(XB1)Cubic Clem

How do you "main" a Warframe or a Weapon, when there is always new stuff on the way?

There's never anything released that trumps what I deem is best for my needs.

If it's a frame. I can wait for the prime version.

Even if there is a weapon that comes out that's considered good. It really won't compete until you get a good riven. 

With the exception of a few outliers, the riven system pretty much relegates any new weapon to MR fodder no matter how cool it seems.

• Like 2
  • Satisfied 1

I think the term "main" could mean a lot of things, like:
• Favorite/most played/go-to frame or weapon
• Mastered, as in you have a deep understanding of the frame's abilities, synergies and how to build it for maximum potential
• Have invested too much into it (fully forma as opposed to other frames/weapon that doesn't even have a reactor/catalyst installed)

IDK why some people think you CANNOT main a frame because there's always new ones coming in. Some people are happy and satisfied with their current frame, so they can't be bothered with the new frames. The same goes for the weapons.
It's just different preferences. Other prolly don't have a main because they like using different stuff all the time or they simply do not have a favorite, and then there are people who sticks with what they like.

• Like 3
  • Satisfied 1

I could say I main Mag (Prime) right now, but I tend to switch what frames I play for fissure missions...sorties...etc.. every week or two.

• Satisfied 1

If another frame comes out that has Zephyr's aerial handling, maybe it'll dislodge her from my most played slot. Until then, I won't switch out unless it's absolutely necessary.

Yes, I do like her floatyness. Now I've adapted to it, every other frame feels far too heavy.

• Satisfied 1

I main Mag Prime as well with over 250k kills with her. She fits my style. Mag reminds me of the good old days of the Mass Effect series where I would always use a biotic in all 4 of the games and she fits that roll to me. Her ablities aren't very convoluted or insanely powerful where using her ablities is more effective than using any weapons you have available. I.e. Saryn and Equinox! I'm more of a gun user and I perfer my ablities to complement my guns such as Magnetize with Exergis which is my new found favorite weapon that feels almost like my favorite weapon in the ME series the Claymore shotgun! But I always use new frames I forma them up getting thousands of kills in the process then I put them away until I feel like changing things up a bit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

I'm really curious.. I've played this game for over 4 years now (almost 5) and I never was able to say "I main this Warframe and those weapons" .. there's constantly new stuff added with interesting mechanics etc. and it seems almost impossible to me to focus on one set of gear.. 

The question popped in my mind because I fell in love with baruuk because he's well rounded, but there's already 2 new warframes coming soon, which 1 of them I'm really looking forward to..

Help me 😞

This is also one of the reasons I'm not into rivens, since we're having such a huge arsenal that it's impossible to get rivens for every existing weapon + new ones that come out..

Don't get me wrong, I love new weapons and Warframes, but it's kind of impossible for me to settle on specific gear when there's tons of stuff added. I don't have this issue in other games since the gear there is always limited.. but Warframe literally is constantly growing..

Familiarity and comfort, mostly.

Mag was my starter and I got really comfortable using her kit, then Magnetize happened and I had a lot of fun finding synergy with that ability, my weapons and even other teammates abilities and weapons. 

I play around with the other Warframes to do some meta builds when someone asks for a specific team comp, but, the challenge of finding the right combo of build, weapons and tactics for every faction and mission is what keeps me coming back to Mag. 

• Like 5

Maybe I worry too much about the whole "maining" thing..

I'm also the type that mostly picks what is best for the situation, but Baruuk kind of changed that, heck, I bring him into spy missions because his daggers destroy cameras with neat precision.. 

And weapons, oh god, .. so. Many. Weapons. ×_× 

At the moment I could say I 'Main' Khora. I find she's super useful in many many situations. Like almost every single mission aside from perhaps one or two, I bring Khora. She's the most fun I've had in a while. Before Khora it was Nova and before that, Zephyr and Saryn. This does not count Eidolons and Profit Taker.  

If I find a mission that I don't think benefits Khora, I usually end up bringing out Nova or Saryn. Nova helps me cheese most spies and Saryn let's me require less APM on Defence and Exterminates. (Though even then, I still bring Khora a lot of the time now a days.)

At the moment the only time this is an exception is if I feel like playing another frame due to slight monotony (Sometimes I like to bust out Ember, Nyx or Mirage), if I'm playing Defection or Profit Taker (Oberon), PoE/Lephantis/PlagueStar (Titania) or Eidolons. Otherwise, almost all the time I'm playing Khora.  

• Like 1

It really depends on how you see the game, what you want from it, and how you like to play.

You could definitely main a frame if you want to. I only play other frames when I absolutely have to (like grinding MR and what not).

txcst8T.png

• Like 3
  • Satisfied 1

I am attached to Titania because I find her kit versatile and useful mostly. I enjoy to play with her and like the ability to fly also she has a unique idle stance which makes her very unique. I know there is a Wisp along the way but still I love my Titania <3.

Maining is mostly mean you play the most with that thing because you enjoy it the most. I have some frames and items and I enjoy to use all of them when the needs come to use but I like the free roam options and just hang out with these frames.

Of course my first frame was not Titania because she is not a starter frame but she was the first what I got.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Gabbynaru said:

"I'm most comfortable with this Warframe/Weapon, so I use it most". 

Screenshot_20190213-123554_zpstttoaaln.p

Yup, 95% of time you will see me maining Mesa Prime and AkVasto Prime. When I used to main Mesa and Vasto Prime. And before that it was Mesa and AkVasto. So it's steadily evolved. But the end result I was going for is still the same. Hence my in game tag name. 

So yeah main = favorite. Not necessarily for every mission. Although I could take her on every mission. I'm a good team player, so if my party wants me to run something different I can. But Mesa Prime and AkVasto Prime is and will always be my favorite "go to" . 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82
  • Like 1

Kesheg is the best melee weapon in the game. How can anyone not main it?

Edited by K4RN4
  • Haha 3

The short answer is I know what I like and enjoy, and I choose to play those frames and weapons over any new items coming out because I know I won't enjoy them because they don't fit my play-style.

The long one is that most new weapons and frames don't interest me. I am a Loki prime main with my playtime on him coming to about 55% with 1800 hours on my account total. I love how he looks and moves along with his skill sets. Mesa and now Mesa Prime is my secondary main. It's the same thing as Loki; I love how she plays and looks. Most new frames coming out have powers and looks I don't care for, so all they are to me are mastery fodder for leveling.

I can say the same thing about my weapons choice. I prefer DMRs and only two of the shoguns in the game over everything else because I don't like aoe weapons or full autos. I find those weapons to be boring. I have full rivens for all the weapons I use, so when a new weapon that does fit into that category I enjoy comes out. I don't play that weapon until I get a riven for it because it will not as well as my rivened weapons.

I don't believe in pick the right tool for the job philosophy. That kills game interest for me. Instead, I believe become a master of your chosen weapon style and frame by playing it exclusively to the point you know it's ins and outs like the back of your hand. I would rather be a master of one instead of a jack of many.

• Like 6

The 'new shiny' can get stale fast if there is nothing interesting about them or if it's simply another powercreeped meta item with nothing but overpoweredness, which is how my Saryn and Mesa landed in the hypothetical dumpster to catch dust.

I main Banshee, Harrow and Trinity because i find them the most fun, interesting and rewarding the way i built them while also being some of my best looking frames.

If a frame improves your situational awareness, aim or simply makes you think a bit more than mindlessly mashing a few buttons just to figure out a possibly viable synergy, then imo. that frame is better than the others.

New shiny items with forgettable random gimmicks won't do for long, especially if their whole concept isn't interesting for me to begin with and we didn't get anything that i find particularly interesting ever since Harrow beyond maybe Limbo's, Destreza's or Rubico's upgrade and those are only upgrades of already existing weapons. (been waiting for them, but still)

• Satisfied 1
  • Applause 2

3 hours ago, Naftal said:

You don't main anything.

When people say they main something, they just mean that is their favourite thing and that can change tomorrow.

3 hours ago, kyori said:

Those that said they main this n that are usually people who came from other games that can main this n that, they just bring their mentality into warframe. 

3 hours ago, KnossosTNC said:

Yeah, I don't get this concept of "mains" either. I just use whatever frame and weapons I think are best for the job. I do have my favourites - Ivara, Corinth, Pandero, Redeemer Prime - which I use for the personal pleasure of using them. However, it's not like I use them all the time - or even most of the time.

2 hours ago, (PS4)sarahsaurusx2014 said:

Ive pointed this out before lol why would you only choose 3% of the possible frames to play

I really don't see why people (not OP but others in the thread) don't understand what it means to "main" a warframe, and I really don't understand some of this anti-main sentiment in this thread. Maining means you simply prefer the aesthetics or gameplay of a particular frame. It's not about what's "best for the job" or about bringing over a non-Warframe mindset to the game. It's simply that you like something about a particular frame more than the rest, and therefore you use that frame more than you do the rest.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
  • Like 5
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 2

For me the thing is that I tend to use certain frames and weapons over certain others, that means "maining" for me on warframe.

That means, I take ember prime over any other frame for most content because I like her. I enjoy spamming her 2+3 combo into groups of enemies and I liem to keep myself on the move to avoid death rather than just tank the damage.

That dont force me to play her on everything, I play other frames, but I tend to default myself to play her every now and then because of this.

Same can be said about weapons. I like certain weapons way more than others or feel way more comfortable using them, and even when I take other weapons+frames combos, I tend to use way more consistently my "default" loadout.

• Satisfied 1

I've never particularly had a "main". I like to swap constantly just to change things up. I have every warframe potatoed and formaed, and most non melee weapons. I just kind of pick whatever I think sounds effective and fun for that particular mission. I do have certain "go to" load outs  for when I just want to get things done though.

• Like 1

I mostly used Nidus, but I still wouldn't call myself Nidus main.

Nidus is my comfort zone, he is tanky, he can heal, buff, nuke... kinda like a swish knife, not particularly good at anything but can do everything. I still do switch frames often and especially lately I find myself experimenting with and building more and more frame builds. I just wish leveling frames wasn't as tedious.

• Satisfied 1

I Main my chosen frame because I deeply enjoy his playstyle and love finding ways to achieve the game's content using him over selecting something custom-picked. I find that more fun.

This is also why I tend not to main weapons, at least not for very long. I have accrued a set of weapons I use preferentially over others but ultimately I can't really be said to 'main' any of my tools of destruction.

• Satisfied 1

3 hours ago, Ksaero said:

It will never change.

35i7sq4.png

thats some awesome stats, looking at my own stats i was kinda of the impression that the stats are typically underrepresented and wrong, as an example i used to use ivara a lot in akkad to do semi-afk infested killing for affinity, sat up top out of reach on a zipwire throwing death to all with a kulstar yet her stats say shes only killed a mere 120 enemies, makes me wonder just how accurate the stats are, other stuff i feel ive rarely used yet their stats are way ahead of other things....

4 hours ago, Naftal said:

You don't main anything.

When people say they main something, they just mean that is their favourite thing and that can change tomorrow.

Some people do actually "main" specific weapons or frames.  Those are the ones they most enjoy, or actually the only ones they care to use.  When something new comes out they rank it up once for Mastery, then shelve or delete it.  Some people don't want to buy more slots, some people just *really* only care about one specific playstyle.  I can't say how widespread it is, but I'm sure it happens.  I think I checked a profile once (to get a better look at the Fashionframe) and noticed that the player had something like 47% played on one warframe, even though they were MR 25 or so.  That would mean they spend a *massive* proportion of their time playing that one frame.

I'm pretty much the opposite.  I keep everything, and bounce from frame to frame just for variety.  I do have the most time played on Mag and Mag Prime (I think together they might be about 10% or so.)  But I tend to just go with whatever seems fun, or even themed setups to go with a specific Tennogen.  I've got duplicates of most frames.  Usually one standard, and one Prime (if available.)  And in many cases an additional so that I can have an Umbra mod build without wrecking my original preferred setup or being locked into just one specific build forever.  (Umbral mods are so expensive that I even though mine are only at about 14 capacity each instead of max, I often have to forma every other slot to get enough room for them to fit.)

Warframe and weapon slots aren't that expensive.  I'd rather get more slots than delete something.  It took me ages to decide to get rid of the rank 0 duplicates of the Anniversary weapons, even though I knew I'd probably never have any reason to level them up.

• Like 2
  • Satisfied 1
  • Applause 2
  • Upvote 1

Depends what they mean by main.  When I say I main Valkyr, it means I take her into new content when going in blind because I trust her kit the most (and she has an oops ability in hysteria).  Though this has slightly changed as I’ve become better at not making silly mistakes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Naftal said:

You don't main anything.

You have no idea how absolutely wrong you are.

• Like 3
  • Satisfied 6
  • Applause 1

i always thought main in warframe is just the stuff you find your self default using most of the time over anything else or swap to it when your bored of your current weapon or frame 

like for me its Harrow x Corinth because 1 priest with a shot gun 2 priest with a shotgun that has a under barrel grenade launcher 3 its a name of a greek city i like 

• Like 1
  • Satisfied 1