The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag Builds/weapons - Share your knowledge please! :)

(PSN)RoiyaruYuujin

Question

I’m looking for help with building my Mag Prime. I’ve been told by a lot of people that Mag is barely a mid tier frame after several nerfs and not worth the Forma or time investment. At first I was listening to this ‘advice’ because I didn’t want to waste time and resources on a frame that wasn’t going to yield any results. My thought process on this quickly changed as I began to see players making impressive load outs on these so called “low/mid tier” frames. So I went back and took another look at Mag and began doing some research and it seems that people have a very poor understanding of Mag’s abilities and what she is capable of. Also comes across as though most people, including my friend, are looking for frames that they can cheese content with like Ember pre-nerf or Nidus who is basically unkillable with enough stacks(No disrespect intended). Which I can understand but I want to play a frame because I like and enjoy playing them instead of playing them because they are strong/meta. I’m a huge Magneto fan from Marvel so Mag was like love at first site.

At this point I’m looking for a few different builds for Mag to help me make it into the late/end game along with good weapon loadouts to synergize with her. I understand there isn’t a single load out that is perfect for all situations so I’m looking for a few that will help me in different situations.

My Current Mag Build:

http://warframe-builder.com/Warframes/Builder/Mag_prime/t_30_0300032020_4-2-5-5-5-5-6-0-5-8-8-5-14-3-5-55-4-5-411-6-10-418-7-5-481-1-10-612-9-5_6-11-481-7-4-9-14-9-55-11-5-5-411-8-418-11-8-5-612-9_0/en/1-0-11

(I don’t know how to change Polarities on the builder… If it’s possible please let me know how!)

Aura: Energy Siphon

Exilus: Coaction Drift

Transient Fortitude

Fleeting Expertise

Intensify

Primed Flow

Stretch

Continuity

Streamline

Rapid Resilience

I’ve Forma’d Mag Twice, Once to switch her Aura Polarity to Naramon Pol Naramon for Energy Siphon and Corrosive Projection. Also added a polarity of Vazarin Pol Vazarin to make room for Rapid Resilience(-75 Status reduction on self), which is one of my favorite defensive mods, helps a lot for stuff that goes through shields. I also have Mag’s Crush augment mod and Polarized Augment mod.

One of the things I’ve done a lot of research on for Mag is how to get the most out of her Magitize. High initial base damage(Charge weapons) weapons are the way to go, since only the initial raw damage of a projectile is transferred to the target of magitize and that addition projectiles from multishot are not calculated into this damage and don’t add nearly as much damage to the AoE effect of Magitize.

Primary Weapons I’ve focused on so far:

Mitter: I like mitter a lot, but seems like it’s going to take a lot of forma to get it up to par with other guns because there are no polarities in it. I have a very basic build in it right now and I can only fit six mods into it because of the lack of polarities. At first I liked the idea of Mitter’s augment mod Neutralizing Justice but I’m starting to think that it’s really not as good as I originally thought. I feel as though I could just as easily take out my secondary(Staticor 90% of the time) and rid of the shield just as easy. I don’t know if this changes on 150+ Corpus or not. Any insight on this weapon and it’s augment mod would be awesome!

Lanka: I just picked this weapon up a few days ago and am enjoying it so far. The charge shot on it felt a bit awkward at first but I’ve gotten used to it now, my biggest issue with it is it looks as though the projectile is coming from the side of my screen when I’m zoomed in which was throwing me off for a while. Also projectile speed seems to have a really big impact on this weapon in extremely long distance shots such as on the plains. Over all, even before having it fully leveled I can already tell it’s a strong weapon. I know it’s augment is extremely situational and I really have no interest in picking it up at all. Of the snipers in the game this one seems like it’s hands down the way to go.

Drakgoon: I’ve pretty much only leveled this weapon up, I wasn’t a huge fan of it from the start so I’ve not put a lot of effort into it but it does seem like it has some potential with Mag. I’m open to using it if I could get a good build together for it.

Rakta Cernos: At one point I thought about picking this weapon up because of the Blight on it would be amazing for energy regen, but since Unlocking more of the operator stuff I’m not having as much of an issue. Still seems like a neat weapon to play with if nothing else, any thoughts on this would help.

Arca Plasmor: I have no idea if this weapon is any good for Mag or not because it’s an energy weapon and doesn’t have a physical projectile but I am head over heels in love with this weapon. If anyone is aware of if this weapon is any good for Mag or not please let me know.

Lenz/Dread: I’ve been told that Dread has some potential with Mag because it has the highest Crit of all the bows with Lenz. Lenz I’m not sure if it would do the same thing or not because I know it’s initial damage is more or less a projectile with cold damage. Correct me if I’m wrong but most of its damage comes from the blast after the arrow lands.

As far as secondary weapons go I’m completely clueless as to what to use. I’ve read from several different post about how it’s not ideal to have all of her weapons geared towards her abilities. With that being said I’ve put the focus of my primary weapon on her abilities and synergy, which leaves me a bit clueless as to what to use when it comes to her secondary and melee(Until I get Zenistar).

Currently I’m using Staticor and am in love with this weapon, I don’t know how good it is late game but I’ve not had a problem with enemies between 100 and 150 so far.

Melee weapons I’m completely clueless on, at this point I’ve just been using my Orthos Prime because I have a potato and a forma in it and it seems to do pretty decent damage universally thus far but definitely has missions it shines on. I know the Zenistar is one I would like to try in the future for Mag but have not gotten it from the login reward yet . In the meantime I don’t know if I should just keep using my Orthos or try to pick up a melee weapon that has a projectile for Magitize.

1. Looking for help or suggestions on any and all builds for Mag.

2. Looking for help or suggestions on weapons(Primary, Secondary and Melee) and weapons builds for Mag.

3. Any advice that can be offered I will gladly accept and listen too. I’ve been playing a little under 2-3 months thus far so any advice from veteran mags would be awesome from the basics to the more advance mechanics. I want to know any and everything there is to know when it comes to her game play and how to play her better!

4. Currently I’m only mastery rank 12, almost 13 so I only have access to stuff up to that rank but would still be open to advice of higher ranked weapons if you feel they would work with Mag.

9 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, (PS4)RoiyaruYuujin said:

Looking for help or suggestions on any and all builds for Mag.

FWIW, this is my general use build:

Corrosive Projection, Vigilante Pursuit
Umbral Intensify, Augur Secrets
Stretch, Overextended
Streamline, Primed Continuity
Umbral Vitality, Counter Pulse

High Range on Pull is just too fun / useful, and on Crush it's super neat
to catch not just lotsa enemies but also your allies with it (Squad Overshields woo).

You seem to not put much importance on Duration,
which is fine for a Pull / Crush spam playstyle (*) of course,
but the mass coverage you can get from Polarize shouldn't be underestimated.

Decent Duration + Counter Pulse = stunning everything for a good bit
(high Range here also again helps, for the "burst" damage from affected enemies).

Gotta be a bit careful with your huge Magnetize bubbles to not annoy Squadmates,
but when you find the right spot, you'll get a good bit of mileage / chokepoint shredder fun out of them.

Having a Health buffer plus "auto heals" from Companions / Arcanes
is my preferred method to deal with Toxin damage / Slash procs / my Shields getting broken through.

(*) Your maxed out Streamline + Fleeting Expertise there is a no-no BTW,
Energy cost reduction caps at 75% so Rank 4 on those Mods for 175% Efficiency
would give you the same effect but also cost you less Duration and Capacity
(or use e.g. max Streamline + R3 Fleeting for 170% Efficiency, still plenty good).
If you have Energy problems, look into e.g. Zenurik Focus / Arcane Energize / Dethcube + Energy Generator.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)RoiyaruYuujin said:

(I don’t know how to change Polarities on the builder… If it’s possible please let me know how!)

Click the Forma icon in the upper right, that lets you polarize slots.

Edited by NinjaZeku

A good weapons to use with mag. Quanta vandal, staticor. Thats what i use with mag bubble build. Have some strength on build . Range n duration . n might also need some health or shield mods on some high lvl enemy. But that's for me n what i use with mag. A very fun way n great dmg. Especially staticor if have a fire rate riv. use bubble on all the enemy n shoot inside them. Lol easy fun :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

You seem to not put much importance on Duration,
which is fine for a Pull / Crush spam playstyle (*) of course,
but the mass coverage you can get from Polarize shouldn't be underestimated.

It's not that I don't realize the importance of Duration, it's just that this build itself didn't have a lot of Duration on it. There are a few other builds I have where I prioritize it more I just didn't want to put every single one of my builds up here. That's one of the reasons I was looking for suggestions for other builds and situations to use them. 

For example, I love range on Mag but I also know on certain maps, say Defense maps vs Corpus if I have a lot of range and am using counter pulse it's going to slow the match down. I'll be more or less stunning everyone before they can get tot he point and I'll be sitting there.

6 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

(*) Your maxed out Streamline + Fleeting Expertise there is a no-no BTW,
Energy cost reduction caps at 75% so Rank 4 on those Mods for 175% Efficiency
would give you the same effect but also cost you less Duration and Capacity
(or use e.g. max Streamline + R3 Fleeting for 170% Efficiency, still plenty good).
If you have Energy problems, look into e.g. Zenurik Focus / Arcane Energize / Dethcube + Energy Generator.

So this is interesting, would you mind explaining it a bit more? So I don't want any more then 175% efficiency from mods or as a whole? The base efficiency is 100% so I don't want to go any higher then 175% with mods? That being 100% from base and 75% from mods?

4 hours ago, (PS4)salem9080 said:

A good weapons to use with mag. Quanta vandal, staticor. Thats what i use with mag bubble build. Have some strength on build . Range n duration . n might also need some health or shield mods on some high lvl enemy. But that's for me n what i use with mag. A very fun way n great dmg. Especially staticor if have a fire rate riv. use bubble on all the enemy n shoot inside them. Lol easy fun 🙂

I have Staticor and I've actually put quiet a few forma into it. With the bubble though we're talking more single shots and not the charges though, yeah? I was curious for a while if energy weapons worked well with the bubble or not.

30 minutes ago, (PS4)RoiyaruYuujin said:

It's not that I don't realize the importance of Duration, it's just that this build itself didn't have a lot of Duration on it. There are a few other builds I have where I prioritize it more I just didn't want to put every single one of my builds up here. That's one of the reasons I was looking for suggestions for other builds and situations to use them. 

For example, I love range on Mag but I also know on certain maps, say Defense maps vs Corpus if I have a lot of range and am using counter pulse it's going to slow the match down. I'll be more or less stunning everyone before they can get tot he point and I'll be sitting there.

So this is interesting, would you mind explaining it a bit more? So I don't want any more then 175% efficiency from mods or as a whole? The base efficiency is 100% so I don't want to go any higher then 175% with mods? That being 100% from base and 75% from mods?

Energy cost for Abilities cannot go below 25% of it's original cost, which happens at +75%  Efficiency. That's hard-coded into the game. Any Efficiency above that is wasted.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, (PS4)RoiyaruYuujin said:

So this is interesting, would you mind explaining it a bit more? So I don't want any more then 175% efficiency from mods or as a whole?
The base efficiency is 100% so I don't want to go any higher then 175% with mods? That being 100% from base and 75% from mods?

Indeed. 175% Efficiency makes you reach the maximum (75%) cost reduction.

Mind you, it gets a bit more complicated on "toggled" abilities like Exalted Blade / World On Fire / etc,
the per-second Energy drain on those factors in both Efficiency and Duration.

For minimum drain, you could use e.g.
175% Efficiency and 100% Duration
130% Efficiency and 280% Duration
190% Efficiency and 40% Duration

Yes, Efficiency above 175% has an effect here, because it is only
the ultimate (per-second) cost that is capped at a 75% reduction, just like with any other ability.

Basically, think of it like this, the drain is X Energy per Y time.
X depends on the ability and is affected by Efficiency Mods.
Y is 1 second by default and is affected by Duration Mods.
Whatever you end up with is then adjusted to a per-one-second value to be shown on the Abilities page.

... I hope that made at least some sense lol, this might also help:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Ability_Duration#Energy_Drain_for_Toggled_Abilities

Edited by NinjaZeku

12 hours ago, (PS4)RoiyaruYuujin said:

I just picked up Mara Detron I think it was from the void trader. That weapon scales well with Magnetize? 

My 3 Forma Riven Build (With a mod slot left) melts a level 110 Corroputed Heavy Gunner Eximus in 2 Shots ^_ --250Dmg, 119Sc, -zoom riven--

Pox is Insane too, but i usually don't use it because of its very low ammo max,