taken instead. 

I'm presenting the only option that will actually get something done.

10 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

What's done is done, and I've accomplished my goal of venting. The point is not to go further on the matter.

Then you don't care that much about your original topic (which begs the question why you cared enough to make this one), and by your own admittance this thread isn't constructive. What happens when this one is removed as well? Will you create another one venting about that?

And if this is simply a case of catharsis, you need to find a better way of going about it than essentially whinging in public. Just saying.

Yell at a pillow or something.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Did you...did you come to Off Topic to post a rant about forum moderation policies, and then pick a fight with someone who's trying to point out where you went wrong and how to fix it?

I don't see where or how I picked the fight.

5 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

You've proven why censorship exists.

You're just insulting me for the content of my rant. You're probably somewhat annoyed that I didn't just go, "Sure, I'll follow that advice!" and then escalate the matter further than this one post. You are keeping the post relevant, which is imo trolling...

4 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

You're just insulting me for the content of my rant

You were insulted by that? Bloody hell...

Shall we call it venting? Let's say I am actually annoyed by you, frustrated even, surely it's therefore 100% acceptable?

Your logic doesn't hold up.

4 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

which is imo trolling

Nah, trolling is when you create a guideline breaking topic with the intent to whinge and waste everyone's time, only to ignore proffered advice on how you could actually rectify your issue.

I will admit, I am having a bit of fun now. 

• Like 3

You see it one way, I see it another. I would be more than willing to live and let live but apparently, trolling is excused around here for all but the most elite of society, who believe censorship is valid in light of an unpopular remark, or belief. You just claimed that I "am why censorship exists." If that is not an insulting remark, I don't know what is.

So I could get some context, I went back and read the thread that was locked. I could not even understand what point you were trying to get across. The only thing that stood out was you basically saying "devs don't care and that players just accept it." That thread wasn't constructive if it was meant to be feedback, and seemed to portray an "us vs them" attitude more than provide any insight. 

And yes, if you have an issue with moderation, you take it up with them and work something out. Arguing and accusing someone of being part of the problem surprisingly doesn't fix your issue.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

who believe censorship is valid in light of an unpopular remark, or belief

Sure. Totally.

I mean, I said it because you've not only broken the guidelines, but argued about it. Not due to any of your beliefs, but you totally take it there. That's not disingenuous at all. No no no.

9 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

You just claimed that I "am why censorship exists."

Yes, we have rules for a reason. Posts that don't meet these rules are generally deserving of censorship. Especially in this instance, wherein the rule in question is fair.

Complaints about forum moderation are between you and the moderator.

• Like 4

Okay, but locking threads, with a swarm of angry posters shouting that I did a bad thing, and no message from said moderators besides, and I am paraphrasing, "I interpret this as not constructive because it portrays an attitude", that is not how they should be addressing issues if they are truly rule breaking. I am very ignorant of the offense in question, clearly, and I don't know if that deserves such persecution from the community when I have gone out of my way to post in a not-so-troublesome manner; the only issue I see taken by all of you is that I am whining and you don't like whining. Is any whining against the guidelines? Are we obligated to go out of our way to report every post with a tone that can be interpreted as whining?

I tried to sound unbiased and equal, but sadly any sort of claim about DE is taken to extremes. No pun intended.

7 minutes ago, CazadorDeWulf said:

I tried to sound unbiased and equal, but sadly any sort of claim about DE is taken to extremes. No pun intended.

Incorrect. There are plenty of threads that have criticisms that aren't locked. The reason is is that they have an even ground for discussion by highlighting a problem, why it is a problem and sometimes suggestions to fix it without resorting to the age old "devs don't care/are lazy/ are incompetent" arguments. You didn't do any form of constructive criticism. I'll summarize your thread. 

"the bugs I found aren't getting fixed and the devs don't care because the players aren't yelling about it."

That's an outsiders perspective mind you. If that wasn't the intent, you missed the mark. 

Edited by Sajochi
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Serious question, are you blind?

Do you want this thread, and the premise behind my rant, to be validated further? You make it seem as though this thread should not be on the forums, but you bump it with questions such as this. Loaded, and implying that the basis of my argument was false based solely on this implication.