mobius13acon

why isnt there a consumable gear items, to resummon pets

so yhea, like the title says,

and i know we can pick up our pets of the ground while they're bleeding,

but even then it's not possible to do so at times, (2 bombards and a nox, on top of my fallen pet, for instance)

and then they're gone for the rest of the mission,

i wouldn't mind a gear item with a 1-time use when in game, or a really long cooldown.

i don't know if this is too much for the game or not, and i would like to hear your opinion about it.

Edited by mobius13acon

4 minutes ago, mobius13acon said:

but even then it's not possible to do so at times, (2 bombards and a nox, on top of my fallen pet, for instance)

And what about the scenerio is difficult? CC them. Kill them. Use your Operator.

4 minutes ago, mobius13acon said:

i wouldn't mind a gear item with a 1-time use when in game, or a really long cooldown.

One time use wouldn't change anything. If you lose your pet once, then you will most likely lose it again. No real point in having one respawn.
A long cooldown doesn't help either. A pet that isn't there for most of the mission is useless.
Just don't let it die. And if you fail to do so, then that's only on you. (I'm talking about normal cases of death. I'm not talking about the pet lying at the bottom of a pit where it's unreachable. That's a bug and not up for debate)

• Upvote 1

Why? Their utility was designed with the fact they will go down at some point unless you burn a revive. Address that, and you might convince DE to change it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Upvote 1

depends on how much DE value pets: personally I'd say it's a fair tradeoff, but there is another way to implement this; as a mod.

a mod that allows your pet to come back a few seconds after death would be fine, as it would men sacrificing a mod slot on your build. you wouldn't be able to have all your favourite precepts and mods and still have the revive as well, you'd have to choose, and I reckon it would be a tough choice in some cases. also it''d be something players would have to work for, farming the mod and ranking it up.

I have a better question: Why do pets/sentinels even take damage at all? Given that they're nothing more than QoL/utility mod carriers who do f*ck all otherwise, I fail to see how them occasionally dying without the player being able to do anything about it makes the game any more fun.

1 hour ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

there is another way to implement this; as a mod

That's DE's preferred solution to a lot of problems, but it has a problem of its own. Either that mod will be worth using, in which case it becomes mandatory and effectively turns into a nerf by removing a mod slot, or it won't be, in which case the problem remains unfixed. Augment mods are like this, all but a handful worthless, the rest mandatory.

Edited by SordidDreams

2 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

a mod that allows your pet to come back a few seconds after death would be fine, as it would men sacrificing a mod slot on your build. you wouldn't be able to have all your favourite precepts and mods and still have the revive as well, you'd have to choose, and I reckon it would be a tough choice in some cases. also it''d be something players would have to work for, farming the mod and ranking it up.

Sentinels have this (Regen & Primed Regen) so it wouldn't be much of a stretch. What's kind of funny is someone suggested a consumable item to recall your sentinel after death in the comments on the Regen page.

Pets have all sorts of health/shields/armor/healing mods, though, so if the OP is having trouble keeping their pet alive, perhaps they should get those and rank them up.

4 minutes ago, xyshift said:

Pets have all sorts of health/shields/armor/healing mods, though, so if the OP is having trouble keeping their pet alive, perhaps they should get those and rank them up.

The problem with those is that they're heavily dependent on your frame's stats. If you're playing Inaros, your pet is basically invincible. If you're playing something squishy, there's nothing you can do to keep it alive.

35 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

The problem with those is that they're heavily dependent on your frame's stats. If you're playing Inaros, your pet is basically invincible. If you're playing something squishy, there's nothing you can do to keep it alive.

True.. plus the pet is super squishy anyway when they are lower level, whether they are new or being forma'd. I don't normally use pets on my squishy frames (like Ivara - she uses an unarmed sentinel) mostly because my Link Health/etc mods are not maxed yet (hell, I don't even have my own Vitality maxed). But it's like all of our frames: we are not at our full potential until mods are maxed and we've forma'd a couple of times. At 6/10 link health and shields on Ivara, my level 16 kitty is at 765 health and 330 shields, which will only increase once they're maxed.. plus Medi-Pet Kit is a great one for pet survivability, along with Loyal Companion, Mischief (smeeta kavats only), Pack Leader, Tek Assault, and others that can be mixed & matched. 

I wouldn't take my kavat into a Kuva survival yet, but I've seen people who do without any trouble. My son takes his moa into sorties, on all of his frames (he likes to rotate through all of his frames - doesn't seem to matter who he pairs the moa with, it dashes around fine and only occasionally gets run over by a Kuva Guardian). Point being that sure, pets are easily taken out when they first start out, but can get much stronger if they're modded and forma'd, just like frames and weapons.

I'm not against having a gear item that could recall our pet, I'm just pointing out how the need to can be avoided. Medi-Pet is the single most useful mod on any pet for me, and helped this situation greatly. Learning how to get someone up quickly also helped, as did learning how to mod (everything, not just pets) correctly. Time spent in-game will naturally teach all those little things.

• Upvote 1

I would be all for a gear item to recall sentinels, but since we can vary unlimited everything in out great wheel, there would be practically no trade off at all. 

Not unless they cost arbitration points or something

You'll get it as soon they find a reasonably way to make you grind enough for it to make consider buying it straight from the market :p

We don't need a consumable. We need for the pets to synergize properly between frames.

But then there would be the issue of the Smeeta being the only pet used in 90% of cases.

You shouldnt really need more than health link, possibly armor link and pack leader to keep your pet going. A melee strike from time to time is more than enough to keep it topped off with health.

What is needed would be a way for us to actually rezz or heal our sentinels in some reliable way.

16 hours ago, xyshift said:

I wouldn't take my kavat into a Kuva survival yet, but I've seen people who do without any trouble. My son takes his moa into sorties, on all of his frames (he likes to rotate through all of his frames - doesn't seem to matter who he pairs the moa with, it dashes around fine and only occasionally gets run over by a Kuva Guardian). Point being that sure, pets are easily taken out when they first start out, but can get much stronger if they're modded and forma'd, just like frames and weapons.

I'm not against having a gear item that could recall our pet, I'm just pointing out how the need to can be avoided. Medi-Pet is the single most useful mod on any pet for me, and helped this situation greatly. Learning how to get someone up quickly also helped, as did learning how to mod (everything, not just pets) correctly. Time spent in-game will naturally teach all those little things.

I have done a whole bunch of kuva survivals as well as other high-level content. You're right that pets can be made much stronger through mods, my point is they can't be made strong enough, at least not on their own. The major problem I see is that pets scale with your own stats rather than inversely. It would make sense for squishy frames to have tanky pets to absorb some of the damage, and for tanky frames to have squishy pets that need protecting. But no, squishy frames have squishy pets that they can't afford to babysit and revive, and tanky frames have tanky pets they don't need.

Medi-Pet is frankly worthless. Even if you're playing something relatively squishy and your cat only has about 1.5k health, at 6 health/second that's still four minutes to heal from almost dead to full. That's eternity in WF. And that's to say nothing of playing Inaros and having a cat with 15k health, or 40 minutes to heal to full. Much better to use Pack Leader and shoot something with a Redeemer Prime once in a while to heal your pet to full instantly. If Medi-Pet was 60 health/second instead of 6, it would maybe be worth putting on. As it stands, not a chance.

Edited by SordidDreams

4 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

I have done a whole bunch of kuva survivals as well as other high-level content. You're right that pets can be made much stronger through mods, my point is they can't be made strong enough, at least not on their own. The major problem I see is that pets scale with your own stats rather than inversely. It would make sense for squishy frames to have tanky pets to absorb some of the damage, and for tanky frames to have squishy pets that need protecting. But no, squishy frames have squishy pets that they can't afford to babysit and revive, and tanky frames have tanky pets they don't need.

That would be an interesting dynamic. Although.. if I take a pet while playing Inaros, it's good to know there's no way he/she is going down and I can just concentrate on the mission. I play solo a lot and like to explore.

4 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

Medi-Pet is frankly worthless. Even if you're playing something relatively squishy and your cat only has about 1.5k health, at 6 health/second that's still four minutes to heal from almost dead to full. That's eternity in WF. And that's to say nothing of playing Inaros and having a cat with 15k health, or 40 minutes to heal to full. Much better to use Pack Leader and shoot something with a Redeemer Prime once in a while to heal your pet to full instantly. If Medi-Pet was 60 health/second instead of 6, it would maybe be worth putting on. As it stands, not a chance.

I use Medi-pet more for the extended bleedout timer than the heal - that way if they do go down, I have a chance to fight off whatever is surrounding them and get to them. The mod that puts up a shield (sanctuary?) when getting someone up helps, too. I haven't gotten the hang of using Pack Leader as I hardly ever melee, but I think I'll give that a shot and see how it does, so thanks for the reminder. Does that work using quick melee or do you have to have your melee weapon out?

13 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I would be all for a gear item to recall sentinels, but since we can vary unlimited everything in out great wheel, there would be practically no trade off at all. 

Not unless they cost arbitration points or something

The need for the gear item is greatest in the earlier MR levels I would think; by the time you've cleared the star chart you've most likely gotten the hang of modding the pet to the teeth and the number of times it actually dies are much less, if not non-existent. Then again, maybe that's just the way I play (I don't take them into missions where I'm pretty sure they'll get stomped). If I had the ability to recall them, I'd take them into more missions (I hate that yelp when they get hit though, so I'm not sure I'd actually use the item to recall them since I'd feel even worse if they died).

I do think a gear item like this would help newer players a lot. Depending on how many times they were recalled, kubrows could even refuse to come back at some point since they lose loyalty each time they die. That would be kind of funny - you use the item but get the message, "Fluffy refuses to join you without scratches and hugs to make up for dying 9 times already!"

On 2019-02-12 at 1:50 AM, xyshift said:

That would be an interesting dynamic. Although.. if I take a pet while playing Inaros, it's good to know there's no way he/she is going down and I can just concentrate on the mission. I play solo a lot and like to explore. 

I agree, not having to worry about pets is awesome. That's why I said earlier that IMO they should just be invincible. I don't see a downside. I don't think having to worry about your pet running into a group of enemies and getting itself killed makes the game any more fun, and while you could technically load up an invincible pet with damage mods and let it do all the work, such an exploit would make missions take orders of magnitude longer than just playing them normally, so not a big deal IMO.

On 2019-02-12 at 1:50 AM, xyshift said:

I haven't gotten the hang of using Pack Leader as I hardly ever melee, but I think I'll give that a shot and see how it does, so thanks for the reminder. Does that work using quick melee or do you have to have your melee weapon out?

Works with quick melee as well as with melee weapons that shoot (redeemer, sarpa). Not sure about exalted blade, never tested it.