Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

See You Next Week

Kamal965

Yeeeep, they suck. Thankfully, I'll be getting an unlimited connection the next time I pay my bill; i.e: in ten days. Granted, I'll be downgraded to 1mbps, but it's worth it.

... Ten days of 256kbps. God save me.

Anyhow, I calculated how long it will take me to download the update. I downloaded 20mb in half an hour, so on average, that's 40mb / hour. It's a 440 mb update, which results in... 11 hours of downloading.

Yeah... no, screw that. I'll let it download as I sleep.

Yeeeep, they suck. Thankfully, I'll be getting an unlimited connection the next time I pay my bill; i.e: in ten days. Granted, I'll be downgraded to 1mbps, but it's worth it.

... Ten days of 256kbps. God save me.

:(

I always had unlimited 4mbps (In a third-world country which no one has heard of)...I can't believe ISPs would commit such an ATROCIOUS crime against humanity...

I always had unlimited 4mbps (In a third-world country which no one has heard of)

Great, now I'm really curious which country you're referring to.  Give me a hint: what continent is it on?  Africa?  Asia?  

I always had unlimited 4mbps (In a third-world country which no one has heard of)...I can't believe ISPs would commit such an ATROCIOUS crime against humanity...

The United States has abysmal internet.  I am currently on a 4 mbps plan, but it never actually gets above 2 (and by never, I mean literally never).  There are random slowdowns and outages (sometimes lasting for days), and I pay $60 a month for that.  There is only 1 possible ISP to choose from.  One of my friends had dial-up until last year, and he lived in a populated suburban town.  He now has a 1 mbps plan, with a monthly cap of 0.6 gigabits. 

Why is all of this allowed, you ask?  Because the US government declared (among other things) that ISPs are allowed to be monopolies, as internet is a privilege instead of a necessity. 

Great, now I'm really curious which country you're referring to.  Give me a hint: what continent is it on?  Africa?  Asia?  

Malaysia (South-East Asia). ISP is the local telecommunication Company. Appropriately named Telekom. The service is named Streamyx.

I pay the equivalent of around 42.50 USD a month, service is quite good. I haven't experienced an outage in the last year I subscribed.

The United States has abysmal internet.  I am currently on a 4 mbps plan, but it never actually gets above 2 (and by never, I mean literally never).  There are random slowdowns and outages (sometimes lasting for days), and I pay $60 a month for that.  There is only 1 possible ISP to choose from.  One of my friends had dial-up until last year, and he lived in a populated suburban town.  He now has a 1 mbps plan, with a monthly cap of 0.6 gigabits. 

Why is all of this allowed, you ask?  Because the US government declared (among other things) that ISPs are allowed to be monopolies, as internet is a privilege instead of a necessity. 

Huh. I always thought the US would have Fiber Internet that does more than 10mbps yet is very reliable and cheap...

Monopolies certainly are pains in the bums. ISPs really need competition to be good, don't they?

Waitaminute, we are talking about MegaBITS per second and not MegaBYTES per second, right? 'cause I'm getting 4 MegaBITS per second.

Malaysia (South-East Asia).

Well, that's not that bad.  At least you're not living in a war-torn African or Middle-Eastern nation. 

Although I will shamefully admit that the American stereotype of not knowing about any other country is more or less true.  I know several people who believe Europe is a country, and who probably could not locate more than 2-4 other countries on a world map (they know Canada, maybe Britain and Russia, and that's about it). 

Huh. I always thought the US would have Fiber Internet that does more than 10mbps yet is very reliable and cheap...

There is fiber in most major cities, but it's still extremely expensive and generally slower than in other first-world countries.  However, around 80% of the US population lives outside of the 10 largest cities.  For many of those people, the remaining choices are almost equally terrible. 

Waitaminute, we are talking about MegaBITS per second and not MegaBYTES per second, right? 'cause I'm getting 4 MegaBITS per second.

Yeah, I was referring to megabits per second as well.  I misspoke at the end (I meant to say that my friend had a cap of .6 gigabytes per month).