The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The problem with Energy Leech units.

Faya_Pawa

i noticed that when i'm near an Energy Leech unit, Their energy drain rate stays the same, Whether i use mods/abilities such as Energy Siphon, Zenurik's Energy Pulse & Energizing Dash, and so forth.

In my opinion it is unrealistic, Energy gain by mods/abilities should counteract Leeching effect by reducing it's draining rate depending on your energy gain. 

Edited by Faya_Pawa

Other suggestions is to only let them leech a certain amount of your total enery pool (ex 80%), and when you kill them they drop some of the leeched energy.

You could also turn them into different type where instead of taking your energy, they reduce your efficiency. Then you dont lose everything and have a choice in your actions.

In any case, eximus units shouldnt stack imo.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nova-XI said:

Other suggestions is to only let them leech a certain amount of your total enery pool (ex 80%), and when you kill them they drop some of the leeched energy.

You could also turn them into different type where instead of taking your energy, they reduce your efficiency. Then you dont lose everything and have a choice in your actions.

i like the idea of efficiency decreasing....its the one thing we really CANT control once we are in mission after all.

• Like 1

My main issue with energy leeches is that even a single unit has:

- crazy high drain rate, on par with zenuric void dash energy regeneration,

- no visible sign of the draining occurring, unless the player keeps cheking the energy level ossessively,

- unclear and unmarked maximum range, on units usually fast enough to overtake most frames,

- effect occur trough walls and other obstacles, sometimes from an adiacent tile even,

- difficult to identify as the leech unit itself is no different from its brenthen and unnoticeable unless you read their name in the UI (if you have it enabled),

- massively and needlessly stacking effect, since even the minimum drain completely negates all energy regeneration (think 4 auras, zenurick effect and limbo rift combined, nope no more energy regen even with a single leech in range);

- no energy refund from slaughtering the offending unit/s, what the heck do they do with the leeched energy?

In general eximus units aren't different enough from regular ones and if an ancient disruptor is in the area, it's aura covers the eximus ones to add to the confusion.

• Like 1

Hm.. I don't mind them as much as a lot of ppl here seem to, but I think giving back some amount of energy (even just a guaranteed orb on death) is a cool idea. Maybe they can turn that on for a weekend or smth and see how it affects gameplay. I think that's worth a look

Honestly, it's come up so many times I just assume it's a situation where DE has no other ideas.

They've proven Energy Drain and Gain can work together through Equinox's 3rd ability. They actually added Energy drain halting gains, then also added that it works through channel abilities, they massively increased the number of energy leech units for Grineer / Infested and now even have Corpus Energy leech Eximus.

The mechanic also has flaws similar to old Scrambus where their Aura is not defined. Not restricted to line of sight and continues to drain after you've left it's radius. This isn't the real cheese though. That real stinky comes from Disruptor's Energy Drain attack scaling. They can one-shot your energy pool.

4 hours ago, CriticalFumble said:

It slowed to the pace of a narcoleptic tortoise by a cluster of Arctic Exis. 

You're still moving that fast? I feel like I'm moving slower than a dog turd in Siberia when ganged up like that.

But yeah, having them at least drop some energy when killed would be nice instead of leaving you empty.

18 hours ago, Nova-XI said:

Yes, to all of this. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

2022 and the things are still everywhere taking away the one thing that makes playing different frames special... (abilities) love that someone came up with the idea for this mechanic and no doubt was rewarded for their brilliance.

Yeah nullifiers aren't that different. What I really like is when you get both so you just spent your last drop of energy on an ability and then a nullie clips you or it through a wall and 🎉 it's magical. Kind of feels like being a homeless person drained of all your personal possessions and protection.. then being laid on the road as an inexpensive speed bump on a highway.

It's good at least that energy drain isn't a status effect so mods that reduce or remove those have no effect on it.. truly genius.

If killing an energy leech released back the energy it stole from you.. that would make it a fun game mechanic as there's a way to redeem things if you can hunt it down. Alternatively it should require line of sight and regardless of everything it needs a visible aura so players can tell where the AOE range on drain goes to (allowing for idk.. some kind of skill or strategy based gameplay.. if that's still something we care about)

• Like 2