Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which looter shooter in 2019? (WF, Anthem, Division 2, Destiny 2)

--END--Rikutatis

Finally it seems like there'll be some tough competition for the genre in 2019. Which one(s) are you guys planning on playing, and why? I know all the hype seems to be following Anthem, but I'm actually really excited about the Division 2's endgame and pvp, specially after playing the private beta this weekend. Some pros and cons of each game IMO:

1) Warframe: The best lore and art direction of them all, really fun gameplay and deep customization. But cons is the severe lack of challenge and endgame activities, including lack of meaningful pvp. The most casual of them all.  

2) Destiny 2: It has decent endgame in the form of pvp, raids and specially now with Gambit, but really shallow customization (probably the worst of them all). The main story is also pretty mediocre and lacks any challenge, but Bungie seems to be turning things around since Forsaken and making it better. 

3) Anthem: From the demos it appears to have deep customization, really fun gameplay and a solid enough endgame challenge with grandmaster strongholds, cataclysms, etc. Story is still up in the air, it has potential but I'm not holding my breath on it given Bioware's latest RPGs were lacking in that department. No pvp is a big downside for me though. 

4) Division 2: The only non-scifi of the bunch, story/lore seems to be a bit on the mediocre side of things IMO but serviceable. The gameplay is also the most fps "traditional" feeling of them all, with the cover and shoot mechanics which can feel a bit mundane compared to the others, but Division 2 improved gameplay a lot and got rid of the bullet sponge feel of the first. But it's strongest point for me is the very robust endgame Division 2 showed in the beta, with the most comprehensive pvp system of them all, 8-man raids, an entire endgame faction that invades the map, and also really smart and challenging enemy AI compared to the others (again, talking about 2, not 1, they improved a lot). For people who want endgame and challenge, this seems like the strongest contender so far.

Tbh, when i reached mr 10 . all ive been doing in WF is do sortie and thats it. Kinda boring for me nowadays since ive already finished all the story quest(excluding frame quests most of em). Sometimes i do bounties and rank stuff and thats it. Im planning on buying Anthem since it got same stuff but a "concrete" story quest, after a few months tho cos its still expensive AF in the first week, also im critical on the reviews. And if anthem dosent work for me then im heading back to my home game in steam, Dota2 :)

20 minutes ago, OnzaFTW said:

I can buy pretty much every tennogen skin in existence for the same price as one of those titles , soooooo ........yea

I wasn't aware that Anthem/Destiny2/Division2 cost in excess of $1,300.

Jeez, maybe people are right about them all just being greedy, charging that much for a single game.

Edited by DeMonkey

11 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

I wasn't aware that Anthem/Destiny2/Division2 cost in excess of $1,300.

Jeez, maybe people are right about them all just being greedy, charging that much for a single game.

I can buy pretty much every tennogen skin i want for the same price as one of those titles *  corrected 

Down with hyperbole i guess 😛 

I played the Anthem demo with mouse and keyboard and the gameplay felt awful. The mouse was totally unresponsive even with maxed sensitivity and the flying... I had to fly using the arrow keys to have just a little semblance of control, so I guess that says it all... If they fix that it has potential and maybe I'll give it a try when it goes on sale. It's fun how Anthem is by every possible metric a Chimera of Warframe and Destiny, and just now EA released a Chimera of Fortnite and Overwatch. 

To be honest I don't really like looters, I  like Warframe because of the gameplay, modding, aesthetics and story and all three of the others just look bland and boring on all those characteristics. 

TLDR; I'll try Anthem if they fix the controls and it goes on sale. 

EA alone is enough reason for me to not touch Anthem with a ten-foot pole, I don't care how good it is. Won't touch D2 either because of the terrible business model.

The Division seems decent enough but cover-based shooters are just not for me.

Edited by Guest

On 2019-02-11 at 1:55 PM, Castlefrost said:

Tbh, when i reached mr 10 . all ive been doing in WF is do sortie and thats it. Kinda boring for me nowadays since ive already finished all the story quest(excluding frame quests most of em). Sometimes i do bounties and rank stuff and thats it. Im planning on buying Anthem since it got same stuff but a "concrete" story quest, after a few months tho cos its still expensive AF in the first week, also im critical on the reviews. And if anthem dosent work for me then im heading back to my home game in steam, Dota2 🙂

Mr10, haven't done the majority of quests aside from the main story, yet you're complaining about not having anything to do? Mate you got plenty of stuff to do.

I'm going to stick with Warframe..I want the other games to do well since it goads De into some pretty competitive actions...which, tend to benefit the players of the game...Plus I have Elite Dangerous and I love space sims...but, I can't get past the credit grind..so taking on another uphill battle after having six years under my belt here...yeah'...those games would have to have some really special reasons for me to pick up one more time sink...

Though I'll admit if Apex Legends releases a PVE option that rewards my time or comes out with a free-to-play Titanfall PVE game....I would pick that up in a heart beat...because I am in the market for a new PVE adventure,,but, I don't trust EA..but I do still have some trust in Respawn...not so much Bioware...

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

I feel like you might just get a biased answer on the Warframe forum...

Seriously. 

Why ask something like this? It's your time and money. Only you know what you can manage or are willing to put up with. 

I've been playing WF for six years, I have no plans on stopping. 

I've played Destiny. It was...a less than salutary experience. The people I played it with will no longer touch it with any length of pole and Des2 was a steaming pile. Not happening. 

I've never had anything to do with any Division and have no plans on changing that. It's not my sort of game for a number of reasons.

Anthem. Remains to be seen. Again, most of my gaming friends are outright dismissive due to EA and the trainwreck that was ME:A. I'm waiting for the actual launch, some real reviews, and for whatever nastiness EA has planned to enable the money hats. A lot will depend on the monetization aspect. 

What I actually am going to be playing besides WF is Stellaris (for XB1), Red Dead 2, Genesis Alpha 1, and perhaps Outward. Also will be waiting on actual reviews of Rage 2. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sloan441 said:

Seriously. 

Why ask something like this? It's your time and money. Only you know what you can manage or are willing to put up with. 

I've been playing WF for six years, I have no plans on stopping. 

I've played Destiny. It was...a less than salutary experience. The people I played it with will no longer touch it with any length of pole and Des2 was a steaming pile. Not happening. 

I've never had anything to do with any Division and have no plans on changing that. It's not my sort of game for a number of reasons.

Anthem. Remains to be seen. Again, most of my gaming friends are outright dismissive due to EA and the trainwreck that was ME:A. I'm waiting for the actual launch, some real reviews, and for whatever nastiness EA has planned to enable the money hats. A lot will depend on the monetization aspect. 

What I actually am going to be playing besides WF is Stellaris (for XB1), Red Dead 2, Genesis Alpha 1, and perhaps Outward. Also will be waiting on actual reviews of Rage 2. 

I'm more looking at the situation in the sense that, well, looking for answers to this question presumably means looking for a breadth of opinions. And, well, you aren't going to get that here since the overall opinion of responses will be that Warframe is the best. Because, well... it's likely the vast majority of people here play Warframe. Which means that Warframe is going to get a lot more 'yes' remarks than other looter shooters, and a good proportion will have already decided that Warframe is worth playing in lieu of those other games, so are more likely to give them a 'no' remark, as opposed to a more general forum where you'll get a mix of opinions.

4 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I'm more looking at the situation in the sense that, well, looking for answers to this question presumably means looking for a breadth of opinions. And, well, you aren't going to get that here since the overall opinion of responses will be that Warframe is the best. Because, well... it's likely the vast majority of people here play Warframe. Which means that Warframe is going to get a lot more 'yes' remarks than other looter shooters, and a good proportion will have already decided that Warframe is worth playing in lieu of those other games, so are more likely to give them a 'no' remark, as opposed to a more general forum where you'll get a mix of opinions.

But I mean a lot of us are sort of "done" with Warframe for now and looking for something else. Sure if someone who never played any of these games asked me, I would absolutely advice them to check out Warframe before any of the other: free, tons of content, great community, etc. But my current situation is, that I have nothing much to do in Warframe now. I have formaed all my frames and weapons. I still need the two latest frames and some weapons here and there, but that's not enough to make me come back. I have a 5 figure platinum amount and nothing to spend it on. Fortuna didn't really do it for me, which I already knew it wouldn't because I didn't really enjoy PoE that much either. So until RailJack or some other major update, there's just not much reason for me to log in to Warframe. Which is why I will almost certainly be playing Anthem or Division 2 instead (well, Anthem, since I don't plan on getting Division 2). That doesn't mean I think it's better than Warframe. Just that for now it has more to offer me than Warframe does, since I've done everything I want to do in Warframe. And obviously haven't done anything in Anthem yet, and am looking forward to trying it.

1 minute ago, rune_me said:

But I mean a lot of us are sort of "done" with Warframe for now and looking for something else. Sure if someone who never played any of these games asked me, I would absolutely advice them to check out Warframe before any of the other: free, tons of content, great community, etc. But my current situation is, that I have nothing much to do in Warframe now. I have formaed all my frames and weapons. I still need the two latest frames and some weapons here and there, but that's not enough to make me come back. I have a 5 figure platinum amount and nothing to spend it on. Fortuna didn't really do it for me, which I already knew it wouldn't because I didn't really enjoy PoE that much either. So until RailJack or some other major update, there's just not much reason for me to log in to Warframe. Which is why I will almost certainly be playing Anthem or Division 2 instead (well, Anthem, since I don't plan on getting Division 2). That doesn't mean I think it's better than Warframe. Just that for now it has more to offer me than Warframe does, since I've done everything I want to do in Warframe. And obviously haven't done anything in Anthem yet, and am looking forward to trying it.

And, here you kind of prove my point. You still have loyalty to Warframe and say that the only reason you're looking to other games is due to a lack of stuff to do in Warframe for you right now. You're still saying that you don't really think any of the other games are better than Warframe. Which, if this wasn't a Warframe-focused board, you would be have people saying that they think Destiny is better than Warframe or Anthem is better than Warframe far more often than you would find on this forum.

The breadth of opinions is dramatically reduced because almost everyone here has some degree of fondness for this game, so there will be a skew towards the answer of 'Warframe'. Otherwise... why would they be here to see this thread?

I was in what was seemingly the minority of people who genuinely liked The Division, so I'll be picking up it's sequel. I'm not leaving Warframe for it, though. And I'm not touching the other two. I got Destiny 2 for free, but it still just doesn't interest me, and Anthem genuinely looks cool but is EA. 

I'm sticking to the Warframe camp for now. Anthem is a kinda maybe sorta chance, but, I need more story Intel before I don a javelin properly. Without a good one, it's nothing for me.

I'll watch someone play Destiny and the Division 2, but, I won't put any money into either myself. Already been burned by Destiny, while the Division simply isn't affordable or completely interesting for me.

At one point, I actually had moderate hopes for Borderlands 3, but, after the "Pitchford's Magic U.S.B." debacle, even those have crumbled a bit.

Dem it, so hard to find companies to support these days. Digital's been real nice in my eyes (Not perfect, but, human instead of "Corporate Tentacle Mass".), but I'd love to find others to share my "wealth" with. Anybody know of any?