Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

orb valis design is a confusing, convoluted mess.

numanoid

It is supposed to be a bit confusing.
It is a new "land" we just discovered. The more you roam around in Vallis, the more you get used to it.

For the caves:
If you find a cae, it gets marked on the map. If you get close, the cave-entrances will show up on the map aswell.

Spoiler

DphtKJP.png

Just click on the spoiler. It contains a map of all the caves in Vallis.
The numbers are there for a youtube video. Every numbered cave has Toroids in it. (Only interesting if you want to farm Toroids by searching caves)

Edited by WhiteMarker
  • Like 3

It is supposed to be a bit confusing.
It is a new "land" we just discovered. The more you roam around in Vallis, the more you get used to it.

For the caves:
If you find a cae, it gets marked on the map. If you get close, the cave-entries will show up on the map aswell.

Spoiler

DphtKJP.png

Just click on the spoiler. It contains a map of all the caves in Vallis.
The numbers are there for a youtube video. Every numbered cave has Toroids in it. (Only interesting if you want to farm Toroids by searching caves)

I don't like the fact that unlike in the plains you can't find your way back to Fortuna in a quick glance on the environment no matter where you are. In the plains, I just have to find the big tower and go towards it. But when it comes about Fortuna it's much harder if you're on the edges of the map.

The fortuna entrance emits a smoke trail that is only visible if you are around the center. The obvious fix for that issue would be to make that smoke trail much longer and thicker, so you're able to see it from everywhere. All you would have to do it just moving towards it.

7 minutes ago, D20 said:

I don't like the fact that unlike in the plains you can't find your way back to Fortuna in a quick glance on the environment no matter where you are. In the plains, I just have to find the big tower and go towards it. But when it comes about Fortuna it's much harder if you're on the edges of the map.

The fortuna entrance emits a smoke trail that is only visible if you are around the center. The obvious fix for that issue would be to make that smoke trail much longer and thicker, so you're able to see it from everywhere. All you would have to do it just moving towards it.

To me this is what I like more about Fortuna and Vallis.
It makes me feel tiny in a huge landscape.

It's confusing in the first missions, and you get used to i.

Personnaly, i loved get a bit lost in it, and i love randomly discovering all the caves and artefacts they droped. When i discovered the "Pearl" and the grid defense ruin, i was looking for Fortuna entrance and i was totally lost. Those moments are reaaly cool imo, and obviously they disappear very quick, once you know the map.

• Like 1

Personally for me when it comes to 'Open World' I love to explore every nook, cranny and Corpus bunker. Honestly even after playing Orb Vallis since it came out I still get lost every now and then, but I've played enough that a quick glance at the map will let me know where I generally am.

But I like that when it's an 'Open World' or Open Enviroment/tileset in Orb Vallis' case. Yeah it's big, new and confusing, caves can be problematic to find and explore for every supply cache and spy missions are hard. But that's just that. It's supposed to feel this way to instill a sense of discovery, adventure and lack of direction. I get annoyed with the Spy missions but that's just because of my aggressive play-style most of the time. You are infiltrating a Corpus Base, it should be kind of difficult right?

Plains of Eidolon felt somewhat like this when it first came out but became trivial overtime. I didn't really like that. I felt like I did everything there was to do and no real sense of going back.

Some tips though: Take some time and ride around on your K-Drive or even Archwing, it helps a LOT to get a birds eye view

Find the major bases and make a mental note on where they are on the map, maybe even keep checking back at the map every now and then as the big locations are labeled

Run through the big bases to get a feel for the place before doing spy bounties

Caves get a marker when you discover them

Practice and exploration makes perfect, sometimes rushing or focusing primarily on missions isn't the best path to follow

6 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

To me this is what I like more about Fortuna and Vallis.
It makes me feel tiny in a huge landscape.

You do know smoke like that should be visible for miles. Right? Especially if I'm at the highest point on the map. Guess we can blame the sub par rendering that is Warframes "open world"....

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82

1 minute ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

You do know a smoke stack like that should be visible for miles. Right? Especially if I'm at the highest point on the map. Guess we can blame the sub par rendering that is Warframes "open world"....

You know that there is stuff like fog and such. I'm sure the air in Vallis is pretty polluted, making it difficult to look far.
And not every smoke stack is the same. Not every smoke stack is 10 miles high.

What are we arguing about?
I just said, that I like the fact that finding the exit, or finding stuff in general, is a bit more difficult in Vallis. This makes the map seem even bigger. And being big is on of the points of an open world map, don't you think?

31 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

This makes the map seem even bigger. And being big is on of the points of an open world map, don't you think?

Except when everything looks the same. Distinguishing land marks are what makes maps feel "big". And If I can't see them from the highest point of the map I completely loose immersivness and become disinterested and frustrated. Example the space station, that laser thing that shoots out of the top should be seen throughout the whole map, yet we can't.... 

28 minutes ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

Except when everything looks the same. Distinguishing land marks are what makes maps feel "big". And If I can't see them from the highest point of the map I completely loose immersivness and become disinterested and frustrated. Example the space station, that laser thing that shoots out of the top should be seen throughout the whole map, yet we can't.... 

But that's not how things work.
If the air isn't clear, but dirty and polluted, then it gets more difficult to see stuff from afar.

Just you standing on top of the Empire State Building won't lead to you seeing everything in Manhattan, if there is rain, or fog, or higher air pollution.

29 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

Just you standing on top of the Empire State Building won't lead to you seeing everything in Manhattan, if there is rain, or fog, or higher air pollution.

if I was standing at the top of the Empire State building I would certainly see a big huge freaking laser light shooting out of the top of the One World Trade Center regardless of pollution fog or snow. I could also most certainly see big thick dense black smoke. 

1 minute ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

if I was standing at the top of the Empire State building I would certainly see a big huge freaking laser light shooting out of the top of the "one world trade center" regardless of pollution fog or snow. I could also most certainly see big thick dense black smoke. 

And now we know that you never had to deal with thick fog, heavy rain/snowfall.
That's good for you. But not every place is like yours.